Poncha Springs, CO
Poncha Springs Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)

1 2 Next >
 Poncha Spings

1    3/14/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: Tclarencebrown
Pros: Tee Pads: Every hole has a tee pad with a broom to help keep the pads clean. Also, the pads are more wide at the back of the pad and narrows toward the front of the pad. So the pad kind of formed an "arrow" pointing toward the basket.

Baskets: The baskets are new.

Signs/navigation: There is a kiosk at the start of the course and the signs on each hole were very helpful. The paths on the course were often lined with rocks on each side to help guide you to the next hole. Also, there was orange tape hanging from some of the trees and baskets to help guide the way. This was a nice extra.

Flow: The course had a good flow and natural flow.

Restroom: There was only one port-a-potty but it is in a spot that you pass by 4 or 5 times during a round.
Cons: Game Play: The holes were for the most part were very short and I felt that some of the holes were repetitive and with all of the low pines it is hard to really open up. I feel that a good over hand player would do very good on this course. I would like to have seen some longer holes that you could open up on.

Multiple pin placements/tees: From what I could gather there were no alternate pins or tees. Not a huge deal for a one time player, like myself, but if I were a regular this would be a huge negative for me. I do, however feel that with the land that the course is on the course does utilize the land well.

Scorecards: There were no score cards available. With this being my only time playing this course I don't know if this is and everyday problem.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course was very fun and had a lot of ace runs. I would play this course again if ever in the area.

Very Fun

1    7/19/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The Poncha Springs DGC is a beautiful tract located just south of highway 50 in the heart of the Rockies with creek side mountain views. The course has a very nice map that I photographed before I played incase I got lost and found that I never needed it. Each tee box has a good detailed sign and the basket have worm paths leading to the next tee box. Most tee boxes have a broom on them. The course land is very rocky and many of the rocks have been gathers to line the paths fairways and tee boxes, usually resulting in a very classily constructed tee area. It is obvious that there is a very active local scene that has put in tons of man hours on this course.

I would like to hear the story about how they were able to pave some of the tee areas because many of the boxes seem inaccessible to a heavy duty cement truck. Maybe it would have been more clear if I had this though while playing, but my point is that the locals has done a fabulous job turning a rugged hillside into a bonafide disc golf course. Many of the tee boxes have shaded sitting areas. There are trash cans and I did not see any litter on the course when I played it. Short disc catching pine trees line the course and many of the baskets are in short locations. There are some blind shots and the baskets are usually guarded. They even had a porta-potty in the parking lot.
Cons: The course only has two holes over 300 feet and seven that are less than 200 feet. I get the feeling that aces are pretty common here. However there are many design elements that overcome its shortness, The two longest holes are 1 and 18, many of the shorter holes have some of the craziest lines, and none of them are simply out in the open. Because of the tightness of the course some errant drives can find the next tee so you have to be careful. The rocky terrain is not very accommodating to cheaper plastics, dare I say disc eating. Many of the trees are short so a hammer or spike hyzer can run at the basket pretty easy. Bring water.
Other Thoughts: I had a BLAST here because scoring was easy and the terrain was not. This natural setting along with very nice course construction is my personal favorite type of course. It felt like I was just running up and down rugged terrain making shots. I bumped my grade up a notch because of the high fun factor.

Poncha Springs

1    10/19/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: RevDrDisc
This review was updated on 8/6/2012
Pros: Good signs, nice pads, some facilities provided. Several tight holes. Gas station on the highway sells disc and offers help. New basket placements are much more interesting
Cons: The Cactus are all over the rough. The weather can change quickly. Bring your own water. The new basket placements are not clearly marked on signs.

7/19/2007   4/22/2008
Review By: Savage27
Pros: Short fun course. Many different types of shots are needed. Course is in great shape. Great elevation changes. Nice looking creek runs by the side of the course. Anything under 54 is a great score.
Cons: Cactus plants and rocks will piss you off by hole 7. Make sure you watch where your disc goes. There are several blind shots so losing a disc isn't hard.
Other Thoughts: Fun course that is challenging even though it is short. Blind shots make the course interesting.

1 2 Next >