Philomath, OR
Philomath Middle School DGC Share
Uploaded By: Flies to the Left Hole #7 (Taken 2/2009)
Hole #7 from Tee

Schoooool's Out For SUMMER!

1    7/6/2011   7/9/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: Pardon my Alice Cooper reference in the review title but I couldn't help myself. This is actually a decent little nine course for being on school property. The pars set here are obviously made for the students but I'll echo what the Valkyrie Kid was saying in that I'm taking these eagles! Most of the holes here are fairly open but there are a few obstacles and I like the varying hole distances here as well, nice to see at a course for starting out kids in the sport.

The designers have created a couple of decent dog leg holes around some trees to make things interesting even for us regular players who are putting at double eagle. There is one basket here, the 120 or so foot hole number six basket that is built out of farm equipment. This is a unique way of making a basket, something that I have never seen before and to me this is what course bagging is all about! I love seeing unique things like this. This basket is a little bigger than a normal basket and actually catches a little better as a result.
Cons: Nothing really spectacular here and not enough room to really do much more. The course is already fighting for space with the Soccer and Baseball fields and I'm guessing when those are in use Disc Golf takes a back seat.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent little stop especially if you are going to Mary's River Park, then this is very close and you might as well get both in one shot. Hey when are you going to get another chance for an eagle or albatross, that's a lot more rare than getting an ace!

Middle School DGC

2-4    2/16/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: Flies to the Left
Pros: The design for holes 1-5 is pretty good. Holes 3-5 all curve to the right making you work for that good shot to get to the basket. 7 works OK if you like standing on a dirt mound and the only obstacle to the basket is another dirt mound. 8 will not be playable if the ball fields are in use. I kinda like 9. Throwing across the blacktop toward the school is good.
It has decent grass for a school athletic field. At least we know it gets mowed on a regular basis unlike many other courses. The grass Tee Pads are in good shape. I wonder how often this course gets played?
Course is totally flat expect for Tee 7, it is on the top of a mound of dirt.
Tee Signs from DGA. A little more detail on #8 Tee sign would help out. The basket is between 2 fences but the sign doesn't say anything about the baseball diamonds. Except for that it's pretty easy to navigate the place.
Cons: Hole #6 is about useless. Somehow the course design got compromised when 6 went in. It really short and straight, 118 feet. There are many different places for the basket or the tee pad could go.
I encounter no safety issues. I was there on a holiday and the school was closed. There could be a real problem for the basket on 8. It sits right between two baseball diamonds.
No maps of this place to be found anywhere. I sure the course designer had one, maybe someday it will get put on the Web.
Other Thoughts: I didn't have high hopes for this course from all the previous reviews. I like to keep an open mind the first time I play a course.
2/3's of the course I really liked. If I lived in Philomath I would have no problem playing here once a weekend. I'm sure I would have a good throw for those 3 holes that curve to the right. If you want an ace try #6, I parked one at the base of the pin on my first throw. I'm thinking it needs an alt tee pad farther back and closer to the fence.
There two nine holes courses in Philomath. Combine the two and you have an 18 hole course for the day..

Mildly entertaining

7/8/2008   7/21/2008
Review By: handsoffmt
Pros: A couple decent holes
Cons: More boring holes
Other Thoughts: I generally feel like a creep playing here, especially when the middle schoolers are about. With a couple great courses in town (Willammette and Adair), this is not really worth the trip.

How Many Eagles Do You Have?

5/25/2008   5/25/2008
Pros: This is a simple little course which plays around a middle school. The baskets are fine and the dirt teepads serve the purpose here. The hole lengths are from 223' to 367' with one really short throw (118'). So it's your basic pitch and putt variety course.
Cons: Course is not open during school hours 8 AM till 4PM Monday-Firday. There are no concrete teepads, very little challenge, no water or elevation.
Other Thoughts: What's great about this course is you can totally escape from Disc Golf reality, just pretend you're that awkward, pimply faced 13 year old boy again and play the Middle School Listed Pars. Hole #1 is a tough 242' par 4. # 2 is an even longer 341' par 5. With a decent tee-off, you could be looking at a double eagle! I settled for the eagle 3. And I wince to even to think about that 367' monster # 4, another tough par 5. Before you skoff at the three eagles I shot on this course, ask yourself this pilgrim? How many eagles do you have in your career? I've been playing since the 70's and have never had one. I'm keeping these! And I won't be shamed out of them either!

Just for kids

5/1/2008   5/2/2008
Review By: kevin
Pros: You can find all the pins. This course looks like it is built for kids.
Cons: Quick and easy course that could be over quick.
Other Thoughts: It is built on the middle school grounds, so they have something to do during lunch.