Corbett, OR
Rooster Rock - East Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #1 (Taken 12/2013)
Hole #1 Approach

both ends of bell curve(2)

1    6/27/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Dadio
Pros: This is the other 9 hole course in Rooster Rock State park and they couldn't be more different! This nine also has a sign at the beginning showing the whole 9 but that is only sign. Pads are well done and course is fairly well worn in so not too hard to follow.
Variety of shots are needed and there are quite a few elevation changes with a couple shots across a ravine. Blind shots with lots of vegetation add to challenge.
Cons: Vegetation on blind shots ups chance of losing disc higher than I like. Fortunately my wife was along and played spotter for me. I wouldn't play this course without one.
Elevation change, while cool, here it means you are going up and down very steep dirt/clay paths w/o steps of any kind. It was raining when we were out and more dangerous than I would have liked.
Know what poison oak looks like, the odds of ending up in some are fairly high.
Other Thoughts: While this was a neat course, especially when contrasted with west course, for price of entry there are other courses close that give a similar experience but better done.
Rating is with caveat that this is a very tough hilly wooded course. Player beware. :-)

East end is for me!

1    1/31/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Challenging and technical. Hole 4 has been reviewed but my two cents worth is- this hole is too fun. Hole 3 very long and tight. Eight holes have their own challenge, Number 1 is pretty straight forward.
Cons: It is winter so some baskets have been moved (well I'm guessing it is because of winter.) My map helped except for where Hole 1's basket was and how to get to Hole 2's pad after that it was okay. Huge tree blocking the path to Hole 4's basket...it makes it tough for older players...crawling is not my thing.
Other Thoughts: I liked playing this end after I had played the west end. Night and day different courses. Would I play this one twice and say that is my 18? No...I liked the two together. Hole 4 was fun! Steep path down to it and then a very large tree to crawl or climb over. :)

Technical

1    6/15/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
Pros: Technical and challenging.

This is a nice hike that would be worth checking out even if there wasn't a course on it.

Hole 4. The tee is on a cliff the basket is at the bottom. Very interesting to throw.
Cons: Unforgiving. If you mess up a throw your disc is going to be in some thick rough.

Even though they aren't super far you can't see the baskets from most of the tees.
Other Thoughts: Get your fairway drivers out. You won't be ripping it off the tee at any point. If you want to rip it you can head over to the other 9 which is open and basically the polar opposite of this 9 making for an interesting overall 18.

Use a spotter if possible.

Challenge in the Woods

1    11/6/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: CraigInPortland
Pros: A typical hiking path based course layout with very tight lines from tee to basket. A fun quick hike by itself, it has well maintained trails with cement tees. Heavily wooded paths and low ceilings, plus the sometimes major elevation changes define this style of trail based course. The underbrush on the hills can also eat up discs that miss the fairway by as little as a foot. Technical lines force different throwing styles. Highly enjoyable for the finesse player with occasional need for a spotter and those who like beautiful hikes and views of the Columbia River gorge.
Cons: Requires tight controlled shots in heavily wooded trails and thick underbrush that can eat up stray discs. Spotter recommended.
Other Thoughts: When combined with the beginner friendly and mostly wide open west course, this makes for a quick and beautiful 18 holes. The technical challenges may be too intimidating for new players.

Technical, Challenging, Awesome

1    7/18/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: DiscAddict22
Pros: This course has a lot to offer. It is set in some awesome woods, lots of trees and elevation. The holes all have their own unique feel, which makes it hard to get bored here. Hole one is the only hole to let rip, try to get to the large path at the far end of the tree line for a good approach. Hole 4 I would say is the signiture hole, about a 175 ft horizontal, but about 120 vertical drop! Challenges even the best of players on most holes. You will be forced to throw shots you may have never tried before, or give you lines that are way out of your.comfort zone. It is nice and secluded, so dont worry about big waits, and the difficulty will definately keep the rif raf away.
Cons: This course can be brutal. Miss throw by even a foot and you could be completely out of play for an approach, or lost in the dense brush. I would reccomend a spotter if you have a few people with you. As most of the tee shots are blind, I found myself having to hike up the fairway to find out where I was going, which is a pain, but with noone rushing behind you its not bad since most pins are visable from 50 feet past the tee.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the mood for a challenging 9 holes this is the ticket. Low ceiling shots, teeshots over hills and tight lines and fairways abound. The course seems to be wearing itself into the landscape, in a year or so I could see the fairways opening up a little and the course being much more forgiving.

secluded

5+    7/30/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: zombie41
Pros: * Good cement tees.
* Great baskets
* Easy to navigate
* immaculate bathrooms on site
* never gets that crowded
* Benches and some trash cans
* no wind, exept hole 1.
* lots of trees and elevation
* Fun obsticles (downed tree on hole 5, bombs away on hole 4, drive over a chasm on hole 7.
* hole 4,5,6,7 are all pretty easy to birdie, for making up strokes on 1,3,8, which are pretty easy to double bogey.
Cons: * No Tee signs
* Almost every hole is a blind tee shot.
* The only holes to bomb it on are 1,3,8. The rest are very short. 3,8 require pinpiont accuracy off the tee.
* Hole 8,9 don't throw to the left, there is a steep cliff with 6 foot tall stinging nettles.
* hole 8 should be par 4.
* Stinging nettles and underbrush, (throw low, and spot your discs.)
* $5 to park, but I recommend getting a year pass for $30, you can play at all of oregons state parks including, Rooster, Dabney, Milo, Dexter, and more.
Other Thoughts: The Number one reason why I spend so much time here is the seclusion. I like taking my time and kicking a couple back while I throw. If you wanna avoid the large groups with no etiquette, and play a rather challenging but rewarding course, this is it.

Stick to the west course!

1    4/8/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 11/24/2010
Pros: Hole number five is fun.
Tee pads are concrete.
Baskets are in good shape.
Navigation is simple.
Two courses on site.
Elevation comes in to play.
Cons: Even in winter/early spring there is so much under brush and so little fairway that hunting for discs is almost on a throw by throw basis. There are a couple of baskets placed on the side of cliffs and the basket as well as the cliffs can't be seen from the tee box so you have no idea of this when you throw your tee shot, in fact every hole on the course with the exception of hole four is a blind pin.

I'm usually not one who whines about too much luck but there are not many holes to this course that are skilled throws. You can make a perfect shot and hit the fairway (a two foot wide walking path) and watch the disc skip three feet into the bushes and either be looking for it for fifteen minutes or be behind a tree or whatever but you will be in a bush and praying for a three. I'm alright with bad throws getting punished but I'm NOT alright with good throws being punished for no reason.
Other Thoughts: I say avoid this place like the plague and just play Rooster Rock West a couple of times.

A rollercoaster of a course

5+    12/22/2009   2/2/2010
Review By: Oregon_Nole
Pros: *Trees, I love me some trees, and there's some good ones.
*Elevation, ups, downs, ups and downs.....
*Easy navigation
*Seclusion
*# 4 is a great Top of the World putter shot, i'm not a huge fan of walking uphill, but I get a smile on my face ever time i'm on the walk out (or walk up...) from 3 to 4...
*This course MAKES you hit lines, and slaps you around if you miss...
Cons: * # 3.... Some people think the idea of hitting a six-foot window is fun, I'm not one of them. Oh, and if you do hit the window (emphasis on IF), the fun has just begun, you get to deal with a low, narrow tunnel to a protected pin.... Just take your four or five and walk up the hill...
*Seclusion.... I know I listed this as a Pro, but for some reason, I get a real weird feeling if I'm playing hear alone, like I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. Maybe its the fact that its so close to the highway or so close to the nude beach (both seem to be magnets for sketchy characters...)
* Holes 5 and 6 are WAY too short, 6 especially, I think its 120'....
*Lots of stinging nettles and other "mean" plants off the fairway, and believe me, more likely than not, you WILL end up there....
Other Thoughts: This course is such a torrid affair for me. Love, hate, love, hate, throughout the round. It is definitely unique, and there are some real gems in there (#4, #7, #8) but # 3 is so ridiculous, and 6 is pretty lame. Coupled with the fact that the rough is so ROUGH, this course usually leaves me feeling angry.

To get to the course, just turn right after the pay station. Park at the end of that road. The first tee is right off the southeast corner of that lot. The first hole goes across the field, and into the trees. From there, the flow is pretty intuitive. Just keep in mind that after #3, you walk up the hill.....

Are you ready for RR east?

5+    8/31/2009   10/31/2009
Review By: 360DiscGolfer
This review was updated on 1/17/2011
Pros:
- Challenging with high risk/reward shots
- Great flow and easy to play without a map
- Amazing use of elevation
- Unique hole design with lots of variety and no boring holes
- Great cement pads
- Great Mach 5 baskets
- Benches at every hole
- Beautiful scenery
- Very secluded and not windy in the trees
Cons:
- Can be frustrating in the rough
- Errant shots can result in lost plastic
Other Thoughts: I have always considered this course to be very unique and remains one of my favorites. I can understand why people don't like it because of the challenge and frustration but I say go play it again. There is nothing like pulling off that lazer drive down the hallway on hole 3 or floating one down under the basket on hole 4. Team this course up with the west nine and Dabney and you got yourself a great day of disc golf in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge.

Favorite hole: #8 - A 395' side-hill hole with a deep dip in the middle and trees on both sides. Don't go right up the hill but really don't go left into the ravine. This fairway requires a nice finesse shot, preferably a clean left to right landing at the top of the ridge. The only hole with a more treacherous ravine of the course is hole 9.

Mix of Fun and Frustration

2-4    9/13/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 8/25/2010
Pros: The course was fairly navigable without a map. The flow through the woods is kind of fun. The fourth hole is is a great shot straight down off a small cliff. Do you throw a thumber straight down? Risk a lofting forehand? Kind of cool.
Cons: Not beginner friendly at all (my friends brought me here two years ago for my second or third round ever, not cool!). Some of the holes have tunnel or window shots that really aren't reasonable. Can you throw 300 feet through a 5-foot gap with no fade at all? If not, there are a couple holes that may be more annoying than fun, especially when you are trying to throw an escape shot from 25 feet off the fairway. Signs would be helpful; I had to walk down the paths to see where the basket was before teeing off. Also, Rooster Rock feels a bit like a rest area, and there was some rest area creepiness there. Definitely some clientele in the parking lot that didn't seem to be up to any good, and I was leery of leaving my car unattended.
Other Thoughts: The fun factor here varies by the hole. I like wooded, technical courses a lot, even when I'm not that great at them. Holes 4 and 5 are pretty fun, and a few others were cool. But if there is a gap you wouldn't want to try to ride your bike through, it's probably not a "fair" fairway. Unlike Rooster Rock West, this course is worth going out of your way for, but expect a high level of randomness to come into play.