Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #7 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #7 Mid-Fairway: About halfway through you have a choice of left or right approach to the basket. If you look closely between the trees you can see the basket.

Get stung by the Nest!!!

1    1/20/2010   1/20/2010
This review was updated on 7/15/2011
Pros: 1) Elevated baskets add to the challenge with this course. This is a seldom used feature on courses probably because people aren't creative enough, but I feel like they really add to the challenge, and even moreso to the risk/reward.

2) Densely wooded courses but has a decent mix of some open drives too. I like the variety of this type of course but I much prefer the densely wooded holes, but when you deal with the difficulty of tunnel shots for an entire 18 it can wear on you a little. All and all nice balance!

3) Course loops around from 1-9 back to the parking lot and then again 10-18. This allows for 9 hole rounds without a long walk back to the lot.

4) Kiosk and bathrooms available at the first tee. Practice basket is also usable even though it doubles as the Charlottes Web 18th basket.

5) Nice signage includes Par, Hole #, Distance, O.B.'s, mandos, and other prominent features like ponds, creeks, etc.

6) Garbage cans and benches are available on every hole. This is a feature I appreciate for both cleanliness and player fatigue.

7) Framed massive concrete tees. Some holes have multiple tees when the Charlotte's Web and original layout overlap. There are some holes where the Charlotte's Web layout has it's own hole completely. In this circumstance each hole has its own tee. When the holes are shared there are two tees per hole (one for the web, one for the original). When the original and Web hole are exactly the same there is only one tee.

8) Dual layouts is an incredible idea. I love the idea of being able to play both courses each day (as opposed to the way we do it here in WI, where we have multiple locations but only one basket in place on any given day). I like being able to play both courses on each day because it cuts down on travel time and increases the efficiency of your DG for the day. 2 courses at once!

9) Excellent design using a pretty awesome property. It incorporates all sorts of unique property features into a tough and challenging course. I looked at the original layout despite only playing the Web layout. The Web was obviously more challenging and a lot longer. The original layout was still challenging, but with shorter holes it can be a lot more forgiving.

10) Excellent diversity of shot shaping and hole routing. There are all sorts of different shots needed on this course and you will be tested from start to finish. You definitely need to bring all your shots and a tomahawk could be useful from time to time.

11) The ground is leaf covered. This may be considered a negative to some but it does a good job in keeping mud from forming. The leaves create a barrier that help to allow runoff of the course so it doesnt get a chance to soak intot he soil. I played this course the morning after a 1 inch rain or so and it was wet but really only in the low spots ditches and drainageways. The wooded hole were not too bad because the rain generally filters to specific areas.

12) The local club obviously does a good job helping out with maintenance and the design/install of these courses. The municipality also aids in maintenance but apparently the club get the go ahead and they do a lot of the work to build the courses.

13) Directional signs are used on ocassion to help in routing. They could use a few more but the effort is there to help first timers through the park.

14) Risk/reward is present in multiple places on this course. Some has to do with basket locations, but some also has to do with tight curved fairways. You can try and thread the needle all the way around the corner or just layup to the dogleg.

15) Multi shot holes are always a plus in my opinion. I like it when you have to get to an area to throw to another area. It requires shot execution for sure!

16) The turf is in good condition when in the open areas. Obviously the wooded holes do not have turf but they have a nice cover of leaves to keep those areas clean as mentioned above.

17) Elevation is used whenever possible and unlike some of the other courses in the area the elevation is not extreme, but it is gently rolling.

18) The park is tremendous and it has a wide variety of other activities (if you are into things other than DG). Mecklenberg county is incredible and all of their parks are extremely nice. They are massive and there is tons to do.
Cons: 1) The layout can be a little confusing because there are two baskets installed and left in place because of the two layouts. It may get confusing if the signage isn't good, but I played with a local (Discchucker) who hadn't played the Web layout before and we had no real problems, but we had to walk up fairways on occassion to figure it out.

2) The elevated baskets are fun for me, but a lot of people (specifically beginners) will be very frustrated with this type of concept.

3) This course is very difficult and really is not conducive to a beginner enjoying themselves. There are simply too many things on this course that will keep beginners from having a good time, unless they really enjoy the challenge.

4) Too much luck is required from time to time on this course, but overall the 18 holes play pretty fairly, there just are certain holes and certain shots that may need more than skill to do well.

5) There are some confusing areas when playing the web layout. Obviously some more directional signs would help. They do have some signs to help figure things out but not in every spot that could confuse.

6) Some areas off the fairway have some rough rough areas. For the most part the areas right along the fairway is ok, but there are a few areas that could use some thinning. Get a few errant tree kicks and you will certainly have to deal with some thick stuff. Bring your tomahawk.

7) Road is in play on a few occassions. I never like this to be an issue but as long as you know when to throw and when to wait it isnt a problem except for slowing the round down slightly.
Other Thoughts: What an awesome course in an awesome city, with tons of awesome disc golf courses. I cannot believe how awesome the courses are in Charlotte. I had the pleasure of playing Renaissance (Gold Layout), Cameron Yards, Squirrel Lake, Elon Long, Elon Short, Reedy Creek, Hornets Nest (The Web Layout), Kilborne (Skillborne layout), Nevin, and Mint Hill. I am not sure how I would choose what course to play what day if I lived in the area. There are so many good courses and almost everyone of them challenges you through and through. I prefer courses that challenge and force shot making as long as they are fair. For the most part all of these courses were fair, and luck was needed from time to time, but overall didn't feel like it was too unfair. It felt like execution of these shots was possible. Now keep in mind I am a mid to high 800 rated player (currently 846, but my last two tourneys were in the upper 800's) and I played the hardest layouts of each of these courses. I always feel like I need to see everything the course can throw at me to truly appreciate the courses. This course was tough, mostly because of the distance, but they also have some tough shots. I loved every minute of it and I will be back. The Web layout was fun and am sure the original layout would still be fun but perhaps a little less challenging.

5+    11/10/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Bring your bag filled to the top.If you can really control a drive, and still make tough upshots, maybe you will get some drop ins, but mostly, like this game is played, it is a putting game at the Nest and the Web.That is why I think the Nest is so unique (thanks Stan, again) dramatic flight paths with strange flex lines, and tight, control-or-fold, tunnel shots with pin placement only the designer can laugh at.Really is an amazing use of creativity with land, mixed with raw punishment in the Web.Wish I could play it more often,well that settles it I'm going tomorrow to visit, just one round I promise.
Cons: Whatever cons I could conjure up would be defeated by the courses' powers.The Nest was and will always be my idea of disc golf in Charlotte.It is long and strong like Renny, but not nearly the elevation changes and trickery.
Other Thoughts: If I had one course in Charlotte to play and only one, (not the bazillion great ones we have now and counting)it would have to be the Nest.It will force you to learn the game in all of its areas.For all of CDGC;s hard work they do in and around town I am forever grateful.

The Nest

5+    10/1/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: A lot of hard work has went into making this one of the better courses in NC. There are 2 layouts here that offer different challenges. The original layout is a par 58 that will challenge intermediate. The web layout is a par 69 that will challenge most anyone's game. There isn't much elevation in this park, but what is there is used on the course. I think anyone could find something to love here. The front nine is mainly wide open, with many chances to air out your disc. The back nine is tight and wooded. There are benches on most holes and there are tee signs a plenty usually showing both layouts. There are 20 holes here, 2 completely seperate holes for the web layout on the back nine(11 and 18). There are a couple of holes where water comes into play, #2 web and #5, behind the baskets. There are clean restrooms and water fountains right by holes 1, 10 and 18. There is also a water fountain between 2 and 3. One of my favorite things about this course is the variety of holes here. Long, short, right, tight, open and even a lefty or 2. The park is open until 11pm, making it one of the few where you can play a glo round in the Charlotte area. The park also has really nice tennis courts, several ball fields, many picnic shelters, basketball courts, volleyball and a really cool BMX track. This course is always very clean, minus how nasty the ponds look.
Cons: -Layout on the front 9. Can be confusing for first timers.
-A bit of a walk from 1 to 2, 9 to 10.
-The fairway for 2 and 7 are open and on the weekends get used by other park folks for picnic areas. #2 has been the only hole I've had to skip and is easily made up by the extra holes on the back 9.
-The park road(ob) runs by 5, 6 and 7, you'll have to watch for cars when teeing or throwing from the fairway.
Other Thoughts: I have resisted writing a review for this course because of the HBB factor. This is the closest course to my driveway. But it's just too good a course not to review and recommend to other players. If you are a novice this place may frustrate you, it wasn't designed with you in mind. But if you are serious about improving your game it will teach you alot about shot placement. And it will make you learn to use your mid-range. When I play the original layout I bring a bag heavier on midrange and approach. My review leans toward the original layout, as that is what I play mainly. As my game improves I hope to even out my review with the web layout in mind. With either layout this course is a solid 4 discer, maybe a notch more.

Favorite Hole - #12 Par 5 683'. This hole, in my opinion, is probably the best hole in Charlotte. You have a wide open shot off the tee to a landing zone about 250' away. The hole then takes a dead right hand turn downhill into the woods. You have an open beginning, as it goes downhill it gets tight. You then have an uphill upshot to the hole. Basket is on a hill sloping left when facing the basket from the fairway. If you place your first 2 shots correctly you have an excellent birdie
chance. Get off the fairway and you'll be lucky to par.

Web of Deceit!

2-4    8/8/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Remarkable layout that utilizes a good mix of open park and tight hardwoods. Minor elevation changes add interest in addition to some gnarly elevated baskets by a mad designer. The more open holes are never too open, while the woods holes offer just enough fairway to be honest. Some of the "Charlottes Web"' holes are really a great addition to the challenges here. Pin placements are frequently challenging too. Tee pads are super grippy and baskets well- marked.
Cons: Though the towering elevated pins are interesting, I would prefer to have only one or two on the course. The. Novelty quickly wears off after that. It's best to print a map- it's sometimes confusing to find some tees and the long fairways on the Web (#3 in particular) would create mucho confusion of you've never played the course.
Other Thoughts: I would prefer this on a hot day, as most of the course is in shade. Course was not busy on a hot summer day , but zillions of other people using the park. Vehicles on front nine can be a noise annoyance.

Need To Be Able To Throw A RHBH Fade On This Course!

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: The Hornet's Nest is mega challenging and I'm hearing that Charlotte's Web is even tougher. The course is well maintained with extra long teepads and two sets of baskets. The front nine is more open and the back nine has some seriously tight holes through the woods. To score well on this course you not only to have be able to thtrow straight but you better have a nice fade shot if your a righty. Finally, on the back nine there were a couple of right hyser friendly holes. As a first time player, I appreciate the next tee signs and also a couple of the faded little signs which gives you pointers on how to play the hole. I played early in the morning and almost had the entire park to myself. I was the only one on the course.
Cons: It was a little confusing to navigate in places. I'm not generally a fan of the raised baskets and two in a row is too much. And the extremely raised basket on # 9 is more of a gimmick to me than serious disc golf. On the other hand, the raised basket on # 17 stands out to me as a classic hole with the terrain surrounding it and the slightly, raised basket I liked it a lot but I'm not sure exactly which course it belonged to. The two courses overlapping each other probably messed me up some. A couple of the holes were very tight throwing through the woods.
Other Thoughts: I can definitely see the attraction here. If I had a stronger, more accurate arm, I would have enjoyed my experience here much more. But there is no doubt that Charlotte has a wealth of wonderful disc golf courses to play. I stayed here three days and played 18 in those three days. Long grueling days but well worth it.

Glad I finally played it

1    7/11/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: This is a very fun course. Lots of variety, fairly challenging but not a struggle.

Distinct front & back 9s, looping back to parking lot. Front 9 features semi-open holes around ballfields and picnic pavillions; a bit crowded with non-disc-golfers on the summer Saturday I was there. Back 9 is in a beautiful hardwood forest.

Some tight but always fair holes. (Well, almost always). Some tight holes with tough doglegs rewards those who can throw backhand & forehand, as there's not enough width to throw anhyzlers.

One great hole, to my taste---hole 12---but lots of good-to-very-good holes.
Cons: 3 baskets are artificially raised, 2 on poles at the top of already-tall mounds, which may result in some straight-up putts. 1 would be cute; 3 seems a bit gimmicky.

A couple of long walks between holes.
Other Thoughts: I've heard about this course for years and finally saw it, and am glad I did.

Navigation fairly easy, even without a map; only once or twice did we walk off in the wrong direction looking for the next tee.

I didn't play the more challenging "web" layout, which overlaps the normal course, but look forward to it someday.

Definitely didn't sting

2-4    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Everything, this course is hard not to like, unless you're a masochist. Two layouts, great DG scene, nice park (amenities, etc.), well-maintained fairways/course. Great variety of wooded and open. Not a lot of elevation change but more than few raised baskets and mounds make it interesting. Just a fun course, period. I played the original "Nest" layout and I didn't find the layout confusing at all but I printed out a course map. Still, there's enough signage and people playing to get the gist of things. Not really any super tight holes (hole 14 excluded, aptly named the "Gauntlet"). But the combination of length and shape require accuracy to score well. The biggest pro by far is that there is little danger of losing a disc (Ahem, Renny). Concrete tees, signs, etc.
Cons: I wish I had time to play Web b/c it looked as if it had a bit more hole variety, especially the horseshoe on hole 3 but that is neither here nor there. The only cons I can conjure up is that the course itself is not the most excluded being in a decidedly park setting, lacks exquisite natural beauty, and is a flatter course. A family reunion tried to set up a badminton net in front of the basket on hole 1. The park road can come into play on some holes.
Other Thoughts: This is really a 4 but I gave it another .5 disc just b/c it's tons of fun. Holes 17 and 18 are really nice, the former a sweeping hyzer in the woods and the latter a thrilling long turnover hole downhill. The raised basket on # 9 is tall! It's my favorite hole b/c it's quirky, short and open but way up on a post. Little people may not want to play that hole.

hornets nest course reveiw

1    6/14/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Avenger4ThaAce
Pros: very well upkept,nice disc catchers,long holes with justafied pars.
Cons: undefined path confusing for first time players,very mudy when rains ,elevated baskets are poorly located ,water hazards can be overbairing for begginers,hole layout is not corrispondent with path of course.
Other Thoughts: allot of cons but its a matter of opinion so you will have to play and review for yourself.a rather advanced player course but not to difficult to attempt. ONE NATION UNDER PAR!!!

great

5+    6/7/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: chingaling
Pros: great maintnance, the club does a great job keepin it up, risky shots and sharp turns makes this course very eventful and just waiting on those super shots, the course is a top fav. of mine, but i live a good bit away so i do not get to play it alot
Cons: none really, the web is kind of confusing but in all i was pretty happy with it

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Favorite course in Charlotte. Two layouts, Orginal and Web. Web plays about 10-15 strokes harder. Distance and accuracy required as most holes are narrow and over 300'. Take advantage of getting 2's and 3's because you will take a couple of 4's and even 5's on the Web. Highly recommend playing the orginal layout first a few times then stepping up and playing the Web. I personally like the original layout better but occasionally throw the Web just to remind myself how challenging it is.
Cons: Can be a bit confusing with dual tee pads and dual baskets on most holes. Walk from to 1 to 2 is a little long but no big deal.
Other Thoughts: Two baskets per hole. Yellow -- Original. White -- Web.
Favorite Hole -- #12. Great multi-shot hole with second hole shooting gap through woods downhill.
Hardest Hole -- Web #3. Miss the fairway and pay dearly. Play for a 4, pray for a 5.