Boyne City, MI
Basket on the 18th with a beautiful view of Lake Charlevoix

Tale of Two Nines

2-4    8/3/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: fastrodger
Pros: Front nine or actually front 8 is fun and challenging. You get to use all the discs in your bag except the big drivers. Back nine is a good workout as you play your way up the hiking trail to a glorious view of the lake.
Cons: Tee pads are gravel and loose dirt, tough to get good drives. Back nine tees are missing hole information and in some cases are hard to find. Back nine holes are all along the trail up the hill but the basket placements makes for some variety.
Other Thoughts: Backwoods disc golf at it's finest or worse? Worth playing if you are in the area like we were on vacation or if you need a break from the intense mountain bike trails. You can get the great view of the bay by climbing the stairs.

A long hike

1    5/18/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: Kent18
Pros: Challenging holes. Beautiful area and fun little town. Baskets are in good shape. Some holes are just excellent numbers 4,7 and 17 to name a few.
Cons: Missing basket on hole 3, and on the back nine its literally a hike to each subsequent hole. Some of the holes in the forrest feel like the course designer got lazy and threw a tee pad here and 150 feet down the hiking trail threw a basket there. With some time and I guess some money this course has so much potential.
Other Thoughts: Some great holes if you can take the hike it takes to play them. Avalanche park on the whole leaves me wanting more after working so hard.

What can we do with a Hiking trail?

1    7/20/2008   7/31/2009
Review By: rlbontrager
Pros: I tend to play the same 3-4 courses all the time, so something a little different is always a plus. This course was a little different. There are some very nice and fun holes that are easy to visualize the perfect shot for, but difficult to actualize. I like those kind of holes because they give you a lot of satisfaction when you pull it off.

Cons: The "park" has a couple small fields at the bottom of a huge hill ("mountain") and the main attraction of the park is its hiking/biking trails that make a giant circle up and back down. The course seems like it was added as an after thought and simply follows these paths for almost all of the course.

It would seem then, that you could just follow the paths and find the next hole most of the time, and most of the time this is true, but there are a few holes that randomly veer off the path with out being marked. Other places you will continue to follow the path for 10 minutes of hiking wondering if you've missed the next hole (you didn't).
Other Thoughts: Having played it last year, I would like to play it again, having a better idea of the lay out, but my friends keep rejecting the idea.

It is quite a hike, but I didn't think it was much, if any, more than Hickory Hill's in TC where I regular.

Interesting...

1    7/23/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: kingfresh7
Pros: Some pretty impressive views, especially 18 where you overlook Lake Charlevoix. A technical course; takes a variety of shot types to complete and features some holes that are very fun because of their challenge and originality.
Cons: The course can get confusing; irregular distances between holes, hard to find tees, missing signs and the lack of a third hole. Many blind shots that are made truly blind by missing tee signs. Pin placements are challenging but odd. Not a course for a first time player.

Beautiful. Challenging. Haphazard?

1    7/24/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: rbrown87
Pros: Very picturesque course. More challenging and technical than courses I typically play in the GR area (Riverside, Brewer, etc.).

Navigating the woods is both infuriating and satisfying when you choose/execute the right throw.

Not crowded, except a couple joggers.
Cons: Not sure whether the pin placement was out of my league, or if they just weren't trying very hard.

I was surprised we didn't tee off down/up more of the hills.

Inconsistent and confusing length/direction between holes.

Dirt tee pads pretty well eroded.

Overall, course design falls short of great potential.
Other Thoughts: Most of your first throws will be blind. Generally, a fun challenge, except most of the signs on the back nine are gone, so you're blind in the strictest sense.

Quite a hike. I enjoyed the walk, felt like a work out, but I imagine this could be a detterent to some.

Would've really liked to play again. I think I would've enjoyed it more the second time, knowing what to expect.

A fatal flaw

5/1/2006   5/16/2008
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: The one highlight hole truly is spectacular. It offers a view that you'd be hard pressed to match just about anywhere - a spectacular vista of Lake Charlevoix.

Beyond that, there's some good variety and a couple of interesting holes, but...
Cons: The one time I played this course, my partner and I got lost multiple times. The markings are so poor we literally had no idea where the next hole was - several times.

When we finished, we actually felt like we were lost in some deep woods. We managed to find a road, and after following it for a long, long time, we stumbled onto the parking lot again.

Other Thoughts: If you have a cell phone with a camera, take a picture of the course map - it's posted near the parking lot. You're going to need it.