Kingwood, TX
River Grove DGC Share
Uploaded By: HoustonHyzer Hole #4 (Taken 9/2014)
Hole #4 Approach

My love/hate relationship with trees

5+    9/12/2014   9/12/2014
Review By: HoustonHyzer
This review was updated on 9/15/2014
Pros: -Excellent, shady, practice basket area with nice picnic table, overlooking first tee pad.
-Concrete tees (although backwards), descriptive hole signage and high visibility painted top and bottom rims on Mach 5 baskets throughout.
-Pathways between holes are lined with native stones, or logs, and add a nice touch.
-Thick forest canopy offers plenty of shade from the summer sun, and even brief amounts of rain.
-Clean cut, aesthetic tunnel shots throughout some of the most beautiful forest scenery Houston has to offer.
-Array of challenging midrange, and fairway driver shots, with a few high hyzer bomb shots to avoid the heavily wooded fairway routes.
-Heavy sand content in the soil leads to extremely fast saturation and water runoff so the course is playable within 24hrs of even the biggest downpour.
-Abundant amount of deer, rabbits and other forest wildlife are evident throughout the course.
-Very low course volume. Maybe played by 5-10 people at most on any given weekday.
-Although non-beginner

Cons: -Kingwood KSA owned/operated park so a "K Sticker" is required to park within the course.
-First timers may have a hard time with the numerous semi blind tee shots, but..... the holes are fairly short so if you take the extra 15 seconds of effort to pre-walk the fairway before your throw, you should be fine.
-Shortage of garbage cans (Only two garbage cans on the course, holes 1, 8), no permanent benches, or rustic style signage to fit the forest theme..
-Grass and weeds can get pretty out of control by mid summer.
Other Thoughts: -The course has great potential for alternate pins which would add desirable length, but also still be appealing to the general recreation players.

"Here in Kingwood, we've never met a tree we didn't like."

2-4    5/16/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: srm_520
Pros: River Grove DGC is the land of many trees. By far the most wooded course in the greater Houston area even with the recent drought and hurricane Ike before it doing their part to thin things out a bit. It's gone from insanely wooded, to just mostly wooded with even a few open looks at the basket. Also, if you're a fan of blind dog-leg holes, well then you're in luck - at least half the course plays this shot off the tee.

There is a practice basket located near #1, and there are nice big concrete tees - albeit they have been installed backwards from any other course I've ever played. They start narrow and finish wide, which isn't a pro or con - but just another weird little quirk of the course. The course is short at just over 4800', but the dense woods make up length by keeping everything tight. The pins also have a painted spoke pointing to the next tee box, which is always a nice little touch.

BEST HOLE/S: #11; #13
Cons: Take deep breath - here we go… Wooded? More like adventures into lucky shotville. Who designed this place - Bigfoot? Did I mention that every hole looks like this, where's the layout diversity? And what about the huge freaking predator spawned banana spiders that enjoy making their webs at head level - those are fun! And don't get me started on the fact that this place decided to install Mach 5 baskets to camouflage themselves from view from any given tee box. (Face gets redder) Well that's okay - I don't need to see where I'm throwing anyway - I'll just refer to the half broken stone and wood teebox signs lying on the ground or propped up against the beer laden over-flowing buckets posing as a makeshift trashcan. McDade copycat! And seriously, backwards boxes - that's worth another mention. And wait for it - did I forget to tell you that this place is "private?" That's right - I dare you to park your car in the parking lot for more than a millisecond without a giant K slapped to your bumper, and that tow truck will make your round experience a lot more expensive! I guess you'll just have to park yourself on the side of non-existent shoulder near #13 basket and you should be just hunky dory…. Ahh, okay, breathe again.
(Silly I know, but I hope it makes my point)

WORST HOLE/S: #7
Other Thoughts: I wanted to love this course, and since I haven't played it in years - I will admit I enjoyed it a great deal more than my first experience out here - hence why it took me so long to play it again. Ironically, a tight technical course is more my flavor as I experience more courses, but this is simply too much of an average thing. There's no daring or creatively to this place like my beloved Dalaiwood in Washington that puts these woods to shame, and there's just nothing memorable enough to bring me back again.

Plus, I have to ding it for the pompous ass bag Star-bellied Sneech acting Kingwood community members that devotedly protect their parking lot. I don't know why it bugs me so much more than Oak Meadows, the only other "private" public park in the greater Houston area - maybe it's the giant K stickers. However, given everything about the course itself, ultimately it's simply an average wooded course that no one really needs to go out of their way to play - but it's that's your thing, don't worry you'll get plenty of it here.

Great setup.

1    7/26/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: MRudo92
Pros: After you find the first tee this course is VERY easy to navigate. Nice cement tee boxes with plenty of room. Hole# and distance written on rocks next to tee box. Great short range and technical shots. Intermediate course. Very hard to lose a disc. Water did not come into play.
Cons: If you have a cooler make sure you got some big wheels or you'll be dragging pine needles the whole time. Not much need for drivers. Few scattered trash cans which are very small and overflow at times.
Other Thoughts: If you do not have a kingwood resident sticker you WILL be towed if you park inside parking lot. You can still play here, but you must park on the side of the road before gate entrance to park. I spoke with the tow dude and he said parking there is absolutely OK. He has no remorse for people who park in parking lot though. You've been warned!

Average Course

2-4    9/6/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: ROCthrower
Pros: Almost all of the holes are under 300' so it makes a good course for beginners or intermediates. Unfortunately most of the holes have way too many trees in the way to be fun. Its ok to have some narrow fairways but on most of the holes there is no direct path to the hole if you can even see the basket.

The course is well marked and has great tee boxes. The baskets are really high, one standing almost 5.5' tall.

It is fun to play with the nature all around you, saw a few deer and a coral snake while playing.
Cons: Unless you live near or in Kingwood, this course isn't worth the drive out to.
Other Thoughts: You don't need to take your whole bag for this course. All you need is a good mid-range and a putter and you're all set to go. If you have a good hyzer and fore-hand in your arsenal, you could par every hole. However not many holes would you birdie unless you got incredibly lucky.

Great, technical, short course

2-4    7/22/2010   7/28/2010
Review By: rbsold
Pros: great little 18 holes in the woods. Going to suit the conservative type player, as its high risk rewards. There are trees scattered all over the fairways, great for you mid-range lovers. used every mid and putter I had, very little use for my drivers on this one. but you will have to pull out every shot you got. I like the feeling of the course as there are no signs of city life anywhere.

Also, this course has some of the biggest and nicest teepads as anywhere else I've played. signs were decent with the distance to the hole displayed on a rock. Nice practice basket in the front and a huge map of the entrie course. Also the baskets are in great shape. Traffic is pretty good, seems like more kids than anything play here.

Cons: I kind of wish the holes we're longer, I don't think there is a hole longer than 325. Dont ever get to pull my drivers out except for hole 6, and even then, it's really not needed. baskets can be hard to find, if its your first time here, there will be a few times you have to leave the teepad and go scope out where the basket is. Worst thing I've noticed about this course are the mosquitoes. They are unreal, especially after it rains. BRING OFF!!! Also after normal rain, standing water will remain for atleast a week.
Other Thoughts: Nice course, There are deffinitely better courses on the north side of houston, but if your in the area stop by a check this one out, its a quick 18. Will deffinitely improve your approaches and up shots. Beginners might want to bring a chainsaw =)

Beautiful

1    5/2/2010   5/3/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Beautifully laid out course with high technical challenge and low power challenge, I'm rating this course for what it is, not what it's missing - I have a big arm and I love to rip it off the tee once in a while, I didn't get that here, but I still loved every minute of my time spent playing this beautiful wooded setting.

Technical Variety. Each hole was a new challenge that required me to use most of the discs in the bag (I could have left some of the big guns in the car), one throwing type wasn't favored over another, for myself, RHBH, I could work most of them with a straight accurate shot, a low sweeping/skipping hyzer, an occasional spike hyzer, and my anny was tested a few times, I'm sure I would have done better if I a decent overhead or forehand shot.

Location. Again, it was a beautiful course - still some signs of Ike, but for the most part it is cleaned up nicely, I loved the setting - I am a big fan of trees and can spend months in the woods, this was a perfect place to get into the woods and have a nice peaceful round of disc golf.

Tees. The tee pads were all nicely paved and level (though I think somebody put them in backwards, shouldn't they get narrower towards the front?) But they had ample room to tee off from.

Distance signs. Each hole had a cool looking stone sign to indicate hole number and distance to pin, a rough map of the hole would have been nice.

Low Traffic. There was a good flow of people playing this course, and we had a large group, so we had to let several people play through, but in all, it was flowing well and it wasn't really crowded.

Facilities. As it's in a city park, there are bathrooms at the beginning, a picnic shelter and I'm sure the park has other things to offer, but I didn't explore it very in depth.

Map and practice basket. The beginning of the course had a map, and there was a practice basket near hole one, these are always a bonus.
Cons: Not for beginners. Somebody just learning to throw would struggle through the trees, most of the holes take a very accurate shot to do very well on.

Trash. Some of the tee boxes had trash boxes that were full or over flowing, and if there wasn't a place to put the trash, several holes just had piles of garbage near the tee box, a touch more maintenance could help here.

Not much length. I'm not holding this against the course, because I really enjoyed the technical layout, but if you really like to grip and rip on wide open holes, you may not be very happy here.
Other Thoughts: Very enjoyable technical course in the deep woods, I'd love to have this one as my local course, I quite enjoyed my time there.

5+    4/28/2010   4/29/2010
Review By: TWO CROWS
This review was updated on 11/17/2010
Pros: This is a nice wooded course with lots of accuracy required to score well. There are concrete tee's troughout and all baskets are in good shape. The course layout is easy to follow and starts and ends next to the parking lot.
Cons: There are still quite a few trees laying around from storm damage. The lines here are tough to hit and take some time to figure out. This is also a good thing as it keeps you comming back to hit that perfect shot. This course is not very noob friendly. Every fairway is lined with thick brush and trees and a bad hit will see you throwing from some thick stuff.
Other Thoughts: Come check this place out soon the parks department are changing the rules on 1/1/11 and you will be required to have a parking sticker to park in the lot.

Wooded Beauty

1    12/14/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Nice wooded course with clean fairways and huge tee pads. Good signs and easy to navigate. Good variety of shots needed to score well. Accuracy over power here, but there is a couple longer holes that allow for some power IF you are good enough to keep it in the fairway. Tough course in places, but not so tough as to be unreasonable. Not much of a chance to lose your discs.
Cons: Not pretty in the rain. I played in the rain after weeks of rain. It was a swamp. Not the course's fault, but there are some areas that lie low, and collect water. Not sure if the listed distances on the signs are really accurate. They seem wrong to me, but then again I have no arm so maybe it was mental. The hurricane blew through some fairways so there is some old debris clogging it up a little.
Other Thoughts: I play a lot of tight, wooded courses in NC so I think I have a good feel for this kind of course. With a little bit of work I think this could be a great course. Fill in the low spots and clean up some of the old hurricane damage and it will be a great little course. Really nice coastal woods and shule. Looked cool in the rain so I would think it would be real scenic on a hot summer day. If you're in the area be sure to play this course.

Love this course

5+    11/6/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: robcoolj
Pros: This is a fun course that is very technically challenging. For those people who enjoy trying to shape their shots and don't mind the frustration of hitting trees this is a must play course. This was actually my very first course to play (as some has suggested - not a good idea) and although I was initially pretty frustrated - it kept drawing me back. They've now made a number of improvements to the course - especially on Number 5 which is now very playable.
Cons: This is certainly not a course for beginners as many have mentioned. I still consider myself to be a novice and it can be very frustrating at times. There are also lots of bugs - mosquitos and spiders (and contrary to other reviews - they are Golden Silk spiders (harmless) - not Banana spiders. They are huge though so you will eat a lot of webs. Just remember to swing your disc up and down when going between the trees and you'll be fine. Lots of standing water after rains as well.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course close to 25 times now and it just keeps getting better and better. I've also played McGregor and Tom Bass (the championship course) and I'll take this one over those anyday. Way more fun trying to truly plan your approach to the baskets. Give it a try really and just try and stay patient. You will hit trees but there are rewards to those who can control their shots. Par feels so good!!!

Kinbgwood Tightness

5+    6/9/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Sambo
Pros: This course will Humble you quickly....A great challenge for any player. There is a lot of shade with nice big conrete tee pads, even if they are in backwords. If you are looking for a tight course, this is it. This course makes Spring Valley look wide open.
Cons: The maintance on the course is pretty poor. There are still trees down in a lot of places from IKE.
Other Thoughts: I would have like to see more choices for shot selection with risk/reward shots. Every one I have played with out there always thows the same shots at the same holes.

Again, this course will Humble you quickly, you aren't going to go out and shoot 6 down like you can on other courses.