Petoskey, MI
River Road Sports Complex Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #23 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #23 view from the fairway

1 2 Next >
Had a good time

1    12/5/2008   12/17/2008
Review By: donnyv
This review was updated on 1/30/2013
Pros: I've only been able to play here once in 2009 (in 2'+ feet of snow) but I will always remember how much fun we had. I'm not sure how much it has changed/improved but I can assure you it was worth the drive.

Pros:

1. Large and Diverse Course ~ This course has it all. Some woods, fields, thick brush, a little bit of water, nice flowing fairways. Add them all up and this place has everything you look for in a quality course. The park is pretty big and we had it all to ourselves. The only thing that it lacked was major elevation changes which was not a big deal.

2. Places to Relax/Rest ~ Picnic tables and garbage cans were available and in working order. No port-a-johns in sight during the winter-period but not an issue this time.

3. Well Maintained ~ The baskets looked nice and caught well. Park looked like it was cared for. Nice enough to bring the family.

4. Dual Teepads Available. Even though it wasn't shoveled, it was nice to throw from the pro tees.

5. IT IS FREE TO PLAY. Can't say that to the similar nice courses in SE MI.
Cons: There is nothing really to complain about coursewise and the only problem we had has already been fixed.

Cons:

1. Limited Signage/Scorecard with map ~ Other than the MB with the map at the beginning, us first-timers became lost after only a few holes With so much space/land dedicated to the disc golf course, it was easy to get confused on the next tee's direction. It didn't help our cause with all the deep snow on the ground but at the time we played, some of the tee signs were missing. It might have been fixed by now but, just in case, take a picture of the map near hole #1 if it's your first time playing here.
Other Thoughts: I'd like to play here in better weather so I can give this place a higher grade. It's a real nice place and it was a lot of fun.

From the looks of the updated photo's, this place will probably rate a 4.5 these days.

2-4    6/13/2008   11/13/2008
Review By: NEWBY1151
Pros: I thought this was the better of the three courses in the area and is the only one I played more than once,good layout and variety of holes will provide a challenge for all players,fairly easy to navigate with some signs,distance markers in fairways were nice and a first for me,well maintained with mowed fairways,24 holes,clean course,
Cons: This course has no elevation changes,several of the Am tees were loose dirt and gravel making it easy to loose balance,thick rough off fairway and several blind holes suggest bringing a spotter,
Other Thoughts: I had a lot of fun here I would definitely recommend checking this course out,the whole park is flat so adding elevation would be hard but with cement tees and better signs I would give this course a 4,

Brutal Vegetation

5+    9/6/2008   9/10/2008
Review By: taxman
This review was updated on 12/1/2008
Pros: the course is fairly well laid out with almost every type of hole represented. there is a river that runs along the course but there are really only two holes where risk of disc loss would be a worry. although the signs at each tee box have been vandalized the course layout is fairly easy to follow. as long as you can stay on the fairways you will have a wonderful time. tee boxes vary from nice cement pads, suitable rubber mats, to poor gravel (watch your footing). i do like this course but you need to pay attention to your throws or you will spend a lot of time searching for discs.
Cons: as mentioned before the signs indicating the throw path and distance from tee box to basket have been vandalized. many of the red tee boxes are still loose gravel so if you throw from the amateur tees watch your footing.

the worst part of this course is the vegetation. once your off the fairway you are in very thick brush. VERY thick brush.

in most instances you have plenty of fairway to work with. but a bad shot here is hard to recover from.
Other Thoughts: this is a local course for me so i play it very regularly. other than the overly cruel vegetation it is a fun course. lots of opportunities for any type of throw.

there are soccer feilds and a small boat launch on site. plenty of parking and port-a-johns.

Edit: i just learned that this course is groomed for winter play, that's a bonus for you winter players.

Bring Friends

5+    9/19/2009   7/21/2008
Review By: Merkaba311
This review was updated on 10/1/2009
Pros: The more I play this course the more I love it.

Challenging yet fair to those whom have gained a knowledge of the ins and outs of the course.

Fantastic signs around the tees. Pro and Am tees for each hole.

Players on this course are all very friendly and are always willing to add more to their group.

This course is very well maintained and I personally know the workers who do such a great job of making sure everyone enjoys themselves on the course. They give it their all.

90% of the time when I play I never see another disc golfer which gives time for those needed "bench breaks."
Cons: If you throw into the rough you're going to come out looking like ground beef. I used to see this as the biggest con on this course but I've recently come to realize that it teaches you to be more accurate. The rough sucks when you suck.

Don't play in the wind. When Petoskey has winds of 15 mph, River Road sees winds of 30ish mph. Not only is the wind harsh but if you throw above the level of the rough, the wind drastically picks up and leaves you at the tee with your mouth wide open going "...WTF?!"

Not enough winter players to pack down the snow to make the course fun during winter months.
Other Thoughts: This course has made me a better disc golfer and there is no course I'd rather play in northern Michigan.

Course knowledge is key. If you've never played bring a spotter or two. I've lost so many discs at this course learning how to disc golf that it's disgusting. If you don't have absolute and pure control over your drives, play with a spotter.

The most fun way to play this course is with "league tees." Play pro tees where they are cement, and play am tees where they're dirt. The only exception is hole 21 where there are two cement tees...and you play the long one there. You get such a good mix of long and short holes that it makes me wish every course was laid out this way.

I have to give credit to Pluister and The Wild Man for such a genius design with such limited landscape.

grasslands

8/25/2006   4/15/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: Challenging course. Tees and baskets well marked, as well as yardage markers in the fairways.
Cons: after the first hole, the grass grows high around narrow mowed fairways. finding errant discs becomes a chore, be sure to use 'spotters', especially on blind holes.
Other Thoughts: To be completely fair, we only played the front 9 on this course, late in the day after playing two other courses, in our first year of disc golfing. We got frustrated spending most of our time searching for discs in the grass and gave up as the sun was setting. We probably need to come up and give it another test drive.

River Road Rocks!

10/15/2007   12/12/2007
Review By: SidearmKingofNMich
Pros: River Road is my home course, and was created by my father. From March to November, this course is Beautifully Brutal. The Shrubbery grows on average of 3 ft. taller and 1 ft. wider than it already is, between the months of April and August. This course is designed around a Cross-country trail, which makes the layout, very easy to follow and the course is Very enjoyable.
Cons: River Road doesn't have any elevation changes, whatsoever. Most of the Red tees(Am) are just dirt holes, from Lots of local play.
Other Thoughts: River Road will be getting an upgrade in the Spring. With the completion of concrete on the Pro tees, this course will look even more amazing than it already does. We would love to see more out-of-town players come and try our Wonderful course. Go River Road!

1 2 Next >