Houston, TX
Tom Bass Regional Park - Wilmont Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #5 (Taken 3/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3
Good Challenge Course

2-4    8/29/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: hefalump
Pros: Long holes that make for an excellent practice course to air out a lot of discs in your bag. Trees in just the right places on some holes to make you think about a lot of shots. Set off from the rest of the park for very minimal interruptions while playing. Lots of trash cans and benches at each tee.
Cons: Upkeep is spotty at best. I have only seen one time where this course was completely mowed this summer. This could be an excellent course if they kept this course up as well as they do Powell. I do not mind playing a course every so often where I have to look for a throw or two, but when a player like myself has to spend at least 5 to ten minutes looking for a disc I have thrown every time due to very tall grass, that gets to be a bit much.
Other Thoughts: I like this course and that is why I travel more than 40 miles to play it once in a while. And I realize this part of the park probably does not see as much use as the Powell course does, but to let this course go for 2 months without mowing it is ridiculous. If the parks department cannot keep it mowed at least once a month, they ought to contract it out. Playing should be a pleasure not a burden. If this is not a helpful review, it ought to be just to let other players know to come out for Powell and not this one. This is an excellent open championship course when kept mowed. Otherwise, it is just an open field for a player to a lot of discs because of burial in grass that is way too tall.

Prairie Course

1    5/22/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: Long holes that make for good long drives. Two baskets up on the hill behind the amphitheater. Lets see...Guess that's just about it for the Pros.
Cons: Grass was way too high. I had to look for my disc after every throw. I just don't see any real challenge here except that this course has long holes and you practically have to throw your arm out to make par on each hole. This course is comparable to Old Settlers Park in Round Rock in terms of openness alone and the length of some holes. At least there are no 1000 foot holes like there are in Round Rock.
Other Thoughts: After playing some of the courses in north Houston, this course was somewhat of a disappointment. It was a challenge only in the sense that the holes were as long as they are, the two baskets on the hill providing a good putting challenge, and having to find where my last drive landed. At least I did make it down here to play this course and I did have fun while I was here. And I might even come back again. But having said all I have, I still have found better challenges elsewhere. One thing is for sure: At least I didn't lose any discs this go-round.

What Do You Want, Its Houston

2-4    3/12/2013   3/13/2013
Review By: jimjohnmarks
Pros: Yes, this course is mostly about huge distance, but it isn't nearly as boring as Powell (the other course located in this same park) and you don't have to compete with the play ground and picnic users over here.

And unlike many other mostly straight hyzer shot courses around Houston, at least this one offers some challenging distances -- most courses around town are nothing but straight hyzer shots in the 250-350 foot range with no trees.

This course actually does a very good job of working what few trees there are to make use of. #9 isn't "merely" an 800 foot monster, you actually have to pick your line or you're going to spend five throws bouncing off lumber. #14 isn't "merely" an 800 foot monster, you have to curve around a wetlands (if you lose a disc in here, don't even bother violating the signs to try to find it, they seem to vanish into another dimension).

Using the amphitheater hill for #14, #15 and #16 adds a dimension of altitude you can't find on ANY OTHER COURSE IN HOUSTON.
Cons: Unless you are playing the day after the lawn was mowed, you'll not only never get any skip distance, but it can also become very hard to find your disc.

The par ratings here are nonsense. Why ar people so obsessed with "EVERYTHING PAR THREE BRO"?

If #9, #11, #14 are a par three, then #4 and #10 should be par one or par two at most. These links are far too varied to be all par three.

They should re-number the course so that 1, 2 and 3 are actually 16, 17 and 18. It is totally absurd to make the three most nuanced, finesse shots of the whole round be the three you have to throw when you're arm is still ice cold. These are great links and I hate not being able to enjoy them because I know my arm isn't warmed up and I'm probably going to put a disc in the drink.

The very pretty map has #14 labeled totally incorrectly. Lost 15 minutes trying to find the basket once I rounded the wetlands on the left.

#14 IS UP THE SIDE OF THE HILL TO THE LEFT OF #15 WHICH IS AT THE TOP OF THE HILL. It is not out in the open near the fifteen tee.
Other Thoughts: Houston simply doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of terrain. It is a flat, flat, flat place and we've cut down pretty much all the trees. And the problem with this is that Houstonian disc golfers get accustomed to a certain kind of course. When they made Texas Army Trail tight, curving and wooded everyone complained until they shortened, widened and straightened it.

You can't play a course like this and then complain it is nothing but a boring "grip and rip" course unless you've never golfed in Houston. As dull as much of this course is, compared to the rest of Houston's offerings, this one is pretty interesting.

Wide open but long

1    12/18/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: windsurf17
Pros: * The "Champion Level" course sign at the parking lot for Wilmont made me a little worried I would struggle on this course (now, see cons)
* Played E in the Amateur scoring on the board (a 64 I think). Not terrible. I'm not going to be getting many 3's on multiple 600+ foot holes...
Cons: * The "Champion Level" course sign is misleading; this course is only challenging because of the distance in the middle tees. It's wide open and you can really haul off and try to crush if you want. If it weren't for more than a few 600, 700, 800 foot par threes...
* Tough to find my way around. I took a picture of the board with my phone and that helped a lot, but with the long distances, it's hard to see the tees and baskets. I never did find #15 basket and gave myself a generous 4 after 20 minutes of searching.
* No other cons; I played this course on a rainy day where I had played earlier in the day already in Houston and I had a great time. It's disc golf. I was in the area. I'd play it again for sure (with little shade, the rainy day part might be important... on a summer day this could be a bit of a drain)
Other Thoughts: I played 36 holes on a Wednesday in the middle of December. I'm in the luckiest 99.99999% of people on earth.

2-4    10/13/2012   11/1/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: If you want to work on your bombs or try out your new high speed disc, there is no better place to do it then here. The average hole length here is right at 430 so there is plenty of room to air it out.
-This course had some very fun holes especially the two holes that go up and then back down the hill next to the amphitheater plus the 800' hole around the trees.
-If the grass is mowed then navigation is not an issue as most tee signs point directly to the basket and the next tee is not too far away from the basket.
-I have never seen any other disc golfers out here.
-Like Powell there is a map, restrooms, and a water fountain at the parking lot of the course.
Cons: Once you start at hole #1 and play the first three holes you get the sense that this may be a great course since all three of those holes play in the woods. Once you get out into the open though there is no room for the imagination as everything is fairly straight forward, long, and boring.
-I mentioned that once the grass is mowed it is easy to navigate. ONCE is the key word. The course does not see a routine mowing which can make disc finding very tricky.
Other Thoughts: Though this course is boring and long in my opinion it is still worth playing. Very few times will a disc golfer be able to play a course that is this long.
Still if you can only play one course, Powell is the one that you should play at this and save this for another day.

You need a cannon

1    7/21/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: nomex
Pros: The Wilmont is a great course to work on distance, with some really long holes. Your driver game better improve if you've been playing this course after a while. Hole 14 seems taylor made for new RHBH players with drivers that are too fast for their arms (i.e. noob hyzers with overstable distance drivers in max weight/premium plastic). Wind is fairly common so the Wilmont is a great course for working with the wind, so you'll get a chance to have some head and tailwinds.
Holes 14,15,and 16 are great for working in a little elevation. Make sure you steer clear from the Wetlands, as your disc may be irrecoverable. When I came to play there was a group finishing, and a foursome ahead of us, so this course may not be in frequent use. This course is an excellent example of how disc golf is used to bring more use out of an otherwise under-utilized part of the park.

My favorite holes are:

1-3 in the woods, as you can set up/luck out with some shots that miraculously make it through trees.

Hole 8 has a nice finish to it with a technical upshot/putt with water hazards behind it.

Hole 14-16 are great fun and the hill of the amphitheater can be seen through the course, like some foreboding castle. Make sure your discs stay away from the wetlands.
Cons: The negative of the Wilmont course are:

Tall grass - If you lose sight of your disc and it tombstones, you're in for a long search.

Bring a map or someone who's played there before, or you may get lost/confused as to were the holes are.

I wish the tee boxes were at least asphalted but oh well, it'd be tough to get that kind of equipment around here, I guess.
Other Thoughts: I've heard so much about this course from my buddy, who's been playing since 2001, about how long this course was. I don't take the par 3 6-800 foot holes as a negative, but rather as a challenge to work on my technique so I can increase my distance game. To me, it beats throwing in a field for distance practice, because at least you're playing a round of golf. I played MacGregor Park, TC Jester, and the Powell course, so it's nice to be able to grip and rip without fear of hitting some park users (well, maybe hole 18 if there's a big party). I like throwing a couple extra discs down hole #16 just to see them float forever, and I love throwing my 7speed/7 glide disc at hole 15 just to see it get carried in a tail wind. If you don't like the distance of this course, you can always play the Powell, or even the Woody DGC just a few miles east. Heck, there's a great bike shop/ disc golf store close to Woody as well. Warm up your arm and shoulders, this course is a workout!

Great Course When Mowed and Maintained

5+    7/22/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: Jefflogix
Pros: Mix of long holes and some wooded shots, although the longest holes are VERY long. Holes #14, 15, and 16 have elevation changes, using the Ampitheatre hill. Many of the holes require some strategic thinking, due to the openness of the course and the tendency to find a lot of wind, which can shift from different directions, depending on the day. Course markings have improved, since some of the negative reviews here. When it is mowed, I actually prefer this course to Jack Brooks. There are a few hazards, but you are generally not at risk of losing a disc if you play them "safe." Course is generally well marked, but it helps to print out the map from this site, if this is your first time.
Cons: The biggest negative for me is the tall grass and weeds (with barbs and thorns), and having to wade through them on long holes. The second negative is that after a big rain, there is not much good drainage, and so you have a lot of standing water and the tee boxes can get really muddy. It would be much better if this course had nice cement tee boxes, like at Jack Brooks, but this is only really an issue when it is muddy. There are some VERY long holes, so tackling this course can make for a longer than usual hike. Take that into consideration.
Other Thoughts: Just like it's sister course at Tom Bass - Powell, this course would be a great course (probably even better than Powell) IF it were regularly mowed and well maintained and had better drainage and better tee boxes. That said, this is generally the lesser maintained of the two. I generally choose Powell over Wilmont simply because it is so uncomfortable to have your legs eaten up by long weed (not really grass). At least Powell's long grass is generally some form of grass instead of the obnoxious weeds you generally have to walk through at Wilmont. Wilmont has the potential to be a very great course, and it is a blast to play it every once in a while, when it has been mowed.

The Perfect Spot for States...17 years ago.

2-4    3/20/2012   3/27/2012
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/29/2012
Pros: Besides the Power Nine at Spring Valley DGC, Tom Bass offers the best consistently long open shots in the area. The length comes in at almost 8000', so it's not for the faint of heart. However, the Wilmont still integrates a few shorter technical holes to open your round, and then ends with its strongest and most memorable holes from #14 through #18. I love the big elevated shot off of #16, however a windy day can major headaches on the hill.

The course is easy to follow, even without the good signage, there is ample parking, and the place is usually pretty desolate. Basically, unless you plan on visiting during States, you'll maybe see one or two other players during a round.

BEST HOLE/S: #14; #16
Cons: My personal con is unless you're a power player or pro - this course isn't really designed for you. I remember the first time playing here years ago remembering how frustrated I was that took three good shots and I still was looking at a long putt to save bogey. As I've improved, life isn't quite that bad now - but my point it, the feel of this course may not appeal to the majority of casual players.

The pads are natural and in average to below average shape depending on the weather. There's not much thinking involved besides grip it and rip it, and unless you're playing around the time of the Texas States Tournament - the grass is usually high and the course generally haphazard. Combine that with hot Texas summers and this shadeless course makes you feel like you're walking the African Savannah rather than enjoying a round of golf.

WORST HOLE/S: #5; #6
Other Thoughts: I personally think Wilmont is the better of the two courses with more memorable holes, slightly more diverse shot selection, and the overall grip and rip it feeling. Sure, Tom Bass has been eclipsed in recent years by better courses in the surrounding area, but if you can overlook the obvious negatives and like wide open power shots and - it doesn't get much better. Come right after states, and you'll find a well groomed course ready for a solid round.

However, having said that - I still can't figure out why Tom Bass should still be the host of Texas States. There are just so many better courses out there in Houston (Move it to Jacks Brooks and level the playing field a bit), let alone the state of Texas that have simply left Bass in their wake. I understand the distance factor, but if that's the main issue - go have yourself a tournament in a wheat field with baskets - there's not much difference. Bottom line, I like the Wilmont, but I just enjoy most other 18-hole Houston courses better.

Wilmonster

5+    9/27/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: scuddyp4
Pros: I was really surprised how much I liked this course. Especially after reading some of the reviews on here. There are so many things about this course that I love.
-This course has a good variety of holes.
-The first 3 are slightly wooded (not like Spring Valley or Jack Brooks wooded, but slightly wooded). Which is nice because the rest of the course is pretty open. I love that this course has long holes. I mean like 800' long. This is not something that we find too much of in the area.
-It's great for getting to know your distance drivers a little better. I have gained at least 75 feet on my drives in the last month alone.
-Even on the longer holes there are still a fair amount of trees to contend with, but there are plenty of ways to get to most most baskets.
-Rarely anyone there. I have played this course about 10 times over the past 3 weeks and have seen 3 DGers total. Even on the weekends (Saturday morning at 9:30 am) I didn't see anyone there.
-The holes on the amphitheater are really challenging. Especially 14. The basket for that sits on the side of a hill. Similar to # 8 at the bayou.
-Throwing off the top of the amphitheater on 16 is pretty awesome too. It's a 600' hole that drops about 40' in elevation in the first 75' of the hole.
-There are benches and trashcans in close proximity (some are about 50'-75' away) to all of the boxes.
-The restrooms at the pavilion by the parking lot are pretty nice.
-The course was pretty easy for me to navigate my first time out and I didn't have a map. You will probably have trouble seeing some of the baskets on the longer holes but I think most are visible without having to look too hard.
-Overall I think this course has a lot of pros.
Cons: -Tee boxes. They are natural but that's not really the issue. About half of them have really tall weeds growing around the post, so you may need to throw a little left or right of where the post is. This park is so huge I think they just rarely get weed-eaters in there. The tee area really isn't that bad as far as ruts go. I think this is because this course gets such little traffic.
-For some the lack of other DGers is a con. So I will add that in this section as well.
-Despite the fact that there are trashcans all over the place on this course, there was still a good bit of trash on the first 3 or 4 holes. One you get further into the course it's not a problem.
-No updated map on course. The map that is there is of the old layout I assume. It is not accurate for how the course plays now.
-No tee signs. Most holes will have the distance on the post, but signs usually add a little extra to the course. Overall not a huge deal.
Other Thoughts: I just started playing this course about a month and half ago and have to say that it is one of my new favorite courses in the Houston area. I hesitated playing this course for a very long time because of the negative reviews on here. Those reviews, however, are from a while back. If you haven't played this course before, I would suggest that you give it a shot. Beginners all the way up to advanced will enjoy this course. It's a great course to work on throwing longer. My overall distance has changed pretty dramatically since I started playing here. If you don't play it then I will continue to enjoy it and you will miss out on a great course. Hope to see you out there though!!!

Tom Bass Willmont

5+    7/30/2010   8/5/2010
Review By: whosnext
Pros: This course is very challenging. The layout is made for pros who can throw 450ft+. This course is not for begginers the reason no one plays this course it is simply too hard for them. It is an excellant course for an advanced player to test his skills. The first 4 holes are birdie holes. The first two play along side a creek, go left and lose your disc. Even though they are birdie holes they are not easy. holes 5 & 6 are long the trees get in your way so you cant just let it rip with out some control. Hole 7 pretty simple straight shot about 350ft. Hole 8 is my favorite. Plays through trees and the basket is about 5 feet away from a 20ft ledge down to the drink. It takes a 325ft shot that wont go left to give you about 100ft approach that if it goes left your wet. Hole 9 Long very hard three even for the pros. Hole 10 short righty birdie. 11 another long hole trees come into play to make it a very hard three. 12 & 13 not much too them. 14 very long very hard 1000ft with wetlands out of bounds on your left the whole way trees on your right makes a long hole very tough to pull off a four. 15 plays up on a hill 50 ft high to make a nice birdie hole difficult because of the elevation change. 16 plays off the top of the hill making the 600+ft hole very parable and nice to watch the disc fly off the top of the hill. 17 350ft with trees to go through 18 plays through thick woods but birdieable. During the 2002 worlds I asked Ken Climo what he thought of the course and he said the Willmont was the only challenging course here.
Cons: Not much shade, lots of bugs plays long. Not much wind block so on a windy day very hard course.
Other Thoughts: Very hard to shoot a 54 even if your a pro. Great place to work on your game. Lots of long approach and long shots that have to have enough control to negotiate the trees. If you have a cannon for an arm this course is for you!

< Prev 1 2 3