Belden, MS
Uploaded By: bazkitcase5 Hole #2

Trace Gold

2-4    3/10/2014   3/25/2014
Review By: dmbrun2
Pros: The views are beautiful! It is a long course, but not just long as in throw drivers each shot until you are at the basket, you have to have placement shots. For a person with a short arm, this makes the playing field a little more even with the long arms.

The hole design themselves are top of the line.. I love hole four. Hole five through ten are some of the best water holes I have ever had the privilege of losing discs on. Hole ten is a signature hole, and one of my favorites any where.

Overall, it is very challenging which makes for a great play.

Cons: The course itself is a little confusing to navigate without a map of the course. Losing discs can suck, but I think that adds to the fun personally.

5 Star Disc Golf!!

2-4    11/11/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: blazo
This review was updated on 11/12/2012
Pros: This is Mississippi disc golf. Championship level course, well-trimmed Bermuda grass everywhere, top-notch design, good variety, challenging, lots of concrete pads. Tons of money and tons of love put into this course!
Cons: This is a tough course, so noobs stick to the shorts, good players get over here this is how good disc golf should be played in this beautiful Mississippi land!
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing. Don't let the one star and half star reviews fool you. Without those people sour about some baskets missing for however long, the score would be way higher. Went there yesterday and saw baskets everywhere, 24 of them, and all easy to navigate! Played there again 11/11/12 and came back here to update my review - this course is one of the top five I've played in my life, and I've played everywhere in Michigan!

2012 SNDC

1    7/20/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: manglin
Pros: (I'm reviewing the Trace Gold Course)

The course was in great shape for the SNDC. Fairways were mowed and trees were pruned to perfection. The course has nice baskets that are clearly marked. Playing from the long tees, you the shorter tee signs along the way that worked as "yardage markers", similar to ball golf.

Benches and trash cans abounded. The course plays around water and provide a good use of the mild elevation changes. Some holes were open while some played through the woods.

This is a championship caliber course.
Cons: This course is for a limited set of players: the super long arms. It was fun to play in doubles format, but as Intermediate player, I would likely not enjoy this course by myself.
Other Thoughts: I'm reviewing this after playing the Southern Nationals Doubles Championship. The course was in pristine condition.

Woulda coulda shoulda been awesome.

1    4/16/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: Mach7
Pros: - The course is beautiful at a glance with stunning lakes used as OB on almost half of the holes. The course's lush green fairways are well maintained.

- Cool wrought iron tee signs that are custom made and offer you a place to hang your bag.

- Lots of long bomber holes for the big arms, with a good variety of technical holes.

- Concrete tee pads on all 18. Most of the holes feature multiple tees.

- Excellent risk/reward. The use of the lakes as OB is very well done with clever basket placement. The course gives you the opportunity for birdies, but fairly penalizes bad or overaggressive throws.

Cons: - Missing baskets. I followed the maps of Old Warrior Run and Trace Gold, yet couldn't find 6+ baskets on the course. I ended up playing to trees near where the baskets should have been.

- Multiple long walks between baskets and tees.

- Poor navigation signs.

- Some of the open holes, in the middle stretch of the course, become repetitive.

- Campers in the center of fairways. This is unacceptable on a pay-to-play course.
Other Thoughts: Old Warrior Run has the makings of a 4-star course, yet not being able to find baskets, poor navigation and tents in the fairways ruined what should have been an amazing experience.

A bit of a mess

1    4/9/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: fractalzoom
Other Thoughts: So.. Old Warrior Run is the highest rated course in Mississippi. Seems like a great destination for a road trip, amirite? 10 hours of driving and hitting a couple of great courses in the area - we were really looking forward to this one.

The day couldn't have been better. A little windy to make those over the water holes more challenging, but sunny, beautiful, and no mosquitoes. We're new to this course, but we've got our maps... should be a piece of cake, right?

It was easy to find the tees. They had cool signs and a place to hang your bag. The tees were always nice and good for a nice runup.. but the baskets. Where are the goddamn baskets? I think half the baskets were missing/moved/something.

I have generally low standards for what a course should be. I don't care about concrete tees (I can throw from grass). I don't care too much about old, rusty baskets. What I care about is if there are actually baskets around. It's the *one* essential thing to make a disc golf course. I can't tell you how times we line up to tee off.. and go down the fairway to find nothing. We ended up playing to random trees.

If I can get past not having a basket to throw to, the course was good, not great. I can't figure out how it got rated so much higher than the other courses in the area.

...and if you're going to pay... like, hand money over to someone - there's the presumption that this person may, I dunno, pass on some information. Something like, "Hey man, the course is messed up today, we moved/removed a bunch of baskets because we like f*cking with people... so be wary." Nothing like that.

Clearly the place is well maintained. Everything outside of the disc golf course was great. It was just such a weird disconnect to have so many missing baskets.

Suffice to say, I was dissappointed.

Highly over-rated course not well-maintained

1    4/16/2011   4/25/2011
Review By: tweissm
Pros: Beautiful camp ground area with a nice lake and some rolling hills.

We were very excited to play here, as the reviews of the course are pretty high.

However, the experience was so un-inspiring that it actually inspired me to write a review.
Cons: I have no problem paying to play at a course. In fact, my preference would be to pay, if it means the course is going to be maintained and developed. This course doesn't seem to be either.

The course had at least 8 missing baskets, and horrendous signage between holes. The staff at the front had no clue which layout was currently in place and there didn't seem to be any logic to why some baskets were simply not there and others were.

We had both maps for the two layouts, and we aren't newbies to finding our way around unfamiliar courses. But, this place was just not user friendly.

There were campers all over and on hole 18 we had to drive down in to tents and lawn chairs.

Overall if was frustrating getting around and dissappointing to have so many missing baskets with very little help from the paid staff.
Other Thoughts: If you go to this area of the country, don't waste your time here. Spend it at Bud Hill.

Absolutely Worth the Drive.

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: ibekent
This review was updated on 11/8/2010
Pros: I've played few courses with better holes. I've played few courses that are as well marked and kept. I don't think I've ever played a course with the combination of both.

The course has cool, distinctive tee signs (with bag hooks) that are easy to locate; they make directional signs largely uneccesarry. However, there are clear directional signs where needed. The course has great flow and is easy to navigate. It starts and ends (in the standard layout) with a few, easier, open shots, but quickly moves to a series of technical, wooded shots and longer shots with water hazards and tight OB. The course designers calculated difficult but playable distances and angles. It's really excellent.

Most holes have multiple tees and/or pin placements. The tees are good size, level, and concrete. Trash cans, a few benches, water, and restrooms are available. The course surrounds a lake in a state park and is incredibly clean and well trimmed.
Cons: The only significant negative is that two shots (#3 and #4) cross a paved road. Any other issues are minor: there is a relatively long walk leading to 5 and the tee signs are not descriptive. You may have to take a stroll down the fairway to know exactly where the pin is on a few wooded shots.
Other Thoughts: In the standard layout, the course has only one really long shot. But the alterate layout and some provisional holes provide plenty of distance for advanced players. I'll definitley play this course when I'm back in the area; it's worth a trip.

Pride of North MS

5+    2/13/2010   2/26/2010
Review By: jaswan79
Pros: This course has it all. You really have to reach into the bag and use every throw you know. You have tight wooded holes, water holes, elevation changes, blind shots, and beautiful scenery. This course really has an unbelievable mix, and now there is a gold formation that will blow your mind.
Cons: Some of the teepads need updating. Some of them are too short and not wide enough for the longer holes. That's the only con I can think of.
Other Thoughts: This is a must-play course. If you want to have a look at the course go to youtube and type in Trace Open and there is a video of some of the Gold Course being played.

Mississippi Gem

1    3/25/2009   1/23/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: This is well-designed 18 hole course that is extremely well kept and is quite challenging. This course has excellent variety of hole styles and hole lengths requiring every shot in your bag. I liked how the course is almost like 3 mini courses in regards to style- it starts with parks style for a few holes, then you play around the lake for a few, then some wooded holes coupled with steep elevation, and it finishes like it started. Every hole is unique and every tee shot must be carefully planned and executed. It seems every hole is a memorable one, but the signature #5 levee hole is one you will love to hate, lakes on both sides, the levee slopes down from left to right, and 520' from the long tees.

The layout and scenery are fabulous. I love how this course is spread out, each hole gets its own space, and the land is set aside purely for disc golf. Views of the lake are seen from most holes. The fairways were lush and green (played in spring after a lot of rain). The course has 2 sets of tees that are clearly marked. The baskets are in good shape. The tee signs and bag hangers are very nice and unique just giving one example of the care and detail Mississippi puts into their State Park disc golf courses.

There is ample parking. Restrooms near hole #1. The park workers are very nice, they will gladly give you tons of helpful information, and the ranger actually led us in his truck to #1's tee.
Cons: The biggest con (and this is very minor) are the couple of longer than normal walks from basket to next tee. But because this course covers such a large area of land this is necessary. I suppose they could add extra holes in between, but a little extra walking is really no biggie when you factor just how nice of a course this is. (The longest walk is from #4 to #5, and will give you plenty of time to mentally prepare yourself for the levee hole!)

Another very minor con (and I am digging here) is that you don't come near your car until 18, but in order to obtain that isolated in nature feel by the course being spread out this is a necessity.

Mississippi State Parks do charge $3 a day/car to enter the park, but this is well worth it.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed every second I was on this course. It is one of the best courses I have every played and is one of my all-time favorites. I highly recommend this course to any serious player looking for a challenging good time. (Be prepared to lose a disc or two in the lake.)

Old Warrior Run is the name of the course, Trace State Park is the name of the park, although many locals referred to the course as Trace, but they are one and the same. And it appears the original layout is called Old Warrior Run, and an optional layout is Trace Gold.

*Note- This review is for the standard layout, I have not played the Gold.

This park also features several other park amenities, a big lake, camping, cabins, etc. I strongly endorse the Mississippi State Parks Disc Golf courses. The courses are fun and very well kept and the people are nice. They are perfect for taking a disc golf vacation with your friends or family.

5+    8/10/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: 3456789
Pros: This is one of my faviroite courses. The park does a great job of keeping the fairways nice and clean. Concrete pads and bag holders on every tee. The water is avoidable from the AM pads.
Cons: The am pads are natrual. All I can think of.
Other Thoughts: This course is in a great state park and should get more attention than it does.
I hear the gold setup is amazing but I haven't got around to play it yet.