Kansas City, KS
Rosedale Park - Down Under Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #7 (Taken 9/2009)
3 / 208ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

2-4    6/21/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: spcmitchell28
Pros: Most baskets can be seen from the tee pad, good course to test your accuracy because there is very little margin for error. Has a variety of uphill and downhill shots. I threw thumbers off most of the tee pads and ended up with my first course par.
Cons: Entire course wraps around the side of a big hill which makes it crucial to never take your eyes off any rollers. There are also no signs on the baskets, and many of the tee pads are not marked as well.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I have played in KC.

Fun, yet challenging

1    10/22/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: Stud62
Pros: Course winds through a beautiful forest. Short, technical drives.
Cons: Very steep, lost discs very possible without a spotter
Other Thoughts: Fun course for KC. Reminded me of a few courses I played in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Steep inclines. I only played with my mid and putter.

5+    7/20/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: jeffreyjeanshorts
This review was updated on 7/27/2011
Pros: Choice! Downstairs is shade and windless.
Cons: Be ready to meet some trees. When get to the teens it can be hard to find next hole but help is always around.
Other Thoughts: Have some putters and middies. I use a whole different set of discs than i play with up top.

Leave Your Driver at Home

1    7/22/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: This course is a blast to play. It has a great combination of wooded plus elevation changes. There are a number of very memorable and unique holes. Most tee shots require serious accuracy, but very few require distance. I don't know that I threw much more than a buzz but maybe a handful of times throughout the round. It is a nice change of pace from the many courses in KC the require a big arm for low scores. It is a super unique setup here. I love that someone used "unusable" land around the park to make something great out of it.

To get there, just head to the woods line to right of 1's fairway and there is a drop off into the woods very near 1's basket. It would have taken me a while to find it if a local hadn't pointed me in the right direction.

The orange baskets are awesome! They make it so easy to locate your target off the tee. They also grap discs really well. Better than most I have played on. They are very similar to the Titans. The course appears to be very well maintained. I didn't notice any trash out there to speak of.

I didn't get the same impression that others noted about most of the holes being anhyzer shots off the tee. Maybe it was just where the baskets were situated when I played, but I thought there was quite a bit of variety, knowing that the whole course plays in the woods. The elevation changes were enough to give plenty of variety.
Cons: There are definitely a few places on the course that are confusing if you haven't played out there before. I had a local that was out playing that I jumped in with, which saved my bacon but I would have been in trouble otherwise. Please note that this is only in a couple of places. For the most part it flows seamlessly....but where it is confusing, it is quite confusing. The tee signs could be better, but I didn't feel like I needed them because you can spot the basket easily from 90% of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This was a ton of fun and I look forward to revisiting next time I am in KC. The reason I gave it a 4 instead of higher is simply because for me, to go beyond a 4 the course needs more variety beyond just wooded holes. While I feel like there was plenty of variety for a wooded course, to take a course to the next level (in my mind) it needs a greater variety of shots. That is not a diss at all. The course does what it does very well and I loved it.

Perfectly Fills the Niche for a Technical Woods Course in KC

2-4    10/2/2009   10/18/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 10/19/2009
Pros: Design and Terrain:
*This course perfectly fills the niche for a technical woods course in the overall KC disc golf scene. It's a fantastic change of pace from the other long, relatively open courses in the area; it's the antipodes of Blue Valley. I really like the terrain! You feel like you're secluded, in the woods, away in nature. (But I'm from wooded NC.) There are also rugged rocks and some peaceful paths.
The course plays along the side of a big steep hill, so on some holes if you go off the fairway you're down a very steep slope in thick woods. Good luck getting back in play! That strongly heightens my "Apprehension of Danger" while standing on the tee pad. I often threw softer shots just to do my best to stay in play. Even when my disc took a sickening kick off a tree and went down the hill I enjoyed the challenge of trying to salvage the hole.
*There's very good elevation variety, including several Down-Up ravines and Up-Down holes. (6 Flat/ 5 Up/ 7 Down). There are more elevation changes on the back 9, including hole 16 that is a classic +38 ft uphill on a short 160 ft hole! The front 9 has 5 flat holes while the back 9 only has one.

Basics:
*Baskets- The fluorescent Disc King baskets are the bomb! They're neon orange with fluorescent green poles, so they're much easier to spot in the woods than any other plain baskets I've ever seen. For me, these baskets significantly upgraded the course.
*Navigation- layout maps on the tee signs and small orange "Next tee" arrows make it pretty easy to find your way around.

Amenities:
*A clear and useful map is available online.
Cons: Basics
-Tee signs: They got much better after the PDGA Worlds in 2009, but they're still just laminated 8 x 11 paper stapled to trees. They're adequate, but they could be even better.
-Tees: It would be really hard, maybe impossible, but it would be great to have concrete tees. The dirt tees were fine, but I think they'll get muddy when it's wet. Even rubber mats would be an improvement.

Design
-There's not enough fairway shape variety; straight and dog leg rights predominate. (9 St/ 1 Lt/ 8 Rt)
Other Thoughts: Course Level = White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925)

You be the judge-
My favorite hole: 8. You shoot to a peninsula with a big drop on the right side.

Length:
The holes are rather short with the majority being 200-280 (5 of 160-199/ 12 of 200-280/ 1 of 300), but the heavy woods make it play longer. Shorter throwers (like me) will probably like this more than the big arms, plus there are no open holes to just let it fly anyway. Birdies, and even aces, are a tantalizing possibility if you can avoid hitting a tree!

It may just be me, but I've been to Rosedale 3 times now and I always feel like the course is in a kind of shady area that doesn't feel completely safe. I'm wary of being there when it's dark. I got there right before sunrise, and because of the isolation on the Down Under course I felt extra cautious playing by myself. I've never had any problems, so there may not be any basis in reality, but that's how I feel there.

I enjoyed Down Under more than the regular course, so if I had limited time and could only play one I'd definitely play Down Under. I've played almost all of the KC area courses and Down Under is currently my 2nd favorite in this area. The course is such a great change of pace from all the others in KC. If you live nearby you need to play this course to work on your accuracy, and if you're from out of town it's well worth a visit.

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my reviews and rating notes at the Yahoo Group, DG Course Reviews

Awesome challenge

1    2/7/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: beaker
Pros: Amazing course that forces extremely accurate throws and perfect lies. Terrain changes and TONS OF TREES makes course a lot of fun.
Cons: Not quite sure how to leave after the 18th hole. Some tee pads can be muddy.
Other Thoughts: Don't play this course if you don't like the sound of a disc hitting a tree.

Magnificent technical gem

2-4    9/28/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: A wonderfully fun and challenging course tucked into the wooded outcroppings of Rosedale Park. Offers an entirely different experience from the blustery winds, open shots, and afternoon crowds on the extremely popular Top course. Technical from beginning to end and despite that there is some considerable variation in holes, hyzers, anhyzers, elevation changes, cross ravine shots. A great test of accuracy. Plenty of chances for an unfortunate rollaway or a plunk off a tree into the deep abyss. Cool new bright orange and yellow baskets which were installed this year make seeing your target and picking your desired route that much easier than the old baskets.
Cons: Lack of some sort of smooth surface teepads. Getting cement pads down here would be a challenge, but flypads would be better than the dirt pads that are there now. They are marked by timbers and are very choppy. There is also plenty of stuff (stumps, dead wood) in the fairways, and certainly off the fairways to trip over. The bottoms can get muddy is your disc gets down there. Better signage is also needed. There are some signs up in the trees to point you around, but you kind of have to look for it. Some signs with hole distances were put up for Worlds, but they're nothing more than laminated paper, and many of them are already deteriorating. Getting hole numbers on the baskets would be nice as there are a few spots where you can be led off course. Not good for people with bad legs on them as there is a lot of hill climbing involved, both up and down.
Other Thoughts: For some reason, I've If you ever arrive at Rosedale hoping to play the Top course and get irritated by the crowds, I'd advice heading downstairs, litterally (they are located in the woods by the Top course's first basket). You can probably leave the bag in the car and traverse this one just with a midrange and putter. I would advise getting a look at the hole before you throw. Some of the trouble spots off the fairway are more forgiving than others. Definitely worth a play, along with its mother course upstairs.

One of my favorites

5+    5/18/2009   6/5/2009
Review By: TrailBoss
Pros: Tight, technical, wooded course. KC is a very windy city and it can be howling at 30+ mph up top and this course is quiet and still down below. Very creative course. All holes are short, but that is perfect for this course
Cons: None to speak of
Other Thoughts: You better love tight and technical courses that reward pinpoint accuracy. Not a course for the big armed howitzer arms. This is all about a masterful short game. Begs you to come back for more and try to go lower.

Wooded Wonder

1    3/7/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: jace
Pros: This is a very technical course that has been laid out very nicely.
Entire 18 holes are in a wooded setting that are sheltered from the wind. You are actually playing on a bluff that surrounds the park, so when the foliage is off the trees, the views were pretty nice.
Each hole felt uniquely different due to terrain changes and layout around obstacles (trees). There were some really nice holes that crossed valleys of varied depth.
What an incredible course in Kansas City that is NOT an open fairway type course!
Even though the course was crowded, it played fairly quickly, and slower groups were all willing to allow us to play through.
Has natural tees which for this course is a definate PRO - I can't see ruining the wooded type feel with concrete tees.
Cons: Tee signage leaves a little to be desired. Hook up with a local if you can - there should be plenty willing to let you join them.
In talking with some of the regulars it can be fairly crowded at times, but typically no longer than a 10 minute wait to start.
Some may consider the "wooded" nature of the course a negative since there is NO relief, but hey - this is a technical course!
A map would be invaluable for this course.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to Jason and Eric for a great round! They allowed me to join them and provided a little guidance on how each hole played - which unfortunately for them worked too well to my advantage.
Restrooms were located at the tennis courts.
Hole #1 starts by decending the metal stairs which are located at the basket area of Hole #1 on the upper course. After completing Hole #18 you transcend the rocky steps to the open field which you need to cross to get back to the parking lot.
I am sure this course is even more challenging when the foliage is in - it will require most dominantly a low ceiling shot on every hole.
Luck will certainly factor in if you are not able to throw off the tee fairly straight. I doubt you'll lose a disc though - but you might have to climb up or down an eroding slope to retrieve it.
A must play if in the Kansas City Area!

This is my favorite wooded course

8/17/2006   5/17/2008
Review By: Doktor John
This review was updated on 5/18/2008
Pros: Very technical
Well laid out
The holes are each unique with little redundancy
You get "penalized" for stray shots but can almost always retrieve your disk
When it's windy up top, it's very protected down on this course
Cons: If crowded (which has only been a couple of times that I have been there) it can get a little bottle-necked
Not many cons in my mind
Other Thoughts: I've played this course many times when I have traveled to KC and it keeps challenging me...I've had one "off the hook" round there that keeps me striving for that feeling again!