Corbett, OR
Rooster Rock - West Share

Both ends of bell curve(1)

1    6/27/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Dadio
Pros: This is a fairly well done 9 hole course in Rooster Rock State park. There is a sign near hole 1 showing entire course and it was fairly easy to follow. There is a variety of shots but it is all pretty flat and fairly open. There is nice use of river and trees to supply some challenge but even with that it is a pretty easy course.
Cons: No signs on course after opening sign, took some looking to make sure on track. A stop above pitch and putt but a short one. Pleasant but not overly challenging course. If by itself not worth the $5 to get in the park.
Other Thoughts: The contrast between the 2 courses is amazing. Hard to imagine 2 more different courses. Beware going from this to east course, much different!

Good for newbies

1    5/26/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: Skeeterdonk
Pros: As a beginner, this course was fun. The first 4 play along the road to the boat ramp and the last 5 play back along the first 4. The course is simple with concrete tee boxes facing the baskets. Not a lot of challenges if I was consistent with my throws but since I am not there were plenty of trees along the course to throw behind. There is really only one spot, #6, where there is a risk of losing a disc.

The first 4 play great for a RHBH as the road and parking lot are on the right. However, the next 5 present a challenge to both left and right handed players.

Map at #1. This was awesome. I suggest you take a photo of the map with your phone. This will help a lot.

Again, as a beginner, I don't throw 400'+. My throws are probably closer to 300' at best. I was able to throw a Valkyrie (my only driver) off the tee box so this course was perfect. It let me air out a lot of drives.
Cons: $5 entrance fee. This didn't bother me much because we ran to Benson afterwards but for some reason this could be a deterrent. I will be back after I buy the season pass.

Galvanized baskets. If these had bright coloring on them it would have made them easily visible from the tee box.

Maps at each tee box. Until now the tee box markers didn't bother me. However, I found it frustrating that we didn't know how each hole played out. These holes are longer than I usually play and it was hard to find the baskets at the tee box. There were a few times that we couldn't see the baskets and had to walk the fairway to find them. If this was a busy day we would have held up any group behind us.
Other Thoughts: Conditions: It was a partly sunny Sun with not a lot of people. There was no wind and the fairway path was mowed.

If you are a beginner and planning to hit the east and west, I suggest you play the west twice. I got three two into the east and realize it was beyond my ability. The east did look fun but I hit 5 trees on #1 and 5 on #2.

You could also play this and jump to Benson. I suggest Benson if you are a beginner only.

I have only played 4 courses and since I gave Woodland Comm. Church a 3, I have to give this a 2.5.

Nice walk in a park

1    1/31/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Bathrooms, plenty of parking. Great place for a new thrower (if it's not windy). Hole 4 has a great placement for the basket. Hole 6 plays around the end of a body of water and with a few small tree patches makes it the most fun hole on the west course.
Cons: Signs are not the best, so download a map from this site it will help EXcept number 9 which was moved at least 90 degrees to the right from where the map had the basket. If it's windy you need to go play Dabney unless you want the wind challenge. In the winter the park is a mess...after the wind storms it had down branches everywhere...but it is winter.
Other Thoughts: This course the west end of Rooster Park is a good warm up for the east end course. They are totally different and that makes for a fun 18. It would be nice if the Parks Dept. cleaned up the wind mess at least every couple of weeks in the winter.
One more thought...this course in the summer could be very crowded making it harder to play with people everywhere!

1    6/8/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
Pros: Fairly open. Good practice course. Great place to try new discs.

There are some trees to help make it interesting.

Great tees and baskets

Nice mowed fairway. No rough.

Great place to take beginners.

Easy to navigate once you find the first tee.
Cons: Boring. There are some trees, but it feels like a small step up from playing in a field.
Other Thoughts: This course is the exact opposite of the other course. It makes for an interesting 18.

No matter what you like Rooster is worth checking out because there are two very different 9s.

West Is Best

1    4/8/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/29/2012
Pros: Scenic Beauty - There is a lot to look at that makes this place pleasing to play. There is the wonderful mountains with their beautiful waterfalls flowing down right in view of the course as well as the Columbia River if you look North. There is also a little lake I guess you could call it that has a boat ramp and leads into the river.

The Course - The course has a lot of different holes lengths and different kind of challenges. Some of the holes get technical with tree obstacles, hole two comes to mind where it looks like there is no line to the basket and when you get there you realize it's bigger than you thought, a great vision obstacle. Some holes like four, five and six have the basket placed near the little lake with the boat launch near the basket so an errant throw can make you go swimming.
Cons: The main con that I found was finding hole number one and then after that navigation got a lot better though I would say bringing a map helped me out quite a bit and I recommend that you do the same. It plays right next to the freeway and there is a great deal of noise coming from that which can be distracting especially with all of the visual beauty. Those are the only the only cons that come to mind, this is a solid all around disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite by far of the two courses on site. The west course is everything I like about disc golf and the east course I wouldn't even play again. This area is prime for a disc golfing course bagger trip like the one I made just make sure you check out Dabney State Park right up the road.

Typical State Park Course!

7/6/2008   7/13/2008
Pros: This course plays from the middle of the park to the far west end. It's flat and the water comes into play on # 5 & 6. It's a pretty state park on the mighty Columbia River with some awesome views. There's a map at the first hole. It's easy to follow with 5 holes down and four coming back. Just a nice relaxing throw, not a particularily easy course though. There are benches to sit on. Nice concrete teepads.
Cons: # 6 basket sits down maybe 25' from the end of a spit/slough ( I don't know what the hell the proper term is for this chunk of water here ?) It was muddy on July 6, what would it be like in winter? I'd move the basket to a spot a little less flood prone.
Other Thoughts: Play here for your casual, relaxing round, then drive to the other end for your challenging, disc hunting experience. The two combined compliment each other rather nicely.

Waterfall

5/3/2008   5/5/2008
Review By: kevin
Pros: Nice distance practice course.
Cons: Most pins are hidden by one small tree making it a simple course for the most part.
Other Thoughts: The view of the gorge up above is awesome all the time, including the waterfall.