Medina, OH
Roscoe Ewing Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #4 (Taken 4/2011)

Roscoe Ewing Park: A true Ohioan gem in my hometown!

5+    3/22/2015   11/7/2011
Review By: Billy K2
This review was updated on 3/28/2015
Pros: Roscoe Ewing Park is a beautifully punishing course in northeast Ohio. Despite the breathtaking beauty of the course and park, the mature trees can be cruel. Roscoe has a lot of history to it that any disc golfer can appreciate. There are many unique holes and angles on this course. The more you play it, the more shortcuts you find. There are trashcans, benches, and tee signs on almost every hole. The park has other amenities including a playground, pavilions, and a walking path(See cons). The creek that runs along many of the holes is crystal clear most of the season, and is shallow enough to retentive discs from with ease. The course has many regulars, that are happy to help, or play a round with you if it is your first time visiting the course. There is an information board next to the practice basket that shows you many important details about the course and park. There is a practice basket with distance markers next to the parking lot. There are multiple pin placements and tees for variety. The course will challenge discers of all ages, not because of it's length, but the technical aspect of the course. Navigation is fairly easy to follow because of the painted navigational arrows and wooden signs,
Cons: This course is a phenomenal course, but my cons are the same as almost everyone else. There is a fairly busy walking path that runs through the middle of the course. There are signs posted at the enterences of the trail, so most sparklers are aware of flying discs. The only restroom is pretty far off the course. On nice days, parking near the first tee can be limited.
Other Thoughts: Roscoe Ewing Park is truly an incredible course. I might be slightly biased since I live in the area, but I really do think Roscoe is one of the best courses in Ohio. If you are just visiting the area, be sure to check out the historic Medina Square. I truly think Roscoe has to be placed in the "Best-Of-The-Best category".

Fun mix

1    8/9/2011   8/28/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through nice woods with some open clearings sprinkled in. This makes for some nice variety, with a few longer park style holes and some shorter more technical shots with enough rough to punish errant shots. There are two tees on most of the holes that add some more variety, most of the shorts are pretty beginner accessible while the longs provide some more interesting challenges. There is a sign at one of the tees on all holes that shows distance and a basic hole layout.

There are some nice elevation changes, including a couple fun downhill shots from elevated tees and a tricky uphill shot with a very steep slope leading up to the basket. The course was well maintained with nicely mowed grass and trimmed and cleaned fairways. A few holes bring a shallow stream into play, making a nice ob without too much risk of lost discs.
Cons: The course plays mostly straight, there aren't enough interesting hole shapes to provide a full range of challenges for better players. There is enough room here to be just a little more creative in my opinion. It's inconsistent if the sign is at the long or short tee, making for some extra walking to play either set. There are some long walks between holes that aren't all that obvious, navigation is tricky at times. A walking path is in play on many holes, definitely a potential safety issue.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with some nice challenges. Even the short tees might be a little technical for some beginners, but it's not too terribly long or punishing. More experienced players will find many parts of their game tested here, with enough technical shots to put accuracy at a premium.

A Natural Beauty

1    8/11/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: kinger
Pros:
~Wonderful course layout
~Good mix of throws required
~Multiple concrete tees on all but a few holes
~Baskets are in nice condition
~Gentle elevation changes
~Fairly open and tight wooded holes are intermixed
~Not overly long, but rather technical
~Plenty of benches & trash cans throughout
~Good signage
Cons:
~Random bikers, joggers and walkers along the intersecting paths
~Some minor tee to hole navigation at a few sections
~No restroom or picnic table at the parking lot area
Overall I am pleasantly impressed by this course. My round consisted of a mixture of long and short tees based on which I wanted to play on each hole. It's a challenging course from either set. Lots of shot variety along with a medley of hole conditions, the layout is great. Wonderful natural setting with plenty of elevation changes, wooded and open areas, a small creek and multiple walking paths intertwine throughout the course. Pleasant hike with lots of bridges to go over. For me it was primarily a long mid range and fairway driver off the tee with a couple more good throws to attempt saves at par. Concrete pads are nice and the baskets are in good shape. Course is clean and well maintained. Some very memorable holes, and I drove away hoping to make it back over some day soon.

Awesome Course!!!

1    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: Mavrix
Pros: Great Course, very well maintained and easy to navigate. Great course for all the discs in your bag, lots of great holes for both your back hand and flick! All and all I look forward to playing a few more times while I'm in town.
Cons: Can't think of any!
Other Thoughts: Had a blast, built very well!

Great Volunteers

1    6/5/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: Petercules
Pros: I liked the little extras the volunteers have added to the course.
Good variety that forces you to use allot of the discs in your bag.
The stream that goes through the course is beautiful and easy to retrieve discs from.
Cons: Could not find any water fountains.

5+    5/3/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: dkoz
This review was updated on 8/5/2011
Pros: Course has nice long and short teepads and there is no identical holes on this course! Some straight holes, some go left and some holes go right its a great variety. Trash cans and benches on every hole. Challenging tight fairways with great basket placement!
Cons: Only con's I have for this course is there's a path throughout the course so you have to watch out for the walkers and runners! Also this course IS NOT kid friendly, but if you have the kids with you theres a course right down the steet called poolside!
Other Thoughts: Must be a good course....it fostered 6 world champs!

Roscoe

5+    5/6/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: vinmoe73
Other Thoughts: I find myself wanting to go to Roscoe more than any other course in North East Ohio. Basket positions seem to be changed frequently. The course is always well maintained, free of litter and debris. The locals really cherish this park, as well they should.

Sweet, classic course

2-4    3/14/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: There is a great mix of shots. I did not feel this course favored anything. It was technical and diverse. There was a nice blend of open and tight shots as well as hyzers, anny's and darts.

Respectable elevation. There were some really nice swings. Holes 13 - 15 may have been my favorite holes on the course. You climb to a small hill top and shoot down, through a narrow gap, to a pin poised next to a creek. Also, you shoot up a steep ledge to a pin appox 15-20ft above the tee.

Concrete pads. Long and short. The pads are of the two block style. They are on the short side.

The hazards were balanced. There were a few early trouble holes, starting on hole 1, a few late trouble holes and some nice flex lines through technical fairways. There were multiple pins near water.

The park was very well utilized. I can't see how a better course could have been laid out on this lot.

Cons: This course has pretty much everything you look for, save true distance. There are only 2 holes that crack 400ft. Ten holes are in the 300+ range and six are in the 200+ range - and this is from the long tee's. The shorts are really short. The thing with long distance though, is it can alienate players. I understand this course was designed to be approachable to the recreational player.

There were a few breaks in the flow of navigation. You should bring a map your first time out. Holes 6 & 7 are somewhat seperated. You need to walk back across the parking lot to get to pad 6. Then holes 8 & 9 are across the rail road tracks. You cross back over these tracks to get to hole 10.

Other Thoughts: Fun. Fun. Fun.

I had overlooked this course when seeking road trips 'cause I generally look for at least a 4.0 rating. This course is currently sitting at a 3.5. Hopefully this review helps push it to the next benchmark, I think it deserves it. It has too much diversity to be considered less than excellent.

I wish this was my local course. You can work on just about every aspect of your game here. Good times...

An Excellent Course

2-4    9/11/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: Mike C
Pros: -Excellent shot variety. Some very fun elevation changes and a good variety of lines. Some holes will be tough to deuce while others are ace runs. Except for an oddly large amount of straight, short ace run holes this course features excellent variety hole to hole.

-Very easy to navigate without a map. Plenty of markers spread throughout the course telling you where to go, and all the baskets have highly visible numbers on top.

-Well done short and long tee placements.

-The course seems well maintained and frequently played, which is good to see.

-Nice baskets, plus a practice basket right by the parking lot.

-The most benches I've ever seen on a single course.
Cons: -Some of the teepads could use a touch-up, as they're beginning to crack.

-Not very many long shots.

-Could be a bit tougher, the difficulty level is moderate. I had to shoot decent to make par, but I didn't feel like I was being tested too hard.

-The walking path can lead to interference during warmer parts of the year.

-While in general it's easy to stay off the rough, there are some parts way off the fairway that are very rough if you manage to land there.
Other Thoughts: Roscoe Ewing is a great disc golf course that I don't play as often as I'd like. It seems well loved by the locals based on what I can see. The holes are enjoyable and offer good variety, though the entire course isn't too demanding of skills and shot placement.

This course doesn't have the wow factor other courses I've played do, but it's a very solid course and I recommend anyone living within an hour or two make a point to play it at least once. I've had a great time every round I've thrown here.

Oldie but Goodie

1    8/7/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Very nice land and it was used to perfection
Well Maintained
I heard this course has been changed around a lot over the years. You can tell that a lot of thought goes into it and that the course just continues too get better and better
Great mix of shots
Wooded but not to Densely
Very high Fun Factor but also challenging with out being frustrating
Some really cool elevation changes
Easy to Navigate
Plenty of bridges and obstacles to throw over and around
Cons: I've heard it can be crowded but I was there on a Saturday afternoon and while there were other people there none of them were directly in front of me holding me up or behind me pressuring me to pick up the pace. I got no complaints
Other Thoughts: I was told this was Ohio's oldest Disc Golf course and the home course of Avery and Valarie Jenkins. It's a great course and I'm sorry it took me so long to get to it. It's probably in my Ohio top 10.

It has it all, open shots, wooded shots, elevation changes, pretty good distances and ace opportunities. It's wooded but your not in the woods. It's in a nice neighborhood and also well maintained. I had to skip a hole because some crews were working on it.

I'm a sucker for elevation changes and this one has some really good ones. 13 and 15 stand out. I having trouble saying exactly why I loved this course so much but I think it's because it has a really high Fun Factor but still remains challenging without become frustrating. It's hard to find a course that pulls that combination off, especially as well as this one does.

If you like Disc Golf and live anywhere near Cleveland then I imagine you already know about this place. If you live anywhere in Ohio and you share my love for Disc Golf road trips then this one is a can't miss.