Owensboro, KY

1 2 Next >
 Lots of potential

1    5/12/2009   7/19/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course is in a small area of a park that seems pretty much entirely devoted to disc golf. The front 9 plays around a flat grassy area with some holes playing into and out of the thick woods surrounding the field. The back 9 plays more in the woods with some elevation and some possible water hazards. There are a few really nice holes in the woods that offer some good challenges and some fun shots. The discatchers are in pretty good shape and catch well.
Cons: The course is impossible to navigate. I think I found most of the holes, and I think I played most of them from the intended tees, but it's really difficult to tell. I found three different map/course descriptions at the course or online, all three were different and none actually corresponded to what we found. The front nine has a lot of holes that are just plain open field shots, and there are a couple more later in the course, and those are just a little boring. The tees are inconsistent materials and sizes, and many are rutted or incomplete leaving poor footing.
Other Thoughts: This is a course that just doesn't feel complete. The land is there to make a pretty good course, but there's not enough done to justify a high rating so far. There are some nice holes and some good terrain, but the navigation issues are frustrating. Beginners will find (or not find...) the course tough and punishing at times, and more experienced players will be challenged to hit some lines in the woods. If you can find a local guide, this one could be fun, otherwise steer clear.

1    12/13/2008   1/4/2009
Review By: tamahawk
Pros: Okay, I want to preface my review with this: My review is written based off of my experience playing the course for the first time. I am not from this area, and do not know the history of the course, so it may be a work in progress. If you are a local, and know the layout, it may be a different situation, but if you have never played here before, here are some things to be aware of.

Panther Creek has potential to be a nice course. Given the size of the area, and the limited amount of wooded areas, I think the overall idea of the course layout is pretty good. A lot of holes played from open areas to baskets tucked into the wood line surrounding the park, or vice versa. I like this feature of the course, it makes for a good mix of open and wooded holes, and different types of challenges. As far as foliage, everything seemed to be in decent shape, nothing real extreme. It may be a different story in the summer-time though?! The course used DISCatcher baskets and all baskets were in good shape. There are minimal elevations on the course, but a couple of areas require you to walk up/down a semi-steep bank. There are no long holes here, definitely a par54 course. There were some open holes, and some that were moderately wooded, but no real tight technical holes.
Cons: There are multiple tee pads types, defined gravel pads, defined natural pads, undefined natural pads, and concrete pads. The gravel pads were narrow, I'm guessing 2ft wide, and sunk in from wear. It was evident that most players throw from beside the gravel boxes. The defined natural pads were ok, but a little unlevel. The concrete pads had plenty of length, and were in good shape, but they were narrow as well. There were tee signs on some holes that were accurate, tee signs on some holes that were not even close to accurate, and no tee signs at all on other holes.

The course was very confusing and difficult to navigate. I was not able to find pads and baskets for all the holes. I think I ended playing 14 holes, but I'm not even sure if I played some of them correctly. Some examples, there is a large gravel parking area when you pull up to the course with a basket label Hole1, but the tee pad for Hole 1 is probably 100ft in front of this basket facing 90deg away. The tee sign for Hole1 states it is 275ft straight ahead, I knew just from looking at the hole that it was more than 275ft, probably closer to 340ft. As I approached the basket, I saw that it actually said Hole2. I never found a tee pad for Hole2. Hole3 had an accurate tee sign, but all the photos I've seen of the course are calling this Hole4, even the Davies County DGC web site. That is why I wonder if the course layout may have been changed around without the electronic information being updated?!

Once I finally got through hole nine (roughly 300yds from the parking area, there was a smaller parking area with a big wooden sign that said "Disc Golf Course" with a map of holes 1-9. This map was showing holes 1-9 being in the woods behind the smaller parking area, which was very confusing since I just attempted to play 1-9 in a completely different area of the park. The tee pad for 15 said that the hole was 200ft with a big left to right shot from the open into the woods. I couldn't see the basket, but I threw based off of the sign. I soon realized that the basket for 15 was straight off of the box probably 350ft away. These are just a few examples of the navigational issues I had during my round.

The signage and navigation was the worst I have seen yet. You can get a more detailed description of the layout on the Davies County DGC website, but from what I saw though, not all of the pictures and direction align with the tee pads and basket numbers that I saw when I played the course. There should definitely be some navigational tools in place, and maybe a detailed and accurate course map located at the park.
Other Thoughts: Panther Creek really isn't a bad course, but current conditions make it next to impossible to navigate especially for someone new to the course. I eventually had to give up trying to follow hole to hole, and just played the holes that I could find that made sense.

I hope that some of these issues get cleared up, I would like to play the course again and be better able to enjoy it. Panther Creek really is a decent par54 course with potential to be a lot of fun, pending the resolution of the layout issues. If you are coming to this area to play, and only have time to play one course, I would definitely play Yellow Creek. Some of the other reviews mention that the local club is still working on the final layout, so I will keep a check on the DCDGC website for updates and DGCR as well for newer reviews. I will be glad to play the course again and update this review as applicable.

Rough and tumble

1    11/2/2008   11/3/2008
Review By: buzzinb
Pros: Some very unique holes that demand precision and creativity. Picturesque area that is heavily wooded on three sides of main clearing. Ridges and bluffs provide an earthy "Back to nature" feel to it all.
Cons: As mentioned by all of the previous posters, this course is very rough and vaguely defined. Sometimes you feel like you are just firing away at randomly placed baskets. Finding Tees can be like looking for lost pirate treasure, "follow the trail that leads to the lightning struck maple, a lone northbound root points to the rock that looks like Homer Simpson eating a donut--the tee begins where the donut ends..." It can be an excercise in frustration. Some of the holes have a fairway that is merely a winding hiking trail on top of a ridge--miss right and you might need to bring repelling gear to retreive your disc! Also, the gravel tee boxes are a detractor. Everyone in my group used the well worn areas outside of the boxes when driving.
Other Thoughts: This course has potential but will need a lot of work to get there. While several of the holes are both challenging and fun, the layout itself does not flow very well. In my opinion, the bulk of the course would benefit by a total redesign to better utilize the availble flora and fauna. Could be really fun if done right.

Never a crowd

5+    10/23/2008   10/24/2008
Review By: gusc2375
This review was updated on 1/23/2009
Pros: This is a course I have played many times. It has some very intresting but not out of this world shots. Hole 1 is in the front of the park, best to park in the middle gravel lot. the signage is in the back. The front holes lead you in and out of light woods with some open holes in between not real long distances, some easy two's. The first few in the back are in thicker woods but not to bad, Some nice shot choices it ends back out in the open with 17 being my Favorite hole a longer Annie from open into a tucked back pin in some light woods.
Cons: The course is in a transition I understand from the Local club. They are working on the final lay out. Right now it is a hard course to navigate. best thing to do is visit their site, they have a great course walk through.
Other Thoughts: I am looking forward to seeing this course grow and get better.

the unfinished course

1    8/16/2008   9/29/2008
Review By: danamonp
Pros: If it ever get completed there is alot of woods playing it might be fun but first it has to be completed.
Cons: not finished
Other Thoughts: when will it be done?

1    2/28/2008   2/28/2008
Review By: skottyb
This review was updated on 12/30/2009
Pros: with a little work this course will be excellent, I still like to go play it at times, can't wait to see the finished product. the course is set on a nice piece of land and has wide open spaces as well as woods to contend with.
Cons: Tee pads vary different throughout the course, sometimes there isnt a tee pad and the next time there is. No signage on most holes so you have no clue what or which basket to throw too.
Other Thoughts: Not completed yet, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day afterall. I remember some locals telling me they were working on updating the course, I am not sure if this has happened yet or not. Yellow Creek is definitely Owensboro's premier course, so if you want to play some great DG, go there.

Project in the works

2/27/2008   2/27/2008
Review By: eaglefan05
Pros: Several tight shots that require some accuracy and luck. Will soon be redesigned by the DCDGA.
Cons: Tee signs wrong, can get lost if not playing with someone who has played it.

1 2 Next >