Leicester, MA
Pyramids Share
Uploaded By: HyzerBerryPie Hole #17 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #17 Silver Basket to Tee

Great date day!

2-4    7/28/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: tpelletier
This review was updated on 8/22/2009
Pros: 1) Amazing pro shop. Very helpful staff. My wife and I bought our first discs (we are very new to the sport and have only used rentals to this point) and the staff was very patient, answered all of our questions, and helped us pick out our first discs.
2) Great tee pads!
3) Very well groomed!
4) Tees and baskets are very easy to find.
5) Course makes great use of elevation and water.
6) Even though this course is 1.5 hours away for us, we had a great time and want to drive down to play again soon! Highly recommended!
7) Yes it is $5, but you get what you pay for. This place is well cared for.
Cons: Wish it was in New Hampshire and closer to where I live!
Other Thoughts: My wife and I had the day off from work and our two kids in daycare. This was only the third time either of us had ever played disc golf. We had a fantastic day and will make the 1.5 hour drive down to play here again!

Nice Course

2-4    6/4/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: Mergz
Pros: Nice variety of short, long, up/ down hill, open/ wooded. An great pro shop in the garage, with helpful & friendly staff. The water is casual and shallow. Nice tee pads. Friendly locals.
Other Thoughts: Ask before petting the dog, I was told he bites.

Perfect!

1    5/22/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: moe.jams89
Pros: Beautiful hard-wood forest course
Challenging but enjoyable
Excellent use of elevation
Cons: I was lost in the pines on hole 14 for awhile
Other Thoughts: Amazing course and the pro shop is the best around! Definitely worth a 1.5 hour trip

Nice course

1    5/10/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: shamroc333
Pros: It is a well groomed course. The guy who lives there definitly takes care of the grounds. There are afew holes that are fun.
Cons: You play though this guys yard and all around his house. 18 is a weird hole you have to throw right beside where you park your car.
Other Thoughts: There is a great disc shop there. i would just go for that. The course is just a bonus.

Pyramids

1    4/28/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: jaygibbs
Pros: Great wooded course with ample opportunity to wind up in trouble. Not a course for a beginner but I had a great time. I found it easy to navigate. I think I played it at the perfect time of year and the fact that there were record temps 96 degrees it was perfect! I don't have a big arm and tend to like the tighter more technical courses and Pyramids was right up my alley.

The guys in the shop were very cool and I played with a couple of local boys that were a riot. This is a definate MUST play if your in the area I will go back for sure!!

Thanks Jason!!!!
Cons: Hmmmmm......... It's awfull far from my house in Colorado?
Other Thoughts: Great people, great time, great course!

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

1    12/27/2006   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B-

The best course that is mostly all wooded shots

5+    8/1/2008   4/1/2009
Review By: frizgolfkiller
Pros: Two baskets for each hole (pro and am) both can be enjoyable and challenging since the course is set mostly in the woods. Unlike most wooded course I have played there are clear and wide fairways so you don't spend all day looking through brush for your discs. The pro basket that is hanging from the log over the stream is just cool. The course is really well maintained.
Cons: You have to pay $5 to play. 18 plays over the parking lot...I find myself always holding back here so I don't screw up an hit a car.
Other Thoughts: Even if you hate playing courses in the woods the number one reason to come here is for the store, Marshall Street Disc Golf. They have a ridiculous number of discs in all diff sizes,colors,plastics as well as bags and baskets. I picked up a portable basket for putting practice there. They'll probably be getting another good chunk of my money when I restock up for the spring.

great for a first timer

1    9/13/2008   3/1/2009
Review By: suzy q
This review was updated on 3/30/2009
Pros: 2 sets of baskets...great for all levels. shaded and woody, great for sunny days. great having the pro shop on property....nothing better than finishing a round and celebrating with a new disc!!!
Cons: really none i can think of!!!
Other Thoughts: very hilly, very wooded, but still fairley open and well maintained. great course for all seasons!!!

Gotta love it Grange North

5+    8/15/2008   2/3/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Private property courses are just inherently cool. Home to "Marshall Street" and Pyramids DGC, owner Jason Southwick is an invaluable asset to DG in Massachusetts.
The course occupies a mostly wooded plot of (I'm guessing) 20 something acres, and it's broken up into two main areas. One area is mostly flat and has one large stand of mature trees, and a large field peppered with christmas trees (that are pretty much too big to fit in anyones house). The other area is a steep/wide gully with a creek running down one edge - headed by a small pond. The flat area holds about 1/3 of the course, the woods holds about 2/3.
I like the variety and change in difficulty offered by the different tee/pin layouts. The long course plays significantly harder than the short course ( I think they are referred to as the Gold and Silver layouts). The woods are fun, as you get to play up down and across the gully (it's not a little gully - from hiltop to hilltop is probably 700') that's heavily wooded, but not really tight.
Cons: The nature of the topography makes the back and forth layout a tad redundant (holes 6-11?), which takes away from the overall quality of the course.
Other Thoughts: Camping is allowed on site (at least for big events in the past). The property owners are just fantastic.
As was mentioned elsewhere, there is a lighted DDC court which just plain rocks!
Small gravel parking lot seems adequate.
Pro shop on site is VERY well stocked with a wide variety of plastic and other DG goodies.
Lots of local events makes this course a local favorite.
I understand that Pyramids has suffered from ice storm damage this winter, so I'm sure the nature of the course has been altered a bit, but the overall quality/character I'm sure will remain unchanged.

The first time I played this course was in 30" of snow - and I went back the first chance I got. (If that says anything)

Hilly and Fun

2-4    4/28/2012   1/30/2009
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 5/3/2012
Pros: This is a course built by people who know disc golf and have been around the sport for a long time. You play up and down a wide, wooded ravine on the earlier holes and later through some Christmas trees and in some more open spaces. There are a lot of holes on the front 9 that had me laughing at how cool they were. The hanging basket on #4 is pretty unique (I've only seen a hanging basket on one other course, in Iowa). The wooden bridges crisscrossing the creek give the holes a lot of character. One of the holes has a basket on a very steep incline; if you go for it and miss, you could be putting from even farther away. The long hole (#13, I believe) has one of the longest, tightest fairways I've seen. The later holes are a bit less wooded but not easy. There are two baskets per hole. The silver course is pretty doable but has some challenging holes. The golds are tougher. Jason and the other guys who keep this up are really friendly and willing to share their thoughts. They were clearing tee pads of snow one of the first times I played. The signage is some of the best signage I've seen.
Cons: The course is pretty hilly, which is mostly a good thing, but the course probably isn't ideal for complete beginners or people not in decent shape. You do have to pay $6 for a round or $10 for the day to play to help cover their insurance costs, but that is hardly a con.
Other Thoughts: The Marshall Street pro shop is great. There were thousands of discs there, and the guys working there are happy to help you find the right one. This is a fun course on a nice piece of land. It probably doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

UPDATE:
Holes 17 and 18 have finally been changed! Hole 17 brings that old decrepit shed into play and is a narrow tunnel shot to start. You do have to cross the road for the gold basket on 18, but a) you're not playing along the road like the old days on 17, and b) no shots over the parking lot! I appreciate their work to address these.