Watertown, WI
Rock River DGC Share
Uploaded By: imoser_me Hole #15 (Taken 8/2010)
3 / 201ft.   3 / 225ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #15 Am Tee

Was good course but could be much better

1    7/2/2011   7/3/2011
Review By: iabengalfan
Pros: The course contained both easier hole layouts for the beginners out there and tougher layouts for the more experienced players. The buggs were not TOO bad on the course for playing at dusk. The fairways were well maintained and the hazzards were placed in good spots too keep a challenge.
Cons: The course was not marked well and was hard too find the tee box for some holes.
Other Thoughts: There was open spots near the course too practice ur throwing and there was a bathroom and drink machine nearby.

Prepare for mosquitos

1    9/5/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: Byteme62
Pros: Variety of course layout means rarely the same shot twice. Decent location. The Beauty (front 9) and the Beast (back 9) really provides variety.
Cons: Back 9 drastically needs hole markings. Even after downloading the photos, it was challenging to find the holes without giving up too much blood to mosquitos.
Really could use improvement on the tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: Seriously consider printing out the photos for the back 9 or you may find yourself spending time wondering.
Note that the photos are identified as 1 to 18, but they renumber the back 9 starting at 1 again.

Could be better

5+    7/5/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: koogs
Pros: These two courses should really be reviewed as separate 9's because they are completely separate and very different, but I'll do them as an 18 to save space. Most of the holes have 2 tees. Good mix of short and long, between 213 and 455 from long tees. Most of the front nine are open, while the back nine are either on the edge of the woods or go right through. Slight elevation change on front nine, more on back nine. The back nine are definitely the more interesting of the two halves, and the riskier as far as losing a disc in the woods--much underbrush. About half a dozen holes require a forehand or anny. Hole 15 is the best hole of the bunch -- a long, left turning dogleg in the middle of the woods. Some benches and trash cans scattered around. There is a practice basket also.
Cons: The gravel tee pads are not good. They are prone to getting churned up from the planting and pivoting of feet and some of them are currently washing away because they are not bordered by anything. Tee 1 is absolutely horrible. Holes 1-3 are currently very soggy, with standing water on hole 1. The back nine still has no signs, only small stakes in the ground, and some of those are still missing. If it's your first time there, you might have a hard time navigating
This course is in the same shape it was in when I first played it last September. There have been no improvements since then, other than second tee pads on 3 of the holes. I keep hearing about a big expansion here, but no sign of it, and the maintenance of what is already here is somewhat lacking, mainly in the tee pads and signage.

B = Better Than Average

1    4/16/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

2 Completely different 9's. Disconnected from each other too.

2-4    7/17/2011   3/28/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Front (OLD) 9 and back (NEW) 9 are two totally different animals. The first (OLD) 9 is wide open for the most part through prairie grass and wetland areas. Fairly flat except for #1 downhill and #8 going back up hill. Back (NEW) 9 is along a wooded forest for half of the holes and inside the woods for the other half of the holes. Nice contrast!

2) Front 9 is very beginner friendly. Back 9 is much longer and not as beginner friendly, because of how densely wooded it is.

3) Back 9 has two sets of tees although there isn't much difference between the two sets of tees in terms of difficulty only shortening up the course a little.

4) Nice baskets on the entire course and the old 9 has decent signage. A post in the ground to mark the tee and a little distance marker flush in the ground, a nice touch but tough to see sometimes.

5) The two nines are very different in their distances, but within each 9, the holes remain pretty consistent.

6) Front 9 has concrete tees in by now and I think all of the back 9 except for a hole or maybe two on the back 9. That will help his course tremendously!
Cons: 1) New 9 is still obviously in construction. Tees are marked only with utility flags and no directional signs to move you from hole to hole let alone a sign telling you where the 1st new hole is (Thats why I did the crude google earth map.) We got all turned around today, we found the 9th basket first so we walked backwards, ended up playing from #8 tee to #7 basket which is a pretty good hole we thought. Then we kept walking and saw two flags down furher and assumed those were the tees for the basket we had just played too, so we turned around, started on #7, played 8, and then got all lost again. The crude map should help new people!!!!

2) Tee areas are only ok, they are simply mowed areas off to the side of the ski-trails. Not a lot of mud on them, but they are only ok, some are on uneven turf.

3) Wooded (New 9) section of the course is very challenging, lots of trees in your way but on most shots you can find a clean pathway.

4) #5 on the old course is a horrible layout. It needs some type of fairway, but you are shooting across and down 3-4 rows of trees from an old tree nursery and they are tall. There is almost no way to get to the basket in 2 without two perfect shots, assuming you line up directly to an opening. I would like to see a handful of trees taken out to make a more clearly defined route. You can go straight down the one row the tee is on, and then shoot straight through the 3-4 rows of trees, and that is the perfect way, but you need pinpoint accuracy to hit the 8' gap to the basket.

5) All of the ski and multiuse trails can get confusing, so on the first 9 look for the next tee posts at all times. On the new 9, hopefully they will get at the very least some directional signs and posts to signify the tees.
Other Thoughts: I can't grade this course too harshly because 9 holes are very new and still being worked on. When the tee signs and some directional signs get put in this course will step up at least 1/2 notch maybe a full notch. I also was a little unsure about a few of the wooded holes with trees lying down, they are cool to have as obstacles but also a pain in the butt to walk and climb over.

Some people have said skip the New 9, I say print out my google earth map on the links section and play it, it is a lot of fun if you know where you are going!

I will update my rating and review when I hear that the signs have been put in.