Kirkland, IL
Pioneer Park Share
I aced this with a 171g StarMax on 10/1/8. Dumb me I signed the back of the pin number marker.

random course in the middle of nowhere

1    10/28/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: booradly
Pros: -is a nice park and super quiet
- there was not any other disc golfers on the course made it so we could take our time throw a few shots and really just have a nice relaxing game
- i know this is going to sound silly but its nice to have a course with water on the right side of the fairway as a left back hand player most courses that use water as an obstacle do nothing to make those holes more of a challenge.
-hole 8 is awesome lots of woods and cover that make for a tough shot up to the basket that is surrounded by trees.
-most holes have at least some sort of obstacle to make you line up a good shot
Cons: -no pads, and some of the dirt pad areas had random stuff half buried like one hole had a pipe sticking out of it that took up a lot of the pad and hole 8 had some cement ticking out
- some of the baskets on the back side were really old and in poor condition(you gotta hit the chains because the baskets are loose, i missed a few puts because of this)
-lots of water i know some people hate water so i thought i would put this here even though i think it makes a course a lot more fun.
- tons of geese i actually hit one with my boss.
-not a great location there is not much around it.
Other Thoughts: -if you live in the dekalb area it is worth the trip. and really east to get to from niu.
- i live in the west burbs and unless i was going to hit up the courses in like rockford i don't know if i wouldmake the trip out to play this course

Sweet little flinger...

1    6/12/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: CzTeacherMan
Pros: -Easily marked (just be sure to park off of North Rd. by the awning and port-a-potties).
-Great flow to the course
-Beautiful park
-very quiet little town
-shorter holes, nothing over 330 feet (see also: Cons)
-a few tricky shots with obstacles, but many open shots as well
Cons: -shorter holes. Par 4s were no longer than 260 feet.
-dirt tees
-goose poop. Lots of goose poop. Oh, and geese. They only got in the way on hole 13, but they were very angry that I disturbed them... Scary goose!
Other Thoughts: Overall, a fun little place to flick some discs for an hour. A quick little course that can challenge a beginner, be great practice for an intermediate player, and be quick fun for a more advanced player. I'll definitely be back on a regular basis!

Quick note, earlier reviews mentioned broken baskets... All have been fixed. Only broken anything was tee post #9, but the post is there and the basket is clearly visible.

Pioneer Park

1    6/29/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: Big_Man
Pros: When I arrived at this course I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this parked looked. Large trees, ponds, and well groomed grass. The course has 18 holes that makes its way around the large city park. The holes, though not entirely difficult, can create some challenge for beginning to intermediate disc golfers. The pond and Kishwaukee river do come into play on some holes, but only a really bad throw would your disc end up going into either of the two.
Cons: This park has a lot of things going for it, but there are certainly needs for improvement. The first thing I noticed when I arrived at hole 1 was the tee box (or lack there of). Dirt tee boxes are the worst, especially after rain, which happened the night before. I played every hole to the side of the tee box. Another down side is the flooding. Two of the holes ( I believe 7 and 8) were completely flooded and I had to skip them because they were surrounded by water. The other downside to this course is the inconsistency of baskets. Some baskets are really nice, others are older and a little more beat up.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I would play this course again. It is a pretty 18 hole course with a few kinks that need to be fixed. If this course ever has rubber or concrete tee boxes I would automatically give it a higher rating. There isn't much they can do about the flooding and I can live with the different baskets. I would suggest it if you are in DeKalb or Belvidere and are looking for something new.

Nice short course

1    7/31/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: bigmanbailye
Pros: Lots of variety. 2 Tunnel shots, 1 must go straight shot, slight to heavy hyzers, slight anhyzers for backhanded players. Open, no crowds. Good basket locations given the layout. Great beginner course with baskets within driving range. Intermediate to pro's only bring your mid ranges and maybe a roller, HOWEVER, I still found the course very fun for being short. Lots of birdie opportunities, however water and other hazards could give you a couple of 4's due to penalties.
Cons: Short course. Only 1 hole above 300' so no big drive opportunities at all. Natural "all dirt" tee-pads, but I never slipped despite it being a bit muddy. Some long walks between tee's but I never got lost. Have to throw across some roads, but park is so empty it doesn't matter.
Other Thoughts: Awesome park to practice at because it gives you all kinds of looks. Granted these are all around 250'. Everything is doable and a 2 on every hole is not so crazy, however poor execution will cost you do to most holes are narrow with lots of trees or water or something to screw with you.

still looking

1    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: tntbuffallo
Pros: The layout flowed pretty good. Nice placements of baskets. No crowds. Large mature trees and shrubs. All set along a pretty river.
Cons: The worst part would be the natural tee boxes, I guess it isn't the end of the world but it is a problem when it's wet like it has been this year. The length of the holes were on the shorter side, but in developing a coarse you have to work wiht what you have. The water is a plus but with water usually we have to deal with goose skat. Which there was plenty.
One hole was fairly good closed by landscaping with river flowing beyond the basket. But the hole also looked like the city used it for a dump .
Other Thoughts: Overall not a bad coarse compared to the other coarses we have here in Illinios. We played during a little wind, and we lost one disk in the brink. We could see it in the water but it was alittle to deep for us. So I'm still looking for that above average coarse withing 30 miles of St Charles.

B = Better Than Average

1    5/20/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

Good fun here

5+    2/27/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: leathercash
Pros: There is a good variety of challenge in this particular course. Some holes you will find are easily "Birdiable?" especially is the fron nine. As you make your way to the back nine the fairways get a get longer all the while shots are becoming a bit more difficult. And you do get to play alongside some water hazards,which makes for a good variety as well. Pin placements are in great spots and MOST baskets are in good shap. It's pretty easy to learn where to go after each hole. They are not right on top of each other but they are pretty close to it.Navagation is not a problem here.
Cons: First...natural tee pads....BLAH! I know I'm not the only one who hates them. Most of these tees are uneven and small. Hole SIX HAS NO BASKET!!! This isn't a case of us not being able to find it. It's gone. When it was there,it was so twisted and bent from the river flooding it was not playable. Get a new basket for hole 6!
Other Thoughts: Good course,nuff said.