Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #3 Tee (web layout): A long fairway that makes a u-shape back toward the original basket.

The Nest

5+    10/1/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: A lot of hard work has went into making this one of the better courses in NC. There are 2 layouts here that offer different challenges. The original layout is a par 58 that will challenge intermediate. The web layout is a par 69 that will challenge most anyone's game. There isn't much elevation in this park, but what is there is used on the course. I think anyone could find something to love here. The front nine is mainly wide open, with many chances to air out your disc. The back nine is tight and wooded. There are benches on most holes and there are tee signs a plenty usually showing both layouts. There are 20 holes here, 2 completely seperate holes for the web layout on the back nine(11 and 18). There are a couple of holes where water comes into play, #2 web and #5, behind the baskets. There are clean restrooms and water fountains right by holes 1, 10 and 18. There is also a water fountain between 2 and 3. One of my favorite things about this course is the variety of holes here. Long, short, right, tight, open and even a lefty or 2. The park is open until 11pm, making it one of the few where you can play a glo round in the Charlotte area. The park also has really nice tennis courts, several ball fields, many picnic shelters, basketball courts, volleyball and a really cool BMX track. This course is always very clean, minus how nasty the ponds look.
Cons: -Layout on the front 9. Can be confusing for first timers.
-A bit of a walk from 1 to 2, 9 to 10.
-The fairway for 2 and 7 are open and on the weekends get used by other park folks for picnic areas. #2 has been the only hole I've had to skip and is easily made up by the extra holes on the back 9.
-The park road(ob) runs by 5, 6 and 7, you'll have to watch for cars when teeing or throwing from the fairway.
Other Thoughts: I have resisted writing a review for this course because of the HBB factor. This is the closest course to my driveway. But it's just too good a course not to review and recommend to other players. If you are a novice this place may frustrate you, it wasn't designed with you in mind. But if you are serious about improving your game it will teach you alot about shot placement. And it will make you learn to use your mid-range. When I play the original layout I bring a bag heavier on midrange and approach. My review leans toward the original layout, as that is what I play mainly. As my game improves I hope to even out my review with the web layout in mind. With either layout this course is a solid 4 discer, maybe a notch more.

Favorite Hole - #12 Par 5 683'. This hole, in my opinion, is probably the best hole in Charlotte. You have a wide open shot off the tee to a landing zone about 250' away. The hole then takes a dead right hand turn downhill into the woods. You have an open beginning, as it goes downhill it gets tight. You then have an uphill upshot to the hole. Basket is on a hill sloping left when facing the basket from the fairway. If you place your first 2 shots correctly you have an excellent birdie
chance. Get off the fairway and you'll be lucky to par.

Web of Deceit!

2-4    8/8/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Remarkable layout that utilizes a good mix of open park and tight hardwoods. Minor elevation changes add interest in addition to some gnarly elevated baskets by a mad designer. The more open holes are never too open, while the woods holes offer just enough fairway to be honest. Some of the "Charlottes Web"' holes are really a great addition to the challenges here. Pin placements are frequently challenging too. Tee pads are super grippy and baskets well- marked.
Cons: Though the towering elevated pins are interesting, I would prefer to have only one or two on the course. The. Novelty quickly wears off after that. It's best to print a map- it's sometimes confusing to find some tees and the long fairways on the Web (#3 in particular) would create mucho confusion of you've never played the course.
Other Thoughts: I would prefer this on a hot day, as most of the course is in shade. Course was not busy on a hot summer day , but zillions of other people using the park. Vehicles on front nine can be a noise annoyance.

Need To Be Able To Throw A RHBH Fade On This Course!

1    7/18/2009   7/24/2009
Pros: The Hornet's Nest is mega challenging and I'm hearing that Charlotte's Web is even tougher. The course is well maintained with extra long teepads and two sets of baskets. The front nine is more open and the back nine has some seriously tight holes through the woods. To score well on this course you not only to have be able to thtrow straight but you better have a nice fade shot if your a righty. Finally, on the back nine there were a couple of right hyser friendly holes. As a first time player, I appreciate the next tee signs and also a couple of the faded little signs which gives you pointers on how to play the hole. I played early in the morning and almost had the entire park to myself. I was the only one on the course.
Cons: It was a little confusing to navigate in places. I'm not generally a fan of the raised baskets and two in a row is too much. And the extremely raised basket on # 9 is more of a gimmick to me than serious disc golf. On the other hand, the raised basket on # 17 stands out to me as a classic hole with the terrain surrounding it and the slightly, raised basket I liked it a lot but I'm not sure exactly which course it belonged to. The two courses overlapping each other probably messed me up some. A couple of the holes were very tight throwing through the woods.
Other Thoughts: I can definitely see the attraction here. If I had a stronger, more accurate arm, I would have enjoyed my experience here much more. But there is no doubt that Charlotte has a wealth of wonderful disc golf courses to play. I stayed here three days and played 18 in those three days. Long grueling days but well worth it.

Glad I finally played it

1    7/11/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: This is a very fun course. Lots of variety, fairly challenging but not a struggle.

Distinct front & back 9s, looping back to parking lot. Front 9 features semi-open holes around ballfields and picnic pavillions; a bit crowded with non-disc-golfers on the summer Saturday I was there. Back 9 is in a beautiful hardwood forest.

Some tight but always fair holes. (Well, almost always). Some tight holes with tough doglegs rewards those who can throw backhand & forehand, as there's not enough width to throw anhyzlers.

One great hole, to my taste---hole 12---but lots of good-to-very-good holes.
Cons: 3 baskets are artificially raised, 2 on poles at the top of already-tall mounds, which may result in some straight-up putts. 1 would be cute; 3 seems a bit gimmicky.

A couple of long walks between holes.
Other Thoughts: I've heard about this course for years and finally saw it, and am glad I did.

Navigation fairly easy, even without a map; only once or twice did we walk off in the wrong direction looking for the next tee.

I didn't play the more challenging "web" layout, which overlaps the normal course, but look forward to it someday.

Definitely didn't sting

2-4    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Everything, this course is hard not to like, unless you're a masochist. Two layouts, great DG scene, nice park (amenities, etc.), well-maintained fairways/course. Great variety of wooded and open. Not a lot of elevation change but more than few raised baskets and mounds make it interesting. Just a fun course, period. I played the original "Nest" layout and I didn't find the layout confusing at all but I printed out a course map. Still, there's enough signage and people playing to get the gist of things. Not really any super tight holes (hole 14 excluded, aptly named the "Gauntlet"). But the combination of length and shape require accuracy to score well. The biggest pro by far is that there is little danger of losing a disc (Ahem, Renny). Concrete tees, signs, etc.
Cons: I wish I had time to play Web b/c it looked as if it had a bit more hole variety, especially the horseshoe on hole 3 but that is neither here nor there. The only cons I can conjure up is that the course itself is not the most excluded being in a decidedly park setting, lacks exquisite natural beauty, and is a flatter course. A family reunion tried to set up a badminton net in front of the basket on hole 1. The park road can come into play on some holes.
Other Thoughts: This is really a 4 but I gave it another .5 disc just b/c it's tons of fun. Holes 17 and 18 are really nice, the former a sweeping hyzer in the woods and the latter a thrilling long turnover hole downhill. The raised basket on # 9 is tall! It's my favorite hole b/c it's quirky, short and open but way up on a post. Little people may not want to play that hole.

hornets nest course reveiw

1    6/14/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Avenger4ThaAce
Pros: very well upkept,nice disc catchers,long holes with justafied pars.
Cons: undefined path confusing for first time players,very mudy when rains ,elevated baskets are poorly located ,water hazards can be overbairing for begginers,hole layout is not corrispondent with path of course.
Other Thoughts: allot of cons but its a matter of opinion so you will have to play and review for yourself.a rather advanced player course but not to difficult to attempt. ONE NATION UNDER PAR!!!

great

5+    6/7/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: chingaling
Pros: great maintnance, the club does a great job keepin it up, risky shots and sharp turns makes this course very eventful and just waiting on those super shots, the course is a top fav. of mine, but i live a good bit away so i do not get to play it alot
Cons: none really, the web is kind of confusing but in all i was pretty happy with it

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Favorite course in Charlotte. Two layouts, Orginal and Web. Web plays about 10-15 strokes harder. Distance and accuracy required as most holes are narrow and over 300'. Take advantage of getting 2's and 3's because you will take a couple of 4's and even 5's on the Web. Highly recommend playing the orginal layout first a few times then stepping up and playing the Web. I personally like the original layout better but occasionally throw the Web just to remind myself how challenging it is.
Cons: Can be a bit confusing with dual tee pads and dual baskets on most holes. Walk from to 1 to 2 is a little long but no big deal.
Other Thoughts: Two baskets per hole. Yellow -- Original. White -- Web.
Favorite Hole -- #12. Great multi-shot hole with second hole shooting gap through woods downhill.
Hardest Hole -- Web #3. Miss the fairway and pay dearly. Play for a 4, pray for a 5.

Amazing

1    5/15/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This is a course that does not have to grow on you. It is good from the start.

I played the original layout early in the day and found it both a challenge and reasonably easy to follow without a map.

You start with a nice and easy throw for 1 than a bit of a walk to 2. Although that is never a bother to me because it is part of why I play to get some exercise.

Two was fun because I got to air one out and got in 3.

Three is a blind dogleg to the left that was needy of some finesse.

Four just required I not screw up my drive.

Five was a bit anxious because I did not want it to go in the water so placement was key.

Six is tight with an OB to the left and right. Be careful here and on 7 because you are next to the road.

Seven was a long turn to the right with a tight fairway because of the road on the left and somewhat thick woods on the right.

Eight was an enjoyable right to left with trees to work around.

Nine was my favorite with its unusual tee that is way up in the air. The basket is on what appears to be a man-made hill and is six feet in the air on top of that. I had to poke my hand through the bottom of the basket to flick my disc out and I'm 6 foot.

Ten will give you fits if you do not drive straight. It is a tight tunnel and then off to the right.

Eleven is a tight turn to the left and my viper negotiated it well. It is again tight though.

Twelve is a little misleading if you go by the sign. There is no short basket to the left. It is about two 300 foot open throws down tight but open fairways. One straight from the tee and another 90 degrees to the right.

Thirteen and fourteen are nice tunnel throws.

Fifteen left me in a predicament because either way you go it really has no good clear avenue but with some finesse you can make it there.

Sixteen is very much like twelve with more trees and to the left.

Seventeen was a bit confusing to find but not bad either. It is a another one through the woods.

Eighteen is a nice finish. It is a thrown over a buried gas line so the throw is relatively open if you can turn over a disc or throw and good annie for us righties.

The facilities are very good with nice bathrooms and even a couple of water fountains you can access easily from the course.
Cons: Not to many. Playing next to the road is something you have to be leary of on 6 and 7. A marshy area to the left of 6 will be a lost disc if it goes there. On 4 and 5 you are near some ball fields, playgrounds and picnic areas please be careful. Some more signs would help on a couple of baskets.

If you are a first time player try somewhere else first unless you have someone to coach you or you may get frustrated here.
Other Thoughts: Overall a wonderful experience. There is evidence of work being done to improve the course and add some concrete tees for the "Charlotte's Web" part of the course.

I highly recommend this course.

Epic Charlotte Course

5+    4/27/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: AMAZING! Legit par 4's and 5's.
Hole 7 (par 4) is awesome, and Par 5 hole 12 is one of my favorite in Disc golf.
Hornets Nest will test you with plenty of technical stuff, and plenty of big stuff. Often times those two things happen at the same time.
Cons: Its a city, last time I played at Carolina Clash (08) 4 cars were broken into right at the green for 18 and the Tee Pad for 10. Keep valuables out of sight and it will be good to go.
Other Thoughts: Hornets Nest is on my top 5 and has not moved from that position since I played it the first time - (the day baskets went in). After 250 courses, it is still on the top 5 list.
If your feeling froggy, dont forget to play the Web Layout - Abundant par diversity!!!!