Somerset, CA
Pioneer Park Share
Uploaded By: CptSaveAPar Hole #1 (Taken 12/2011)
3 / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

I Want To Steal The Previous Reviewers Title!

1    8/18/2012   9/20/2012
This review was updated on 11/9/2012
Pros: The previous reviewer "Jasonandsharon" perfectly summed up this course in his title. That is, it being a very solid course with some serious navigation issues. Actually, I could just plagiarize his entire review, it's that well written. You might want to just skip over mine and give his a thumbs up!
But I'll try and add some of my own intrepid insights. I played the course in August and things were bone dry. Water in the creek on the front nine would have certainly added to the beauty and challenge here. I think it was # 7 that I never found the teepad for. That's too bad because I really wanted to throw to that nifty basket location.
# 15 is a great longer hole and a perfect one to bring out your roller disc.

The signature hole on the course for me was # 16. It's a great ACE run where accuracy is really needed to stay out of trouble and at least come away with a birdie. You're throwing from up on a small hillside across a park road through a fairly small tunnel through the trees. Enjoyed the challenge here.
# 18 was another fun little ACE run. I'd like to see a small amount of trimming done to some branches here to give players a more realistiic chance for the ACE!. It's still a enjoyable little finishing hole.
Cons: The back nine really broke down as far as navigation went. I was fairly lost on holes 10-14. Really couldn't make much sense out of these. Signs were broke off or didn't seem to reflect upon the proper holes.
Other Thoughts: As I was finishing my round, two groups of people showed up to play. Had I been able to join them or follow, I'm sure my experience would have reflected more positvely upon this course. As is, there are some really enjoyable holes lurking just below the surface waiting to be played if you only know where to go, most of the front 9, as well as #'s 15, 16 and 18. And I'd like to see this course when it's not totally brown and parched.
So in conclusion, I say with a little water and a tiny bit of help navigating it, I think this is a course that could really grow on me.

Good Solid Course Hidden Under a Nightmare of Navigation

5+    9/13/2012   9/13/2012
Review By: jasonandsharon
Pros: The course is located in a nice park with lots of anemities. Basketball court, two baseball diamonds, a horse arena, playground, and a community center. There is a solid course here once you figure it all out with lots of different shots varieties. You've got uphills, downhills, hyzers and anhyzers. You've got short holes under 200 feet, you've got longer holes over 400 feet. You've got tunnels and wide open fields. Theres a creek that plays through the front 9 giving some water hazards, although dry in summer. It really is a nice mixture of play. The course plays around all of the park starting and ending at roughly the same spot by the parking lot. And as others have mentioned the gas staion on the corner serves as a pro shop.
Cons: 1. Navigation, Navigation, Navigation!!! This course is really confusing without a guide or map. Tee signs don't match basket numbers. Holes share the same tees and one basket serves for two holes.
2. It really is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Not a con if you live close by but for most people will be.
Other Thoughts: This course was tough to review. The first time playing I spent most of the time looking for the tees and baskets and muttering and cussing to myself. I could see why some people don't bother to play this entire course. At this point I would have rated the course a 2 or lower. But being a glutton for punishment and after taking the time to figure out all the placements, I actually started to realize there was a pretty good course here. Once you know what you're doing and are not worried about navigation any more this course actually plays like a 3.5 course. Theres a lot of variety and shots and makes for a good throwing round. This course would easily be rated a 3.5 if the local club would just spend $5 on a can of paint and an hour in labor making it easier for people to find their way around. There is a really good course here and you can tell the locals have alot of fun here but if you are playing for the first time its going to take some time to figure out. I roughed out a course map and posted here, would highly recommend anyone trying to play to print it out before going, it will save you an hour of headache.

5+    7/4/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: lrghmn
Pros: Rock Formations. Shot Variety. And it's in a nice setting w/ cool locals. The course circles the parking lot so you can get as many holes as you want and just bounce.
Cons: Certainly no serious ones. It is hard to navigate the first time, but there are different ways to play the course. It's not maintained like golden gate park, but it is maintained.
Other Thoughts: Corner store serves as pro shop. When in Pville I often drive past another course to go here.

Odd number of holes

1    11/16/2008   11/17/2008
Review By: J.Koeberlein
Pros: Bathrooms, water, tables, horse arena.
Most holes are in the range for birdie but when you miss your pathway you can be in trouble. It's short enough that newbies wont be totally out of their league but moderate players will have a challenge. Interesting use of the field, hole two and five use the same tee--pad. There are four alternate pins the old post style that we used as extra holes.
Cons: Even though the use of the field is interesting the layout is confusing. Finding the next hole is not obvious. Hole 13 is a "blind hole" that's over a roadway and the pin is next to a table, send someone to watch.
Other Thoughts: After hole 7 cross the baseball field but turn to the left (third base side) for tee-pad 8 near the horse arena.