Kansas City, KS
Rosedale Park - Top Share
Uploaded By: jace Hole #7 (Taken 3/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Pin positions galore.

1    7/25/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: Location and the fact there is a second course on site is this courses best feature.

A never ending supply of pin positions.

Mediocre signage, nice tee pads, and benches on most holes.

acceptable variety in distance, but I did not find as strong of a variety in shots required and the long holes were wide open.

17 had a nice elevated tee.
Cons: No navigational aids I got lost at one point and wound up on the other course.

a truck was parked directly behind hole 9 making the hole impossible to finish safely.

10 and 11 were parallel with each other, 2 groups could easily be throwing on each others fairways, especially when 11's basket curls to the left behind hole 10's tee.

Hole 12's basket was just feet from the road.

Hole 16 played very close to property lines. 17 was also parallel with property lines.

you had to walk right over another tee pad to get to hole 18, which has a steep hill on right that goes directly to a very busy road. It is heavily protected by trees, but I still had one of my attempts hit a tree and roll all of the way down the road into the busy road.

There are a few opportunities for disc loss. I spent 25-30% of my time looking for discs in brush or high grass. I did not lose any though.

Back 9 does not offer much shade during hot weather. Holes are mostly wide open.

Lots of vandalism.
Other Thoughts: I was wishing I had played the other course on the property.

More pins, does not make a better course. The money put into these pins could have been put into far better use. There was no reason for 6 pin positions when many are just 10-15 feet apart.

If you play this course during the midwest championships and disagree, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it before the anonymous thumb. A thumbsdown means this was unhelpful, not that you are pissed I rated the course low.

Lefty friendly

1    7/10/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: Matt5150
Pros: Tees are nice with benches at most.
Cons: Right side holes.
Other Thoughts: Clean park. Nice tees. Benches at most holes. Most holes bend right right or have obstacles on left. close to Oklahoma Joe's. Plenty of parking.

Doin ok in KCK!

1    11/11/2013   11/14/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Great layout all over Rosedale Park! I didn't leave feeling like they could have done more with the land they had. It snaked nicely between woods and open spaces, with more emphasis on open. Nothing ridiculously long, but lots of interesting holes to keep the game moving.

Several of the fairways and approaches have steep dropoffs that will severely punish a bad drive. There's a good amount of risk/reward and I thought the elevation changes were used very well.

Benches and concrete teepads at every hole, which is nice. Frequent trash cans and there were bathrooms at the beginning of the course.

Very pretty scenery for most of the course. With the exception of a few holes that play very close to Mission Road and some backyards, it was a very pretty play this fall.

This course makes good use of the land it has. I didn't feel it was lacking in any way, or that the designers could have done anything better really.

While this course is one of KC's oldest (I believe second oldest, built in 1984), it didn't feel too terribly dated or anything. I think the local club has done a good job adding pin positions and the like to keep things interesting.

I never got bored on this course. While it's fairly open in most parts, there are some tight shots, and the elevation changes mean you have to be careful with your drives or you'll end up having your disc roll down a hill.

Nicely spread out for the most part, only a couple holes play close to each other and even then it's not a huge deal (10-11 come to mind). Nothing like fellow older course Swope Park.

There is a whole other course you can play here -- more on that later, but it exists and is also 18 holes.

The navigation generally makes sense and isn't hard to follow. On 9, watch for the staircase on the right that leads you down to 10. On 3, you have a tiny path near the fairway you can take to get to 4. That's about all as far as tricky areas go if I remember right.

I tend to grade courses partly by how memorable the holes are the night after I've played. 3, 4, 8, 10, 11, and 15 all stood out to me, especially 3 -- might be my favorite hole on the course. That's a tight shot done right.

Very few blind shots. You have to shoot well on most shots, but if you're a beginner, just take it easy and focus on throwing straight, and you'll do just fine.

Multiple pin positions keep things very interesting, sometimes changing the par of the hole -- more on these later though.

I read multiple reviews complaining about the trash level on the course, but it seemed under control when I was there in mid November. Might not always be like this, of course.
Cons: What is up with the GRAFFITI everywhere?! Seriously, it's on everything. Benches, trash cans, baskets, tees, signs, everywhere. Not sure if it's from fellow DGers who think it's cool (it's not) or those in the surrounding area. This isn't really that bad of an area in relative terms so I'm not sure what's going on.

The course sees a ton of use; while it was fairly slow when I was there on an overcast Monday in November, I could tell it's well traveled. Not that the grass is all trampled or anything, but you can definitely tell it sees some use and you might have to be patient on a weekend or a sunny day.

The signs are getting a bit faded and could use an update. Also, there's no markers for which pin position is active. That's an issue because...

...okay, the pin positions on this course are a bit ridiculous. I saw a couple holes with 7 or even 8 pin placements. I mean, I like having two or maybe three, but it gets a little pointless when they're literally a few feet away from each other. There's not a lot of blind shots in the current positions, but some of the others could get irritating.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that 16 and 17 play right along fenced yards, many of which have either unfriendly dogs or huge "NO TRESSPASSING" signs. Clearly the neighbors are not amused at DGers traipsing into their yards to get discs. Granted you would have to hit a pretty bad shot for this to be an issue, but it happens and it definitely made me play these holes more conservatively than I'd have liked.
Other Thoughts: Rosedale is very centrally located and easy to get to from almost anywhere in the Metro. Take I-35 south of downtown (or north of Johnson County) to the Mission Road/Southwest Blvd exit, and head south on Mission Road. The park is on your right after about a mile.

I was surprised to see so many reviewers mention the neighborhood. I mean, the Rosedale neighborhood of KCK isn't fantastic or upscale by any means, but it's no war zone and don't forget, it's just a few blocks north of Johnson County. Besides, it's an urban park. I wouldn't want to wander around ANY urban park after nightfall. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you lock up your car you should be fine. If you won't play here due to the "neighborhood", that totally cuts out Swope, Blue Valley, and Kessler park too. Keep your head on a swivel (as you should do in ANY large city), and enjoy the game. You should be fine.

Overall, this is a very fun course that players of all skill levels can enjoy for different reasons. Good maintenance (minus graffiti) and a good layout are key here. Beginners can enjoy an established course they won't totally bomb at; experts can enjoy a trip down memory lane seeing how the game has progressed since the 80s. Happy discing in KCK!

I love the course, love the people

5+    9/14/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: It is a fun course, easy to locate. The holes are very well laid out and finding your line is pretty easy once you get a feel for the course.

When the course is recently mowed, it is beautiful. There is a lot of variety on this course. I have found that every hole has potential for par, birdies are attainable with great drives. Ace runs on about 3-4 holes depending on pin placement.
Cons: Sometimes it gets kind of busy, but I have never found that to be a real problem. Other than that, I really wish that people would pick up their trash and keep the course a little cleaner- but I don't blame this all on disc golfers. The park is fairly busy by many people in the area
Other Thoughts: I love the people. There is always a great group of guys to sit and visit with around hole one. This is by far the most social course in the entire city, which makes it one of the greatest courses to play in the city. It makes taking a little bit of an extra drive worth while when you can sit and visit with Charlie and Gabby.

Lock the Doors

5+    2/16/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: bkern85
Pros: Very easy to navigate. Offers a variety of pin locations, distances, hole types, and shot selections. The course is well kept and maintained. It is in a multi-use park, but the course works around that quite well. Tee boxes are cement and there are hole signs and benches at each.
Cons: OB here can be very unforgiving on most holes, you'll either go down a giant hill in the woods or into someone's back yard. I suppose you could risk the attack dog and getting shot at to retrieve your disc from the yards, but let's face it man, that disc is gone. That being said, the neighborhood around the park isn't the greatest, so go during the day and not at 2:30 in the morning.
Other Thoughts: I used to play this course after work and never had a problem while I was there. Aside from 1 lost disc, I enjoy my experience everytime I go there. This is a tournament-worthy course and hosts them every year.

Great course

2-4    7/7/2009   5/7/2013
Review By: Hockeydoc2112
Pros: Nice variety of open, wooded, short and long holes. Well marked and easy to navigate
Other Thoughts: Played here in the 2009 World's. Kansas City probably has the best collection of DG courses in the world and this is one of the reasons why.

Incomplete

1    11/15/2012   11/15/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Great mapping
Tee Maps
Clear path to each tee/basket
Great layout/course plan
Cons: Looks a little older but well kept
Some of the tee maps are faded - expected over time
Some tees have all the marked baskets and others have one of many, unclear
Other Thoughts: I admit that I only played this top course and didn't have time to finish yet. Though I have a hard time finding any negatives for this course. Impressed with the level of deatail and the great layout to cover 18+ baskets (x2+). I can't wait to go back and finish this course and play the lower course as well. So far, the upper course is impressivly balanced and flexible for just about all types of play and ranges. Proximity to Oakie Joes is great too, and they sell discs!!!

Good Spot

1    10/12/2012   10/14/2012
Review By: blowers04
Pros: Good variety of shots in and out of the woods. The wooded shots have fairly easy openings. Oklahoma Joes is right down the road, so that is always a plus.
Cons: Very worn, slightly trashy. Was a windy day, but alot of liter about. Wasn't always easy to find where the pin was, due to multiple locations per hole, and not very well marked.
Other Thoughts: All and all is a godo course and a good. Grab some Joes between the Down Under and the Top, and your good to go.

I Love Rosedale

2-4    8/9/2012   8/13/2012
Review By: austinpetz
Pros: Hole 3: Fun tunnel shot through the woods. Great for right handed golfers with one of the hole placement.

Hole 5: Another fun tunnel shot. The elevation change is fun to throw low on. There's a nice drop off after about 50 feet.

Hole 7: If you want to practice your distance, this hole is the one for you. At the long basket, this is a perfect driving hole for the average player.

Hole 10: This is a fun hole to play with right handed anhyzer shots. Fun to play with those understable discs (there's never too much wind down there either - lots of protection by the trees)

Hole 13: Good elevation change. Easy to overdrive the hole.

Hole 14: If you have an overstable fairway driver, excellent opportunity to practice.
Cons: Hole 9: The island landing is fun to mess with, but why one pin is par 4 and the pin 30 feet in front of it is a par 3, i have no idea...

Hole 13: Open, not many trees.

Other Thoughts: This is a great course. It's very playable for the average dolfer. There's a few birdie opportunities too. There's plenty of wooded areas that aren't too difficult to play through also. If you're in the area, you gotta play this course.

great place for a quick 9

2-4    8/12/2012   8/13/2012
Review By: teddster06
Pros: -Tons of different shots/hole types.
-Easy to follow no confusion on hole placement or tee pads.
-Tees and baskets are in good condition.
-Shaded most of the course so it was no problem playing in 100+temps.
-Lots of benches and trash cans.
-Multi-basket locations
Cons: -For how many well placed trash cans there are it was kinda trashy.
-Some holes placements are just a tad far fetched for some par 3s but far from impossible.
Other Thoughts: Overall I really liked this course and I love the fact that there is a bottom 18 course just down the hill. It's a great location to meet people from anywhere in kc and would be a great park to play all 36 holes and have a vast variety of land holes and shot types. Great course for beginners and pros alike.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5