Watertown, WI
Rock River DGC Share
Uploaded By: imoser_me Hole #14 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #14 Approach

1 2 Next >
 Good, could be great

5+    6/20/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: Tradisc
Pros: Dual tee pads on most holes.
Different hole types.
Great club that runs the course.
Cons: Dirt tee pads.
No signs.
Back 9 still needs some trimming to open up the lines a bit. (hole 6 could be the best hole in the area with some trimming)
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I really think that it can be a great course and rival anything in madison with some work. THe watertown park and rec havent been much help to us most of the work has been done by the rock river disc club.

5+    6/3/2010   6/3/2010
Review By: Omnibot
Pros: ~ 18 holes on a course that's nicely set up
~ Front 9 and Back 9 are two far different courses
~ Good mix of hole sizes and types
~ Gravel tees on front 9 (pro tees included on most holes)
~ Easy to find and access
~ The club and leagues are great here!
Cons: ~ Needs concrete or pads for all holes
~ Back 9 is a bit of a challenge on a hole or two to navigate if you are new to the course and solo
~ A bit of a walk between 7 and where the back 9 starts, easier to play that first then hit 8 & 9
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is very nice. Once they have more cash i'm sure more will be done but since this is club run they need people to show up for leagues to help the funds grow. More members = better things!

League Info:
~ Thursdays 5:30pm & Sunday Noon
~ Random doubles, ace pool - Great for novice players since you have a chance to cash

B = Better Than Average

1    4/16/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

2 Completely different 9's. Disconnected from each other too.

2-4    7/17/2011   3/28/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Front (OLD) 9 and back (NEW) 9 are two totally different animals. The first (OLD) 9 is wide open for the most part through prairie grass and wetland areas. Fairly flat except for #1 downhill and #8 going back up hill. Back (NEW) 9 is along a wooded forest for half of the holes and inside the woods for the other half of the holes. Nice contrast!

2) Front 9 is very beginner friendly. Back 9 is much longer and not as beginner friendly, because of how densely wooded it is.

3) Back 9 has two sets of tees although there isn't much difference between the two sets of tees in terms of difficulty only shortening up the course a little.

4) Nice baskets on the entire course and the old 9 has decent signage. A post in the ground to mark the tee and a little distance marker flush in the ground, a nice touch but tough to see sometimes.

5) The two nines are very different in their distances, but within each 9, the holes remain pretty consistent.

6) Front 9 has concrete tees in by now and I think all of the back 9 except for a hole or maybe two on the back 9. That will help his course tremendously!
Cons: 1) New 9 is still obviously in construction. Tees are marked only with utility flags and no directional signs to move you from hole to hole let alone a sign telling you where the 1st new hole is (Thats why I did the crude google earth map.) We got all turned around today, we found the 9th basket first so we walked backwards, ended up playing from #8 tee to #7 basket which is a pretty good hole we thought. Then we kept walking and saw two flags down furher and assumed those were the tees for the basket we had just played too, so we turned around, started on #7, played 8, and then got all lost again. The crude map should help new people!!!!

2) Tee areas are only ok, they are simply mowed areas off to the side of the ski-trails. Not a lot of mud on them, but they are only ok, some are on uneven turf.

3) Wooded (New 9) section of the course is very challenging, lots of trees in your way but on most shots you can find a clean pathway.

4) #5 on the old course is a horrible layout. It needs some type of fairway, but you are shooting across and down 3-4 rows of trees from an old tree nursery and they are tall. There is almost no way to get to the basket in 2 without two perfect shots, assuming you line up directly to an opening. I would like to see a handful of trees taken out to make a more clearly defined route. You can go straight down the one row the tee is on, and then shoot straight through the 3-4 rows of trees, and that is the perfect way, but you need pinpoint accuracy to hit the 8' gap to the basket.

5) All of the ski and multiuse trails can get confusing, so on the first 9 look for the next tee posts at all times. On the new 9, hopefully they will get at the very least some directional signs and posts to signify the tees.
Other Thoughts: I can't grade this course too harshly because 9 holes are very new and still being worked on. When the tee signs and some directional signs get put in this course will step up at least 1/2 notch maybe a full notch. I also was a little unsure about a few of the wooded holes with trees lying down, they are cool to have as obstacles but also a pain in the butt to walk and climb over.

Some people have said skip the New 9, I say print out my google earth map on the links section and play it, it is a lot of fun if you know where you are going!

I will update my rating and review when I hear that the signs have been put in.

@!$#ing

2-4    11/1/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: thenamesben
This review was updated on 11/22/2008
Pros: Good use of elevation, good mix of short and long pins. Good beginner course, unless you can't throw straight.
Cons: Many holes are pretty much the same: throw through a row of trees. Granted the course is on an old tree nursery, but still. Short holes are pretty short.
Other Thoughts: This site lists Rock River as having 18 holes, but the new 9 are no where near being completed. The pins are in the ground but good luck finding the tees. My group just gave up after the first two new holes, we had much better courses planned for the rest of the day.

new back 9 WOW

2-4    9/23/2008   9/23/2008
Review By: old discer
Pros: Lots of woods and brush Blind holes and down and uphill shots. very well laid out well use of land. Serveral holes corn on one side 5ft tall weeds on the other. Very tight.
Cons: Still needs work. no real signs up yetbut someone sprayed painted arrows and hole numbers on the ground. Only grass tees right now.
Other Thoughts: Im a beginner but did ok very difficult course but very fun. Thanks John for a great course. Had a blast shooting with you guys

1 2 Next >