I chose this for an ace run . .. and was pleasantly surprised
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1) Posts have Hole #, Distance, and a very simple vinyl map on the sign. It is rudimentary but it helps for the first timer for sure.
2) Some directionals help to move you around the course in a few of the tricky spots.
3) Good use of some minor dropoffs around baskets making for some tougher putts. Some might require a good shot and some might require some luck, but it changes the norm and that is good!
4) Excellent wooded course. I love this type of course even if it is short and straight forward. Executing lines is what makes this sport fun for me, and a wide open course does absolutely nothing for me.
5) Rain shelter and garbage cans available at the first tee.
6) Even though the course is wore down in spots . . . it is still a very healthy soil because of the sand that comes along with it. I typically would dock a course for this but in the sandy soil, compaction is so much less of an issue even if the turf is thin or non-existant.
7) Excellent variety on this course in terms of shot selection. You will have to execute all types of shots to score well here. The only thing this course lacks is real distance. I know the two along the ball fields are much longer, but it just does not cater to anyone other than the Recreational or Intermediate level player.
8) There were some garbage cans throughout the park to help with the collection of litter around each teebox.
9) Subtle rolling terrain . . . it doesn't go up or down much, but there are fall-a-way areas and mounds int he woods.
Cons: 1) #2 teesign and post is missing, look for the small stump, although it is pretty easy to figure out where to throw from on such a short hole.
2) Baseball fields are encumbering on the course (or vice versa depending on your perspective). Those holes would become unplayable with an active game because the lines that do not go over the fields are just not the desired intent of the holes (I assume at least). Perhaps I am wrong, but it just feels very contrived on these two holes.
3) A handful of baskets are leaning in the ground . . . I am sure this is because of the sandy soil but it is something I would like to see addressed. I am guessing they didn't use enough conrete to keep the basket from shifting due to the thaws coming out of winter.
4) Dangerous in a couple spots where tees are close to the previous baskets. Safety needs to be of the utmost concern if this sport is to move forward!
5) Dirt tees are never my favorite. Fortunately, the ground is soft and sandy, so we are hopefully not creating a deeper copmpaction of the soil. Some of these dirst tees have also exposed the soil to even more erosion.
Other Thoughts: Literally I had no idea what to expect. It was short and tightly wooded and I figured I would make some ace runs, as would my wife, Instead, we were treated to a wonderfully shaded course on a really hot July afternoon. I would return just about anytime I am in the area.It presented a lot of challenging tight shots. I still shot (-7) which is pretty good for a new course, but for the distance of the course it shows how challening and tight those holes are.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: nice course that can be played in under one hour. challenging technical holes mixed with short birdie making holes. easy to navigate. The woods is cleared out enough so discs are not lost easily. nice course to play on bright sunny days since most holes are in the shade. tee markers have accurate distance and shot line on them. some nice ace run holes. trash cans available on most holes.
Cons: dirt tee pads so some pads have roots in them so watch your step. To get to number two tee you need to walk up hole 6 fairway. they should make a path from the path to seven that would lead to #2 tee. Tee for #16 is way to close to basket for 15.
Other Thoughts: It really is a nice course in a heavily wooded area. Hole #3 is very hard to par with the long length and the curvy long narrow fairway. almost impossible to navigate without hitting one or more trees along the way. #4 is a very short ace run with large tree guarding hole on the right side with branch hanging just in front and slightly above the basket. #5 you have to deal with the outfield fence of the softball field. If drive lands in outfield your next shot can get tricky since the basket is just on the other side of the fence and woods right behind hole. #6 also goes along the outfield of a second ball field but this outfield only has stakes along the outside. both holes you can make in three though. #7 starts a run of 3 possible birdie opportunities. there is a short cut off tree in line with the hole that can stop a disc from making a nice run at the hole. #8 and #9 are tucked in around corners but both are highly birdie opportunities. If you have any bogeys on the front few holes you can make up your shots here. #10 makes use of small trees in the middle of the fairway. If you can keep your disc straight you can park it under the basket. if you hit a tree you end up in the woods or in the runoff ditch on the left. hole is still parable from either side of the fairway. #14 can get really tricky hole is on a ridge with a big sloping drop off on the left of the hole. best bet is to try to keep the shot low so if it does go left you wont be too far down the ridge. #15 straight shot but if you hit a tree could end up in deep runoff ditch to the left of the hole. #17 you can drive fairly well just don't get the disc too high in the air or the branches will swat it down.
When you get to the park you should park in the farthest lot. there will be basketball courts on your right and beach volleyball on the left. head towards the beach volleyball courts. 1st hole is up around the bend on the path to your left.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This coures can be played through quickly. It has many short holes that can be aced but then also has some long holes that are nealy impossible. Some very challenging holes but the course is very forgiving with some very easy short holes.
The course is well laid out with many driving lanes in the middle of the woods. The ground is rather clear so you do not spend much time looking for discs.
Cons: The course does not have any tee pads so you find yourself tripping over roots when you are driving. Some of the holes like #3 are impossible to birdie and very difficult to par. The holes out of the woods are boring and just lead you back into the woods.
Other Thoughts: It does not take a long time to play so it is a good course to play if you do not have alot of time.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This course is really fun to play. Your chances of getting a ace are really good. Most of the holes are under 200ft, it easy to shoot under par here. Rycenga is also a great place to work on your mid game and putting.
Cons: The lock the park gates at dusk.
Other Thoughts: This would be a fun place for a Ace Race. Play here if your having trouble with your mid game and putting.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: This course was challenging with tight fairways. It could be played quickly. Most holes you can get a birdie, except 3 is probably the toughest hole.
Cons: The course closed since the storm about a month ago. All the baskets are gone.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.