Course Extinct
Southington, CT
Panthorn Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

When It's Dry It's Great

5+    7/8/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: cmoney2634
Pros: 1) This course is challenging which is nice. While the course is entirely in the woods, there are both wide and narrow fairways.
2) Many holes are attack-able right off the tee box, but also require a variety of shots/approaches
3) Reasonably flat for a CT course makes doing 18 holes after work quicker and easier to beat the sunset
4) Secluded from the rest of the park
Cons: 1) When it has been rainy this course gets extremely muddy. If it has been a day or two since the last rainfall during the summer time you will be fine. Give it a few extra days if it is spring or fall.
2) There are 5 holes that run close to the highway. The noise isn't great, but I have never actually been distracted by it. The other holes have a better woodsy feel
Other Thoughts: This course if fun with some challenging aspects to it and is a decent distance for a 100% woods course. It is also in the center of the state and easy to find, I strongly suggest it.

Challenging Course with some minor location issues

5+    4/14/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: chikago12
This review was updated on 5/18/2014
Pros: -Located in a beautiful park in Southington. Lots of activities after you're done golfing, if you just wanna hang out and grill or whatever.
-Pin locations are excellent. Usually tucked away behind some rocks or trees. Hole 17 in particular is awesome, the pin is behind this rock wall and makes for a very interesting hole. Hole 2 has the basket on top of a little hill which gives an elevated basket feel. You can tell course designers went out of their way to make sure pins were in cool places.
-Fairways are very clearly defined and wide open. Never really a question of where you're throwing.
-Challenging! Not an easy course at all. Very punishing when you make a mistake, but very rewarding when you hit your lines.
-Awesome elevated teepads. Very smart, considering that the land is very swampy.
-Tee signs, where they have them, are excellent, with distance, local route, and the more conservative route. Pars aren't on there, but that's less important (Just count everything as a 3! Strokes are all that matter anyways)
-Ample parking
-A lot of bombers. You don't usually get very long holes out here in CT in the woods, but there are some monster here, including 9, a 500 foot behemoth of a hole.
-Relatively easy to find your way from one hole to the next. A few places where this could be improved (10 to 11) but for the most part the signage is great.
- Hot tub hole, #6, is an interesting short hole with OB in the form of, well, a hot tub, just short of the basket.
- Big Lacrosse fields right next to the course for warming up, although I don't think you're technically supposed to be on it.
Cons: -As was mentioned in pretty much every other review, this place is a swamp and gets very very wet and is difficult to play within a week of rain. However, it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be - there are walkways here and there. It is admittedly really bad in some places, and a few nice bridges could go a long way.
-Right alongside a highway. Not relaxing to play like some other courses around.
-A lot of holes are missing tee signs. This is made even more depressing because the tee signs they do have are really cool.
- Some holes are really frustrating. #16 might be my least favorite hole in disc golf because, unless I'm mistaken, there doesn't seem to be a realistic way of getting a 2, and you basically have to make 2 short upshots and just try to save a 3.
- A lot of very tight gaps. Some holes, especially #14, feel a lot like, 'Throw it and pray holes'. There is a definite line to hit, but it's so small you really have to be precise to get it through. I think to a certain extent this is good, but Panthorn goes a bit over the top here and there.
Other Thoughts: I really like Panthorn. It's a nice sister course to Page in Bristol, Page being more technical and Panthorn being a bombers course. I do think this course gets unfairly scrutinized because of its location, but the holes that are here are a lot of fun. I would much rather go to Page, but definitely try this place out as a change of pace if it hasn't rained in a week or two, and you'll have a blast.

A frustrating challenge

5+    12/26/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: jmadersky
Pros: NEVER BUSY. I play here several times a month and rarely see more than 2-3 players on the course.
Layout: The course has a good variety of holes, though it is nearly 100% wooded. The fairways are well defined and range in difficulty. There are some score-saving short holes that nicely contrast a few frustrating card-busting holes, I am talking about you #14. The course is flat and plays relatively quickly. I find myself playing at least 36 here every round.
Cons: This course can eat discs, you need to keep your disc in play.
It is difficult to get around the first few times you play. Once you get it, the play is a great pleace to work on all aspects of yoor game.
I have not experienced "wet" play here, but I did play here all summer and never had a problem.
Highway noise on the first 6 holes
Other Thoughts: This is a great place to play. Thanks to many rounds here my scores have improved dramatically at the other area courses. This is a tight course that forces you to make good decisions and execute them well, otherwise your score suffer.

No sun to speak of

1    7/2/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: FrechetteDL
Pros: Well organized course with tees easy to find - well marked. Technically challenging. Heavily wooded. Great for hot days because it is entirely shaded and very flat.
Cons: Never a chance to just throw it as hard as you can because the woods will swallow you up. Some baskets are really hard to see. Someone put orange cones on them, but they faded over time.
Other Thoughts: Lots of wildlife. I saw a snake before I even teed off on # 1. Then I stopped looking. The ground is rough - a rock cut a hole through my sock and left me bleeding.

Get Ripped Wide Open

2-4    9/11/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: One of my favorite courses in all of Conneticut. Not only is the course itself amazing the amentities are great as well. There are two sets of tees on most of the holes. There are clean and easy to understand tee signs at every hole and next tee signs where needed. The course itself doesn't cater specifically to one kind of thrower but will punish you if you don't have multiple styles available. The rough is some of the thickest I have ever seen. This is good because it forces you to stay on the fairway. The fairways are clear of fallen debis and there are only a few small piles of scattered brush throughout the course. There is a good use of OB and clearly marked by colored rope. The teepads are made of rubber and level! Benches are available on most of the holes; even the ace races. There is ample parking and bathrooms and athletic fields across the way, Hole nine comes out right next to one. A welcome board and scorecards are on the way to the first tee. There are also wooden planks on the low boggy areas.
Cons: After a little rain the course could become soaked. Some of the recreational tees are in rough condition ( wood chips recently put down to help with this). Some of the rough is almost too thick to the point it is easy to lose a disc. A few of the holes are slightly overgrown. The possibility of a lost disc is a little higher here than most other non-water courses.

Panthorn? More like Wetthorn! AMIRIGHT!?

1    3/22/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - Great signage on this course. I played by myself and never once got lost. The map of each hole was precise and the distance seemed to be spot on. There were also signs for "next tee" after every basket, and that was the best part for me. With this course being totally enclosed in the woods, I would have wandered about like little red riding hood until a brave lumberjack came to rescue me. I did not see any wolves however. I did have a run in with a giant schnauzer though.

- This course is challenging. There isn't any "easy" holes on the course. even the under 200 foot holes weren't easy to just attack and go for it. Most of the baskets were hiding behind trees like little precious metal deer.

- manmade water hazards were a really neat (though not really needed with all of the water) touch. I like the little coy pond looking thing in front of the basket (see the video in the other thoughts).

- there were tee pads on every hole. Though some of the pads were small, or just a rubber mat tossed on the ground, they were absolutely needed with all of the water flowing here and there. The joint was flooded from front to back, and I would have fallen like an old drunk without those pads.

- good layout for the most part. for the most part, all of the holes favor a RHBH player. I can tell you that my flick was not loved by the trees on this course. I felt at times like I was in Oz and that they were going to start throwing apples at me at some point. There were some two or three straight ahead holes as well. They were NOT easy either.

- every hole had a place to sit down and a table to put your stuff down at the tee pad. Again, this place is WET and the tables were much needed.
Cons: - I can't mention enough, as you have probably noticed, how bloody wet this course was. I was up to my ankles in mud from the time I teed off until I trudged my way back to the car. I almost packed it in about half way through because I was tired of sinking up to my ankles in the middle of the fairways and basket areas.

- some of the tee pads were short and not full out "pads". they could have also been elevated to get them out of the water.

- I'd have like to seen more variety in the shot from time to time. It's not much of a "con", but there were a TON of dogleg left holes. I am probably just griping because I am primarily a forehand player.

Did I mention that this place was wet? ha.
Other Thoughts: I want to play this place in the summer when the leaves are on the trees and when it dries out. I can't imagine that it isn't just more kickass when you can throw a roller and not have it stick straight up in the mud.

I'd have liked to played with a local, but alas, I played alone. Not a huge deal, but it's always funner (my word) to get in with someone who knows the lay of the land.

Check out my youtube video that I made with this review to try and give you a visual of the place. please let me know if this is helpful in the youtube comments, or what else you would like to see in the videos. It's my first shot at this to enhance my reviews, so any feedback is most helpful.if it happens to not be processes yet, come back and check it out. THANKS!
Video:

New Tees, shaping up

5+    11/15/2009   12/9/2009
Review By: Aubin
This review was updated on 9/13/2012
Pros: Long, wooded and challenging. great mix of shots, no advantage for any type of throw or player. 18 nice Chainstar baskets and almost all tees now have full raised boxes with fly pads. Signage is improving, can be tricky at first but it is a well worn/played course so just follow the footsteps. Nice flow and design with 1 and 9 and 10 and 18 right next to the parking lot, to play front/back options (nice for a backup on hole 1, start on 10) Course is only upgraded for and by players, town is 'hands off' which can be good and bad. Big fields adjacent to parking for practice throws.
Cons: A little tough to find from the park entrance; just keeeeep driving up and to the left until you're there. Usually, the course is wet in all but the driest of weather, with puddles and swampy sections. Bug spray mandatory in spring through fall.... seriously. Signage could use updating for new players. Fairways are kept up but rough is just that... ROUGH. Long tight holes are beginner un-friendly, but there are short tees.
Other Thoughts: One of the toughest courses in CT; long, tight, gnarly rough, accuracy needed, easy to blow up on any hole. Only thing missing is major elevation and huge open holes. Pro par is 58, and course singles record is only about a 54 or so (update: might be lower now).... Some new tee boxes added in late November '09. Bring waterproof shoes and some patience, worth the stop.

UPDATE: don't listen to the bad reviews here. It is bone dry, and a great course. If you can't throw in a straight line more than 200ft, throw from the rec tees.