Kingwood, TX
River Grove DGC Share
Uploaded By: HoustonHyzer   (Taken 9/2014)

My love/hate relationship with trees

5+    9/12/2014   9/12/2014
Review By: HoustonHyzer
This review was updated on 9/15/2014
Pros: -Excellent, shady, practice basket area with nice picnic table, overlooking first tee pad.
-Concrete tees (although backwards), descriptive hole signage and high visibility painted top and bottom rims on Mach 5 baskets throughout.
-Pathways between holes are lined with native stones, or logs, and add a nice touch.
-Thick forest canopy offers plenty of shade from the summer sun, and even brief amounts of rain.
-Clean cut, aesthetic tunnel shots throughout some of the most beautiful forest scenery Houston has to offer.
-Array of challenging midrange, and fairway driver shots, with a few high hyzer bomb shots to avoid the heavily wooded fairway routes.
-Heavy sand content in the soil leads to extremely fast saturation and water runoff so the course is playable within 24hrs of even the biggest downpour.
-Abundant amount of deer, rabbits and other forest wildlife are evident throughout the course.
-Very low course volume. Maybe played by 5-10 people at most on any given weekday.
-Although non-beginner

Cons: -Kingwood KSA owned/operated park so a "K Sticker" is required to park within the course.
-First timers may have a hard time with the numerous semi blind tee shots, but..... the holes are fairly short so if you take the extra 15 seconds of effort to pre-walk the fairway before your throw, you should be fine.
-Shortage of garbage cans (Only two garbage cans on the course, holes 1, 8), no permanent benches, or rustic style signage to fit the forest theme..
-Grass and weeds can get pretty out of control by mid summer.
Other Thoughts: -The course has great potential for alternate pins which would add desirable length, but also still be appealing to the general recreation players.

Beautiful

1    5/2/2010   5/3/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Beautifully laid out course with high technical challenge and low power challenge, I'm rating this course for what it is, not what it's missing - I have a big arm and I love to rip it off the tee once in a while, I didn't get that here, but I still loved every minute of my time spent playing this beautiful wooded setting.

Technical Variety. Each hole was a new challenge that required me to use most of the discs in the bag (I could have left some of the big guns in the car), one throwing type wasn't favored over another, for myself, RHBH, I could work most of them with a straight accurate shot, a low sweeping/skipping hyzer, an occasional spike hyzer, and my anny was tested a few times, I'm sure I would have done better if I a decent overhead or forehand shot.

Location. Again, it was a beautiful course - still some signs of Ike, but for the most part it is cleaned up nicely, I loved the setting - I am a big fan of trees and can spend months in the woods, this was a perfect place to get into the woods and have a nice peaceful round of disc golf.

Tees. The tee pads were all nicely paved and level (though I think somebody put them in backwards, shouldn't they get narrower towards the front?) But they had ample room to tee off from.

Distance signs. Each hole had a cool looking stone sign to indicate hole number and distance to pin, a rough map of the hole would have been nice.

Low Traffic. There was a good flow of people playing this course, and we had a large group, so we had to let several people play through, but in all, it was flowing well and it wasn't really crowded.

Facilities. As it's in a city park, there are bathrooms at the beginning, a picnic shelter and I'm sure the park has other things to offer, but I didn't explore it very in depth.

Map and practice basket. The beginning of the course had a map, and there was a practice basket near hole one, these are always a bonus.
Cons: Not for beginners. Somebody just learning to throw would struggle through the trees, most of the holes take a very accurate shot to do very well on.

Trash. Some of the tee boxes had trash boxes that were full or over flowing, and if there wasn't a place to put the trash, several holes just had piles of garbage near the tee box, a touch more maintenance could help here.

Not much length. I'm not holding this against the course, because I really enjoyed the technical layout, but if you really like to grip and rip on wide open holes, you may not be very happy here.
Other Thoughts: Very enjoyable technical course in the deep woods, I'd love to have this one as my local course, I quite enjoyed my time there.