Parma, OH
Parma DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #17 (Taken 10/2011)

Solid course

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2014
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Super-friendly locals. Mostly clean course. Great tee signs. All baskets have numbers on them. Cement tees. Easily accessed off of the freeway. Nice mix of holes and elevation.
Cons: Course was a bit dirty (broken bottles, beer cans and some other random garbage). A few hole-to-tee transitions were confusing and backtracked.
Other Thoughts: The review a few down by BogeyNoMore sums up my thoughts on this course. Challenging but not demanding. Beginners could easily play this, but seasoned players will find it enjoyable. Course is separate from the rest of the park, but not that far away from the rest nor from the surrounding neighborhood.

The "top of the hill" tees for holes 12 and 15 were my favorite area of the course. Most of the course is wooded, but it isn't dense and the underbrush for the most part is not going to eat any discs.

While I enjoyed my round, I would only play again (and will for sure) if I am already in the area. An hour's drive can take me to some much better courses.

Parma is a great local/multi-use park course. If you live in the area you should be playing here regularly. Hard to say if it's worth a local trip -- I enjoyed my round and was glad I made the trip, but any further away than the hour I drove and I probably wouldn't feel the same.

"Thanks, I had a real nice time…"

1    7/6/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 10/28/2013
Pros: Hits the basics: decent tees, tee markers, baskets, next tee signs as needed.
• Good shot variety, fair mix of fairway shapes and distances (but not fairway types).
• Elevation of some sort on pretty much every hole. No humongous hills, but I'd describe the terrain as more than moderately hilly.
• Technical course, emphasizes shot shaping.
• Challenging, but quite reasonably so. Fairly well-suited for beginners through advanced players.
• Fairly easy navigation from hole to hole.
• Plays through pretty secluded portions of the park; incidents with non-players not likely.
• Two 9-hole loops each start/end near parking; you're never really far from the lot.
• LOTS of paved parking: I honestly think a trucker could pull up in a semi for a quick round and not have a problem getting in/out or monopolizing things.
Cons: No serious flaws, but:
• Feels repetitive. No matter how well it does it, Parma's a one trick pony: up or downhill through the woods. By the back nine, you've already seen that trick.
• Posted distances and baskets seemed iffy at times (multiple pins perhaps?) Finding the next tee was pretty easy, finding the basket not as easy.
• I doubt Pros with reasonable control will be seriously challenged here (not a crime - stated more for info than as a factor in my rating).
Other Thoughts: I was going to title this review "Up, down and all around… through the woods." That describes Parma perfectly. If that appeals to you, (it usually ranks quite high with me), I wholeheartedly recommend you give it a whirl. Parma's solidly designed, fun to play - probably makes a great home course for some league.

That said, I'd never have thought a course that plays through the woods with such ever-present elevation, and no serious shortcomings could be merely "good," and that's exactly what Parma is: a good course. Jeez, I say that like it's a bad thing.

There's just something about Parma that felt a bit "soulless" to me. I definitely liked 17, 6 and 9 as well. Nonetheless, nothing really moved my thrill-o-meter. Parma left me satisfied, but not necessarily wanting more - no burning desire to come back.

Ever been on a date with someone who looks decent, seems nice enough, fairly intelligent, has no bad habits, but you're just not that into them? For me, Parma's that date. Nothing bad to say about her, and don't mind setting her up with a friend (who knows, the two of you might hit it off). I'm genuinely glad we met, but evening ends with a little kiss and "I had a real nice time…"

Instant Parma's gonna get you

1    4/7/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Clean
Mostly wooded with perfectly opened up fairways
Good elevation changes
Easy to navigate
Not too crowded
Shady for the hot months
Good mix of shot types and distances
Cons: A little repetitous
New teepads but no signs on the back 9
One dimensional
Other Thoughts: Had a lot of fun on this course. You're never far from the parking lot but it feels like a bigger course than it is.

Most of the course winds through a wooded area of the park. Loved the fairways. It requires you to shape your shot but have cleared out enough space to provide you with a good line. It's not overly tight but you will pinball off trees if you don't navigate it correctly. There is alot of moderate altitude changes that I thought were fun.

Most of the holes are in the 250 to 400 foot range which is about perfect for my skill level. It can be tricky at times to figure out where the next hole is but there are normally signs that point you in the right direction.

If I were to complain about this course I would say that most of the holes are very similar. Moderate altitude change winding through the woods with a medium wide fairway. I love those types of holes but I also love for a course to mix it up a bit.

This is a must play if you live nearby. As for a road trip I would recommend nearby Roscoe Ewing over this one but it's definitely worth stopping by if you got the time for another round. There is a bar only minutes away that was the outside image and inspiration for the Warsaw Tavern from the Drew Carey Show. If your a fan of the show and would like to grab a beer afterwards it was neat to see. They don't serve lunch though. But I enjoyed this course and it would be a part of my regular rotation if I lived nearby.

Was worth the Trip

1    5/26/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: clyderandall
Pros: This course is a fun challenge. It requires more accuracy than power but is a good mix of both. The course is completely wooded which was very nice to be in the shade on a hot and sunny day. The baskets were well maintained and the fairways were lined with mulch which helped to cut back on the mud.
Cons: The back nine of this course is still being developed. All the cages are in and some paths have been started. However there are not concrete tees yet and there are not clear directions to the next tee like the front nine.
While we were there we spoke to some of the members of the local DG club who maintain the course. They have big plans for this course.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course was worth the trip. We decided to stop by when were in town for a Cleveland vs Cincinnati baseball game. Since the Reds loss the trip became more about disc golf. This course is fun and challenging. I recommend you check it out sometime.

Closest course to home

5+    7/5/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: Conect11
This review was updated on 7/1/2011
Pros: A tight, technical course
18 heavily wooded distinct holes
Constant and noticible improvements and upgrades by course designers / caretakers
Well marked and mapped tees
Lots of elevation changes
I hang my head and have to do the "walk of shame quite" often on this challenging course, but courses like this WILL make you a better player
Cons: Very tight fairway - don't bring your distance drivers unless you have perfect control!
This course loves to eat discs
What is it about a field of poison ivy and thorns that makes a person say to themself "hmmm, seems like the perfect spot to put a disc golf course?!" (I kid, I kid)

Other Thoughts: **UPDATE**: I've now played Parma several times and have a great deal of respect for this course. While it is short it is extremely challenging to your technique and control. I don't think I've ever thrown a good round here, this course always kicks my behind. THIS COURSE HAS GREAT POTENTIAL TO EAT DISCS!!!!! While the entire course is forested, holes 7 and 8 seem to make me look all the time for lost discs, which get caught frequently in the heavy, thorny brush. Watch hole 3 on the right for two reasons: 1.) There is a high school field with a fence that hugs the fairway. Very easy to fly your disc over the fence. Fortunately there is a hole in the bottom that some enterprising disc golfer cut into it. 2.)The wasp nest that was on hole 3 in summer 2010 is now long gone.

This is a good course to work on technique. None of the holes are very open, and the fairway is extremely tight on many of them. Lost a Wraith and Champion Beast on hole 8, took an hour and a half to find them, but fortunately find them we did. I have to admit that for awhile in 2010 I avoided this course because of the awful scores I have at it. But the fact is that this is a great, great course that can only improve your game if you give it the chance. The back nine is settling in nicely; look for the wood chips on the ground to have an accurate idea of the tee locations. Holes 14 and 15 are uniquely challenging, and stand out in my mind, with 14 going up and to the right of a slight hill under heavy forest canopy, and 15 shooting down that hill, into a small valley, and up a much larger hill. After those two, 16 seems like sort of a relief, straight down the side of another hill through as generous and straight a fairway as you'll find at VMP.

fun course

5+    6/7/2010   6/7/2010
Review By: vinmoe73
This review was updated on 6/18/2010
Pros: very well maintained public park.
family friendly park
dries quickly after rain. (good use of wood chips)
plenty of parking
Cons: short course.
little room for error.
Other Thoughts: it appears that there will be some expansion coming soon.

I'm a new player and fortunate to have Vets as my home course. Over the past couple of months, I've played (poorly) several courses in northeastern ohio. I really think that Vets deserves a much better rating that it gets.

A good 9 hole course

1    4/15/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: SigmaChris
Pros: - good signage at tees, directions to next tee, and light deflectors to on the trees to show where the fairway goes.

- good use of the woods for the 9 hole layout that keeps you isolated from the rest of the park.

- wooded course that puts accuracy at a premium but a good drive will still leave you with birdie putts.

- The course is on the shorter side, but the woods make up for it with more difficulty.

- The tee signs were the first I have seen (30 courses) that showed you the elevation change. It will tell you if the hole increases or decreases "X" amount of feet.

- Someone had put out a bunch of corn and deer feed to attract the deer. At one point there were 8 deer in this city park that were grazing 20 feet from me. They were obviously accustomed to humans as they did not run as I was walking and throwing near them.

- The fairways and teeing areas were recently treated with wood chips to prevent erosion and to keep the mud at bay.
Cons: - dirt tees
- older baskets
Other Thoughts: It is a good 9 hole course that will test your driving ability for birdies and your up shots to make par.

Not bad but....

4/20/2008   4/20/2008
Review By: balsak40
Pros: Heavy wooded 9 hole course.
Rugged rolling hills.
Cons: No Tee lines or signs to show where to start. Heavy graffti. Hills used alot with BMXsers.
Other Thoughts: There was signs posted for the ties but due to graffti and high vandalism the signs were cut down. Your only way to see the tees is by finding the Orange poles and navigate thru the reflectors nailed to the trees.. Hole 3 is the farthest and by far the deadliest.