Houston, TX
Tom Bass Regional Park - Wilmont Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #7 (Taken 11/2008)

Wide open but long

1    12/18/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: windsurf17
Pros: * The "Champion Level" course sign at the parking lot for Wilmont made me a little worried I would struggle on this course (now, see cons)
* Played E in the Amateur scoring on the board (a 64 I think). Not terrible. I'm not going to be getting many 3's on multiple 600+ foot holes...
Cons: * The "Champion Level" course sign is misleading; this course is only challenging because of the distance in the middle tees. It's wide open and you can really haul off and try to crush if you want. If it weren't for more than a few 600, 700, 800 foot par threes...
* Tough to find my way around. I took a picture of the board with my phone and that helped a lot, but with the long distances, it's hard to see the tees and baskets. I never did find #15 basket and gave myself a generous 4 after 20 minutes of searching.
* No other cons; I played this course on a rainy day where I had played earlier in the day already in Houston and I had a great time. It's disc golf. I was in the area. I'd play it again for sure (with little shade, the rainy day part might be important... on a summer day this could be a bit of a drain)
Other Thoughts: I played 36 holes on a Wednesday in the middle of December. I'm in the luckiest 99.99999% of people on earth.

2-4    10/13/2012   11/1/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: If you want to work on your bombs or try out your new high speed disc, there is no better place to do it then here. The average hole length here is right at 430 so there is plenty of room to air it out.
-This course had some very fun holes especially the two holes that go up and then back down the hill next to the amphitheater plus the 800' hole around the trees.
-If the grass is mowed then navigation is not an issue as most tee signs point directly to the basket and the next tee is not too far away from the basket.
-I have never seen any other disc golfers out here.
-Like Powell there is a map, restrooms, and a water fountain at the parking lot of the course.
Cons: Once you start at hole #1 and play the first three holes you get the sense that this may be a great course since all three of those holes play in the woods. Once you get out into the open though there is no room for the imagination as everything is fairly straight forward, long, and boring.
-I mentioned that once the grass is mowed it is easy to navigate. ONCE is the key word. The course does not see a routine mowing which can make disc finding very tricky.
Other Thoughts: Though this course is boring and long in my opinion it is still worth playing. Very few times will a disc golfer be able to play a course that is this long.
Still if you can only play one course, Powell is the one that you should play at this and save this for another day.

Long and Overgrown

8/11/2002   6/5/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros: The Wilmont DGC is very long and wide open for the most part, with plenty of distance and few obstacles between each hole. The first few holes however, are shorter and more technical through a series of trees, and are easily birdieable. It is here you want to score under, for the rest of the course is much more difficult to par or even birdie. This course is great for practicing drives as well as getting to know how your discs operate in the air. It would be perfect for "big arm" throwers and pros alike.
Cons: This course was difficult to navigate due to the grass being overgrown (higher than my waist). Due to this alone, it was hard to find baskets, tee pads/ tee signs, and especially my discs. I had to have a spotter the entire time once I was out of the first few holes, and felt like for being a champion caliber DGC there should have been a lot more to it.
Other Thoughts: If this course was manicured properly, with tight fairways, clear routes to each tee pad, and perhaps flags on the baskets to show where they were located, the course would be much nicer to look at and play. The distance was somewhat of an issue considering I drive over 350 feet and yet still felt like I was getting nowhere. The course took a lot out me (although that is not necessarily a bad thing), and during the month of August requires a lot of drinking water considering there was little shade, plenty of bugs, and even some snakes. Be sure to wear sunscreen and maybe even bug repellent when playing this course and expect this course to take a few hours.

A once proud course

5+    3/15/2008   3/26/2008
Review By: ERicJ
This review was updated on 2/16/2009
Pros:
Highly visible tee signs. Long course allows you to really air out those discs. Some holes require two full drives to get close to the basket. Zero chance of pedestrian interference. A great course to take your dog; secluded and lots of room to run (per park policy dogs must be leashed).

Has some really nice skill holes like #3 and #18 where a great tee shot will get you a birdie/2... and #8 where you need two great shots to put you in position for your putt at a 3. Hole #16 is a great tee location up on a hill which is a rarity on Houston courses.
Cons:
The biggest knock on Bass is that the fairways and tee boxes and get wet and stay that way for long periods of time. Also, mowing is infrequent and thus the grass can get very tall.

Some people will complain that the course is too long. They're weenies who don't appreciate holes where upshots matter.

The course map at the parking lot is no longer accurate.
Decent parking capacity by hole #1. If that lot is full park by the ampitheater and start on hole #14-#16.

The Wilmont is a great course to test your driving ability. On some holes you stand at the tee box and stare into the "wilderness" trying to see the basket off in the distance. Lots of length on this course, and I really like that for my game at this point in my career.

Was the site for Texas State DG Championships for many years.

In early 2009 the tee signs are being redone with accurate distances. Holes #7 and #12 have been changed because of Hurricane Ike.