Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #7 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #7 Mid-Fairway: About halfway through you have a choice of left or right approach to the basket. If you look closely between the trees you can see the basket.

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

5+    8/20/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this courses stack up (I am counting this as a 36 hole course):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

Awesome Course!

2-4    4/9/2009   4/9/2009
Review By: Youngblood
Pros: Awesome course spread out over Hornets Nest Park. A wide variety of shots will need to be used to score well on this course. Course is laid out well with some hidden gems that can throw a kink in your game quickly. This park also features 2 distinct courses that can a host a wide variety of playing skills. Elevated tees and extremely tight wooded fairways will challenge even the best of players to make their shots in par. Elevated tees and a serene backdrop makes this one of Charlotte's finest courses. The park hosts a wide variety of recreational bliss including a pro BMX track. The park does host clean bathrooms and Security is present often. Every hole does host a cement tee and the course ends right near where it began. The baskets are in good condition and there are helpful signs to point you to the next hole. Although this park is not in the best part of town every player I have encountered were friendly and helpful. One even helped us search for a lost disc that took almost 15 minutes to find. Tournaments are often held at this course.
Cons: Course can be confusing to play if your playing for the first time if you don't have a map. Hole 7 is missing a tee on the original course so we just played the tee for the other course and that still got us in the right direction. Course can get moderately muddy after a rain. Many tee markers are missing. Like I mentioned earlier this course is not in the best area of town so I would not leave anything valuable in your car within site.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course a few times and did not want to write a review on the course until a fair judgment could be made regarding it. I had an awesome time playing this course and found it very fulfilling and challenging. You will need to use a plethora of shots in order to score well. This is one of the top rated courses in Charlotte and that title is well deserved! If possible come and check this course out it will be worth the drive. While not as challenging as the monster "Renny" course located only minutes away you will be satisfied upon completion of this course!

charlottes web

1    3/19/2009   3/25/2009
Review By: Myers
This review was updated on 4/2/2010
Pros: This course (the web layout) is one of the most beautiful and well designed courses I have played. Every shot in my bag was used. backhand forehand, thumber, anyhyzer, stalls. you name it. Elevated pins also add to the challenge and beauty of the course. a great mix of mostly open holes and shorter technical holes. The holes were fair with a designated fairway with risk reward on most holes. Mandos are in place on some holes to ensure you use the fairway. there is plenty to do in the park besides disc golf. The course has 2 loops that start and finish next to the parking lot... 1-9 and 10-18 which makes a half round an option if you don't have enough time. I left this course on cloud nine.
Cons: almost none. the only issue i had was a bit of confusion with it being my first time. The baskets being shared by the nest and web course can make you unsure where to throw. i can only guess that the holes shared will back up during busy times but when i played it flowed nicely
Other Thoughts: This course immediately went to the top of my list. There is only one other course I have played that when I left I was in awe. This course left me nothing but ecstatic. I was passing thru from Ohio on a 12 hour trip and it was well worth every minute that it delayed my trip. simply awesome

Review of Hornets Nest (Original & Web)

2-4    3/7/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: Good challenge with open & wooded shots. Clean multi-use wooded park setting. Clean bathrooms. Practice basket. Drinking fountains. Benches on most holes. Hole #9 finishes at the parking lot. Extra "web" holes add to the experience & challenges the pro throwers in the group.
Cons: Some foot traffic on holes 5, 6 & 7. These holes also play along the main road into the park so auto traffic could be a problem on busy days.
Other Thoughts: With two courses in one place this park offers a lot of variety for all who visit.

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: the front nine is fun and kinda open, a lil water on one hole, and creative.
Cons: the back nine is just stupid, i think very poorly designed and lazy, i also think its so challenging on some holes you cant throw with out hitting a tree like 12.
Other Thoughts: the front nine makes me wanna go and the back makes me never wanna go back

Beautiful challenging course

5+    2/6/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: THORNBURG
Pros: One of the best courses you will step on 1)Its maintained magnificently
2)Its very big
3)Very challenging
4)Not many give me birdies
Cons: My only gripe i have is that you never no how well you'll play you'll be having a great day but get tree raped numerous of times AND THE TOURNEMENTS IN CHARLOTTE DON'T OFFER ANYTHING FOR PRIZES
Other Thoughts: MUST PLAY COURSE

1    6/1/2006   2/13/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 2/15/2009
Pros: Scenic course, I especially love the look of the front- lush fairways, nice trees. Great tee signs. Challenging course with good variety. This is one of the more famed courses around and a must play for any serious disc golfer if you get a chance.
Cons: Some holes are spread by a longer walk and hard to spot the next tee- use the map. Road comes into play a couple of times- watch for cars and scuffed up discs!
Other Thoughts: I was unaware of the Web layout when I played here. I just played the Nest and it alone made for an excellent round of DG. I would definitely come back and play the Nest again, as well as giving the Web a try!

Great Course

5+    12/23/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: This course,especiallly when you factor in Web, gives you every variety of shot you would want. There is long turnover shots, technical placement shots, hyzers, deuce or die holes and several air it out oppurtunities. Nest/Web is one of the best designed courses in Charlotte and designed by one of the best course designers in Stan McDaniel. Add all of this with the fact that the course is extremely well maintained and it has two bathrooms and water fountains throughout the front nine gives the course a good argument of being the best in Charlotte.
Cons: Webs layout could be difficult for first time players. A course map can be found here:

Other Thoughts: Either one of the two courses here are worth the drive if your coming from out of town, if your local to the area and haven't played its and absolute must.

Very Challenging, heavily wooded course

1    11/4/2008   1/7/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: I played the "Charlotte's Web" layout, and let me tell you, it was one heck of a challenge. I am a novice at best, throwing less than one year, but I like to play the tougher courses, even though I don't score well.

This course is a very good combination of the "natural" feel as well as being well laid out and having clear, well-defined fairways.

Facilities are very good, with restrooms, water fountains, trash cans, etc readily available.

There are some open holes, but most are fairly heavily wooded with tight fairways, which I really like.

My favorites on the course:
1 - Love the tight mando off the tee, really forces you to throw accurately, then hard dogleg left and back into the woods to the pin.
2 - Mostly open, but DO NOT go way left, the foliage is MAJOR pain to get through to find and errant disc (ask me how I know), and be careful shooting at the pin, the water is just behind it.
3 - Major distance through the woods around a huge horseshoe to the right, then into the open.
4 - Nice open hole throwing from the woods out into the open.
8 - Tight wooded fairway, with basket on an elevated bank at the end.
9 - Seemingly simple, but a tree across the fairway keeps you from skipping up close to the basket, then the pin is on a 5-foot mound, THEN elevated several feet on a pole. Tough putt!
14 - You have to hit an approximately 4 foot gap about 100 feet out to stay in the fairway, NOT easy, then shoot UP at the basket.

I really like how the front and back 9 both play back to the parking lot. The baskets are all in excellent condition, very nice Innova's.

I loved playing this course, I just wish I had gotten to play when the weather was better, and that I hadn't lost my First Run Boss on hole 11 (luckily it was just returned to me by a very nice local that found it).
Cons: Sometimes course navigation is tough, but the course map helps tremendously. The only ones I had trouble finding was the route from hole 1 basket to hole 2 tee, and took me a bit to find the hole 3 tee back in the woods, to the left of the pavillion.
Other Thoughts: This course should be a must-play if you're in the charlotte area, just watch the water, and i'm sure in the summer you would need liberal amounts of bug spray, but the terrain is not too difficult to traverse. Also bring plenty of water, if you're not that great a player (like me) it will take you a few hours to get through the Web layout.

The Ole Bee Sting

2-4    11/13/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: governmentthief
Pros: Beautiful Park. One of the best maintained courses Ive played. The front nine is mostly open and gives a chance for some good scoring early. Holes 1 through 6 are fairly easy, nothing crazy although hole 2 has some length for a par 3. Hole 7 is a long open hole dogleg right. Need a strong arm for that one. Once you hit hole 8 though, things get interesting. Trees, trees, trees. 8 requires some good accuracy and has a crazy basket placement on a treacherous plateau. 9 is a short straight shot but has an elevated basket that will kill you if you miss a putt. The back nine are pretty much all tight wooded holes. 12 is a beast that requires a good accurate throw to find the opening to a 90 degree turn to the right which still needs another 250+ to reach the basket. 14 is just mean. A short hole with a ridiculously tight alleyway to throw through. 15 is a blind shot with two openings (one for sidearm and one for backhand) over and down a hill. 18 is probably the only open hole on the back nine requiring a good annie/sidearm shot to a basket near the parking lot. Well setup course fairly easy to navigate with the exception of a couple for holes (print a map just in case). Overall my favorite course in Charlotte. It's a beautiful course in a beautiful park.
Cons: Not much to complain about.
Other Thoughts: Be careful on holes5, 6 and 7, and watch for cars before you throw. Nice bathrooms near the beginning of the course.