Warwick, NY
Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park Share
Uploaded By: toothyfish Hole #11 (Taken 6/2010)
3 / 264ft.   3 / 324ft.   3 / 286ft.   3 / 304ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Short Tee

fun

2-4    4/29/2010   4/29/2010
Review By: mozz46
Pros: Played on silver/silver. Nice with 2 pads and 2 pins. great layout and 2nd course right behind hole 15.Shows where blue/silver pads are at.Great use of the land.
Cons: Finding your way from pin to next hole.Short pads on a couple of holes. Fell off and about fell. So had to change my x-step.
Other Thoughts: Would of had a hard time to find my way from hole to hole.But ended up playing doubles with some locals.Was just a bit windy. Cant wait to go back when its calm out and play different config.

They call me Tatter Salad

2-4    4/12/2010   4/16/2010
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: *Multitude of different shots and distances to choose from
*Very well maintained and groomed
*Clear signs and nice concrete tee boxes
*Good use of land and lumps
*Requires distance and finesse
Cons: *Some basket overlap eachother when going for the far pins
*Fileds can be crowded, aswell as the course itself
Other Thoughts: It starts out kind of slow with the first hole, but then makes up for it right away with some sick shots down through pine trees and then back up to a nice little perched pin on a hill. works its way through more woods and back out arond fields giving a nice mixture of shots and challenges. all in all a very good course and much respect to the guys who maintain this course because it looks great.

A great venue... but...

5+    4/1/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: Taino
This review was updated on 4/19/2011
Pros: Excellent facilities: groomed fairways, baskets in great shape, tees sturdy, helpful signs at all tees with distance to baskets, four (!!!!!!) different possible layouts, all concrete tee pads. Very challenging, requiring every shot in your arsenal. Entrance is free!
Cons: Tee pads were too short. No signage at all from hole to hole. No maps or scorecards. Fairways can be considered crowded together, particularly the ones in the open. Fairways can be busy with families.
Other Thoughts: The venue is well-tended; fairways are clear, grounds are mowed, and the course(s) layout makes fantastic use of existing terrain including a stream that cuts through hole 11. I've only played a few parks that have either alternate tees or alternate baskets; Warwick has both, undoubtedly leading to some truly epic outings.

Unfortunately, there are a couple things about it that might seem like I'm nitpicking, but they really did factor in my enjoyment.

First and foremost: the tee pads are at least a step too short for me, and surprisingly enough the short sizing appears to be random. Some of the tees are longer, some are shorter, and there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why. Still, I regularly found myself stumbling off the front of the tee on my first round (silver/silver), and was forced to start my X-step approach on the grass behind the raised concrete for the rest of my time there (blue/silver). Now, I don't have an exceptionally long X-step - three steps total - but I was forced to drastically change my tee shots to compensate for the short tees. Perhaps that will make me a better golfer, but it was annoying as hell at an otherwise excellent venue.

Updated to say: I went to two other courses in the Westchester area since playing at Warwick, and the tees at Warwick are definitely shorter than usual; I wasn't just imagining it. *sigh* It's a shame, really... I mean, the 18th hole has a 900+ foot option. With a short tee, it's a pain to drive effectively.

Updated again to say that I don't particularly want to play here again. The short tees have managed to injure me, and I've had it with this place.

I managed to find my way with a printed map from this site, but without that map I would have been hopelessly lost. There are absolutely no signs pointing to the next tee. On the back nine it's not so difficult to figure, but the front nine is tricky. Throw in the multiple baskets and multiple tees, and it got very confusing.

The fairways on the back nine all go back and forth, and are sandwiched in practically on top of each other. While you likely aren't in any danger, I had two close calls from someone driving off a tee nearby (front nine) and having their disc take a wild bounce, and nearly hit someone else whom I couldn't even see (hole 10).

Lastly, a couple of the holes are located right near 1) a soccer pitch, and 2) a kid's playground. On my second round, I couldn't use the blue tee on 17 due to a soccer practice and family camped out on it, and the blue tee on 16 is entirely too close to the playground for my comfort.

Thanks for the negative review. Makes my day when I'm honest, and someone shits on that honesty.

Beautiful and challenging

5+    9/1/2010   3/19/2010
Review By: Labelkills
This review was updated on 9/9/2010
Pros: This course is wonderful. It really earns its rating.

Great use of elevation.
Mix of open and heavily wooded holes.
Very well maintained.
Concrete tees.
Benches on every hole.
Maps on every hole.
2 tees and 2 baskets for every hole.
Signs and good natural flow to find next tee.
restrooms and water.
Lots of holes have a feeling of privacy
Cons: It can get busy in the summer.
especially after 5.
I wish there was water in play.
13 has a creek to the left of the fairway. but thats it for water hazards.
There is only one place in the area to get discs. It has a very small selection. (the toy store on main st in the village of warwick)
they recently got rid of two of the coolest holes (3 and 4) and put in two mediocre holes.
Other Thoughts: I will never love another course like i love you Warwick. even though i had to move away i promise i will visit on weekends and holidays. i miss you

love - Scott

AMAZING

2-4    9/12/2009   1/26/2010
Review By: goalkeeper19
Pros: -Dual Concrete Tees
-2 Colored Baskets per hole (silver and blue)
-EXCELLENT variety in challenge. Silver-silver is a nice fun course that doesn't take very long to play, and is plenty easy to get birdies. Blue-blue, on the other hand, is a BEAST, and extremely challenging for advanced/pro players. The difference between the blue and silver baskets in most cases is not just about adding extra length, but adding a LOT more challenge (2,3,8,9,15,17,18).
-Elevation everywhere, almost every hole utilizes a good amount of elevation.
-Memorable holes (2,5,8,10,14, 15, 18)
-CRAZY holes (2,3,8,14,15,18 on Blue-blue)
-excellent pin placements, with good risk-reward near several baskets
-thoughtful design definitely shows, the course flows pretty well once you've played it once.
-Beautiful course, very well maintained, on a very scenic property.
Cons: -Slightly confusing the first time through, especially between 6-7, and finding some of the longer tee pads (14 is across the road). an additional course on the property can mislead the player into playing different holes.
Other Thoughts: I would literally play this course 3 times a day if I lived closer. I would definitely stop to play here every single time I'm in the Tri-State area. Well worth the trip, and the time. Play all 4 varieties, it's an amazing experience to see 18 holes from so many different angles.

Courses like this make me love the game.

5+    7/25/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: StymieDidIt
Pros: A nice variety of wooded holes and open holes. Varied approaches and elevation. Well maintained. Possibility of playing 4 different ways with the dual tee boxes and dual baskets for each hole. Concrete tee pads are great opposed to gravel or rubber,and are good sized pads. The only thing keeping me from giving this course a rating of 5, is the fact that I've never been to a 5, so I wouldn't know what perfect is.
Cons: Not too many. Better signage and directions for the tees. Maybe marking the course for pedestrians that aren't aware that they're traversing a disc golf course. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to the people if they knew that they should beware the golfers.
Other Thoughts: It's an unfortunate fact that many people are slobs with no repect for public facilities. Maybe more trash containers for the lazy golfers that can't pack it out.

1    3/7/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: suzy q
Pros: the course was very well laid out, all the holes were very well marked. the choice of tee/basket was great. the concrete tees were awesome! the local players were extremely friendly and very helpful
Cons: early spring is not such a good time to play...LOTS of mud....especially #6!!
Other Thoughts: other than muddy terrain in spring, the course is great. and as an added bonus there is a 2nd 18 hole course in the woods behind the park....the holes are short, but everything is very well marked, a very fun little course. a great way to wind down after the first 18 holes!!!

Top Rated?

1    2/9/2009   2/9/2009
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: The park it self is pretty nice and well maintained. Parking is no problem at all.
When you get to hole 1 there is a huge bulletin board with loads of information and even score cards!! The course has a unique layout making the 18 hole course actually 2 courses. As everyone here has said and the course description has stated there are 2 of everything, no need for me to get more into that. I liked the challenge both the short and long tees/baskets gave. I played almost every combo of tees and baskets and each time was different (3 out of 4). The elevation change is great. All of those shots I keep shanking upward actually helped me on a couple holes. A couple holes have a creek that comes into play, especially for the blue baskets. Those holes are 11 and 14 both very enjoyable. A few holes go through fields but the pins are located around or in some trees making it more challenging and interesting than an all open field hole.

For the actual course it self, every tee has a sign for both short and long pads. Most courses don't bother with that, I liked it here. The few tee pads that were not under snow or ice were tapered at the back to allow for different approaches, pretty cool idea. I really enjoyed the park and it seemed like a good amount of effort was put into this course.
Cons: It took a bit of wandering around to find a couple holes the first time around but the course flows nicely and I was able to locate them pretty quickly. The locals litter a lot, there were beer cans and boxes all over the place, especially for a park that has a no alcohol policy. The bathrooms were locked for winter, no biggie, nothing they could do about that anyway. Some of the trashcans were overflowing....now i'm just trying to find things to bitch about...haha
Other Thoughts: Warwick park is a great disc golf course with a great variety of shots and challenges. I enjoy playing disc golf where ever I go and drove 2 hours to get here. With that said I drove a bit to play at Tyler State park in PA and felt that drive was much more worth it. I'm not sure why this park is so highly rated, it's a great park but in my opinion just great.
I played it in the snow/ice, and a few holes were very difficult to get to because of the huge sheets of ice around them, kinda fun actually. If I miss my puts my disc would slide forever. Maybe this place is more amazing in the spring, I played it in the winter. One more thing, someone left a lost disc near the bulletin board for the owner to find. Thats pretty cool, the people in most places wouldn't be so friendly.

Love it

5+    8/16/2006   2/2/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Two permanent baskets on every hole.
Two permanent teepads on every hole.

This combination makes the course very accessible for beginners and top pros alike.

Long sweeping fairways you get to go up, down, and across, mixed with an excellent wooded hillside makes for very little repetition - great variety here. The property is what every designer dreams of finding when looking for a DGC property. (You know when you're driving down some country highway making up holes in the scenic fields along the way? - This is that field!!)

Lots of parking, bathrooms, shelters available for tournaments, and locals who have started an "adopt a hole" program to spruce up and maintain their favorite holes. Warwick is definitely in my top 10 - a must see.
Cons: It's 5 hours from my house!
Not conveniently located - about an hour or a little more outside NYC along the NY/NJ border. Other than location - I can't think of anything bad to say about this course.
Other Thoughts: Dan Doyle has done an incredible job with this course. This is a course you SHOULD go out of your way to see. The first time I played it - it rained 6" - and I couldn't wait to go back.

Big Green Mean and Clean

1    6/11/2003   1/11/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Amazing course. Has everything you need for a good time. Very balanced with challenging but fair wooded holes. These are tight but not unreasonable. Fun but not easy open holes. You have to really be able to drive across an open field but usually need to negotiate some tight fairway at the beginning or end or both of your drive. Up and down elevation, very cool and at times extreme changes with hills and some almost cliff like areas. Varied terrain that keeps the course exciting and interesting. Unique basket and tee locations such as on steep edges, little island, and shooting down dramatic hills. Super long baskets, shorter baskets, clean park, very challenging without frustrating or seeming unfair. Variety of fairways. Theres even a big U-turn slicing hookshot type shot. Choices to challenge your strategy and skill as well as your muscle. The best thing about this place is it is very balanced. I would guess you could take a sixsome from New England, Florida, the Rockies, Texas, California, and Oregon and they would all feel the course is fair. There is just so much variety here. You can play it 4 different ways because of the permanent dual pin and dual tee pad options. Hurray! a moment that will stand out in your mind will be standing on the tee of 18. ....One of the first courses to adapt to strides made in disc technology. When maintained I am sure the island green is really cool. Good tee pads. No seedy undesireables in the park. I really love the new woods holes, a great improvement from the past holes near the road and playing away and walking backtrack to the cliff hole.
Cons: Really a delightful course. Some of the holes are a bit outdated in regards to what some top caliber players can do with premium discs. I am not an expert and from the longs I was able to flirt with birdie quite often. In that sense the course does not seem to reward upper echelon players the way some of the newer courses do.I list this a con because I think score differentation is evident of a top notch course. It can be cumbersome at times to throw at the correct basket if your not scouting ahead or playing course for first time. (just pay attention to the wonderful tee signs) Throwing across/near the soccer field is cool but during game time would be too difficult or dangerous.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course is worth the trip. It is world class and allows you to play 4 different layouts if you so desire. It is really green and pretty there. I love the east Coast. In the Fall I am sure it is very scenic and pleasant. It is a bit out of the way but I think Campgaw is nearby now so you could feasibly spend a full day playing some premium golf. It is no longer the ultimate destination it was 5-10 yrs ago for the east coast but it is still one of the best courses you will ever play.