Augusta, GA
Pendleton King Park Share
Uploaded By: FAST Hole #18 (Taken 6/2014)
Hole #18 Approach

The True Agusta Experience

1    1/2/2011   1/3/2011
Review By: Fender088
Pros: Pendleton King is what I was hoping to find in my trip to Augusta. The park itself is one of the most beautiful old structures I saw in the city. The dog park, multiple gardens, and mature trees add so much aesthetic pleasure to playing this course. The first tee is extremely easy to find and from the first hole the rest are fairly easy to navigate. There are multiple trash cans throughout the course and decent signage on each hole indicating the hole distance of both pin positions. The tee pads are solid concrete and decent size.
The makeup of this course is very traditional for disc golf purists. Most of the holes are open with mature often surrounding the pins. The distances are not extreme, but there is a decent mix of short and long holes. Not many reaching 400 feet though. There aren't too many elevation changes to speak of either, although you do shoot uphill and downhill a few times from the tee. Although I mentioned that most of the fairways are clear with mature trees accenting the pins, the middle half of the course plays through the wooded section of the park. I've played a decent amount of courses though, and I wouldn't call the fairways in the woods tight by any means.
For all of these reasons I would highly recommend taking amateurs or even first timers to this park. However, I seriously doubt that advanced players would be disappointed with this experience.
Cons: The signs at this park show the distances, but they don't signify the actual fairways. I was lucky to have multiple guides with me, but I still walked up the fairways a few times to check out the shots. This is simply something that could be improved upon. This park does tend to get crowded as well with large groups of amateurs, so arriving early would be to a serious disc golfer's advantage. The last thing worth mentioning about the park is that there are lots of secluded areas in the woods where I wouldn't want to be alone. I'm not saying that the area isn't safe, but I would rather play with a group than by myself. The locals I played with told me that the park used to be a pretty rough area, but that recent renovations have improved the social environment.
Other Thoughts: To be honest, I could see where most people might view this course as a run-of-the-mill experience when compared to some of the other courses in Augusta. The holes are shorter and less complex than Wildwood or Riverview. Despite all this though, I found myself falling in love with this course over the course of our round. The scenery is simply beautiful all around you. You get a sense that Augusta is an old town steeped in tradition, and the P&R department in town really does well to convey this with all of the gardens that run through the park. If I were playing in Augusta again I would of course check out Wildwood, but I would not leave town without playing this one again.

I liked this course.

1    11/21/2010   12/17/2010
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This is a course anyone could enjoy. It is not the toughest course in this area, but it does offer enough that any level player could enjoy it. Particularly a group of players of mixed player levels or noobs.

The number of improvements are dramatic and very well done. Most of the course has been lengthened and new fariways cleared out. The fairways are well defined and clear of brush and it has a very nice flow.

It starts out very flat but technical. Getting through the trees is tricky. Especially when 2 is in the long position. Elevation is not as wicked here as in many of the other courses in the area. They do use what is here very well.

I like the mixture of straight fairways and left and right doglegs. A left or right dominant person would not have an advantage here. A balanced game is a must. There are many blind drives. So expect the first couple of rounds to be higher scoring.

Because the course has had so much renovation recently the shule can be very rough. But patience and placement will make a big difference.

The teedpads are concrete and most are in good shape.

Many amenities exist here. There are plenty of trashcans and some benches to sit on. Playgrounds, tennis courts, clean public restrooms, a dog park, plenty of good parking, picnic areas, and several small gardens each with a differnet theme.
Cons: Even with GPS the park is not easy to find.

A couple of the new teepads were cracking and unlevel. I have done enough concrete work to know that the ground was not properly prepared. They will have to be redone.

Even with the map a couple of tees were a bit difficult to find. Six was the toughest.

The out of bounds on basket 4 is a childrens playground area. Please be careful. It is a right to left throw and if you do not curve your throw right it will head straight for it.

Three is thrown across the entrance road to the park so watch out for cars and bike riders.
Other Thoughts: This is the course I like the most in the area, of the 6 that I have played.

It has a high fun factor, great scenery, and is an above average park for rec and intermediate players.

If you want to spend a day with guys throwing plastic, take your family out to a nice park, or have a place to take a romantic walk in one of its nice flower gardens this is the palce.

Best of Augusta...

5+    10/18/2010   10/26/2010
Review By: btucker11
Pros: First off let me say that I rate all the courses I've played by the surrounding courses available. So that being said, IMHO I believe that this is the top of line course in the area not including the IDGC courses. The fun factor of this course is great, there is a nice mix of wooded and open holes, and the shot diversity is also nice. The mulch thrown down from the tree clearing on the wooded holes adds a nice dry fairway material for when it gets wet out. Trash receptacles are throughout the park there are 2 restroom locations on the course. Benches have been put up at most of the Tees. Tees and baskets are in very nice condition.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are near sandy ground and some of the sand gets on the pads from time to time, brooms near some of these holes would be a nice touch. On hole #2 play is to the right of some playground equipment and this poses some dangers during busy hours.
Other Thoughts: I am in the process of planning a tourney here sometime next year.

low rating is old and pre-update

1    6/9/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: TracyJ
Pros: really fun course. reminded me of redan in dekalb county. the low disc score doesn't reflect the redo they did this past year.
Cons: it was a little hard to find the next tee on a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: check it out. don't let the 2 disc review deter. if you'll notice all reviews since the redesign have been great.

Redesign must've worked

1    5/25/2010   5/25/2010
Review By: ssssbutler
Pros: Great course, after reading reviews from pre-redesign, I can tell that they did a great job with this course. Great scenic playing, does not interfere much with park goers. Nice easy pace. The next tee signs are plentiful and perfectly placed.
Cons: Scorecard and course map on both this site and ADGA are now obsolete and need updating. Also, on some holes it was hard to determine which par we were playing. (some holes were Par 3/4, with perhaps a 30 foot difference)
Other Thoughts: Great course in Augusta, did not fit the stereotypes heard about the area at all.

Great Course

1    1/16/2010   1/16/2010
Review By: a2nr4u
Pros: New layout that makes this a very fun course. Not too long but plenty of challenges. There is a 3' x 3' course map over at one of the kiosks.
Beautiful park in the center of Augusta. You'd almost think you were out in the country.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Even though it was raining the entire time we played there was no mud because of plenty of mulch.

Course remodeled.

5+    10/11/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: CatFish
Pros: Not to long, still great for beginners. Course has been redone. If you haven't been there in the last few months, you havent been there. New tee boxes, new pin placements, holes through the woods have mulch put down. Alot of work has been put into this and it is much appreciated.
Cons: none really, nice solid course since the remodel.
Other Thoughts: Like i said, if you havent played it recently, go play it. Its not the same course it used to be. Water hole has been removed.

just drive buy

5+    9/21/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: hotdam
Pros: the course was moved to the woods and round the park so you are not going to hit anyone and you can just play around with no wait
Cons: not a well design course all turn over shot or side arm and some more blind shots in augusta ..
Other Thoughts: Well you should just drive lake o or river view or the idgc...it is a waste of time to play i well not play it again and i live here

Augusta's least

5+    7/31/2003   7/31/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: There are some good holes here, especially early on the course with interesting fairways winding among live oaks & azaleas. A few more scattered through the rest of the course. None terribly long---it was designed for an earlier disc technology---but fun nevertheless.

A fairly forgiving course for beginners, and few places to lose discs. Even the throw over the pond is reasonably short.
Cons: Biggest con is that there are a half-dozen better options in and around Augusta.

Worthwhile if you can play when the general public isn't around; at more crowded times, most of the couse shares land with other users, and it's just not worth it.
Other Thoughts: I last played before the re-design, but with the limitations of the property and the crowds of non-disc-golfers, I doubt it can be much more than what I've seen.

If you're in Augusta and want a more casual game than the other courses provide, without searching for or sinking discs or wearing yourself out, and you can play when the park is fairly empty, give PK a try.

OK Course In A Run-Down Park!

1    7/16/2009   7/18/2009
Pros: This is an aging recreational type caliber course in a park that's probably close to getting shut down by the city powers. The neighborhood around the park is obviously on the downswing also. They appear to have cut off most of it's maintenance budget. I was there by 7:45 AM and the placed was locked. The park hours are 8 to 6 PM. Now that's some user friendly hours. Want to get a round in after work, duh! I don't think so. How about a quick jog in the AM before work, Nope- Parks closed. The grumpy park maintenance guy showed up at 7:55 and reluctantly opened the gate right at 8 AM. (And he left half of the gate closed, obviously hoping that people would think the park was closed.) Okay, I'm through venting about what a dingy, craphole the park is. The course has some moderately challenging holes. There are a few benches to rest one. And back during World War 2 days, this was probably an inviting, pretty park.
Cons: I spent about 15 minutes trying to locate the # 1 teepad and then figure out which basket to throw to. Eventually I played the next couple of holes. Then I played # 9 which crossed the park's entrance street. Couldn't find # 10 to save my life. Found two teepads with big red X's. Does that mean you're not throwing from them. I kinda played a couple more baskets but by then I was clearly frustrated with PK and ready to get on my way. # 8, I think, plays right alongside a little kids playground. An accident waiting to happen there.
Other Thoughts: I'd skip PK and drive the 5 miles or so over to the nicer part of the city and play Lake Olmstead. The rich folks over there who live on the water get the nicer course to play on, and it's maintained by the city, not forgotten.