Southington, CT
Panthorn Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 6/2009)

1 2 Next >
 Panthorn? More like Wetthorn! AMIRIGHT!?

1    3/22/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - Great signage on this course. I played by myself and never once got lost. The map of each hole was precise and the distance seemed to be spot on. There were also signs for "next tee" after every basket, and that was the best part for me. With this course being totally enclosed in the woods, I would have wandered about like little red riding hood until a brave lumberjack came to rescue me. I did not see any wolves however. I did have a run in with a giant schnauzer though.

- This course is challenging. There isn't any "easy" holes on the course. even the under 200 foot holes weren't easy to just attack and go for it. Most of the baskets were hiding behind trees like little precious metal deer.

- manmade water hazards were a really neat (though not really needed with all of the water) touch. I like the little coy pond looking thing in front of the basket (see the video in the other thoughts).

- there were tee pads on every hole. Though some of the pads were small, or just a rubber mat tossed on the ground, they were absolutely needed with all of the water flowing here and there. The joint was flooded from front to back, and I would have fallen like an old drunk without those pads.

- good layout for the most part. for the most part, all of the holes favor a RHBH player. I can tell you that my flick was not loved by the trees on this course. I felt at times like I was in Oz and that they were going to start throwing apples at me at some point. There were some two or three straight ahead holes as well. They were NOT easy either.

- every hole had a place to sit down and a table to put your stuff down at the tee pad. Again, this place is WET and the tables were much needed.
Cons: - I can't mention enough, as you have probably noticed, how bloody wet this course was. I was up to my ankles in mud from the time I teed off until I trudged my way back to the car. I almost packed it in about half way through because I was tired of sinking up to my ankles in the middle of the fairways and basket areas.

- some of the tee pads were short and not full out "pads". they could have also been elevated to get them out of the water.

- I'd have like to seen more variety in the shot from time to time. It's not much of a "con", but there were a TON of dogleg left holes. I am probably just griping because I am primarily a forehand player.

Did I mention that this place was wet? ha.
Other Thoughts: I want to play this place in the summer when the leaves are on the trees and when it dries out. I can't imagine that it isn't just more kickass when you can throw a roller and not have it stick straight up in the mud.

I'd have liked to played with a local, but alas, I played alone. Not a huge deal, but it's always funner (my word) to get in with someone who knows the lay of the land.

Check out my youtube video that I made with this review to try and give you a visual of the place. please let me know if this is helpful in the youtube comments, or what else you would like to see in the videos. It's my first shot at this to enhance my reviews, so any feedback is most helpful.if it happens to not be processes yet, come back and check it out. THANKS!
Video:

New Tees, shaping up

5+    11/15/2009   12/9/2009
Review By: Aubin
This review was updated on 9/13/2012
Pros: Long, wooded and challenging. great mix of shots, no advantage for any type of throw or player. 18 nice Chainstar baskets and almost all tees now have full raised boxes with fly pads. Signage is improving, can be tricky at first but it is a well worn/played course so just follow the footsteps. Nice flow and design with 1 and 9 and 10 and 18 right next to the parking lot, to play front/back options (nice for a backup on hole 1, start on 10) Course is only upgraded for and by players, town is 'hands off' which can be good and bad. Big fields adjacent to parking for practice throws.
Cons: A little tough to find from the park entrance; just keeeeep driving up and to the left until you're there. Usually, the course is wet in all but the driest of weather, with puddles and swampy sections. Bug spray mandatory in spring through fall.... seriously. Signage could use updating for new players. Fairways are kept up but rough is just that... ROUGH. Long tight holes are beginner un-friendly, but there are short tees.
Other Thoughts: One of the toughest courses in CT; long, tight, gnarly rough, accuracy needed, easy to blow up on any hole. Only thing missing is major elevation and huge open holes. Pro par is 58, and course singles record is only about a 54 or so (update: might be lower now).... Some new tee boxes added in late November '09. Bring waterproof shoes and some patience, worth the stop.

UPDATE: don't listen to the bad reviews here. It is bone dry, and a great course. If you can't throw in a straight line more than 200ft, throw from the rec tees.

2-4    8/21/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: Juggalo Alex
Pros: Tricky course with plenty of brush and small fairways to keep you from getting that close birdie. Water hazards <3. Very easy to find as long as you follow the signs.
Cons: The brush along side the course was horrendous. The course NEEDS to be cleared of all the deadwood at the least, and the mosquitos could have been a little less atrocious. That and the course billboard could have a map to show people who didn't design where the fuck the holes are. Getting lost in that section isn't exactly what I had planned for my first time out on a course in Connecticut.
Other Thoughts: If the designers or town or Parks and Rec could at least put up a map for people to use, that would greatly improve the course. I would have rated it higher had it not been for the lack of organization.

sweet course

1    8/3/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/17/2010
Pros: Very cool wooded course. Interesting holes that require different kinds of shots. Enough trees to make it interesting but not so many that it's ridiculous. Good mix of longer and shorter holes. A few memorable holes. Some minor elevation changes on the back 9.
Cons: Very poorly marked. The course needs new signs as it seems that it was recently expanded from 9 to 18 holes. There are some signs pointing the direction of the next tee but not always. A couple possible places to get lost so bring a map. Recently rained the day I played and was very muddy. Many fairways were not easily passable. Rubber mats in some of the tee boxes are very poorly laid. Course needs some work.
Other Thoughts: This is a really cool course but it needs a bit of work. I would rate it at least a half star better if the signage and tee boxes were improved.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

A Course with Great Bones

1    3/20/2009   3/21/2009
Review By: blayton
Pros: Course is set deep in the woods and challanges your game with lots of trees but fair openings. Many of the holes are long so makes sure you stay on the fairway on your drive so your second shot isn't in the thick brush. I lot of fun and tricky holes.
Cons: Course is hard to navigate, I was lucky to have a local find me in the woods wondering around and offered to play the rest of the round with me. I course is this way because they just converted it from 9 to 18. Very Muddy, make sure to wear your boots
Other Thoughts: You can tell the local club has done a lot of work on this course over the winter. Once a little more work is done and fly pads are put in on the new holes this course will be awesome. I am looking forward to getting back and playing it again in 6 months.

Fun Course

1    12/30/2008   12/30/2008
Review By: Unkles27
This review was updated on 1/20/2009
Pros: Great little course in the woods. Lots of trees to make things interesting but there was always an obvious route to throw through. Good variation of hole lengths and shot selections. Does not seem to favor left of right handed players. Good signs made it pretty easy to find the next hole and the course seemed to flow well. There were a couple sets of tees on the longer holes.Tee-pads were rubber mats and generally well kept.
There appeared to be more than 9 baskets but I didn't see any more signs upon quick examination and didn't have time to really look into it. Easily accessed of off interstate 84.
Cons: Some of the tees seemed to be rubber mats that were simply thrown on the ground, and although the provided some traction they were very bumpy. Water can seem to be a problem on this course, although there are no water hazards it had rained about two days before I played and the course was still extremely wet, to the point where one tee pad was nearly submerged and there were many puddles on the fairways. I played in the winter but I can imagine in the summer the foliage could be extremely thick and the presence of ticks and poison ivy is not unlikely, this also presents the opportunity for lost discs.
Other Thoughts: The course appears to be in the process of expanding from 9 to 18 holes, as I saw at least 3 extra baskets while playing, but I couldn't find any signs or tee pads for these holes.
This was a fun course that provided plenty of challenges, yet not to the point of being frustrating. In you're in the area I would recommend it.

1 2 Next >