0 Helpful / 35 Not
P.K. Great Course
Pros: Nice holes. Excellent pads. Beautiful custom donated benches. Great for beginners and pros
Cons: Hardly any! Maybe a couple of longer holes. And hole 2 being a lil too close to the kids playground
Other Thoughts: Alot of work has been put into this course lately and it has become a beautiful course to play
0 of 35 people found this review helpful.
11 Helpful / 6 Not
Pros: 1. Large concrete tee pads on every hole. The tee pads are nicely placed and have been surrounded with M-10 crushed rock to provide nice run up and run off areas on the tees. Plenty of room for the longest run-ups.
2. Tee signs with accurate distances are visible from the tee pad on every hole.
3. Custom benches on every hole. Each bench was donated by sponsors and have a unique insert recognizing these sponsors inlaid in the benches. The benches are large and placed behind the tees.
4. Trash cans throughout the course. Large 55 gallon trash cans are conveniently placed so there is no reason to not use them.
5. Fairways are clear of obstacles. The fairways have been trimmed to offer fair shots. The odd "invisible limbs" have been removed to offer fair shots if you hit your lines.
6. Directional signage from hole to hole is very visible. Look for the white pained "hands" pointing to the next tee. This helps during a couple of the longer transitions.
7. Ruff is cleared of dead and fallen trees. The course plays through the woods on many of the holes, especially on the back nine. The area to the right and left have been trimmed back to offer good fairways as stated earlier in this post. The ruff is typically small trees and large scrub growth and going in there may result in some additional strokes, especially if you go deep. You won't find piles of trash or piles of limbs in there though. These have all been cleaned up.
8. Baskets have been painted for visibility. Each basket has an orange painted marker on top that can be seen from a distance. This helps clarify the basket locations for the thrower.
9. Course is maintained extremely well. Volunteer course maintenance is handled by Fast Eddie and his crew of volunteers. They have done a wonderful job on the course and continue to make improvements. I hear that bag hangers for each hole are in the works. Netting to stop errant discs from flying into the playground areas is also planned. If you have any other suggestions, post them on the kiosk near hole 1 and they will be considered.
10. Bathroom facilities are available near hole 2 and 8 for both men and women. The facilities have always been clean and open, which is rare for many courses.
Cons: 1. The playground area near hole two is open to an errant shot. Take care here until the netting gets installed.
2. Hole 18 is an ideal spot for picnickers that are unaware of their presence on a disc golf course. Be courteous and they will usually make way.
Other Thoughts: The course at Pendleton King Park (PK) plays around a children's play area and a fenced dog lot. It's in a community park. The layout of the course minimizes the interaction with these areas as much as possible but disc golfers must be respectful of others using the park however.
The City of Augusta Parks and Recreation Department has an on-site staff member on the property and it is obvious he is engaged with the property. This is rare for a city park.
The Pendleton King Foundation is very proud of this park and continues to be a supporter of disc golf as evidenced by their continued support of Fast Eddie's efforts to make course improvements. Having an outside supporter for a park is even more rare than having an on-site maintenance staff. Their continued support is something to be cultivated.
11 of 17 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 28 Not
Pros: Absolutely stunning park. Gorgeous landscaping, wonderful brick constructs, and the proper amount of water... all of which is off the course.
Cons: Would like to see at least one Par 5 and few longer holes. but as a casual player, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.
Other Thoughts: There are dogs barking in the park.... hahah if you here people complain about that just chuckle and enjoy being in a wondeful park.
Really well maintained, benches on every hole, and they are constantly improving it.
this is the place to play in Augusta.
0 of 28 people found this review helpful.
Really nice course
1 Helpful / 47 Not
Pros: Very clean. Laid out really well. Great beginners course and tournament quality course. Well maintained. Trash receptacles at every hole and nice tee boxes. Beautiful fairways and pin placements.
Cons: Loud dogs barking in people's backyards on hole 1-3 and people always think the fairways are nature trails, but you can't really blame either of those on the course.
Other Thoughts: Great course. If you haven't played here before make sure you do you won't regret it.
1 of 48 people found this review helpful.
Very solid course that is improving.
12 Helpful / 10 Not
Pros: It is evident that they are putting a lot of work into improving the course. The tee pads are in great shape and the area around them has been recently leveled off. The course is somewhat short but was pretty challenging for me as a beginner. I thought there was decent variety to the holes. The park was very nice all in all and I imagine would be even better in nice weather/spring/summer(It was overcast/raining when I was there). There were garbage cans and new benches at most if not all holes. There were a couple of bathrooms and I found one drinking fountain although it was in disrepair it worked. I don't remember ever being worried about losing a disc. The course was fairly easy to follow and there were a bunch of temporary signs to help. The course seemed very accessible. We had a person who had recently had knee surgery walking with us and she seemed to do fine.
Cons: It will be good when they get permanent signs and improve the ones they have. The benches were unfinished but were just waiting for their tops, that I heard would be very nice. Some of the holes were near areas that seemed like they could be high traffic... it would be nice to not have to worry about throwing into the the playground if you have an early release. I heard the pond used to be more in play which sounded interesting. If there could be a couple longer holes added that would be nice. I could be wrong but it seemed like there were more holes with right hand turns than left hand turns. Anyway to bring in more elevation change would be more to my liking.
Other Thoughts: I came to town to play a benefit tournament(my first) that was being held at this course. Everyone I met was very friendly. Fast Eddie, one of the current leaders in cleaning up the course, showed me around. With the support an enthusiasm that I saw I can only imagine this course getting better and better.
Keep up the great work, I look forward to coming back and seeing where you take the course.
12 of 22 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 30 Not
Pros: They have done a lot of work on this course. Put up markers to navigate you throughout the course, trash cans and bench on all holes. For the most part course is flat and easy to walk. It's a great place to learn the game
Cons: Do not have a driving range
Do not have papers like you would get at golf course that tells you how long and gives you place keep score
Other Thoughts: All around a great course
Paint the chains so they stick out a little more
At some other parks they have layout of each hole at tee
0 of 30 people found this review helpful.
8 Helpful / 20 Not
Beginner friendly and active
Pros: -Fast Eddie and the group that have volunteered to improve the course have done an amazing job over the past few weeks. Many of the fairways have been cleared of debris.
- Pendleton King is very clean and well maintained. There are new benches and trashcans at every hole.
-This course is suitable for beginners or players who want to play a quick round.
-The baskets are in good condition and markers have been added to guide players from hole to hole.
-The tee pads have had some work and the new concrete has made them look good and function really well.
-Players on the course are friendly as well as the staff that maintains the park.
-There is plenty of parking available.
Cons: -There isn't a mix between technical and open shots. Most of the holes are straight shots with a little bit of curve to them.
-Holes 1 and 2 might make some players uncomfortable for being so close to recreational areas for children and picnic tables. However, I haven't seen anyone have problems with these two holes yet.
Other Thoughts: As far as free to play parks go, if you are looking for a course with a lot of elevation change, I suggest Riverview Park or Lake Olmsted. Patriot's Park is also a fair difficulty. Pendleton King found a place in my rotation, and with the work they have been putting into it I can tell it's going to stay a favorite of mine.
**I'm not sure why this has been so unhelpful, but if you find it so, write a review of your own and explain things about the course I might have missed.**
8 of 28 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 18 Not
Fun Course For All Ages
Pros: I really appreciate the changes that have been happening here at this course recently. Fast Eddie has been doing a lot of work to improve this course. New benches, added dirt around the teepads, updated par and distance measurements, temporary signage guiding players to the next hole, and dead trees and sticks being cleaned up from the fairways. Thanks for the improvements. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that are planned for Stage 2 of improvements planned for the spring of 2013. Keep up the good work!
There are a nice mixture of open/wooded holes at this course. It's easy enough for beginners to enjoy and difficult enough that seasoned players will appreciate playing here.
Cons: A few of the holes play too long for a par 3 and too short for a par 4. Since they are marked as par 4's it makes for easy birdies, but different pin locations would help. Hole 7 and the long pin placement at hole 17 would be two examples that come to mind. Picnic tables are pretty close to holes 1 and 2 and may be better served being moved to a less dangerous area.
Other Thoughts: I would like to see the pin for hole 7 being moved to the very far pin placement that is down the hill to the right of the fairway and down in that deep ravine. I've never played that hole before but it looks super fun and challenging! Overall, a fun course to play for all ages. I appreciate very much the improvements taking place recently.
3 of 21 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 30 Not
Pros: Dedicated maintenance in beautiful setting - gardens , arboretum and dog park . Half of holes through woods , mostly open shots though . Usually plays to 54 with 3 or 4 alt pins can go to 57 , no stress fun to play course great for beginners .
Cons: Gated park opens at 8 AM closes around dark . Tons of pedestrian traffic - but aware of the course and etiquette towards golfers .
Other Thoughts: Another must play in Augusta - ace runs and birdies are plentiful .
2 of 32 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 19 Not
Good and Improving
Pros: - Reasonable level of difficulty. Newer players can get to par with a reasonable amount of practice and veterans can start hunting birdies all around the course.
- Good mix of open and tightly wooded holes.
- Improvements are always underway and the course is maintained by hard-working individuals.
- Vegetation is kept at a great level. Not hard at all to keep track of your discs throughout most of the court if they go astray or fade too hard.
Cons: - One or two of the holes labelled as par 4's really ought to be par 3's. This is great encouragement for beginners but it doesn't seem right.
- There are no very very long holes. I'm not very good at these anyway but including at least just one would be a good addition if it could have been fit into the layout.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy the course and the fact that it is not extremely difficult to par the course. The difficulty and variation of hole styles provides for some stiff competition with whoever you bring along or a good time if you stop by on your own for a round. Go give it a try!
5 of 24 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.