Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #4 (Taken 3/2009)
Looking back at #4 baskets. White: web layout, yellow: original

< Prev 1 2 3 4

1    12/18/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The setting is a scenic park, featuring a nice pond with ducks and a bridge (the pond isn't really in play), open areas, and woods. The first part of the course plays in the fairly open areas, and distance is more important than hitting a very specific line, although trees do come into play. Hole 2 is nestled among some very tall fir trees, reminding me of courses in Oregon. The first half of the course ends with a dangerous ace run, with the basket at the edge of a mound, and then raised 4-5 feet above normal on top of that. It shouldn't be a difficult deuce, but most putts won't be a gimme. There are a couple other baskets on pedestals here, increasing the need for getting close to the basket.
The second half of the course is almost entirely wooded and has some fun holes. Hole 12 is a great one, starting with a throw maybe 200 feet up a wide fairway before a sharp dogleg right with the basket 300-400 feet back in the wood. The safe play is a layup to the mouth of the dogleg, but a great RHBH turnover or RHFH shot can get you up the fairway with a reasonable shot at 4 (or 3 with a couple terrific shots). Nice design.
There are two layouts, the gold layout and Charlotte's Web, which is even longer. I played the gold layout. The web layout looked very challenging but in a fun way. The holes didn't look like a beatdown for the sake of a beatdown. The web baskets (when different from the gold) are colored white, so there is no confusion about which you're throwing to (not sure why the longer layout is white, contrary to the typical convention).
There isn't a lot of elevation here, but it is used well. Many baskets are placed on or near slopes.
Navigation wasn't bad, but I did reference the map a few times.
I like that most of the holes felt distinctive. It's easy to have a wooded course where you feel like you're playing the same hole repeatedly. I didn't feel like that here.
Cons: The walk between 9 and 10 is a little long. Just head back toward the first tee.
Hole 14 features the very tight line that seems popular in this area. Nevin and Scrapyard both had holes like this, very short holes with gaps that are maybe 5 feet wide. You can give them clever nicknames like "The Gauntlet," but I'm not a fan. There isn't a lot of risk/reward because there really isn't a safe way to play it. You can't lay up, and honestly, I'm skeptical that even very good players will hit that gap consistently. But I've been wrong before.
Other Thoughts: Back in the day your town probably had a radio station with the tagline "The station everyone at work can agree on." This is the course everyone can agree on. The best players in the world will be challenged by the web layout. Everyone else will find the gold layout challenging, but even relatively new players will find a lot of holes they like.

If this could be my home course...

1    10/14/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great mix. Open, wooded. Left, right. Short, long. Add in the Web, and it's a completely different course.
- Front and back nines loop back to the parking lot - so it's convenient to use restrooms, get stuff from cars, bail after 9, etc.
- Good park amenities/atmosphere - benches in most (all?) tees, restrooms, water fountains, garbage cans. For as old and established as this course is, it was very clean.
- Nice, new"ish" baskets. The baskets are definitely NOT original. Kudos to whoever is cycling them.
- Next Tee signs are very helpful.
Cons: - Biggest con for me is signage. Since I'm not a local, I found it kind of confusing. Sometimes there are directions, and sometimes you can tell by the signage, but other times you can't. (I mean, even though I played it, looking at 16, 17, 18 Nest vs Web - really?). Some of the baskets didn't seem to be in (permanently removed, or temporarily missing?)
- Lots of walking in between holes. Am assuming that it's to avoid interaction with the other amenities in the park - but - A LOT OF WALKING - not the typical flow from basket to next pad.
Other Thoughts: - So, I only played the Nest - not the Web. I was under a bit of a time constraint (and it was kind of confusing). I think someone else commented that this isn't necessary a destination course - I kind of agree. No amazing holes (in fact, thinking back, I can't say "Yeah, that was a great hole"). I like 7 - long, fairly open, but low ceiling. Honestly, I question 9 - interesting ace run - I guess I see the risk/reward. The elevated basket makes it challenging - just seems a little out of place with all the distance for most of the other course, then it's like 8 and 9 are smooshed in together.

All the "negatives" being said, I would love to have this as a home course. Seems like the Nest seems like a course that can be "mastered" - challenging, but not overly punishing. You then have the option of playing the Web layout - which really ups the difficulty, for when you want to be challenged. This is not a par 3 that once you learn, you become bored with. I really look forward to playing this course again and getting on the Web!

Great Course

5+    6/13/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: TheOdditie
This review was updated on 7/26/2013
Pros: This was the very first course I had ever played, back around 4 years ago. It killed me for the longest time but I kept going back to it. Now I live right down the road from this course and play it any chance I get. The front 9 is a lot more open than the back 9 is so its a good variety. You can have a really awesome day out there, and then it can bite you really quick too if your not careful. Has some holes that either you love or hate them. The "Web" layout steps it up a bit, but doesn't get played nearly as much as the "Nest" layout.
Cons: Mostly the course needs some updating: new tee signs, a few more benches, 9 saved from erosion and some other little things. There are a couple tee pads that are hard to get grip on if they is any moisture on it at all, but for how old the course is, it should be expected. As mentioned recently, Hole 18 is missing it's basket so you must play Web 18 if you want a full round. This is supposed to be resolved soon.
Other Thoughts: I have actually started trying to do some work out there and will continue to do more work out there. Last year I added "Next Tee" signs for the Nest layout and soon I will go out and add signs for the Web layout.
Because this was the first course I played, it has always been my favorite course and now that I live closer to it, it gives me a chance to help improve the course.

EDIT: Hole 18 has a basket again.

Float and Sting like a Hornet (Forget Butterflies and Bees)

2-4    5/26/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 6/3/2013
Pros: Its hard to find a good starting talk when discussing the "pros" of this course. I will, however, preface the rest of this review by saying, "There is a reason this course is well known among the pros- and why big names such as Barry Schultz, have it listed among their favorites."

The park itself is in great condition, and is absolutely beautiful. There are a lot of amenities, such as multiple ball fields, gazebos, picnic tables, bathrooms, etc. The course itself does an amazing job weaving around the park with 2 layouts: the traditional "Hornets Nest", and the more advanced "Charlottes Web". Though I have never played a full round of Charlottes Web, the holes I have played were super fun, and the layout is definitely on my must do list once I feel I am more accurate when trying to hit tight gaps.

The brush has been beaten back a lot over the past few years. I am guessing a lot of work was done before 2012 Worlds, and have stayed back due to increased traffic. My last time playing there seemed to be a lot of people out on the course, but (another "pro") I never felt like it was crowded while I was out playing my 18. The park has a lot of land to utilize, and it never feels cramped at all.

The front nine are fairly open shots that make good use of more open areas of the park before cutting into the woods, without the feel of just throwing around in a field at randomly placed baskets. Each hole on the front nine remains extremely distinguishable from each other. Hole 9 ends right next to the starting parking lot allowing you a chance to use the restroom and refill your water bottle before starting the back nine.

The back nine is wooded, and more technical, though not many of the fairways are too demanding and multiple lines exist on most of them. The sign at hole 12 is a little misleading. There is only 1 basket to throw to, and it is the arguably the more fun par 5 that dog legs right. 14 is a great hole that many inexperienced players will look at with disdain, but there are multiple lines to throw. You can try to break through the green on the right or left of the gauntlet, throw a laser down the middle, or thumber through a hole with one of the most intense lines in the Greater Charlotte area. Both layouts have amazing holes to end on. 18 Original is a huge par 4 that has a Kilborne-esque fairway. (Though the pin was taken out semi-recently by a wreckless driver who tried to do a U-Turn in the grass.) 18 on Web is a really nice island shot, that I have played each visit, even if it is just for fun. There are a good number of benches along the course, and they are really comfortable.
Cons: Some of the pins have been moved recently (to better locations in my opinion, but make sure you check before throwing a disc.) But like every course, there will be trash out off the fairways, and I did see some out there. The layout itself is great, and the double layout never becomes a problem since they are not completely overlapped throughout. The brush isn't nearly as bad as it once was, but it can get a bit dodgy at times. If you play with a group, make sure you spot for each other, and keep eyes around the blind turns. (Just in case.) There seems to be some erosion issues on some holes, but it seems like the CDGC (Charlotte Disc Golf Club) has been doing a lot to help prevent this. But seeing the erosion is definitely upsetting. It would be a shame for some of these unique holes to wash away. I don't remember passing a lot of trash cans, but I also don't remember seeing a large amount of trash around (so I am guessing they were there). Be careful when sitting down on a bench, they are so comfortable, and the park is so peaceful it is easy to lose track of time.

In all honesty there aren't many cons right now, but that could be due to the recent work that has been put into the park. New tee signs would be a major plus though. There are some that are covered in graffiti or have false information. I am not going to take points off for the missing basket on 18, it hasn't been down for too, too long.
Other Thoughts: To me, this course is the quintessential Disc Golf Course. It has a great challenge to it, while maintaining a super amazing and relaxed feel on sunny days. I wish I lived close enough for this to be my "Home Course", but sadly it is on the other side of town.

Favorite Holes: 7, 8, 12, 14, 18

A Genuine Classic

5+    9/30/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: This is one of the most balanced courses that I have ever played. You will need every shot in your bag to shoot well at the Nest and that may not be enough. as soon as you start to feel like you are in control, that is when the course takes over. Basically the course is split in half, Front nine is more open long holes, and medium touch shots. The back nine is in the woods, and its Charlotte Golf at its best. I am mainly reviewing the Original layout because I have only played the Web once. I have played this course at least a dozen times and something different gets me each time. the elevated baskets on 8 and 9 are tricky, I have taken very high numbers getting greedy. The gauntlet hole always gets me, I do not have the shot necessary to get through those gaps! Like I said earlier it mixes everything. you get opportunities to rip your longest drive on hole 2 and have to throw a touch putter or mid shot on 4. hole 7 is a nice par 4 that really tests distance and accuracy. Hole 12 is a BEAST. a genuine 3 shot par 5 that i am happy to take a 6 on.
Cons: As others have said it is a busy park, but if you can handle your plastic then you should have nothing to worry about. Yield to pedestrians and educate them when you get the chance.
Other Thoughts: Its obvious why this course is the most played course on DGCR. It is fun for every skill level and keeps you interested by mixing up the shots needed. anyone who has not taken the trip to Charlotte needs to, and make sure you get a round in at the Nest. you will be a better golfer for it. If you show up at the right time, you might catch MJ (Michael Johansen) parking holes with his Comet!

Beginner/intermediate-skilled review of Nest

1    1/21/2013   1/22/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Well-documented, popular, and clean course
+ Not confusing, even with Nest and Web layouts (Nest this way, Web that way)
+ Comfortably difficult, not over the top crazy, which made it very enjoyable
+ Good variety of long/short holes
+ Happy surprises (8's basket placement, the hole with the huge and steeply curved dogleg right)
+ Hole 10 starts at hole 1, which makes good use of the restroom facilities by the tennis court
+ Practice basket
+ Charlotte's Web looked killer!
Cons: - Holes 1-7 could be unplayable if the park is really busy
- 1-7 also not great for brand new throwers at risk of wild throws
- Throwing by the ballfield on #3 and #4 limited throws, but no more so than trees/rough
- Throwing next to roads/parking lots isn't that fun
- Hole 15's tee sign is kind of misleading
- Same rocky textured tees as Renny, which I personally didn't like
Other Thoughts: A good way to describe Hornet's Nest, even in the winter, is that it's a groomed and exciting course that can definitely surprise you. Every hole was like, "Ooooh, what do we have here?!" My main take-away thought from Hornet's Nest is that it deserves to be played through twice to play it decently. I would have thrown the course differently if I played a second time. Maybe I could have had a couple more birdies and a decent round overall (only birdied #6). In hindsight, what I learned was that emphasis is placed on calculated approach shots. For beginners/intermediate players that are still working on decently accurate drives, you have to know that the pace of Hornet's Nest isn't drive-putt, drive-putt, then drive-putt again. It ia approach-approach-putt and sometimes approach-approach-putt-putt ;) I think I was so excited to be finally playing Nest that I didn't take enough time to slow down and enjoy the round as much as I could have if I gave it more thought. Perhaps I was still in Renaissance-mode with holes that required long drives, long approaches, and/or long putts.

Hornet's Nest was as nice as everyone says it is, though. I wasn't surprised by how clean and groomed the course was. And I know not every disc golf course can be self-contained, but the integration of the front 9 as part of a sometimes-busy park is definitely worth highlighting for this otherwise stellar course. We played on a Monday morning around 9-9:30, (2 beginners, 1 intermediate player) and had the park to ourselves except for employees and two other golfers playing Web. If the course was busy, we wouldn't have been able to play it because the risk of wild throws from our beginners would have been too high. Once we hit the back nine around 10am more people showed up, so that might be something to keep in mind for beginners.

I definitely envy the players who throw such excellent courses on a regular basis. The guys in front of us on Charlotte's Web seemed to be having a much more difficult, but fun round. That's an added bonus and I think a big part of the appeal that keeps people coming back. I know it would keep me coming back!

A Tale of 1 and 2 1/2 courses

2-4    11/10/2012   11/19/2012
Review By: Spiral
Pros: The course is laid out into one pro level course (The Web), one urban park setting half (the normal front 9), and one natural in the woods half (the normal back 9). The web layout is definitely the most challenging and, in my opinion, the most fun because I prefer longer more technical courses.

The front 9 on the normal course can be fun when the park is not crowded. Mostly open fairways with a couple OBs for the ball field and road, with the road OB being the most prevalent. The best birdie and ace opportunities for the course are here.

The back 9 on the normal course is a great exercise in shot shaping and control through the trees. It throws about all the shot types and distances at you whether is 500 ft dog legs to the right with a fairly wide fairway or a 200 ft tunnel shot where no trees were harmed in creating the fairway.

The course is easy to navigate with the both hole #9 and hole #18 ending near the parking lot.

With The Worlds having been in town this course got a bit of facelift with some landscaping and new baskets. Some of the tees are a little worn but not enough to be a problem.
Cons: The normal front 9 has all of the cons on the course,and to me they can be major. When the park is busy the front 9 can be all but unplayable because of picnickers and road traffic.

I not a fan of throwing near groups of people that have no idea what I'm doing and are not aware of the potential danger that they are in (not that I'm that bad, but I'm prone to bad shots at the exact wrong time).

Also the parks road can get busy. I prefer to wait for cars to get out my threatened are before I throw and when the park is busy that window of opportunity isn't long. On the flip side it seems some other golfers aren't aware or don't care about the road traffic. When a disc comes close to or actually hitting a non-discgolfers car that's bad P.R. for all of us.

I also would like to have seen the pond factored into course in a more meaningful than just window dressing.

As a personal preference I'm not a fan of placing baskets on top of pyramids. It just seems gimmicky, like the windmill at a putt-putt course. If it's used once in a course I can let it slide, but there are 3 on the normal course here.
Other Thoughts: Do not even try to play the front 9 when the park is busy especially the 4th of July weekend.

Overall this course has almost everything a disc golfer could ask for. All that's missing is a serious water hazard.

Oh World

1    7/12/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: Brand new baskets! Good use of park land and wooded areas. Good variety of shots. Trash cans at just about every hole. One of the cleanest courses I have ever seen. Consistent tee pads. Several baskets were raised to provide an extra challenge. In a park with lots of other ameneties including tennis and ball fields. Well marked paths to get you from one hole to the next. Tee signs at every tee box, including the special web layout. Bathrooms near the start. Plenty of parking. The front 9 and back 9 start in the same place and could be two independent loops for those who might want to just get a quick 9 holes in. The fun level on this course is pretty high and I can only imagine new players getting frustrated at times with the long and tight holes.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are starting to look well used to the point of breaking down a bit. There are a few tee pads in the more wooded areas that are rather slippery. In only a couple of places you will find that park traffic might be crossing or near certain holes. These are all pretty small issues considering how good this course really is.
Other Thoughts: I am reviewing this after my practice round in advance on the 2012 Am World Championships. This course definately has the charm of a historic course. I think the new baskets are a great start to updating this course and better upkeep of the tee signs and tee pads would go a long way to making this course even better. I cannot speak to the issues of traffic on this course but for the quality of it I would imagine that it gets a lot of use. If it doesn't, it should. I am always a little bit concerned about playing courses that have a rich history, but this course lived up to the hype.

COURSE MAP

1    5/26/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
Pros: Definitely a fun course with a nice mix of distance and technical shots. I have enjoy working on precision and airing it out so I had great time.

You can not complain about the course amenities. Trashcans at nearly every hole and as the course wraps through a nice park so there is easy access to restrooms from a few holes (which is especially nice for the female players).
Cons: The on-course maps need to be updated and they should add directional guides. Luckily I read a review that recommended printing and map as I had to reference it on two occasions in order to find the direction to the next hole.

Very crowded course and many small groups (1-2 person) that push the speed of play. I am not an extremely slow player and have never had as many people riding my tail as what I experienced here. I don't have any issue letting people play-through but just a heads up on what you might find.

Disc Golf School

5+    9/27/2013   5/17/2012
Review By: curmudgeonDwindle
This review was updated on 9/28/2013
Other Thoughts: Course is in what appears to be a regional level park featuring rolling piedmont terrain with mature canopy. As a typical park in this area, it is 'buffered' and it also features a long entrance road, along which facilities are developed. Select clearing and then grassing has occurred around the more traditional park activities and the course's front 9. Park is about 150 acres. Course is, in the main, sequestered from other park activities and appeared well maintained at the time of play. Equipment, tees, amenities, and signage are above average, although vandalism appears on some shared 'Web' layout tees.

This is the first time this reviewer has played the course in nearly a decade, so some comments on the course's condition and development will be in order. Since that time, the course has undergone a major revision, substantially or completely changing almost 1/3 of the course. The course's essential character has remained the same and has softened gracefully. The biggest difference in play value is the 'forgiveness' of the roughs, which were downright penal, even for minor errors, 10 years ago. Course is significantly more 'playable' today, meaning that chances for recovery while scrambling have greatly improved all over the course. Also notable, aside from the 'Web' layout (the subject of a future review), is that many trees have since matured and clear cuts have begun to refill the open canopy spaces. The result is an additional need for accuracy, as some route options are not feasible anymore and other key windows have tightened up. There is also more shade, which yields a more consistent 'feel' throughout the course (and cooler play time during summer months). Also, before this reviewer played, the turf was recently mown, opening up the roller game. Significant play affecting wind still is a factor on this course, especially on the front and less so on the back. Interior paths are well worn and an appropriate width for fairly comfortable single file bi-directional foot traffic. Way finding was easy although some transitions are extended and longish. Few play affecting drainage problems are evident, despite the course's proximity to a large creek.

Hornets' Nest is almost perfectly balanced between the extremes of tight woods and 'open' parkland, which greatly adds to its playability, 'fun' and fairness. Course will richly reward straight flat shots of up to 300', with even more scoring opportunities if one can extend that to 350'. Average hole length for the 18 is less than 350', which means that only average to good power is needed to score well, even though long throwers will always get more scoring chances. Nine holes are less than 300'.

Elevation differences between the tee and the target are fairly subtle at Hornet's Nest. There are no tough uphill tugs or majestic downhill pumps. Perhaps the greatest elevation difference one traverses from tee to green, on any one hole, is 2 meters, with the exceptions of #15 & #16.

From tee to green, the golfer most commonly approaches a slightly elevated green (12 holes). Everywhere on Hornets' Nest, but especially on high handicap holes, there is a very strong emphasis on placement and distance control, as it is nearly impossible to overpower these holes and the results of many conservative plays will not even yield an 'open' line to the target. Reviewer appreciated the relatively limited ob areas, all of which are well enough away from play, clearly visible and/or intuitive (if not explicitly marked). 7 holes are completely blind from the tee and 3 of these are the top 3 handicap holes; their landing zones are well apparent from the tee. All fairways are well defined and approach an almost standardized width. The routing's flow is intuitive enough. On 2 of the 3 three 'road holes', stable counter spin shots are favored with regard to landing ob.

Greens do not feel as potentially punishing as some other Charlotte courses. 2/3 of the course features greens that are between 0% and 3% average slope and all are generally unobstructed within 10 meters. Don't worry though - there are ample chances to get stuck behind a tree at Hornets' Nest. Greens are either neutral or generally more receptive to the fade of counter spin tee shots/approaches.

Perhaps the most controversial issue regarding Hornet's Nest would be the 'elevated' baskets (also present elsewhere in Charlotte). Reviewer really appreciates these experiments; this sport is not yet so hidebound, that such elements be automatically disregarded on some 'formal disc golf' basis. Reviewer also appreciates this trend toward more specifically constructed features in disc golf, but the articulation of these specific elements is generally crude and begs for improvement. The current appearance is likely due to budgetary and time constraints; they function well enough however. A direct comparative example is available at Hornet's Nest. If you visit, please compare the masonry erosion protection wall around #5's pin with the elevated target feature on #'8's green and decide for yourself which solution is more 'professional' and 'safety conscious'.

#9 is a very playful hole, but seemingly out of character with the rest of the course, which might lead some to the term 'contrived', but a regular player of Hornets' Nest might quickly learn to develop a new type of putt to add to his/her 'bag of tricks', specifically to deal with an 'elevated' green's unique 'topography'. It is for the reader to decide the value of this trade-off.

#14 is certainly one of the top-ten 'short' holes (<275') in the world, a super-fine division between the limits of human skill and the grace of luck.

Perhaps a response to 'fairness' criticisms, #15 now features an added fairway route to the left, a fairly labor intensive method to silence the naysayers, but it adds at least one more 'important' decision to the round. Before this change, this reviewer felt #15 was one of the toughest tee shots in the city for a hole of this length (320'). Eminently reachable from the tee, it is/was one of the few holes that forced a player to get the disc relatively high into the air and exercise flawless fade control through a typically narrow fairway over that entire distance. This is tough for either spin, as extreme throwing angles relative to horizontal will not work well with these constraints. High speed discs do not work so well either.

Hornet's Nest is a solid course, with no terrible glaring defects. The technical skills and power required to play well here, while not especially deep or varied, can easily lead to success on most any other course in the sport.

UPDATE SECTION

This review update concerns the Web layout at Hornets Nest Park and based on this layout's ambition alone, I feel a higher rating is in order for the entire facility. In my earlier review, I more or less ignored the Web layout, as it is nearly a different course entire. This merits a separate treatment. Let's start with the technical details…

Course has 10 par 4's, 3 par 5's and 5 par 3's and the average hole distance is just under 510'; 13 holes are 480' or better. This is much more in keeping with a standard golf course in every respect, but most importantly strategically. While this may seem obvious to some, it's important to keep in mind this course is a fairly early example of this type of disc golf course and overall is still fairly rare in the disc golf world. When Hornets Nest opened in '96, 6000'+ permanent courses were somewhat rare and now this average distance is a standard expectation for advanced and above level golfers. The Web layout offers some new expectations for those with the fever, and thus we have strategy working on a few different levels here…

Regarding how the course plays, much of my earlier review talking points still applies, but is amplified. Straight flat shots up to 350' are the most richly rewarded play over the entire course. Placement of tee shots is crucial to scoring, as 7 holes are un-cuttable doglegs. Note that there are no holes with distances between 320' and 486' and how that might affect scoring chances for those with above average power. Of the straight shot shape par 4's, all have various restrictions, obstacles, height restrictions, incredible length, etc., which further blunt a power player's advantage off the tee. From a competitive standpoint, this enables a wider range of players to be in the hunt. Noodle-armed control players don't lose heart!

Course overall is generally balanced regarding spin advantage with a slight advantage going to stable counter spin shot shapes from the tee and approach. This advantage is most pronounced on the front 9 and shifts to a stable clock spin advantage on the back 9. As with the Nest, a few more greens are counter spin receptive than clock, but most are neutral. As the Web is younger and also receives less play, the roughs are generally thicker and more penal. Your ability to scramble and recover will depend a lot on both your humility and the breadth of your 'bag-of-tricks'.

Naturally, with all these long holes most holes are blind or semi-blind. Web first timers may have some difficulty off the tee, as many of the best landing spots are not immediately apparent or obvious from same. #17, in particular, has a devious visual perception trick, due in part to the slightly depressed tee box. If you have poor depth perception, I advise pre-walking the fairway here for a better look before you throw. Web first timers would also be well advised to print a course map as way finding isn't quite as obvious as with the Nest, and some transitions are long and a bit awkward/non-intuitive (#13-14).

Specific holes worth mentioning:
#4 gets a lot of flak for being too close to the baseball field, which is a valid, but there's nothing to really be done about it. There's no such thing as a 'perfect course'. Well, maybe in heaven…. Otherwise, I feel it gets a bit overlooked for its cleverness. At about 550', it's in range for a legitimate putting eagle for those with exceptional power from the tee, BUT, the tee is slightly depressed and pocketed, hiding the wind direction and speed from the golfer. There are also both height and width restrictions off the tee; these factors effectively nullify any 'big air' type of attempt. In addition, the drop-off-and-roll-away slope with ob behind make the approach dicey for everyone, especially clock spin dominant players. This hole epitomizes the risk/reward concept from the approach, as a routine birdie (for the good to gifted) can easily turn into a bogie or worse.

#16 in my opinion, easily the most difficult hole on the course, is an absolute nightmare for a counter spin dominant player. Not just because of its length, constricted fairway and harshly penal rough throughout, but because these factors are compounded by the left-to-right downward slope, the ridgeback green (which repels fast shots from all directions) WITH an elevated basket and its place late in the round. I've personally carded many relatively simple 3's on the Nest's #16, but can scarcely imagine that result on the Web's. Good thing it's a par 5. Think again if you believe this designer doesn't have a mean streak.

Since this is an overlay design on a popular course, conflicts and confusion may arise between players of different tracks, but how is this different from any other busy course? On crowded park days, some areas of the course are a bit close to other park activities/goers, which may be an irritation to golfers, but the trade-off is more exposure to the uninitiated. I still feel #9 is a 'sore thumb' hole, out of character for the rest of the course and I like to think the designer built this hole on purpose with the express objective of provoking controversy and irritation. That's fine. #18's tee box is blind to the benches and tee boxes for #'s 1& 10, and although it's a short hole, this is a conflict for a conservative play on the most congested area of the course.

The Web most closely adheres to the strategic and penal design schools and while some may feel the dearth of heroic opportunities here a negative, for most 'normal' golfers it's more than challenge enough. Played well, in the manner intended, the Web sharpens the golfing tools which will bring the most success and enjoyment in the long term: mid-range consistency, course management and a solid mental game (solid putting is not really course dependant). Most of my negative criticisms address minor points, as in the main, the Web is a solid offering that aspiring designers and golfers alike can go to school on.

< Prev 1 2 3 4