Davenport, IA
Eastern Avenue Park Share
Uploaded By: xsjunkie Hole #14 (Taken 4/2010)
4 / 440ft.   4 / 511ft.   4 / --   4 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #14 Am Tee

Flat and open

5+    10/2/2010   10/8/2010
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Park setting type course. Very nice paved walkbike path. Some open areas that occasionally get used for other activities. Bathrooms and soda machine near parking lot. Exercise area by 18. Park is maintained well.

Duel concrete tees. Tee signs on both the Am and Pro tees with hole # and distance information. Trash cans at almost every Am tee. A few benches to rest on through the course, but usually just becomes some place to put my bag.

Creek used as water hazards on multiple holes.

Besides distance, it is a fairly beginner friendly course as there isn't many obstacles.
Cons: Course is pretty flat, maybe a couple of mounds here and there but not much else.

Tee signs didn't have any layouts on them. Honestly it wasn't needed on most of the holes, but still would have been nice.

Course is a little broke up, almost like a few separate courses. One point crossing a bridge to get to 10 and 11, then crossing the road to get to 12 - 18.

Many parts of the course can have standing water. This is very noticeable during the spring, as 12 - 15 are usually under water.

Most holes feel like the last one you just threw. Not much for variation here.
Other Thoughts: Playing from the Am tees: 13 holes over 300', 3 of those being over 400' and 1 over 500'.
Playing from the Pro tees: 15 holes over 400', 4 of those being over 500', and 2 over 600'.
By far not the longest in the area, but with that said, as flat and open as the course is, it's still pretty long for newbies or youngsters.

A couple of holes worth discussing: Hole 3 is left to right hole with the creek on the right. There is a grouping of trees with a window that you have to either play short and lie up or try to get through the window. The drop off to the creek is straight up and down, so be careful. If I was brave, I'd throw right to left hyzer over the creek for the deuce, but I'm not that confident in my shot placement. I also like hole 5, because I tell myself if I can land on the mound with the big tree, I'm sitting good with a deuce chance.

Although the course can get sort of repetitive, I still don't mind playing it. Especially if I am in the area and don't want to play a wooded or hilly course (example: family goes shopping and I don't want to look at wife and kids clothing, I go disc golfing instead, but I can't get super sweaty or dirty).

Eastern Average

1    8/29/2010   9/13/2010
Pros: 1) Beginner friendly but still exposes to newbies to challenge in their basket locations, length, and even a little bit of water risk/reward.

2) Dual Concrete tees are in good condition and fairly large.

3) Signs are nice with distance and course par listed as well as hole #. They are nice and big and fairly large. A couple had some vandalism on them but all in all not bad for the busiest course in the Quad Cities.

4) Garbage cans available multiple places through the course. I don't remember if they were every hole or not but I do remember multiple baskets.

5) The creek is used well on a few holes to bring it slightly into play. Hole #3, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15. It isn't in play from both tees all the time but some of the short tees still have the water in play.

6) Practice basket is available and they even have it set up as a practice hole on the map. I didnt even look for the tee but maybe I should have played it.

7) Bathrooms, water, and soda machine available at the parking lot.

8) Nice park overall with some walking trails, but fortunately the course stays away from the other areas of the park where non disc golfers might be. This is always appreciated in a well designed course.
Cons: 1) Very busy, can be good can be bad, but it is all prety casual players as it appeared to me. That seemed wierd becuase it was freaking hot like 90-95 and humid. I wouldnt expect so many casual players out in that heat and humidity. We had to wait many times for people in front of us. One of them was a little ADD kid plying with what looked to be his older brother and girlfriend and man this kid was throwing stuff at the baskets, hitting the basket with a branch, throwing 15 putts from 20 feet away at full speed trying to hit the chains. Thankfully he missed them all or he might have done damage. He didnt even care his group went ahead and played the last hole without him nor did he care at all that I was sitting there waiting for him to move out of the way. He did see me and didnt care that I was waiting.

2) Very flat and wide open for the most part. This is the con of this course I think because there is plenty of property just not enough obstacles. I wish there were more trees planted to create some more obstacles.

3) Segmented park broken into like 4 sections. There is a long walk from 1 to 2, 4 to 5 crosses the railroad tracks, 8 to 9 goes across a bridge and is a fair walk, 9 to 10 is a long walk across the parking lot and bridge that crosses the creek. 11 to 12 you actually might need to go to the stoplight because that road was super busy. Then you have to walk back to the lot from 18. I assume this is why someone came up with the practice basket being the 19th hole. It gets you closer to your car.

4) No Diagram on the teesigns. It isnt a huge deal because there aren't really many blind holes where you couldnt figure out the tree, but I do like a diagram on the signs.

5) I don't remember any holes where an anhyzer was needed. I threw one on #4 only because I had the wind there, but a hyzer was a good shot still. I like a little more variety in shot selection on a given course.

6) Almost completely flat. I don't think you go up or down more than 5-10 feet on any given hole.
Other Thoughts: I did enjoy this course but it was super busy. It didn't really challenge much except for distance. There was not a lot of variety in shot selection but it did have some good basket placement. I would go back if I wanted to work on my driving because you certainly can learn a thing or two on the openness of his course. The amenities are decent. I played with a nice local guy but got stuck behind a couple inconsiderate locals too. Overall i say this course is just average, but there is enough fun to be had here for me to give it a 3 disc rating. I just can't lump it in with my other 2.5 discers.