Augusta, GA
Pendleton King Park Share
Uploaded By: FAST Hole #14 (Taken 6/2014)

Good for New Players

5+    6/22/2014   7/6/2014
Review By: Warmoth
Pros: easy terrain, pretty flat overall, good combination of short/long holes. moderate woods and some open shots.
Cons: Hole 2 is close to a playground. Had a few kids pick up the discs. That's about it.
Other Thoughts: A great course for players just starting and a fun course for mid level players.

Solid Course, but no 5

1    1/20/2014   1/21/2014
Review By: heartman
Pros: - Kiosk near hole 1, with lots of Augusta disc golf info.

- teepad areas are very nicely done with LARGE new benches at every hole

- fairways cleared of debris

- map not needed: next tee signs throughout literally "pointing" the way (Signs are white and usually aren't a problem to see as they are quite close to the pins. A different color might stand out a little better, neon orange?, but the white works better for the overall aesthetics of the park)

- large parking area and bathrooms scattered throughout the park

- DGA baskets are in good condition and top circle part is orange which makes them easier to find

- I liked the transition between Holes 8 and 9: sort of a secret garden kinda walk ... kinda sketchy at first, but cool thinking about it now.

- I liked the various bushes/planters in the fairway of Hole 18. Many people would list them as a con, but I cheated and threw a thumber over all of it, so it kinda felt like playing in some type of large public garden.

- Hole 5 tee area was pretty cool. Sorta built into the side of the slope going down to the water of the pond.
Cons: - repetitive: lots of straight or dogleg right shots ... I lost count of the times I RHFH'ed a Firebird off the tee

- some teepads are not level, specifically some of the more uphill holes ... makes any type of runup a stumbling mess of feet (Hole 8 stands out specifically)

- teesigns don't show shape of hole, just distance

- some safety concerns: playground to left of Hole 2 (I hit a tree and kicked left and end ended up in the play area, luckily no kids were present) ... several holes throw over walking paths or the road (road on 3, path on 5, path on 18 all come to mind), throwing over path/road isn't a huge con for me, BUT throwers must be very aware of any oncoming pedestrians/cars
Other Thoughts: - I can't speak for any changes that might have occurred during the redesign, but overall PKP is a solid, not spectacular, course IMO.

- Apparently Hole 4 used to play from a pad that made it a funky "over the fence" RHBH hyzer shot? The new pad plays straight in the 300'ish range ... like a lot of other holes on the course. The old teepad would be a shot that I didn't use all day and something to change up the repetitiveness.

- Hole 7 has a ridiculously sweet natural, cleared opening on the right side of the fairway ~250ish off the tee that drops down into a ravine and then back up a hill. With a little more clearing here and there, 7 could be a verrrry cool par 4 with a pin that flows nicely to Hole 8's tee area (although it would be another hole that the tee shot would be left-to-right). However as I am not local, I am not aware of any issues that might be present in the ravine, like flooding or stuff like that. The people who have installed all the benches have shown that they don't mind doing work to the course, so some stairs down and then back up on the other side shouldn't be that big a deal to install (other than possible county safety/insurance issues).

- Of the Augusta area courses, this is the best beginner friendly course (as well as Steady Ed from the reds).

- I have played the IDGC, Patriot's, Lake O, and Riverview (when not overgrown) in the Augusta area, and would recommend any of those courses over PKP for travelers from out of town. PKP is solid for locals and I'd probably venture out for doubles/singles/league rounds only if I lived in the area.

- Honestly the only reason I drove down from Athens with some buddies to play PKP, was due to the flurry of 5disc reviews that seemed out of place from what I had heard about the course. I went in with an open mind and tried to objectively rate it compared to all of the other 51 courses I have played during the past 4 years.

- Overall a solid course: the repetitiveness of distance and shape of holes did start to take it's toll. It felt like a 3.25. I can't justify a 3.5, so 3 it is.

Nice Urban Course

2-4    7/24/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: dandther
Pros: *Fairly easy to find navigate your way through the course, with one exception.
*Good mix of left and right curves
*Lots of trees, but there is always a defined and open fairway on even the most densely wooded holes.
*Once you get into the woods, you might not see anyone else in the park, and can easily forget you're in the middle of the city.
*Benches on almost every hole, which helps in the humid Georgia summer.
Cons: *Can be hard to find your way on a few holes. I'm thinking especially where you need to walk through the little flower grotto, and 18.
*Many holes are about the same distance, the only variation is the curve of the fairway or the location of the trees.
*Water on the course but it doesn't really come into play.
Other Thoughts: My son lives in Augusta, and this is a course I have played a lot when we visit. I like it better than any of the other courses we have played in Augusta without leaving the state (I haven't played Killer B yet).

Decent

1    4/20/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a nice city park, some major improvements must have been made since some of the earlier reviews. The grass was mowed and there wasn't much trash or vandalism around. The concrete tees were in decent shape, and the signage was basic but present. The baskets were older, but still caught ok.

Many holes play through mature trees in grassy areas of the park that are pretty free of underbrush. These holes offer a few longer shots and many have multiple options of routes to take. The rest of the course plays through thick woods with lots of nice punishing rough. The fairways make you shape some nice tight lines, but are fair and well defined. There is a pretty good mix of left and right turning holes, the course plays pretty balanced.
Cons: There are some spots where navigation is a little tricky, and the flow of the course isn't obvious. Several holes play near roads, sidewalks, and playgrounds, definitely some safety issues. There are also some holes that bring pavilions and picnic areas into play, another possible safety issue.

The signs only have hole distance, not the layout of the hole. Many holes have multiple pin positions, so not only do you have to walk up the fairway to see where the pin is, you have to guess which distance is correct.
Other Thoughts: This isn't the best course in the area, but it's still a fun round. The neighborhood and park didn't seem to be all that bad during the day, we felt totally comfortable while we were there. Beginners will find the course a little punishing on the wooded holes, but overall it's an ok beginner course. More experienced players will find some tricky lines to hit and some nice challenges, it's not too tough but there's enough variety to make it interesting.

The True Agusta Experience

1    1/2/2011   1/3/2011
Review By: Fender088
Pros: Pendleton King is what I was hoping to find in my trip to Augusta. The park itself is one of the most beautiful old structures I saw in the city. The dog park, multiple gardens, and mature trees add so much aesthetic pleasure to playing this course. The first tee is extremely easy to find and from the first hole the rest are fairly easy to navigate. There are multiple trash cans throughout the course and decent signage on each hole indicating the hole distance of both pin positions. The tee pads are solid concrete and decent size.
The makeup of this course is very traditional for disc golf purists. Most of the holes are open with mature often surrounding the pins. The distances are not extreme, but there is a decent mix of short and long holes. Not many reaching 400 feet though. There aren't too many elevation changes to speak of either, although you do shoot uphill and downhill a few times from the tee. Although I mentioned that most of the fairways are clear with mature trees accenting the pins, the middle half of the course plays through the wooded section of the park. I've played a decent amount of courses though, and I wouldn't call the fairways in the woods tight by any means.
For all of these reasons I would highly recommend taking amateurs or even first timers to this park. However, I seriously doubt that advanced players would be disappointed with this experience.
Cons: The signs at this park show the distances, but they don't signify the actual fairways. I was lucky to have multiple guides with me, but I still walked up the fairways a few times to check out the shots. This is simply something that could be improved upon. This park does tend to get crowded as well with large groups of amateurs, so arriving early would be to a serious disc golfer's advantage. The last thing worth mentioning about the park is that there are lots of secluded areas in the woods where I wouldn't want to be alone. I'm not saying that the area isn't safe, but I would rather play with a group than by myself. The locals I played with told me that the park used to be a pretty rough area, but that recent renovations have improved the social environment.
Other Thoughts: To be honest, I could see where most people might view this course as a run-of-the-mill experience when compared to some of the other courses in Augusta. The holes are shorter and less complex than Wildwood or Riverview. Despite all this though, I found myself falling in love with this course over the course of our round. The scenery is simply beautiful all around you. You get a sense that Augusta is an old town steeped in tradition, and the P&R department in town really does well to convey this with all of the gardens that run through the park. If I were playing in Augusta again I would of course check out Wildwood, but I would not leave town without playing this one again.

B grade old-school traditional

1    9/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C