Petoskey, MI
River Road Sports Complex Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

an exercise in mediocrity

1    5/20/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a river valley and many swampy areas in a large multi-use park. They must have found the lowest area in the city to build this course... It was crazy mucky and wet when I played in mid-may.

Baskets-- all there and in decent shape. Really could have used Orange necks to help increase visibility as there are some blind shots.

Tees-- Long tees are all concrete. some of the shorts are concrete as well but not all of them yet. Tees looked pretty new, maybe late last year or this year.

Teesignage-- excellent-- accurately shows the hole design and footage.

Challenge-- the crazy rough here is the main risk v reward here. The swampy areas aren't really that gnarly but the rough is awful. The bear river on the last few holes is a pretty backdrop but doesn't really come into play.

Routing and nav-- not bad at all. Well worn trails aide in finding the next tee.

Cons:
Underwhelming-- seems a lot of holes were repeats of previous holes. Didn't have a lot of variety, most holes were straightforward. Some were blind which was truly welcome.

wet wet wet-- they must have used the lowest possible land for this course. I'm sure it holds water way more than it should.

Wind and other uncontrollables-- it was crazy windy here and the bugs, I'm sure, can be crazy bad.

I played six courses this day. I just wasn't overly impressed with this course. I'm sure it's a local favorite as it's not crazy challenging. Go play blissfest!!

I finally played it!

1    5/17/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: nickrockey
Pros: 24 holes! Tons of vegetation! Really would have been best to have played with someone else to help spot, or someone who played here before. That being said, I had to scope out a lot first but still managed to bogie most holes. Pretty flat with no elevation changes but made up for by pretty good layouts. Maps at all (I think) tees so just pay attention. Big arms will like it here! I played with just alittle wind and was ok. I recommend a bright disk and don't take your eyes off it! Great course to walk and just have a good day! Who ever takes care of this does a great job, very well maintained! This place covers a lot of ground so there are some pretty long drives. Lots of places to sit and rest along with trash barrels. The dual tee pads were cool in that, they were not just one in front on the other, but often with a different line altogether which made it tempting to throw from both! The trees, huge shrubs and bushes and waterways made you really think before you throw.
Cons: Tee pads are pretty bad, but they are working on that!
Bugs! bring spray, watch for ticks
Sort of hard to navigate the first time due to lack of signage. High risk of disc loss!
Was abit muddy so don't wear your designer kicks! ha!
Other Thoughts: Not a beginner course, really more of a planned play course, watch your disk. Most were blind throws which adds to the fun! I do recommend this course for sure!

Lost & Found

1    7/24/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: DUrich
Pros: The trees and bushes really make this course a challenge....and you get to really huck it....but beware - the name of the game here is to be able to manage the course well. Go into the trees or bushes and you can add a stroke or two. Well maintained...bid kudos to the folks mowing, weed wacking and maintaining this sweet layout.
Cons: Needs more concrete tee boxes. I've played plenty a natural tee pad and what is offered is sufficient enough....long term, fulfill the dream by putting this course on the map. Blind shots could be a negative, but the more you play it the more you know....definitely an advantage playing with a local your first time out.
Other Thoughts: If you build it they will come....find the funds....put up donation boxes and have someone collect so that this sweet venue can afford better tee boxes. Throw bright colors, unless you are smart and play safe....which will be my mantra next time.

Nice course

1    2/4/2012   2/5/2012
Review By: ToneRay
Pros: - Great kept course
- Interesting and challenging
- Beautiful Bear River views
Cons: - Played in winter, so vegetation not a factor, as I could see through it and move through it to get to wayward disc. This could really be an issue during summer though.
- Would be hard to locate some tees (and baskets for that matter) with vegetation in bloom. Strange course layout, but print the online map and you'll be OK.
Other Thoughts: The folks that maintain this course do a super job.
Anyone who didn't play this course Feb 4, 2012 missed an awesome northern Michigan day of excellent disc golf. Tees were cleaned of snow, and enough playing pressure to make good paths for walking and locating next tees.
About 4-5 inches of snow, and no problem with lost discs on this ideal day.
Keep up the great work at the River Road Sports Complex !

2-4    7/15/2009   3/8/2011
Review By: cfifield21
Pros: Great place to practice distance drives.
Course is well taken care of.
Presents many different challenges that make the game more fun mostly woods and fields.
The set up is well designed, however the baskets are slightly hidden.
Not very busy
Cons: A lot of bushes, I would recommend a bright colored disc like Blue, Pink, Red, nothing Green or Yellow, at least in Spring or Summer. I lost my Valkyrie here! :(
Other Thoughts: Not really a beginner course, however some holes make for a perfect place to practice distance and putting.

My Current Local

5+    4/13/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: deBebbler
This review was updated on 3/30/2012
Pros: With full foliage, there are only two baskets on the course that you can see standing on the Pro tee. The land is an arborphile's dream, with myriad types of trees covering the area, coupled with brush in all shapes, sizes and densities.

Great distances abound. Five holes are > 400', including one that is 550', with only two holes < 200'. However, Long Arms take warning: This course has some of the most unforgiving rough you will encounter. If you cannot accurately place your shot, be sure to have a spotter, or be ready to do some serious disc searching.

This course is in the Bear River valley. The course flows with the river in several spots, with some of the feeder streams used within the holes. The valley can funnel some seriously strong and squirrelly winds. Abundant wildlife (deer, snake, rabbit, monster snapping turtle) can also be seen.

Fantastic modularity. It is easy to stop after 18, 20 or 24 holes, and you can cut out holes #17-19, 9 & 10, 12 & 13, or 4-15 entirely. If you have limited time, the layout allows for many custom permutations. Very much an "on the links" feel.

Course flow equally challenges Righties and Lefties alike, with lots of benches, garbage cans and picnic tables throughout. The city maintains the grounds, so fairways are regularly mowed and wonderfully maintained.

24 Holes, most with dual tees. Instead of just reducing distance, Amateur tees give measurably different looks (or I should say, different non-looks) at the basket, as well as requiring less skill.

Dog friendly and groomed for winter play, too.
Cons: River valleys are often swampy, and this one is no different. Springtime can be unpleasant with holes #3, 8, 15, 17, & 21 especially soggy and full of mud.

No elevation changes, and I mean it. Holes #4, 15 & 16 are (kind of) in an undulating area, but not anything that seriously affects your throw. A good roller technique can serve you well here.

Lack of uniform tees. Amateur tees are dirt, and awful. There are many concrete tees for the Pros, but some are still dirt. It is rather embarrassing, as the rest of the course is so well designed and in great repair.

The first and last few holes share real estate with soccer and softball fields, sometimes necessitating using the Am tees if the fields are in use.

Missing signage on a hole or two, but the next tee signs are great.
Other Thoughts: This is my current local. I am a definitely a DGer of the Ski Hill variety. The first few years I played this course, I really, really hated it because it was so flat. I would drive to play a neighboring hilly course all the time. River Road has earned my grudging respect, as it always serves up a significant dose of challenge, and if I can keep my temper in line, a whole lot of fun as well. Not once have I finished under par from the Pro tees in Singles play.

Signature Hole Candidates:
#4 - 549' with heavy winds and a bunch of varied vegetation
#12 - 446' over a creek, tons of rough and the main river bend right by the basket (my favorite)
#23 - 375' with a huge stand of trees 200' out and soccer field OB the length of the right

Since finding DGCR and traveling to play every course I can get my boots on, I have come to realize how good I have had it while I've been here. Of the courses I have compared to RRSC, many of them have been found wanting. Only seven cement Pro tees are needed for this course to be 4.5.

Stop by Tom & Dicks Grocery for some new Discraft/MVP plastic for the round.

Disc Golf At Its Finest

1    7/12/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: Ben17
Pros: -The course was laid out very nicely
-At the very beginning they have a map that shows where every thing is located
-They have pro and amateur tees
-Every hole has a sticker on it to show what hole the pin goes to
-The sign at the tee is very nice showing exactly where the pin is located, what the par is, what is out of bounds, and the trees in the middle
-The pad that you throw from is nice and easy to throw from
-Every hole is different (some are long while others are short, and some you need to be accurate while others you really dont)
-It is located in a very nice and well kept park
-It is always easy to find the next hole when you finish another hole
Cons: -The water comes into play on some of the back holes
-The park really doesn't get much use
-There is some parts with really long grass that is never cut and you can lose your disc in there pretty easily
-The sign at the tee will be placed backwords sometimes and it is hard to tell which pin to go for
Other Thoughts: I came here in the morning and nobody was here when i came and nobody was here when i left. I was very surprised because it is a very nice park. Hopefully it will get more use sometime soon because if not the it is just a waste because of how nice the whole park is.

Difficult

1    4/16/2010   4/16/2010
Review By: fleeulrich
Pros: This course was very clean, and had many trash cans throughout the course. Having 24 holes is most definitely a plus. Many veriety of holes, with many chances to really let it rip. I really like hole 17, which presents a good opertunity for an ace. Every hole had a very detailed sign with hole layout, par, and distance on them. All but I think one hole had an alternate pad to shoot from.
Cons: I really thought that some of these holes should have been more than a par 3, but thats okay just makes it more challenging. When we got to hole 12, 13, 14 was the only time we ever got a little confused as to where the next hole was or where we had to shoot to. Not every hole had a real pad, but the ones that did had a nice long concrete pad.
Other Thoughts: DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE WHEN IT IS WINDY.!!!! We played on a real windy day, and it resulted in my worst score ever. I highly recomend shooting this course when every you have a chance.

River Road

1    10/9/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: tccrapsdealer
Pros: I played this course on my birthday last week. Very little traffic. Many wide open holes that allow you to grip and rip. Many tight holes that make you throw at a blind goal. Very good mix.
Cons: Navigation was a little tricky at times. I think I might have skipped a hole or two near the back because of poor markers. NO elevation changes. I normally carry a walking stick and it was totally unneeded here.

Nice course, accuracy required!

1    9/3/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: aartdouglass
Pros: My wife and I played this course on our way home from Mackinaw City (we live in Kalamazoo, MI). I'm very glad we went out of our way to find it! The course had a lot of variety, although not in elevation, with some holes playing what seemed like over 400 or 500 feet. Each hole had map of the pin and tee locations, distances to the pin, and directions to the next hole.
Cons: The rough here can be pretty nasty, so play it safe or bring a spotter. Also, the ground was pretty moist in a lot of areas, and today was a pretty clear, dry day, so I'd imagine that the course can get pretty swampy during wet periods.
Other Thoughts: There are some blind drives on narrow fairways, so bringing a spotter is recommended. The ninth hole doesn't end up near the parking lot, so plan on playing all 18 (or 24) or walking quite a ways back.