Charlotte, NC
Hornets Nest Park Share
Hole #12 Tee (original layout)

Amazing

1    5/15/2009   5/22/2009
Review By: Disc Dog
Pros: This is a course that does not have to grow on you. It is good from the start.

I played the original layout early in the day and found it both a challenge and reasonably easy to follow without a map.

You start with a nice and easy throw for 1 than a bit of a walk to 2. Although that is never a bother to me because it is part of why I play to get some exercise.

Two was fun because I got to air one out and got in 3.

Three is a blind dogleg to the left that was needy of some finesse.

Four just required I not screw up my drive.

Five was a bit anxious because I did not want it to go in the water so placement was key.

Six is tight with an OB to the left and right. Be careful here and on 7 because you are next to the road.

Seven was a long turn to the right with a tight fairway because of the road on the left and somewhat thick woods on the right.

Eight was an enjoyable right to left with trees to work around.

Nine was my favorite with its unusual tee that is way up in the air. The basket is on what appears to be a man-made hill and is six feet in the air on top of that. I had to poke my hand through the bottom of the basket to flick my disc out and I'm 6 foot.

Ten will give you fits if you do not drive straight. It is a tight tunnel and then off to the right.

Eleven is a tight turn to the left and my viper negotiated it well. It is again tight though.

Twelve is a little misleading if you go by the sign. There is no short basket to the left. It is about two 300 foot open throws down tight but open fairways. One straight from the tee and another 90 degrees to the right.

Thirteen and fourteen are nice tunnel throws.

Fifteen left me in a predicament because either way you go it really has no good clear avenue but with some finesse you can make it there.

Sixteen is very much like twelve with more trees and to the left.

Seventeen was a bit confusing to find but not bad either. It is a another one through the woods.

Eighteen is a nice finish. It is a thrown over a buried gas line so the throw is relatively open if you can turn over a disc or throw and good annie for us righties.

The facilities are very good with nice bathrooms and even a couple of water fountains you can access easily from the course.
Cons: Not to many. Playing next to the road is something you have to be leary of on 6 and 7. A marshy area to the left of 6 will be a lost disc if it goes there. On 4 and 5 you are near some ball fields, playgrounds and picnic areas please be careful. Some more signs would help on a couple of baskets.

If you are a first time player try somewhere else first unless you have someone to coach you or you may get frustrated here.
Other Thoughts: Overall a wonderful experience. There is evidence of work being done to improve the course and add some concrete tees for the "Charlotte's Web" part of the course.

I highly recommend this course.

Epic Charlotte Course

5+    4/27/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: AMAZING! Legit par 4's and 5's.
Hole 7 (par 4) is awesome, and Par 5 hole 12 is one of my favorite in Disc golf.
Hornets Nest will test you with plenty of technical stuff, and plenty of big stuff. Often times those two things happen at the same time.
Cons: Its a city, last time I played at Carolina Clash (08) 4 cars were broken into right at the green for 18 and the Tee Pad for 10. Keep valuables out of sight and it will be good to go.
Other Thoughts: Hornets Nest is on my top 5 and has not moved from that position since I played it the first time - (the day baskets went in). After 250 courses, it is still on the top 5 list.
If your feeling froggy, dont forget to play the Web Layout - Abundant par diversity!!!!

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

5+    8/20/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this courses stack up (I am counting this as a 36 hole course):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

Awesome Course!

2-4    4/9/2009   4/9/2009
Review By: Youngblood
Pros: Awesome course spread out over Hornets Nest Park. A wide variety of shots will need to be used to score well on this course. Course is laid out well with some hidden gems that can throw a kink in your game quickly. This park also features 2 distinct courses that can a host a wide variety of playing skills. Elevated tees and extremely tight wooded fairways will challenge even the best of players to make their shots in par. Elevated tees and a serene backdrop makes this one of Charlotte's finest courses. The park hosts a wide variety of recreational bliss including a pro BMX track. The park does host clean bathrooms and Security is present often. Every hole does host a cement tee and the course ends right near where it began. The baskets are in good condition and there are helpful signs to point you to the next hole. Although this park is not in the best part of town every player I have encountered were friendly and helpful. One even helped us search for a lost disc that took almost 15 minutes to find. Tournaments are often held at this course.
Cons: Course can be confusing to play if your playing for the first time if you don't have a map. Hole 7 is missing a tee on the original course so we just played the tee for the other course and that still got us in the right direction. Course can get moderately muddy after a rain. Many tee markers are missing. Like I mentioned earlier this course is not in the best area of town so I would not leave anything valuable in your car within site.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course a few times and did not want to write a review on the course until a fair judgment could be made regarding it. I had an awesome time playing this course and found it very fulfilling and challenging. You will need to use a plethora of shots in order to score well. This is one of the top rated courses in Charlotte and that title is well deserved! If possible come and check this course out it will be worth the drive. While not as challenging as the monster "Renny" course located only minutes away you will be satisfied upon completion of this course!

charlottes web

1    3/19/2009   3/25/2009
Review By: Myers
This review was updated on 4/2/2010
Pros: This course (the web layout) is one of the most beautiful and well designed courses I have played. Every shot in my bag was used. backhand forehand, thumber, anyhyzer, stalls. you name it. Elevated pins also add to the challenge and beauty of the course. a great mix of mostly open holes and shorter technical holes. The holes were fair with a designated fairway with risk reward on most holes. Mandos are in place on some holes to ensure you use the fairway. there is plenty to do in the park besides disc golf. The course has 2 loops that start and finish next to the parking lot... 1-9 and 10-18 which makes a half round an option if you don't have enough time. I left this course on cloud nine.
Cons: almost none. the only issue i had was a bit of confusion with it being my first time. The baskets being shared by the nest and web course can make you unsure where to throw. i can only guess that the holes shared will back up during busy times but when i played it flowed nicely
Other Thoughts: This course immediately went to the top of my list. There is only one other course I have played that when I left I was in awe. This course left me nothing but ecstatic. I was passing thru from Ohio on a 12 hour trip and it was well worth every minute that it delayed my trip. simply awesome

Review of Hornets Nest (Original & Web)

2-4    3/7/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 3/23/2009
Pros: Good challenge with open & wooded shots. Clean multi-use wooded park setting. Clean bathrooms. Practice basket. Drinking fountains. Benches on most holes. Hole #9 finishes at the parking lot. Extra "web" holes add to the experience & challenges the pro throwers in the group.
Cons: Some foot traffic on holes 5, 6 & 7. These holes also play along the main road into the park so auto traffic could be a problem on busy days.
Other Thoughts: With two courses in one place this park offers a lot of variety for all who visit.

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: the front nine is fun and kinda open, a lil water on one hole, and creative.
Cons: the back nine is just stupid, i think very poorly designed and lazy, i also think its so challenging on some holes you cant throw with out hitting a tree like 12.
Other Thoughts: the front nine makes me wanna go and the back makes me never wanna go back

Beautiful challenging course

5+    2/6/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: THORNBURG
Pros: One of the best courses you will step on 1)Its maintained magnificently
2)Its very big
3)Very challenging
4)Not many give me birdies
Cons: My only gripe i have is that you never no how well you'll play you'll be having a great day but get tree raped numerous of times AND THE TOURNEMENTS IN CHARLOTTE DON'T OFFER ANYTHING FOR PRIZES
Other Thoughts: MUST PLAY COURSE

1    6/1/2006   2/13/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 2/15/2009
Pros: Scenic course, I especially love the look of the front- lush fairways, nice trees. Great tee signs. Challenging course with good variety. This is one of the more famed courses around and a must play for any serious disc golfer if you get a chance.
Cons: Some holes are spread by a longer walk and hard to spot the next tee- use the map. Road comes into play a couple of times- watch for cars and scuffed up discs!
Other Thoughts: I was unaware of the Web layout when I played here. I just played the Nest and it alone made for an excellent round of DG. I would definitely come back and play the Nest again, as well as giving the Web a try!

Great Course

5+    12/23/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: This course,especiallly when you factor in Web, gives you every variety of shot you would want. There is long turnover shots, technical placement shots, hyzers, deuce or die holes and several air it out oppurtunities. Nest/Web is one of the best designed courses in Charlotte and designed by one of the best course designers in Stan McDaniel. Add all of this with the fact that the course is extremely well maintained and it has two bathrooms and water fountains throughout the front nine gives the course a good argument of being the best in Charlotte.
Cons: Webs layout could be difficult for first time players. A course map can be found here:

Other Thoughts: Either one of the two courses here are worth the drive if your coming from out of town, if your local to the area and haven't played its and absolute must.