Great all-around course
Pros: - Nice open fairways on the front 9 and shorter technical shots on the moderately wooded back 9.
- All teepads are made of concrete.
- The course is well marked and easy to follow with great flow.
- Grass is cut regularly and trees trimmed well.
Cons: -The pars listed are a little too easy on the front 9 holes. I just play par 3 the whole way through.
- As of 3/17/2012, the basket on hole 8 is not is very good shape. Last summer someone basically destroyed it. I has been repaired, but it is low and a bit misshapen.
- A few hole signs by the teepads are missing on the back 9, but you can still easily determine where the basket is without them.
Other Thoughts: - Watch out for stinging nettle on the back 9 if your disc ends up off of the fairway.
- Water will only come into play if you throw a really bad anhyzer (RHBH) on holes 3 and 9.
- Nice mix of open and wooded. Front nine is relatively open, and back nine is wooded.
- The mix of open and wooded facilitates different types of shots. I'm primarily a RHBH thrower, but the back nine gave me a lot of opportunities to throw forehand.
- Front and back nine are separated very nicely, so that you could easily play just the front nine or the back nine if you are in a pinch.
- Decent mix of short and long holes, but there are more shorter holes than longer holes.
- Very good tee signs state length, par and gives a map of the hole, though the lengths printed on the signs do not match with the lengths listed on the sign at the first tee. Baskets are in very good condition as well.
- Nice park setting with gazebos and benches.
- The tee pads are a bit short for my liking, though I have a long windup and delivery. For those like me, the tee pads make it hard to get momentum.
- Three of the tee signs are missing (holes 14-16).
- There are trash cans at every hole (they're actually buckets), but they don't look like they get emptied too much. Some of the buckets were overflowing with trash and cans, so a lot of trash was on the ground, especially on the back nine.
- Bugs were a problem both times I've played. Pesty bugs on the back nine in the woods and mosquitos are a bit of a problem.
0 Helpful / 4 Not
This course must have had a renovation relatively recently, because some of the photos do not match the course that I played. Does anyone know if the parks department changed the placement of the tees/baskets? For someone who hadn't been there before, it was a bit hard to find the first tee, though after I found the first tee the navigation of the course is really very good. There is no elevation change on the course, which can be a pro or a con depending on your preference.
Overall, this course is great. It's beginner friendly so that a new disc golfer could learn how to shoot a variety of shots, but it's a course that I think more experienced players would like as well. I could see the park being very busy on a nice day. I really enjoyed the course as a whole and would definitely recommend it to anyone passing through the La Crosse area.
Pros: This course has two very different 9 holes. The front nine is very wide open and flat were as the back goes into the woods. All of the tees are in good condition.
Cons: This course can be extremly busy somtimes since its free.
Other Thoughts: This course is worth playing!
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 2 Not
Best in the area, hands down
Pros: Perfect course for beginner, intermediate and advanced players alike. A nice combination of distance, shotmaking and obstacles to ensure you will enjoy your round.
Cons: Next tees are not marked as well as they could or should be. Also, it's nice to know distances of the hole you're shooting for.
Other Thoughts: This course has plenty of mature trees and resides on a nice piece of land.
My only hope is that people work a little harder to keep the park up, (i.e. picking up after themselves as trash seems to find its way on the ground opposed to in a trash can)
6 of 8 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.