1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Nice mix of long and short shots
Nice tee pads
Good use of the woods
Cons: Fairly open until hole 7 but other than that it is a nice course
Other Thoughts: This course had great flow and nice people that let me play through. I will definately be playing this course again
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: 1. Many Different Shot styles but good for both right and left handers
2. Great use of the land incorporated with the course.
3. Short tees= pretty decent scores. Long tees=levels the playing field a lot more for all players.
Cons: 1. Back side in swampy area= tends to be flooded quite often
Other Thoughts: First time I ever played this course I was very, very impressed with the overall quality of the course. There are some decently long holes, but the shorter ones are chirping at you or they're Ace-able.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
The New Quarry
Pros: The Quarry offers a nice variety of shots with some longer open holes as well as some tighter technical wooded holes. Many improvements and maintenance has been done to make this a worth while course to play. Offers pro tees as well as short tees depending on your preference. Not the same course as it was in the past.
Cons: Not really any extremely long holes and lacks cement pro tees at this point.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Challenging, Pro and rec. tees, lots of obstacles after number 7, great for finding discs, not to busy.
Cons: Garbage can pile up at tees be nice to have garbage cans OR PPL WHO TAKE HOME THEIR OWN GARBAGE !! Bugs are bad, Easy to lose disc, could use better maps.
Other Thoughts: Over all we have always enjoyed this course. defiantly a course for locals and hard core players.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: The back tees on the top side of this course make those holes very long. Going down into the woods is always pretty cool, wildlife, scenery, ect. I like this course a lot because I have played it with so many friends over the years.
Cons: They changed a couple pins recently to placements that I hate. Gets pretty muddy down in the woods. Mosquito heaven during the spring and summer. Some holes are pretty short. Not much grooming. Littering people that trash the course.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
8 Helpful / 0 Not
The Quaint, Quiet Quarry
Pros: 1. Variety. The wooded holes especially utilize as much of the land as possible, with an intimidating sharp downhill tunnel shot to begin the wooded holes, a good mix of righty/lefty/straight with nearly every tree and bush a potential shot-killer, and a few blind holes (especially if you play 9A and 9B). Even the more open holes on the front use some mandos to keep things interesting, and the wind can play with your shots on these short, flat holes.
2. Dual tees. The long tees are a bit lacking (rutted gravel pits), but I understand some new funds have been made available for improving various aspects of this course. The short tees are concrete and for the most part in decent shape.
3. Not too crowded. The big groups of kids and less-experienced players tend to flock to Vollrath Park, so it's usually pretty quiet and peaceful out here.
4. Nice baskets. There were some issues with a lot of basket theft out here (and I'm sure it'll still be a problem in the future), but the baskets seem to have been upgraded since the last time I played in early 2008.
5. Optional holes. You can play the 2 blind holes, 9A and 9B, for a 20-hole round. A spotter is recommended unless you're a local intimately familiar with the neck-high grass, multiple bushes, and tight fairways.
Cons: 1. Vandalism. I'm so sick of seeing the way Sheboygan people treat their courses...no, it's not everyone; in fact, a lot of the locals I've met and played with are very respectful of the courses, but there's such a high rate of theft, litter, vandalism, and general no-goodery that a travelling player passing through and playing could get very easily turned off. Some dumbass even scrawled "N*gger Basket" on the basket of 9A--Whatever that's supposed to mean, I don't know, but whoever did that is an idiot and should be stripped of all his/her plastic and banned from the game. I guess you'll see that kind of crap in any metropolitan area, as there's always worthless douchebags that think the stupid sh*t they do is funny.
2. Maintenance. The upkeep is mediocre from what I've seen. I don't expect the whole front grassy area to be mowed (I like the "defined fairway" look, even if the "rough" in these areas isn't much of a factor to errant shots), but the long tees definitely are lacking in upkeep (when and if concrete gets installed may impact my overall rating), and the slope/steps leading you down into the woods on #7 could be a little safer.
3. Short tee drop-offs. Some of the concrete tees have been extremely worn on the front edge, to the point where in places there is a 1" to 2" drop-off from the front edge...not too much of a safety issue, but having your toe slip off the edge on the moment of release can definitely affect your shot.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a really fun course with plenty of challenge. I suppose the ne'er-do-wells negate the maintenance, so I can understand if those responsible for the upkeep have gotten fed up with taking 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back. I personally would like to see a heavier police presence out here, and I'm no fan of cops in general, but somebody needs to scare off or teach a lesson to the douchebags showing such disdain for a sport that is such an integral part of the Sheboygan area.
8 of 8 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 4 Not
U could always Jump In
Pros: Holes go through heavy woods for nice challenging shots. Pro tees, and 2 extra holes.
Cons: First holes kind of open. Lots of bugs in summer. Not maintained very well.Most holes are short.
Other Thoughts: If ur not playing good and ur fed up u can always jump in the quarry!
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.