Warwick, NY
Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park Share
3 / 240ft.   3 / 364ft.   3 / 318ft.   4 / 437ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yes, You Want to Play Here!

2-4    11/5/2016   11/9/2016
Review By: PuzzledGuy
Pros: Made a road trip to play this course for the first time, and so glad I did. We played three of the four possible layouts (all but blue/blue).

This is a beautiful park and location. The course plays through woods, across fields, and includes a elevation changes and some water.

I was really impressed by the various tee and basket placements. It creates a surprising amount of variety in a single course.

Signage is very good (there were one or two that weren't quite right, but all tees had something).

Lots of benches and trash cans on the course. Also a few restroom facilities.

Great local disc golf community - players welcomed us and gave advice about the local courses, places to eat, etc.
Cons: Cons are hard to come by - it would have been helpful to have pointers to the next tee at the baskets, but that wasn't a problem after we played the first round.

The only other con is that it's four and half hours from Rochester!
Other Thoughts: Playing the silver tees/silver baskets (shortest possible layout) was a great way to learn the course. I think the blue tees/silver baskets was my favorite layout.

Wolfe Woods is another disc golf course right off hole 15. It's a short, technical course also worth playing. The Oasis is across the street and is also fun to play.

Easy to contact the local Skylands Flying Disc Club group on Facebook to get more info and a possible guide. Grab lunch at the Edenville Deli - a great little disc golfer friendly lunch spot just a few minutes down the road.

Double the Fun!

1    9/27/2016   11/5/2016
Review By: Discette
Pros:
This is a beautiful park and a very scenic disc golf course. Warwick offers a variety of shots from wooded to wide open. It also has a lot of elevation in play. I played this course as part of a trip covering 12 states in 12 days. This was the only course I played in New York.

Double the Fun!
Warwick has two sets of tee on every hole as well as two different targets on every single hole. Having two sets of baskets installed on a course at the same time is not very common in the Midwest or the Western US. This trip to New England was the first time I ever played a course with two targets. By the end of my trip, I played 6 different courses with dual targets. This is one of the better two target courses I played on my 12 states in 12 days road trip.

Two Targets
The two targets and two tees means this course has an endless number of possibilites for play. It appears the Silver Tees to the Silver baskets may have been the original design. I don't know that, it is just the way the course played. Blue tees to Silver baskets seemed the most straightforward and this is the layout I (mostly) played. I played a few blue targets that looked more fun and interesting than the silver targets. Some of the target chains were rusting.

Two Tees
All the tees were concrete and in good conition. Both sets of tees have complete tee signs showing the options from that tee. The blue tee signs also had "animals" welded on the top so they were easier to spot in the distance.

Amenities
Two sets of concrete tees with accurate signs on every tee. There were benches on many holes and lots of trashcans throughout the course.

Upkeep
There was a lot of graffitti on the signs and some of the baskets are showing their age. This course is dated and faded.

Navigation
This is a very easy course to navigate. There were tee signs on every hole and the "animals" on the blue tee signs make it easy to see where to go next.

Kids, Carts and Strollers
This course can handle kids, carts and strollers. There may be a few holes where the going gets rough. However the course is so long and drawn out a cart would be welcome. As I recall, there was only one restroom near tee 17 (but not sure.) Even though it is long, the terrain isn't that tough, so kids can walk along. You could cut out after Hole 7 and 13 as the next tees are kind of close to the parking lot.

All 18 in a row
Once you tee off on Hole 1 you don't get back to the parking area until Hole 18. That being said, it is easy enough to make a quick trip to the car after playing the Blue pin on Hole 7 before heading back up to the 8 tee. It would also be possible to make a quick run over to the parking area from the tee on Blue 14 or Blue 16.

Cons:

Faded and Dated
The only con is that this course is faded and dated. I can see that at one time, this course was a shining jewel. However, the luster has diminished. The rusted tee signs and targets have seen better days.
Not my Top 25
While this course is a top 25 course for DGCR, it would not make my top 25. I guess I was expecting more from a DGCR Top 25 course. While it was a beautiful park and I enjoyed the variety, there was nothing spectacular about the layout of this course or the challenge. This course may have been worthy of a 5 rating at one time, it has now rusted and faded to a 4.

Other

I would definitely like to come back here to play both Silver and Blue separately as well as the Wolfe Woods course on site.

Heaven on Earth

5+    3/21/2015   8/19/2016
Review By: iHitTree
Pros: I'll spare the hole to hole detail and say this right away: PLAY HERE. The course is designed and maintained by a team of people including one of the best players in the world, Steve Brinster, and one of the original disc golfers Dan Doyle, among numerous other people that make this place great. First off, you have 4 options on every hole, leaving you infinite layouts to play. There are pavilions and bathrooms, great tee pads and signs, ample parking, and most of what you hope to find at a top course. My favorite holes include hole 2 blue/blue (nice par 4 that more or less requires a good placement turnover downhill drive, then the entire hole redirects almost backwards for a tough tunnel approach uphill), hole 8 blue/blue (another nice horseshoe type hole with another placement turnover to get out of the woods tunnel, then an uphill approach to a basket with a menacing OB peninsula and trees in front of it), hole 14 silver/blue (signature hole, great downhill bomb through a narrow-ish tree gap with plenty of trees and a creek protecting the basket, great par 4), hole 17 blue/blue (big open crushes, long open par 4 with a protected basket and OB on the right), and finally hole 18 blue/blue (massive par 5, awesome placement tunnel shot off the tee, nice roller opportunity for 2nd shot to get near silver basket, then a big left to right throw over the OB/across road to try to get your birdie).
Cons: I'm sorry, I just don't have any cons. Sometimes the bathroom is locked. That's the best I got.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses, and being from Philadelphia area, I wish I could get here more, as it's about 2.5 to 3 hours from me. The locals that play there are all awesome guys and gals, and I can't say enough positive about this place. Even the surrounding area/region is the beautiful Skylands mountain area with some breathtaking views.

Wowee!

2-4    5/29/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: jeditden
Pros: -Amazing variety of holes. With beautifully made change ups. Hole 1 nice and open into a sweet high elevation Hole 2 canopy tree shot. It's got it all
-2 concrete tee pads, as well as 2 baskets on almost every hole. Take note of that. Not just locations, but baskets. Meaning no waiting for your preferred setup. Yeah!
-Very well maintained grounds. I felt like I was playing ball golf at times.
-Hole's 8 and 13 were two of my favorite. Loved the two pine trees flanking the hole on 13. Should be a postcard from the tee box, ha.
-Big park with lot's of parking and bathroom facilites.
Cons: -Not much that I can think of really. I'm originally from the area, but didn't discover the sport until I moved to the mecca of disc golf in NC. But no course I have played can come close to this one. I get angry if I come up to visit and it's too cold or rainy to play...
-It's the only course really around (Unless you count Wolfe Woods, which is in the same park, but is much more wooded) so I imagine it'd get busy if you came on weekends, which I have avoided so far.
-Some of the tee signs are starting to show some wear and it can be a tad difficult to find the next hole without a map, but that's because it's such a large course.
Other Thoughts: -Not much else to say. It's in the town of Warwick, which if you don't know is pretty high $$$, so that probably explains why this course is so nice. But the small amount of players I have encountered there have
been super nice and friendly.
-Get out there and play. I wish I knew about this place before I left NY.
Lousy stinking NC (I kid, I have some great courses down here.)

Interesting and Well Maintained.

2-4    5/16/2015   5/28/2015
Review By: Lance Philip
Pros: Clean and well maintained. All tee box signs are in place. There is a great variety in hole types. The baskets are all in great shape. Great for all skill levels.
Cons: There are some steep elevations that are a bit challenging to climb and descend if you are not sure footed. There really needs to be signs at the end of holes to guide you to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I really love this course. It's clean, well maintained and offers a nice variety of holes. There are some tough elevations to climb on the front 9 but levels out on the back 9. This course provides enough of a challenge to keep it interesting every time it's played.

Is there a better course?

1    7/13/2014   3/20/2015
Review By: Disc Golf Chuck
Pros: This course has it all. I felt like I was at a country club as I played the beautiful holes that this course offers. This is the best course I've played in the three years I've been playing.
The two tees and two baskets on every hole makes this course suitable for the beginner, the intermediate, and the advanced player. There are four separate, and permanent, layouts because of the two tee pads and two baskets on every hole.
The variety of the holes was excellent. There were some tighter, wooded holes, some short holes, and some open holes that allowed you to really test out your arm. Just about every shot was needed to play this course.
The signage was very good and informative.
The course was very clean and the beauty stunning.
A few locals saw that we were first-timers, gave us tips, and were very friendly.
The creek, large trees, squirrel, and other natural habitat just added to the experience.
The park has a pavilion, ample parking, and restrooms. The tees and baskets are in fine shape.
There is some elevation on many of the holes and the pin placements are done well to allow for enjoyment as well as difficulty and challenge.

Cons: Some may consider the remote location to be a con, but I would drive nearly two hours again to play this course.
The course is a bit on the long side and took some time to play. This isn't the course for you if you want to play a quick round. But when you're in these surroundings, you want to take your time, soak it in, and enjoy every minute. There is no need to rush.
Other Thoughts: I played the silver tee pads to the blue baskets while my 12-year-old son played the silver tees and silver baskets. The walking for my son was a bit much, but he also enjoyed this course.
Being from Arizona and in New York for two weeks, I had to play this course. It was well worth the trip...the 2,500 mile trip from Arizona as well as the 1 hour and 45 minute drive from where I was visiting in upstate New York.

Favorite course, bar none

1    12/26/2014   2/12/2015
Review By: itstallchris
Pros: Excellent, diverse, well maintained landscape for a disc golf course.
Four permanent layouts, accommodates all skill levels.
Course design teaches disc golf skill progression very well, not found at many other courses by themselves.
Another course with two layouts located in same park.
Three baskets (usually) available for putting practice (two blue baskets near parking, 7 and 18, don't get a whole lot of traffic)
All things considered, great disc golf experience.
Cons: Vandalism (sign damage and ace signatures), but nothing more than what's common at other public courses.
Other Thoughts: This is the kind of course every disc golfer wishes they had as their home course.
This is where I first encountered disc golf, and I've played some courses in school and in travel, but I've learned the most here at Warwick.
If you want to give someone a best impression and modern representation of disc golf, bring them to Warwick.

Love this course!!!

5+    9/26/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: krismarvin88
Pros: I absolutely love this course. It's very well maintained, the fairways are always mowed, the baskets are very well take care of, the courses are all marked as to where the different baskets and tees are, and what the par is. There's even a pro shop across the street and bathrooms.
Cons: I can't seem to find any, the only thing I could say is that some of the signs for the holes could be updated, some have gotten wet and started to run, others have had the par or hole number changed with a magic marker. But I can deal with that so long as I can read them!
Other Thoughts: Great great course. The other players are always friendly. Best part is, cell service is next to nothing out there so no one bothers you while you're playing!

Warwick Park Well Worth the Break

1    8/19/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Two! Two! Two for you, because one won't do! Brakewell Steel/Warwick Park has two tees on each hole.Two baskets on each hole. There is even a second course on site, Wolfe Woods, though I didn't play it. Tees are concrete, and signs are full of good information about all of the possibilities. I chose to play the long (blue) tees and short (silver) baskets, I think they call this the blue-silver layout. The short tees are referred to as silver, and the long baskets are trimmed in, and called blue. Blue-silver par is 57, and I was surprised when I played my first round at 56. Under par on a first round at a course of this caliber is not common for me, giving me one more reason to like the place. All of the equipment was really nice, grass was cut, course was fresh and clean. Obviously popular, and for good reason. Lots of people were spending the gorgeous August afternoon there, but the course was not overcrowded on a Tuesday. On the front nine I started and finished with a birdie, and only bogey was on hole 2. Bird on one is a nice start, but no big deal. I gave it right back with a two putt on 2, a fun downhill hole with a hard right turn. 3 is a cool shot uphill, with stands of large trees around the top end protecting the basket. 4 runs a corridor through the woods, and 5 begins in the open grass near the park entrance, but the pin is up the side of a fairly steep, wooded hill. Six is a 364' run through the woods. 7 plays more open, on a lengthy drive towards the parking lot. 8 is a tricky shot downhill and turning right through dense trees, but if you clear, the basket is wide open back in the grass near the tee for 5. I nailed the drive, but missed a 40' look at a two. 9 is open and uphill, with the basket tucked behind a group of trees, and I hit the birdie putt on this hole. The back nine I played even par disc golf (30), with a bogey on 11, but getting it back on 15, with some good driving on a par 4 that measures 550'. 10 is another big throw down a sun-drenched grassy hill, before 11 takes you into the low spots in the creek bend, and I took bogey after a poor drive that avoided the water luckily. 12 plays back the other way on the opposite side of the creek. There is enough water to lose a disc here, so beware. 13 comes out of the trees and climbs the hill toward the parking lot, longer but open once clear the short tee. 14 is a highlight. Long tee throws over the road, with the silver pin cutting right in front of a line of tall trees, and descending the hill over 480'. Very fun shot for RHBH, or anyone else I guess, had to get 2 off this tee. 15 blue passes between an early gap, and is long and open if you hit your spot. Scored a 3 with a great approach. 16 again drives across the road, and downhill, with some scattered trees. Fun and reachable from the tee. 17 tees near the soccer field, and it's the monster on the course, 651' blue to silver. Up and over a large hill, down the other side, second shot hopefully in the trough shooting to the edge of the trees, on another hill in the corner. 18 is not so long, and the long tee is elevated, but still two hard throws to get close to the silver pin. The versatility of the course ranges to make it as easy or hard as you can take. Most of the holes are really good if not great.
Cons: I had some trouble getting to the course, the apple map app was smarter than google maps on this one. Traffic may require you to wait when teeing across the road, but it is worth waiting for. Sunscreen is in order if you are prone to sunburn, several holes are exposed and long.
Other Thoughts: Planning the trip, this park was one I looked forward to playing, and looking back I remember how impressive it is hole by hole. The silver-silver, silver-blue, or blue-blue, and the Wolfe Woods leave a lot I didn't see, and with that in mind I believe the 4.5 rating is well deserved. The town itself, and the trip to get there are very nice too.

A Complete Round of Golf

1    7/17/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Steve Brinster is one of the best disc golf players on the planet, people are well aware of that. But man, can he also design a course. The Brakewell Steel course in Warwick Park is right up there with the top courses in the country in terms of design, variety, and maintenance. The course covers many different sections of the park to provide a thoroughly balanced round. It clearly is the priority of the park and is immaculately groomed. There is plenty of parking space, a pavilion, and bathrooms very close to hole one.

This course screams "complete". My most dominant thought during and after my round was how thorough my round was. A day at Warwick provides a full experience of disc golf, not lacking in any aspect. The course has an unparalleled fun-factor quality to it, offering a tremendous variety in levels of woodenness, hole lengths, and pars.

All of the equipment is in great shape, starting with the very comfortable concrete tees. Tee signs are informative and are at both tee positions. Blue and silver baskets are respectively colored. The multiple tee and permanent pin positions do a tremendous job of adding variety to the hole, with 4 possible layouts available at any time. The pin positions especially not only make the holes more difficult by adding length, but offer a great difference in risk/reward on many occasions. The different pin positions also often drastically changed the look of the hole in a way that so few courses do.

One aspect of design that I personally love is when a hole is multi-staged and changes its feel as you approach the basket. Warwick is one of the best courses - if not the best - I've played where holes evolve in different levels of woodenness and elevation. Hole after hole (after hole) greatly changes in its quality from tee to basket. I love holes like 2 that have so many great aspects about it. From blue-blue, the hole plays downhill through a tight lane in the woods, hits a 90+ degree turn, and plays uphill as you approach the basket among trees. Holes like this cannot adequately be described, they must be played to experience their level of completeness. This rings true for many holes here, with 3, 5, 8, 14, 15, and 18 also being great examples of providing multi-stage par 4's and 5's.

Elevation is used tremendously throughout the course, with many holes playing through rollings hills (in the woods and in the open), as well as a few uphill and downhill bombs. No two holes use the elevation the same way. For example, there are a few holes that play downhill, but they are all vastly different from one another.

There is not a remotely boring or out-of place hole on the course. I really appreciated how every hole allows you to be creative on every shot, combining the offering of multiple lanes and the great elevation changes. There is no hole that just offers one line, one way to play it. A great deal of risk/reward is offered with some crazy pin positions on holes 3 and 5 and the creek on 11 and 14. Some fast fairways also make you think twice before you throw on holes like 4 and 8.

The course is nicely sprawled throughout the park and does a great job of playing through vastly different topographical sections of the park. The expanse of the park's land that is used is really amazing, and thedesigners did an awesome job of utilizing each part of the park to create a great blend of holes. The course does a great job of avoiding other park traffic and winds its way back to the parking after 18.
Cons: -My biggest complaint, which is a very minor one, is that there is some backtracking from the blue pins. It feels like the navigation of the course was designed around the silver baskets, which often have a path closer to them taking you to the next tee than the blue ones do.
-Navigation was great for the most part, but there are a few times where next tee signs would be helpful, especially from the blue baskets
-There is a good bit of poison ivy on the heavily wooded holes
Other Thoughts: For a course to be in the best-of-the-best category, it must have a very balanced variety of shots and hole types, offer a great deal of risk/reward play, be well maintained and aesthetically pleasing, and have a certain character about it that distinguishes it from the other phenomenal courses out there. Warwick provides each of these aspects.

The fact that it offers 4 permanent layouts is awesome, and the variety of that this course has makes its replay-factor through the roof. How can the shortest layout double in length when compared to the longest layout, and have a difference of 14 for par? Only Warwick provides this type of awesome variety.

I was a little skeptical about its high praise coming into my round, and was viewing the course with a critical eye. Though I was ready to find flaws in the course to keep from giving it a 5-disc rating, I did not find anything worth knocking it down. This course is awesome, offering unparalleled variety and such a complete round of disc golf.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6