Kirkland, IL
Pioneer Park Share

1 2 Next >
 fun little ace run course

1    10/26/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -course plays over medium sized well maintained city park
-good, well maintained baskets
-some hole variety, some wooded shots, but mostly open, straight shots
-a couple of the baskets are guarded by trees
-almost all tee shots are aceable
-some water in play on a few holes, a nice river runs on the back side of the course.
Cons: -no amenities, no bathrooms, I didn't see any water fountains, no parking lots, just pull off parking on the side of North St.
-sloppy natural tees-it was raining when I played so some of the tee pads were flooded, and there was no clear edge of the tee pads, I just played either behind or even with the tee post.
-Not much variety, most of the holes were straight ahead and not much in the way of being guarded, there were a lot of trees, but they lined the fairways mostly. There were only a could rhbh annie shots, most of the holes were slight rhbh hyzers.
-I had some minor issues with navigation, the walk from 4-5 was elusive for a bit, but 5's tee is behind the hole 1 tee and for hole ten you have to walk behind the lake on the road, pass 12 and get to 10.
Other Thoughts: This course was deserted. It was quite a fun little course, but left me itching for more. I kind of wish they had put the pins nearer the water and utilized guard trees a bit more. But all in all, I had fun and would go back if I were in the area again. Also I didn't notice any problems with goose poo, but I didn't see many fowl on the pond.

Nice short course

1    7/31/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: bigmanbailye
Pros: Lots of variety. 2 Tunnel shots, 1 must go straight shot, slight to heavy hyzers, slight anhyzers for backhanded players. Open, no crowds. Good basket locations given the layout. Great beginner course with baskets within driving range. Intermediate to pro's only bring your mid ranges and maybe a roller, HOWEVER, I still found the course very fun for being short. Lots of birdie opportunities, however water and other hazards could give you a couple of 4's due to penalties.
Cons: Short course. Only 1 hole above 300' so no big drive opportunities at all. Natural "all dirt" tee-pads, but I never slipped despite it being a bit muddy. Some long walks between tee's but I never got lost. Have to throw across some roads, but park is so empty it doesn't matter.
Other Thoughts: Awesome park to practice at because it gives you all kinds of looks. Granted these are all around 250'. Everything is doable and a 2 on every hole is not so crazy, however poor execution will cost you do to most holes are narrow with lots of trees or water or something to screw with you.

still looking

1    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: tntbuffallo
Pros: The layout flowed pretty good. Nice placements of baskets. No crowds. Large mature trees and shrubs. All set along a pretty river.
Cons: The worst part would be the natural tee boxes, I guess it isn't the end of the world but it is a problem when it's wet like it has been this year. The length of the holes were on the shorter side, but in developing a coarse you have to work wiht what you have. The water is a plus but with water usually we have to deal with goose skat. Which there was plenty.
One hole was fairly good closed by landscaping with river flowing beyond the basket. But the hole also looked like the city used it for a dump .
Other Thoughts: Overall not a bad coarse compared to the other coarses we have here in Illinios. We played during a little wind, and we lost one disk in the brink. We could see it in the water but it was alittle to deep for us. So I'm still looking for that above average coarse withing 30 miles of St Charles.

B = Better Than Average

1    5/20/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

Good fun here

5+    2/27/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: leathercash
Pros: There is a good variety of challenge in this particular course. Some holes you will find are easily "Birdiable?" especially is the fron nine. As you make your way to the back nine the fairways get a get longer all the while shots are becoming a bit more difficult. And you do get to play alongside some water hazards,which makes for a good variety as well. Pin placements are in great spots and MOST baskets are in good shap. It's pretty easy to learn where to go after each hole. They are not right on top of each other but they are pretty close to it.Navagation is not a problem here.
Cons: First...natural tee pads....BLAH! I know I'm not the only one who hates them. Most of these tees are uneven and small. Hole SIX HAS NO BASKET!!! This isn't a case of us not being able to find it. It's gone. When it was there,it was so twisted and bent from the river flooding it was not playable. Get a new basket for hole 6!
Other Thoughts: Good course,nuff said.

Planning on Playing There Again

1    10/18/2008   4/30/2009
Review By: Nosh
Pros: 18 holes of challenge plenty of obstacles. Tees and pins well placed to make you work for it.
Cons: Water hazards come into play if you are not careful (good challenge but no one likes to lose a disc).
Other Thoughts: I've only played two rounds in one trip to the park but had so much fun I'd really like to get back there again. I'm sure my review will change when I get back from my next outing. Course path was a little confusing at the beginning but I figured it out.

Kirkland

5+    10/25/2008   11/10/2008
Review By: andy8755
This review was updated on 3/24/2009
Pros: -Pretty open course with trees influencing your approach to some holes.
-River and Pond come into play on several holes, makes you play more cautiously
-Rarely more than one other golfer or group, which I like.
Cons: -Basket on 8 has been damaged by some hooligans.
-Water holes can lead to many lost discs if you're inexperienced on the course.
-8-9 get flooded during spring thaw.
Other Thoughts: -On March 14th I aced hole number 14 with my Destroyer, which on the second round was lost in the pond on the very same hole.
-Goose feces everywhere most of the year, but hasn't ever kept me from playing here.
-Personal best score of -9 (playing all par 3's)

Pioneer Park

5+    8/9/2008   8/26/2008
Review By: Tripod2
Pros: (I'm a bit biased because I aced hole 17 on 10/1/07.)

A rather challenging 18 holer that makes you use a variety of different shots/strategies to do well on. Low ceilings and trees terribly close to the teepad come into play on several holes.

There's normally noone at the course, except for an old fat guy in a golf cart "walking" his dog, some guys fishing, or an old lady, in the middle of the fairway on holes 16 or 17, walking her dog.

Cons: Wear shoes you don't mind getting destroyed because there's usually goose droppings everywhere! There are significant water hazards on 3 holes and on 3 more if you have horrible, errant shots. (I've lost several discs into the pond off of tee# 14)

Hole #10 is wretched if you're a sidearmer without a decent backhand shot; the treeline on the right is porous and probably won't catch your disc before it goes straight into the Kishwaukee River.

If there's a lot of rain, then holes 8 & 9 will most likely get washed out.
Other Thoughts: Aside from the negative remarks I gave due to the water holes, it's an unsuspectingly challenging course.

1 2 Next >