Sabattus, ME
Sabattus Disc Golf - Hawk Share
Uploaded By: bcr123psu Hole #13 (Taken 8/2010)
3 / 207ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Destination: good time

5+    8/24/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: overkill
Pros: A very well laid out, fun course with equal amount of open space and wooded area to challenege all levels of player. The entire course is more similar to a PGA golf course vs some of the "path cut through the woods" courses that are around.
Cons: Pars are generous but can be adjusted to what you consider fair.
Other Thoughts: Will always play here over any other course when given the chance.

Nice warm up to Eagle

2-4    8/15/2014   8/15/2014
Review By: iHitTree
Pros: -Great mix of shots
-Great cement teepads
-Great signs
-Variety in terrain: creeks, rocks, woods, fields, hills, tight/narrow
Cons: -Not a par 72...I found it to be par 60
-Muddy after intense rain
Other Thoughts: This was a great warm up to Sabattus' premier course, The Eagle. It is slightly easier, but also has all the pros its big bro.

I Made An Account Just So I Could Write This Review

1    8/11/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: samuyama
Pros: -Super Professional. This course is so well kept it made me proud to play this sport.

-Large tee pads. A lot of courses have smaller pads that can be hard to tee off from, plenty of space here.

-course is clearly marked and easy to navigate. Most every hole has a bench and trashcan, map with distance to hole looks really nice.
Cons: The only thing would be that the map at each hole isn't quite to scale with reality (but have yet to play a course that is), so first timer's here be mindful and take a good look before throwing.

Being how nice this course already is, it'd be cool if each hole had a nickname as well.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting from NC and only had time to play one course in Maine. I'm glad I chose Sabattus, hands down the best course I've ever played. I've been using this site for a while to find good courses, but like I mentioned in the title I finally made an account just so I could write this review.

The course goes in the trees enough that you get good shade and feel like you're experiencing the nature of Maine (beautiful), but clear enough that you should never worry about losing a disc.

The guy working the desk, Patrick, is a professional disc golfer, sponsored and everything. Knows his stuff and is happy to help you find the right discs, give you advice on throwing technique, and anything just for love of the game.

Hawk

2-4    7/25/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: dlandry13
Pros: This course along with the three others are maintained very professionally, and it is pretty hard to lose your disc on this course. Has great lines and open fairways providing an excellent layout for beginners like myself. I cannot think of anything bad to say about this course or Sabattus Disc Golf.
Cons: 7 dollars for a round is a little pricey compared to other places, but with the majestic professional atmosphere and courses, it is well worth it. I come here whenever I want to have a good peaceful round.
Other Thoughts: The stock inside the pro shop is unbelievable. I have to tell myself not to go in there because I know I will end up wanting to buy something whether it is a disc, a bag, mini, or any other disc golf related item. Check this place out as soon as you can! Definitely the best in Maine that I have seen so far.

A new level of golf experience

1    6/29/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: centralscrutinizer
Pros: We arrived early and Peter (Paul?) when he saw that we had come a long way (from NC) came out to chat with us. We spoke a few minutes and very much appreciated the time he took to tell us about the courses/pro shop/plans for the future and the disc golf scene in Maine. The course was challenging, with a good mix of tight fairways and open fields, something for everyone. I've been playing for 6 years now and this was the more professional maintained course I've ever seen. Trash cans, benches, porta potties, a great pro shop, basically all the amenities that I'd expect on a typical ball golf course. We intended to play again as we passed through on our return trip but time was against us. Was it the toughest course I've ever played, not at all, was it one of the best laid out making a great use of the terrain available, absolutely. After our round when we were leaving the parking lot was full which in itself is a testament to the disc golf experience you can expect here. I truly hope that other private courses learn from them and model their professionally maintained courses/business in a similar fashion.
Cons: The pars on the toughest of the 3 courses were somewhat generous in my opinion. Not that it really matters in that everyone is playing to the same numbers. If I was to make a suggestion I'd like to see a monster layout, the likes of Renny Gold or the Web in Charlotte for days I'm in the mood to get a good beat down.

Returning to Roots

2-4    5/23/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is the course that really kick-started my play, about two years ago. With only one course and a handful of rounds under my belt, I played Hawk just before leaving the state and I absolutely loved it at the time. A hundred and fifty courses later, I returned to Sabattus. It didn't take longer than stepping onto the first tee to realize that this is a far easier course than the one that was in my head. That isn't inherently a bad thing. This is still a good course. But it is by far the easiest course that I have ever considered giving a four.

There is some distance here. 500-600 feet holes. But those holes are wide open, with nothing but open field between tee and basket. There are some wooded holes. Those holes are typically less than 200 feet from tee to target and the fairways are more than generous. While a bunch of the short holes are straight, it does require some lines, but none that will raise the blood pressure. There's a little elevation, but it's not overly strenuous. It was around hole 15 that I realized, "this is the perfect red level course."

Yeah those open holes will take a red player a few shots, but that's why they have real, red-level pars. They are going to relish the chance to air a few out, and see what kind of distance they can achieve. If you look at the hole descriptions, there is nothing that overly tax a beginner. And those generous pars will certainly make them feel good about their game. (Even a blue-level player should be aiming for -18 on a good day.

Then you throw in the same exquisite maintenance and aesthetic appeal that Eagle course boasts? Tees, baskets, navigationů.it's all top-notch here. Truly an excellent experience for a new player and the perfect course to learn the game on.
Cons: It really only has lasting appeal for one skillset of players, and those that play here often will outgrow it relatively soon. I think that all players will enjoy it at least once, but honestly, I wouldn't play it that often if I was local. Eagle is right there and it is a far superior course. Far more so than the current difference in their ratings would indicate.

There is some water here, but it's mostly for aesthetic appeal. The same creek from Eagle winds its way around a few of these holes, but I couldn't see a place where it might affect a toss. (In fact the one place where a local route sneaks across a pond to a back way to the basket, it is forbidden by mando.) There is some elevation, but it's usually quite simplistic. There are some interesting holes here, but they are the exceptions. Too many are simple, straight approaches to the basket. At the beginning, I was debating a four for Hawk, but by the end, especially those last open holes, there was a bit of tedium.
Other Thoughts: In the end, I found what was only hypothetical a week ago: a perfect red-level course. I think it's on the high side of 3.5 but there isn't enough memorable here to bump it up one more notch.

Great course

5+    5/24/2014   5/24/2014
Review By: Zerbato
Pros: The course is very well maintained. I play this course often as it isn't to far from where I live. If you want more of a challenge the eagle offers that but when I want to warm up and practice different shots I play the hawk. It is also very good to play on when I get a new disc and need to try it out.

Worth the trip, off season

2-4    5/27/2013   8/27/2013
Review By: ErockTads
Pros: This course is really pristine and manicured. The owners certainly take a lot of pride in the appearance and the diversity of shots and holes. There is something for the beginner (to help them learn), the intermediate and the advanced players. The pro shop is pretty decent.
Cons: This place gets to look like an amusement park at times its so busy. I'd also like to see a much larger putting practice area.
Other Thoughts: If you're planning a trip up to SDG, definitely make a day of it, play a few of the courses and try to find a weekday if its between Memorial Day and Labor Day to enjoy the quiet the course could offer.

5+    9/30/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: mainediscgolfer
Pros: The best kept course I have been to it is the course I play the most in a nice area friendly staff and they are very knowledge about the sport great selection of disc in the pro shop they also have a great selection of bags and anything you need for disc golf

5+    11/2/2011   2/26/2012
Review By: Rhyno14
Pros: Great place to play! Excellent variety of shots, forehand, backhand, and tomahawk. Extremely well maintained and well marked. One of the top courses in the state HANDS DOWN!!! Pro shop has a huge selection and friendly employees. Knowledgeable Pro in the pro shop. $9 for the day is well worth the price. (2) 18-hole courses and (1) 9 hole course.
Cons: Needs new baskets. Not open all year round.....