Medina, OH
Roscoe Ewing Park Share
Uploaded By: jcf5083 Hole #7 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #7 Short Tee

Great Volunteers

1    6/5/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: Petercules
Pros: I liked the little extras the volunteers have added to the course.
Good variety that forces you to use allot of the discs in your bag.
The stream that goes through the course is beautiful and easy to retrieve discs from.
Cons: Could not find any water fountains.

5+    5/3/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: dkoz
This review was updated on 8/5/2011
Pros: Course has nice long and short teepads and there is no identical holes on this course! Some straight holes, some go left and some holes go right its a great variety. Trash cans and benches on every hole. Challenging tight fairways with great basket placement!
Cons: Only con's I have for this course is there's a path throughout the course so you have to watch out for the walkers and runners! Also this course IS NOT kid friendly, but if you have the kids with you theres a course right down the steet called poolside!
Other Thoughts: Must be a good course....it fostered 6 world champs!

Roscoe

5+    5/6/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: vinmoe73
Other Thoughts: I find myself wanting to go to Roscoe more than any other course in North East Ohio. Basket positions seem to be changed frequently. The course is always well maintained, free of litter and debris. The locals really cherish this park, as well they should.

Sweet, classic course

2-4    3/14/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: There is a great mix of shots. I did not feel this course favored anything. It was technical and diverse. There was a nice blend of open and tight shots as well as hyzers, anny's and darts.

Respectable elevation. There were some really nice swings. Holes 13 - 15 may have been my favorite holes on the course. You climb to a small hill top and shoot down, through a narrow gap, to a pin poised next to a creek. Also, you shoot up a steep ledge to a pin appox 15-20ft above the tee.

Concrete pads. Long and short. The pads are of the two block style. They are on the short side.

The hazards were balanced. There were a few early trouble holes, starting on hole 1, a few late trouble holes and some nice flex lines through technical fairways. There were multiple pins near water.

The park was very well utilized. I can't see how a better course could have been laid out on this lot.

Cons: This course has pretty much everything you look for, save true distance. There are only 2 holes that crack 400ft. Ten holes are in the 300+ range and six are in the 200+ range - and this is from the long tee's. The shorts are really short. The thing with long distance though, is it can alienate players. I understand this course was designed to be approachable to the recreational player.

There were a few breaks in the flow of navigation. You should bring a map your first time out. Holes 6 & 7 are somewhat seperated. You need to walk back across the parking lot to get to pad 6. Then holes 8 & 9 are across the rail road tracks. You cross back over these tracks to get to hole 10.

Other Thoughts: Fun. Fun. Fun.

I had overlooked this course when seeking road trips 'cause I generally look for at least a 4.0 rating. This course is currently sitting at a 3.5. Hopefully this review helps push it to the next benchmark, I think it deserves it. It has too much diversity to be considered less than excellent.

I wish this was my local course. You can work on just about every aspect of your game here. Good times...

An Excellent Course

2-4    9/11/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: Mike C
Pros: -Excellent shot variety. Some very fun elevation changes and a good variety of lines. Some holes will be tough to deuce while others are ace runs. Except for an oddly large amount of straight, short ace run holes this course features excellent variety hole to hole.

-Very easy to navigate without a map. Plenty of markers spread throughout the course telling you where to go, and all the baskets have highly visible numbers on top.

-Well done short and long tee placements.

-The course seems well maintained and frequently played, which is good to see.

-Nice baskets, plus a practice basket right by the parking lot.

-The most benches I've ever seen on a single course.
Cons: -Some of the teepads could use a touch-up, as they're beginning to crack.

-Not very many long shots.

-Could be a bit tougher, the difficulty level is moderate. I had to shoot decent to make par, but I didn't feel like I was being tested too hard.

-The walking path can lead to interference during warmer parts of the year.

-While in general it's easy to stay off the rough, there are some parts way off the fairway that are very rough if you manage to land there.
Other Thoughts: Roscoe Ewing is a great disc golf course that I don't play as often as I'd like. It seems well loved by the locals based on what I can see. The holes are enjoyable and offer good variety, though the entire course isn't too demanding of skills and shot placement.

This course doesn't have the wow factor other courses I've played do, but it's a very solid course and I recommend anyone living within an hour or two make a point to play it at least once. I've had a great time every round I've thrown here.

Oldie but Goodie

1    8/7/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Very nice land and it was used to perfection
Well Maintained
I heard this course has been changed around a lot over the years. You can tell that a lot of thought goes into it and that the course just continues too get better and better
Great mix of shots
Wooded but not to Densely
Very high Fun Factor but also challenging with out being frustrating
Some really cool elevation changes
Easy to Navigate
Plenty of bridges and obstacles to throw over and around
Cons: I've heard it can be crowded but I was there on a Saturday afternoon and while there were other people there none of them were directly in front of me holding me up or behind me pressuring me to pick up the pace. I got no complaints
Other Thoughts: I was told this was Ohio's oldest Disc Golf course and the home course of Avery and Valarie Jenkins. It's a great course and I'm sorry it took me so long to get to it. It's probably in my Ohio top 10.

It has it all, open shots, wooded shots, elevation changes, pretty good distances and ace opportunities. It's wooded but your not in the woods. It's in a nice neighborhood and also well maintained. I had to skip a hole because some crews were working on it.

I'm a sucker for elevation changes and this one has some really good ones. 13 and 15 stand out. I having trouble saying exactly why I loved this course so much but I think it's because it has a really high Fun Factor but still remains challenging without become frustrating. It's hard to find a course that pulls that combination off, especially as well as this one does.

If you like Disc Golf and live anywhere near Cleveland then I imagine you already know about this place. If you live anywhere in Ohio and you share my love for Disc Golf road trips then this one is a can't miss.

WOOT!!

5+    7/5/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: Brall
This review was updated on 9/22/2011
Pros: - Excellent overall course design! Beginners and Pro's are here.
- Very well maintained grounds. Nicely defined fairways.
- Wooden posts at the tees show distance w/map and have a place to hang your bags.
- Nicely placed next tee markers.
- Bring your entire repertoire of throws. Excellent mix of hyzer and anhyzer. I consider this a technical and fun course.
- Nicely sized concrete tees.
- Pro and Amateur tees on most holes.
- Baskets are labeled and in excellent shape.
- Nice elevation. Enough to add some fun difficulty.
- Benches at #2, #5, #7, #11, #12, #14, #15, & #16.
- Trashcans scattered around.
- Multiple pin locations on #2, #3, #6, #10, #12, #14, #15 & #16
- Very nice practice basket with stone markers at different distances. Play you at horse!
- Flows nicely. #18 ends at #1.
- Parking lots at #1 & #9.
- Slightly scary bathroom at #9 in the woodshed. (I'm just happy they have one)
- Playground at #9 parking area.
- Shallow creek that provides a good obstacle. Been in it a lot! Haven't lost a disc in it yet.
- A variety of DG events take place here.
- Nice DGC sign at the driveway, otherwise the turn could be missed to the hidden parking lot at #1.
- Beautiful bridge across the creek from #18 to #1.
- Friendliest locals I've ever meet.
- Near I71, easy to get to.
- Near lots of places to eat and a short drive to downtown Medina.
- #2 is a very testing right curve/up hill! Then the pin is far back and to the left around the tree. Very challenging hole but the reward is awesome to land a RHBH anhyzer bomb drive just right.
- #4 birdie time. Short hole so do not bomb a straight glider or you'll be swimming in the creek.
- #8 Ace race hole. Even says so in the concrete of the tee. Check out the wounded trees. Watch your hyzers, playground is to the left.
- #12 is an easy birdie when the pin is moved low. When the pin is high it takes luck to get through the pinball tree wall.
- #14 has a tough elevation change going up hill. Look for the basket location because when that changes, so does the path you want to take up the hill.
- Par 4 holes? Here's a list of Long Tee to Long Basket holes that even a good player may have a tough time getting a 3 on: #2, #12 & #15.
Cons: - Busy. Lots of golfers, lots of path walkers. More civilians than any DGC I've been to.
- The tee maps are great to have but could surely be more accurate.
- Need a sign for the bathroom. It's difficult for visitors to find.
- #3 requires you to anhyzer or be in someone's yard but is still a FUN hole.
- #5, during apple season it's a pain. Rotten fruit everywhere but at least it smells good.
- #6 & #10 could use something other than spray-paint to mark the pro tee's.
- #15 drive is at the path but its' view is blocked and is potentially dangerous.
Other Thoughts: Established in 1978, one of the very first disc golf courses. This is a must play course. Add it to your wishlist, worth the travel from other states.

Because of the age of this course, you will get a chuckle from the intensely knotted trees that have taken abuse from discs for so many years.

The water hazard is the creek but the only shot that actually goes 'over' it is #15 when the pin is in the rear/wooded position. There is a nice bridge to get you there.

There is no hole I dislike. Although #5 & #15 I just rip it and pray you get through the trees. There should be a forum just about how people choose to drive at #15.

Favorite hole: #4. It is so gratifying to drop a hyzer just over the lip of the hill and have it blindly land for a 10' putt. Don't turn early, don't turn late. It's a narrow margin of error that's easy to miss. This could be your Ace hole!

Edit on 09-23-10: #10 basket was just moved so that it is not so close to #18 basket. Thanks maint crew!

Edit on 09-30-10: #4 is definitely ace-able. Just landed my first ace and only ace on it.

Epic fun

5+    7/29/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Conect11
This review was updated on 6/14/2011
Pros: Pro and Amateur tees at nearly every hole
Perfect use of elevation
Every hole a challenge, with few nightmare holes
Clever, clever course design
You might need every shot you have learned to play this course.
Scenery is top notch
Great use of the area's natural features
Cons: Train tracks come perilously close on a couple of holes.
I ripped my pants. (seriously, now that's a stretch as a "con")
Other Thoughts: After playing this course a couple more times my enthusiasm for it has dampened, though I still love it. The two biggest issues I see are 1: The walking path the bisects the course on numerous holes, and 2: Some of the fairways come very close to criss - crossing each other. There are some blind shots off of hills and over the walking path (15 comes to mind) that while they are epically fun for the thrower, are nearly blind as to if someone is crossing on the path, leading to potential injury. I little bit of tree trimming would be in order here. Getting to the tees for 16 kind of breaks the flow of the game up. You have to cross a bridge to get to hole 15, then cross right back over to get to tee 16. Don't get me wrong, it's marked and you can find it rather easily, but there is enough real estate on the side of the creek that 15's hole is on that I believe the 16th tees could have been placed there while leaving the pin right where it was. Maybe that's just me, though.

Beautiful hilltop shots, over water shots, at least 3 holes that are right on the shore, (and I mean RIGHT on the shore) or hill side. This course can easily make you use every shot in your arsenal, and is great for working on / testing out your rarely used shots. There are two tees per most holes, and the opportunity to play through on each (pro and amateur) add immediate replay value each visit. If you are near Cleveland or Akron, play this course!

Smart and Efficient

2-4    7/1/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Two tees per (most) holes. Tall wooden posts with distance information and place to hang bag. Benches. trash cans scattered about. Practice basket. Appears to be well maintained.
Cons:
From basket-15 to tee-16, need to walk past basket-13. Many holes play along/near walking/bike path. Elevated #15, a blind shot high over or through some trees, potentially bring the path and a couple tees/fairways into play.
Tight-n-technical? Long-n-open? This well-thought out and designed course doesn't fall into either extreme. Overall length and tightness are moderate, but this course does a great job of taking a few open areas sprinkled between small bands of hardwoods and clusters of trees to create a very pleasant course requiring a blend of both length and accuracy. Most shots off the tee will be straight/S-shots, with the left-turns being more prevalent than the rights. A good portion of the holes are rather flat , although the early holes bring some moderate elevation into play, and numbers 13/15 have elevated tees up on a ridge, with in-between #14 having you re-obtain this elevation by going up a (seemingly) near-vertical bank. A very shallow, but not disc-stealing, stream plays near much of the last half of the course.

Holes 5, 14, 15, and 18 are single tee, although it appears 14 & 15 have two different pin positions. Sign at short tee for numbers 1, 4, 8, 10, 12, and at long tees for numbers 2, 3, 7, 9, 13, 16, 17, no sign for #6, but it was easy enough to figure out.

Favourite holes: liked so many, but 3 & 4 stand out. Number-3 requires you go straight for a very long time before bending right around a couple rows of trees to find the basket slightly down a slope. #4 is an absolute classic to a blind basket. Starts off gently down a slope, then requires a sharp-left between two rows of trees, just as the land drops off steeply to a basket with a few trees behind, but the slope continuing down, too. Hit the gap just right, at the correct height, and you might hear the chains, but turning too early, too late, or being too long will certainly be a bit of a bummer!

A lot of fun to play from either tee location. Suitable for a wide range of players. Certainly worth a visit, and not too far of I71.

Hope I don't get poison ivy

2-4    7/2/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: dallamjm
This review was updated on 9/19/2010
Pros: For our first time disc golfing EVER, it was a great pic, and perfect matchup with some dinner and trivia at BW3. Very woodsy and scenic, but unfortunately, we spent a lot of time looking for our discs. Lost One disc!
Other Thoughts: We played this again and with more experience, we enjoyed it much more. We met a really helpful fella named Nick who helped us to get around this course. We also had the distinct pleasure of meeting Nate Doss while we were playing, and he was gracious enough to sign our discs! He was accompanied the course designers, and Valerie Jenkins, another champion.