Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #8 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #8 Basket (original layout)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Charlotte's Web

1    6/6/2014   6/7/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
Pros: Almost everything you could want in a course to seriously challenge you. A fair balance of semi-open holes as well as wooded and a few tightly wooded holes. Long, very long and a few short holes make up this diverse layout.
Cons: The map layout for the Web suggested that #16's basket was not the Nest layout's #17 basket. We ended up playing it as though it were. Is it missing? Don't know, maybe not.
Other Thoughts: Thoroughly enjoyed my first ever time playing this layout. Don't let it scare you, you'll love the challenge--just not your score...unless, of course, you are Michael Johannsen, et al.

Great Course

1    5/13/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: thedogatesoup
Pros: Loved everything about this course. It's challenging (and to be honest I didn't do that great on it) but everything felt balanced and fair. It's a nice big course with lots to see and a good variety of holes. I never felt in too much danger of losing discs either. Just a really solid course all the way through.
Cons: A buddy of mine almost lost a disc in the pond, so be careful when throwing near there, but that kind of goes without saying. haha. The only other thing I would note is that around hole 9 or 10 it gets a little hard to find the next hole for some reason. It's not impossible or anything, just a little frustrating.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend this place. Great all the way through.

1    12/18/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The setting is a scenic park, featuring a nice pond with ducks and a bridge (the pond isn't really in play), open areas, and woods. The first part of the course plays in the fairly open areas, and distance is more important than hitting a very specific line, although trees do come into play. Hole 2 is nestled among some very tall fir trees, reminding me of courses in Oregon. The first half of the course ends with a dangerous ace run, with the basket at the edge of a mound, and then raised 4-5 feet above normal on top of that. It shouldn't be a difficult deuce, but most putts won't be a gimme. There are a couple other baskets on pedestals here, increasing the need for getting close to the basket.
The second half of the course is almost entirely wooded and has some fun holes. Hole 12 is a great one, starting with a throw maybe 200 feet up a wide fairway before a sharp dogleg right with the basket 300-400 feet back in the wood. The safe play is a layup to the mouth of the dogleg, but a great RHBH turnover or RHFH shot can get you up the fairway with a reasonable shot at 4 (or 3 with a couple terrific shots). Nice design.
There are two layouts, the gold layout and Charlotte's Web, which is even longer. I played the gold layout. The web layout looked very challenging but in a fun way. The holes didn't look like a beatdown for the sake of a beatdown. The web baskets (when different from the gold) are colored white, so there is no confusion about which you're throwing to (not sure why the longer layout is white, contrary to the typical convention).
There isn't a lot of elevation here, but it is used well. Many baskets are placed on or near slopes.
Navigation wasn't bad, but I did reference the map a few times.
I like that most of the holes felt distinctive. It's easy to have a wooded course where you feel like you're playing the same hole repeatedly. I didn't feel like that here.
Cons: The walk between 9 and 10 is a little long. Just head back toward the first tee.
Hole 14 features the very tight line that seems popular in this area. Nevin and Scrapyard both had holes like this, very short holes with gaps that are maybe 5 feet wide. You can give them clever nicknames like "The Gauntlet," but I'm not a fan. There isn't a lot of risk/reward because there really isn't a safe way to play it. You can't lay up, and honestly, I'm skeptical that even very good players will hit that gap consistently. But I've been wrong before.
Other Thoughts: Back in the day your town probably had a radio station with the tagline "The station everyone at work can agree on." This is the course everyone can agree on. The best players in the world will be challenged by the web layout. Everyone else will find the gold layout challenging, but even relatively new players will find a lot of holes they like.

Sorry, My review isn't as long as the pole on hole 9

1    10/22/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: Hornets Nest resideds on a multi-use park with a BMX Race Course, Play Grounds, Tennis Courts, basketball Courts amongst other things.

Great tee pads and tee signs.

Fun Factor at this place is so high, Hole 9 is one of the best examples of this,

verity, has open, to wooded, longer and shorter holes, really has everything you need,

Can start from the back of front nine as they both lead back to the same parking lot, which makes it nice if you only have time to play 9 you can pick which ones you want.

Two Layouts.

Good amount of trash cans, but could use a few more.
Cons: From what I had heard when we played (it had just rained for an hour before we got there so the park was empty) it can be super busy on the open holes 1-7.

I played the normal format but have heard and saw some of the web baskets are a bit older.

Other Thoughts: When it comes to cons here it's more of a nit picking. For what the course is it's almost perfect.

Super Fun, and great over all experience.

We came here because of a time crunch and couldn't play another course, but I am extremely happy I ended up playing this course, I would love to have this be my home course.
_____________________________________
If you do not like my review, please give me a PM on what I can improve. Thanks!

If this could be my home course...

1    10/14/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great mix. Open, wooded. Left, right. Short, long. Add in the Web, and it's a completely different course.
- Front and back nines loop back to the parking lot - so it's convenient to use restrooms, get stuff from cars, bail after 9, etc.
- Good park amenities/atmosphere - benches in most (all?) tees, restrooms, water fountains, garbage cans. For as old and established as this course is, it was very clean.
- Nice, new"ish" baskets. The baskets are definitely NOT original. Kudos to whoever is cycling them.
- Next Tee signs are very helpful.
Cons: - Biggest con for me is signage. Since I'm not a local, I found it kind of confusing. Sometimes there are directions, and sometimes you can tell by the signage, but other times you can't. (I mean, even though I played it, looking at 16, 17, 18 Nest vs Web - really?). Some of the baskets didn't seem to be in (permanently removed, or temporarily missing?)
- Lots of walking in between holes. Am assuming that it's to avoid interaction with the other amenities in the park - but - A LOT OF WALKING - not the typical flow from basket to next pad.
Other Thoughts: - So, I only played the Nest - not the Web. I was under a bit of a time constraint (and it was kind of confusing). I think someone else commented that this isn't necessary a destination course - I kind of agree. No amazing holes (in fact, thinking back, I can't say "Yeah, that was a great hole"). I like 7 - long, fairly open, but low ceiling. Honestly, I question 9 - interesting ace run - I guess I see the risk/reward. The elevated basket makes it challenging - just seems a little out of place with all the distance for most of the other course, then it's like 8 and 9 are smooshed in together.

All the "negatives" being said, I would love to have this as a home course. Seems like the Nest seems like a course that can be "mastered" - challenging, but not overly punishing. You then have the option of playing the Web layout - which really ups the difficulty, for when you want to be challenged. This is not a par 3 that once you learn, you become bored with. I really look forward to playing this course again and getting on the Web!

Very Playable

1    7/20/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The surprising thing about the Charlotte area courses, or, at least the highly-rated ones that I played on two-day tour, was how different they all felt from each other. Hornet's Nest is the everyday, workman-like course of the bunch. That's not a bad thing. Hornet's Nest is the one that I could play a couple times a week. Hornet's Nest could be your local course. Renny might provide more thrill. Nevin might produce more challenge. But if I lived in Charlotte, I would play more rounds at Hornets Nest.

This is just a good course. Nine holes out in fields, circling around a busy park. Nine holes in carved through the woods. There's a ton of variety. Distances from under 200 to over 600 and everything in between. While there are a lot of technical shots, some of the fairways are even wide enough to pull out the bomber.
Cons: While there may not be a bad hole at the nest, there are not really any spectacular holes here. The front nine has a few that aren't imaginative and a few that run a bit too close to heavily used parts of the park. On Seven, I waited some time to find a break in passing cars. Similarly, Four is entirely too close to a baseball field. While I like the variation in surroundings here, chances of hitting moving cars and baseball players should ideally be 0%.
Other Thoughts: Hornets Nest is extremely playable, much more so than the other Charlotte courses I've seen. While it's not as much of a destination as the other big names in town, it's a fun course that should allow you to throw a bit of everything.

Great Course

5+    6/13/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: TheOdditie
This review was updated on 7/26/2013
Pros: This was the very first course I had ever played, back around 4 years ago. It killed me for the longest time but I kept going back to it. Now I live right down the road from this course and play it any chance I get. The front 9 is a lot more open than the back 9 is so its a good variety. You can have a really awesome day out there, and then it can bite you really quick too if your not careful. Has some holes that either you love or hate them. The "Web" layout steps it up a bit, but doesn't get played nearly as much as the "Nest" layout.
Cons: Mostly the course needs some updating: new tee signs, a few more benches, 9 saved from erosion and some other little things. There are a couple tee pads that are hard to get grip on if they is any moisture on it at all, but for how old the course is, it should be expected. As mentioned recently, Hole 18 is missing it's basket so you must play Web 18 if you want a full round. This is supposed to be resolved soon.
Other Thoughts: I have actually started trying to do some work out there and will continue to do more work out there. Last year I added "Next Tee" signs for the Nest layout and soon I will go out and add signs for the Web layout.
Because this was the first course I played, it has always been my favorite course and now that I live closer to it, it gives me a chance to help improve the course.

EDIT: Hole 18 has a basket again.

Great course

1    6/17/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: jared18
This review was updated on 11/7/2013
Pros: New Basket on hole 18! I played tuesday for my 2nd time and i loved it. probably because i drive alot futher im a better putter and more accurate but it is now one of my favorite courses. mixture of through the tree's in the woods to out with very few tree's throwing decent drive fairway drives and some mid-ranges. Both were in good condition i loved it and i will be going back more often.
Cons: Just a little back up but not much at all. Maybe add a few more trashcans on the teepad's there were many but you cant go wrong with trashcans.
Other Thoughts: All around i thought it was a great course in good conditions it was dry. which is really good! the only thing i had a problem was with the leave's but when we were teeing off our second round people blew the leaves off the holes so my only problem was solved! And park rangers were nice and friendly and drove around to look around the park so it is kept on watch and very fun. If your in the charlotte area go to hornets nest it will be worth it!

Fun but just okay

2-4    6/17/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: jkigg
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: fun course wish I had played the web that looks much more fun. Hole 4 was my favorite and 8 was a close second being that it was so tall it really helped improve uphill putting.
Cons: hole 18 is missing on nest part
Other Thoughts: web looks really fun wish I had played it. Why does everyone loves this course the nest is just okay.

Float and Sting like a Hornet (Forget Butterflies and Bees)

2-4    5/26/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 6/3/2013
Pros: Its hard to find a good starting talk when discussing the "pros" of this course. I will, however, preface the rest of this review by saying, "There is a reason this course is well known among the pros- and why big names such as Barry Schultz, have it listed among their favorites."

The park itself is in great condition, and is absolutely beautiful. There are a lot of amenities, such as multiple ball fields, gazebos, picnic tables, bathrooms, etc. The course itself does an amazing job weaving around the park with 2 layouts: the traditional "Hornets Nest", and the more advanced "Charlottes Web". Though I have never played a full round of Charlottes Web, the holes I have played were super fun, and the layout is definitely on my must do list once I feel I am more accurate when trying to hit tight gaps.

The brush has been beaten back a lot over the past few years. I am guessing a lot of work was done before 2012 Worlds, and have stayed back due to increased traffic. My last time playing there seemed to be a lot of people out on the course, but (another "pro") I never felt like it was crowded while I was out playing my 18. The park has a lot of land to utilize, and it never feels cramped at all.

The front nine are fairly open shots that make good use of more open areas of the park before cutting into the woods, without the feel of just throwing around in a field at randomly placed baskets. Each hole on the front nine remains extremely distinguishable from each other. Hole 9 ends right next to the starting parking lot allowing you a chance to use the restroom and refill your water bottle before starting the back nine.

The back nine is wooded, and more technical, though not many of the fairways are too demanding and multiple lines exist on most of them. The sign at hole 12 is a little misleading. There is only 1 basket to throw to, and it is the arguably the more fun par 5 that dog legs right. 14 is a great hole that many inexperienced players will look at with disdain, but there are multiple lines to throw. You can try to break through the green on the right or left of the gauntlet, throw a laser down the middle, or thumber through a hole with one of the most intense lines in the Greater Charlotte area. Both layouts have amazing holes to end on. 18 Original is a huge par 4 that has a Kilborne-esque fairway. (Though the pin was taken out semi-recently by a wreckless driver who tried to do a U-Turn in the grass.) 18 on Web is a really nice island shot, that I have played each visit, even if it is just for fun. There are a good number of benches along the course, and they are really comfortable.
Cons: Some of the pins have been moved recently (to better locations in my opinion, but make sure you check before throwing a disc.) But like every course, there will be trash out off the fairways, and I did see some out there. The layout itself is great, and the double layout never becomes a problem since they are not completely overlapped throughout. The brush isn't nearly as bad as it once was, but it can get a bit dodgy at times. If you play with a group, make sure you spot for each other, and keep eyes around the blind turns. (Just in case.) There seems to be some erosion issues on some holes, but it seems like the CDGC (Charlotte Disc Golf Club) has been doing a lot to help prevent this. But seeing the erosion is definitely upsetting. It would be a shame for some of these unique holes to wash away. I don't remember passing a lot of trash cans, but I also don't remember seeing a large amount of trash around (so I am guessing they were there). Be careful when sitting down on a bench, they are so comfortable, and the park is so peaceful it is easy to lose track of time.

In all honesty there aren't many cons right now, but that could be due to the recent work that has been put into the park. New tee signs would be a major plus though. There are some that are covered in graffiti or have false information. I am not going to take points off for the missing basket on 18, it hasn't been down for too, too long.
Other Thoughts: To me, this course is the quintessential Disc Golf Course. It has a great challenge to it, while maintaining a super amazing and relaxed feel on sunny days. I wish I lived close enough for this to be my "Home Course", but sadly it is on the other side of town.

Favorite Holes: 7, 8, 12, 14, 18