Houston, TX
Tom Bass Regional Park - Wilmont Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #8 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #8 Basket with dropoff ~5' behind

Perspectives from a beginner

1    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: feralpanda
Pros: Lots of open areas to practice big drives and throws (especially for a newbie like myself). Some up- and downhill shots which are pretty rare in the Houston area. Rarely busy, and unlike the Powell, most of the people on that side of the park that are BBQing are only at the very edge of the first hole, not in the middle and next to 4 different ones.
Cons: Some pretty long holes for a beginner. Gave me lots of practice at really winding up but a couple of holes were a little discouraging considering I call a 200ft drive phenomenal. LOTS of bugs (bring some DEET), few snakes but pretty reasonable considering how much water is usually standing in the area. I can agree with many past reviewers in that 1) the course map at the park is outdated and 2) the "flow" of the layout is not at all intuitive. Now that I've walked it once, however, I'm pretty sure it would come right back to me. Oh, and wear sunscreen...the length of time you'll be walking on the Wilmont coupled with the brutal Houston sun will equal a gnarly sunburn if you aren't careful!
Other Thoughts: Admittedly, I had avoided the Wilmont for almost a year based on others' reviews and lore on the internet about how long, hard, and boring it can be. Compared to the Powell, it IS pretty long and not quite as accommodating to the beginner...however, I had a blast on it and I got a lot of chances to try different discs and work on my power throws. I'm not sure I'll play the Wilmont/Powell courses 50/50 but when I'm throwing by myself it might be where I end up so that I can continue working on some of the finesse holes and complete lack of rush considering there are rarely people on this side of Tom Bass. Overall, I'm glad I finally played this course and I'd recommend trying it to anyone in the area if you're looking for a fun...but long game.

The Wilmonster

5+    7/22/2009   2/10/2010
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: You can throw just about any shot that you want to and probably get away with it due to it being open and longer then its brother. Its an OK course but thats about it. There is never anyone here which should probably tell you something about it. I think that too many people are bagging on this course like its the longest course in the world but its not that long, its just boring. There are a couple of good holes here but they are few and far between. This course will make your drives and your upshots better because you will use both on almost every hole here.
Cons: Once again this course is very flat and has even less shade then its brother making for even more of a misrable time. The pasture holes are extremely boring and very redundent. This course holds water as well.
Other Thoughts: The worst of the two but you can always play to check it off your list and then be done. I think that I am done with these two courses and will try many of the other courses in the area next time.

1    7/8/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: JAFFY
Pros: Some have complained about the length of the course but about half the holes are b/w 280-360'. It's nice to really unleash but there are enough scattered trees that you can't simply shoot and holler sheet. Really feels like you're playing 3 different courses. Holes, 1, 2, 3, 8, and 18 are all finesse holes. Holes 14, 15, 16 utilize the elevation change similar to Terramont in the Woodlands-with hole 17 going across a creek (albeit dry). The other holes remind me of a longer/less treed version of Moffitt.
Cons: Have to rehash what others say about the baskets not being marked/painted, etc. For the most part, holes 4-11 are in an open pasture with trees that make each hole look identical when you're panning the course trying to spot the basket. I had the map printed from the links/files but I often found myself just unleashing in the direction according to the map but would find myself in spots that I would have avoided if I knew exactly where the basket was. Definitely cost me strokes. The tall grass wasn't as bad as others have reviewed. Of course, this could be with the lack of rain or a recent mow. Only hole that I had issues with was around the basket of #7-b/w knee and waste high.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing. I had the map on links/files but it got a bit wrinkled in my bag. Don't play the course without it if you're a first timer. Also, note that #14's basket is on the left side of the hill of the theatre and #15's is the on top of the hill in plain sight. I got the two confused. The wind can pose some throwing problems but it really keeps the mosquitoes at bay. Mowing has caused some major ruts that could twist a few ankles. I really wanted to bump up the rating but soemthing needs to be done about baskets/signs/directions around the course beyond the map.

Looooooooooong course

2-4    3/20/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: ChrisMacG
This review was updated on 5/29/2009
Pros: A super long course that has a variety of challenging holes. For the most part the bordering creek doesn't threaten too many discs. Playing off the amphitheater hill is good fun too. It's the biggest hill in the area.
Cons: The biggest issue with this course is spotting the baskets. Every hole could be made better if someone were just to paint the poles a visible color.

In the fall and winter this course can be very wet, it just doesn't drain well so prepare for wet feet. The course will take you a long way from your car so pack enough to drink.
Other Thoughts: The park is heavily monitored by the police and they'll bust you for bringing beer on the course, or speeding on the roads or having expired tags.

Maybe not for beginners

5+    5/10/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: abdude
Pros: The Wilmonster is a long course, and gives novice and open players plenty of length to air out big shots. In addition, the course does have a technical aspect that requires plenty of shots including forehand, tomahawks, pancakes, rollers, and of course monster backhands. There is never any traffic on this course unless a tournament is being played, and even then, you don't have to wait long. This is my home course, I live 2 miles away, and I play at least 2 times a week, I never run in to crowds or knee deep grass like some of the other reviewers have mentioned on here. The highest the grass has ever been, and I play this course all the time, was up to my calves in some spots. The park maintenence does a fine job of mowing, and not disturbing the baskets etc. I have even seen them mow around the basket even lower to give it a true green feel to the hole.
Cons: Weak armed reviewers bashing a great course, and lying about it's upkeep. Don't you like to be challenged? If not, stay at your pitch and putt course. The only negative review that I will agree with is that the Wilmont does take time to drain after a lot of rain, but that is why god made aqua socks and waterproof boots!
Other Thoughts: I actually think this is a great course for every disc golf player, because you get such a variety of shots forced upon you, that you have to practice them to be successful here. I have been playing this beautiful game for 20 years, and would recommend the Wilmont to anyone looking to learn how to play, or to increase their abilities!

Wilmont

5+    2/21/2009   2/26/2009
Review By: lyleoross
Pros: The Wilmont is a deceptive course. Many players look at it and feel it is a bad course because of it's open nature. The Wilmont only feels open unless you have a decent throw (350 feet should be considered decent). Then it gets tight in a hurry. To score low on this course you have to plan drive to drive on the big holes. There are often multiple routes to take and matching your throws with those routes is key. Great utilization of the trees that are out there forces a game plan to account for what's there to work the lowest score. If your goal is simply to get through the course, you will be disappointed, if your goal is throw a good score, the course is well laid out to challenge your game.

The Wilmont has several very good holes including # 2, #8, the reworked #7 and #18 Holes #8 and #18 are comparable with some of the best holes in the country.
Cons: Wind damage and maintenance. It is unfortunate that a large number of key trees that serve to make this a unique and challenging course have been lost over the years with a large number going during Ike. More importantly, the parks department pays little heed to this course and it often goes unmowed. To further exacerbate the problem, when they do mow they are likely to clip and damage the baskets, tee signs and benches.
Other Thoughts: The Willy is undergoing a restructuring and clean up in preparation for Texas States 09. Those changes are improving some holes and will help with the overall use of the course.

Course has potential but falls flat

1    11/29/2008   12/29/2008
Review By: DaveMarkel
Pros: The course is challenging with a lot of long drives. The course offers wooded areas and little foot traffic in the field.
Cons: Difficult to find parking and the course needed some TLC. The grass was severely overgrown and it was difficult to find tees. If you are going you will definitely have to print out a map. Hole one has moved to an unknown location to make way for a cricket field. Holes are not laid out in a sequential manner.
Other Thoughts: While this course offers long drives it is in desperate need of some mowing and TLC. This course has the potential to be really great but the high grass and missing holes make this course a dud.

Pass me the binoculars

1    12/1/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: gsuslikesme
This review was updated on 12/20/2010
Pros: It has a few good holes. When you start out you are thinking "wow this is really fun, look how holes #1 - #3 are right here by these trees, this is a really nice course" But wait...what is this...#4?
Cons: "Which basket? oh ok, I see it. #5 what 500 feet in this cow pasture? Ugh, that is extremely long in this wind...ok, its just one hole. #6 555 ...really...555 feet...really?!? #7 and #8 ahh here we go back to normal fun disc golf. #9 785 FEET!!! are you kidding me? I'm ready to go home now... Hole #11, 711 feet #12, 600 feet #14, the most ridiculous hole in all of disc golf, the big maamahjamma, The sign by the tee box said "1035 feet", but I think it was more like 1/2 mile! Really Mr. Wilmont...are you really that guy that put put the 1000 foot hole on your course?!? Though #16 is a 600 foot hole, you get to throw from the top of a hill that is the back side of an amphitheater, that was kinda fun. And we finish up in the trees again on #18 and we walk around and act like nothing unusual ever happened...but it did.
Other Thoughts: Do you get the impression that this course is just a little long? If you have just recently begun playing disc golf, I implore you, do not play this course!!! You will hate the game, give it up, and go back to collecting comic books and stay fat. Please for the good of the game and your own unhealthy existence, don't do it man...

I am getting a lot of thumbs down...but that is ok it is just restless natives who looooove to play this course because they really like to throw their disc a very very long way over and over. I do however stand by my review. If you will look at other reviews on this course you will notice that the negative ones get thumbs down a lot. I wonder if there are a lot of native Wilmontonians that come on here???

Overgrown and not much else

1    11/16/2007   10/14/2008
Review By: Dude
This review was updated on 4/27/2009
Pros: I really can't think of any. I have a pretty big arm and I have no problem blasting some long throws...but to just throw long for the sake of throwing long gets boring after a hole or two.
Cons: After driving around in the huge park we located the large map. Had I known it would be so difficult to navigate the course I would have taken a picture of the sign because after hole 2 it was almost ridiculous. The first two holes were easy birdie runs through some trees covered in poison ivy. The next tee required some serious searching we managed to find a tiny marker that I'm guessing was the 3rd tee then we walked through some waist high weeds and found the basket after a few more minutes of searching. After that it got difficult. After the basket there was a pseudo-path to a spot that overlooked a field with thigh high weeds with no fewer than 5 visible baskets. We waited for the next group to catch up to point out the proper basket. So we played the next hole then that group left for the other course. We skipped the next few holes to go play the signature hole which was ok at best. Then there were another few holes that were no more than just huge throws across an overgrown field. By this time we were fed up so we played the ace run hole up the hill and then the lackluster downhill throw. Then we left.
Other Thoughts: I'm not saying it's terrible and maybe with some clearer course directions and a thorough mowing this might be fun for some advanced to pro players. But for any new players, even with a good mow, this course would be utterly brutal. And with the humidity and heat in Houston, this really wouldn't be much fun for even the most diehard player.

Update: This seems to be getting lots of thumbs downs. I guess I've offended the local course for a few people. I stand by the review though. The course was horribly overgrown, had unclear directions, was too open and just plain boring. There is just very little risk reward for shots here. I have the same issues with some of the holes at Old Settlers in Round Rock, though that is much better maintained.

Long and Overgrown

8/11/2002   6/5/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros: The Wilmont DGC is very long and wide open for the most part, with plenty of distance and few obstacles between each hole. The first few holes however, are shorter and more technical through a series of trees, and are easily birdieable. It is here you want to score under, for the rest of the course is much more difficult to par or even birdie. This course is great for practicing drives as well as getting to know how your discs operate in the air. It would be perfect for "big arm" throwers and pros alike.
Cons: This course was difficult to navigate due to the grass being overgrown (higher than my waist). Due to this alone, it was hard to find baskets, tee pads/ tee signs, and especially my discs. I had to have a spotter the entire time once I was out of the first few holes, and felt like for being a champion caliber DGC there should have been a lot more to it.
Other Thoughts: If this course was manicured properly, with tight fairways, clear routes to each tee pad, and perhaps flags on the baskets to show where they were located, the course would be much nicer to look at and play. The distance was somewhat of an issue considering I drive over 350 feet and yet still felt like I was getting nowhere. The course took a lot out me (although that is not necessarily a bad thing), and during the month of August requires a lot of drinking water considering there was little shade, plenty of bugs, and even some snakes. Be sure to wear sunscreen and maybe even bug repellent when playing this course and expect this course to take a few hours.