Sabattus, ME
Sabattus Disc Golf - Hawk Share
Uploaded By: bcr123psu Hole #2 (Taken 8/2010)
5 / 555ft.   5 / --   5 / --   5 / -- Par / Distance:

Hawk

2-4    7/25/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: dlandry13
Pros: This course along with the three others are maintained very professionally, and it is pretty hard to lose your disc on this course. Has great lines and open fairways providing an excellent layout for beginners like myself. I cannot think of anything bad to say about this course or Sabattus Disc Golf.
Cons: 7 dollars for a round is a little pricey compared to other places, but with the majestic professional atmosphere and courses, it is well worth it. I come here whenever I want to have a good peaceful round.
Other Thoughts: The stock inside the pro shop is unbelievable. I have to tell myself not to go in there because I know I will end up wanting to buy something whether it is a disc, a bag, mini, or any other disc golf related item. Check this place out as soon as you can! Definitely the best in Maine that I have seen so far.

A new level of golf experience

1    6/29/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: centralscrutinizer
Pros: We arrived early and Peter (Paul?) when he saw that we had come a long way (from NC) came out to chat with us. We spoke a few minutes and very much appreciated the time he took to tell us about the courses/pro shop/plans for the future and the disc golf scene in Maine. The course was challenging, with a good mix of tight fairways and open fields, something for everyone. I've been playing for 6 years now and this was the more professional maintained course I've ever seen. Trash cans, benches, porta potties, a great pro shop, basically all the amenities that I'd expect on a typical ball golf course. We intended to play again as we passed through on our return trip but time was against us. Was it the toughest course I've ever played, not at all, was it one of the best laid out making a great use of the terrain available, absolutely. After our round when we were leaving the parking lot was full which in itself is a testament to the disc golf experience you can expect here. I truly hope that other private courses learn from them and model their professionally maintained courses/business in a similar fashion.
Cons: The pars on the toughest of the 3 courses were somewhat generous in my opinion. Not that it really matters in that everyone is playing to the same numbers. If I was to make a suggestion I'd like to see a monster layout, the likes of Renny Gold or the Web in Charlotte for days I'm in the mood to get a good beat down.

Returning to Roots

2-4    5/23/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is the course that really kick-started my play, about two years ago. With only one course and a handful of rounds under my belt, I played Hawk just before leaving the state and I absolutely loved it at the time. A hundred and fifty courses later, I returned to Sabattus. It didn't take longer than stepping onto the first tee to realize that this is a far easier course than the one that was in my head. That isn't inherently a bad thing. This is still a good course. But it is by far the easiest course that I have ever considered giving a four.

There is some distance here. 500-600 feet holes. But those holes are wide open, with nothing but open field between tee and basket. There are some wooded holes. Those holes are typically less than 200 feet from tee to target and the fairways are more than generous. While a bunch of the short holes are straight, it does require some lines, but none that will raise the blood pressure. There's a little elevation, but it's not overly strenuous. It was around hole 15 that I realized, "this is the perfect red level course."

Yeah those open holes will take a red player a few shots, but that's why they have real, red-level pars. They are going to relish the chance to air a few out, and see what kind of distance they can achieve. If you look at the hole descriptions, there is nothing that overly tax a beginner. And those generous pars will certainly make them feel good about their game. (Even a blue-level player should be aiming for -18 on a good day.

Then you throw in the same exquisite maintenance and aesthetic appeal that Eagle course boasts? Tees, baskets, navigationů.it's all top-notch here. Truly an excellent experience for a new player and the perfect course to learn the game on.
Cons: It really only has lasting appeal for one skillset of players, and those that play here often will outgrow it relatively soon. I think that all players will enjoy it at least once, but honestly, I wouldn't play it that often if I was local. Eagle is right there and it is a far superior course. Far more so than the current difference in their ratings would indicate.

There is some water here, but it's mostly for aesthetic appeal. The same creek from Eagle winds its way around a few of these holes, but I couldn't see a place where it might affect a toss. (In fact the one place where a local route sneaks across a pond to a back way to the basket, it is forbidden by mando.) There is some elevation, but it's usually quite simplistic. There are some interesting holes here, but they are the exceptions. Too many are simple, straight approaches to the basket. At the beginning, I was debating a four for Hawk, but by the end, especially those last open holes, there was a bit of tedium.
Other Thoughts: In the end, I found what was only hypothetical a week ago: a perfect red-level course. I think it's on the high side of 3.5 but there isn't enough memorable here to bump it up one more notch.

Great course

5+    5/24/2014   5/24/2014
Review By: Zerbato
Pros: The course is very well maintained. I play this course often as it isn't to far from where I live. If you want more of a challenge the eagle offers that but when I want to warm up and practice different shots I play the hawk. It is also very good to play on when I get a new disc and need to try it out.

Worth the trip, off season

2-4    5/27/2013   8/27/2013
Review By: ErockTads
Pros: This course is really pristine and manicured. The owners certainly take a lot of pride in the appearance and the diversity of shots and holes. There is something for the beginner (to help them learn), the intermediate and the advanced players. The pro shop is pretty decent.
Cons: This place gets to look like an amusement park at times its so busy. I'd also like to see a much larger putting practice area.
Other Thoughts: If you're planning a trip up to SDG, definitely make a day of it, play a few of the courses and try to find a weekday if its between Memorial Day and Labor Day to enjoy the quiet the course could offer.

5+    9/30/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: mainediscgolfer
Pros: The best kept course I have been to it is the course I play the most in a nice area friendly staff and they are very knowledge about the sport great selection of disc in the pro shop they also have a great selection of bags and anything you need for disc golf

5+    11/2/2011   2/26/2012
Review By: Rhyno14
Pros: Great place to play! Excellent variety of shots, forehand, backhand, and tomahawk. Extremely well maintained and well marked. One of the top courses in the state HANDS DOWN!!! Pro shop has a huge selection and friendly employees. Knowledgeable Pro in the pro shop. $9 for the day is well worth the price. (2) 18-hole courses and (1) 9 hole course.
Cons: Needs new baskets. Not open all year round.....

Great variety

1    8/26/2011   10/14/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through mostly flat Maine woods. The lines are fair but there is enough rough to punish errant shots, but enough gaps to offer chances for creative recovery shots. The fairways are immaculately groomed, the wooded holes are fine gravel and the open shots have nicely mowed grass. There is a nice mix of mostly technical shots and a few well placed open holes to keep things interesting.

This course has the best length variety of the courses here at Sabattus, with plenty of ace chances and some big bombers mixed in with mostly moderate lengths. There is a good balance of left and right turning holes with some creative line shaping needed.

The concrete tees are in great shape, as are the baskets. The signage is clear and easy to read with hole layouts and distance. The course flows well with no navigation issues. The complex is a model for pay to play facilities, with two other nice courses on site along with a well stocked shop and a great warmup and practice area.
Cons: There are several sharp dogleg holes that get a little repetitive at times. Some of the open holes could have used the edge of the rough and woods a little better rather than just a straightforward open hole. Some of the signage seemed a bit off on the hole shape and distance.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course tough, but more approachable than the Eagle course. It isn't quite as long or tight, but it is still fairly challenging. More experienced players won't find quite as many tests here, but more variety than the tougher Eagle. This whole facility is a destination for sure, with three different levels of courses and a nice shop. The staff seemed knowledgeable and very helpful, and it's obvious that a good portion of the proceeds go to maintaining and improving the courses. The owner is planning on adding a 4th course in the next year or so.

Best I've played

5+    7/14/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Ryan LaRoche
Pros: After reading the other reviews I am basically only doing this because I am reviewing all course I have played.
-Immaculate facilty
-Great signage
-Variety of shots
-AMAZING shop
-Feels like a ball golf course-even better actually. The maintenance on this course is above any that I have EVER seen.
-Challenging for the newb and even hard to master for the "experts"
-Family, Fun-not just on the signs, it is what you see out there.
Cons: -Can be wet-like any course in Maine
-Staff is not always super knowledgeable, but tries very hard to answer your questions.
-Signs may be a little off for the 1st time player.
-Yeah that is about it...
Other Thoughts: These people have done an amazing job on this course. It can be crowded as it is the premier course in the Central Maine area. But overall it is the best disc experience that I have ever had and it continues to be every time I play it (well over 100 rounds already). Any player of any level would enjoy a day on this course.

If Disney Did Disc Golf

1    6/18/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Course in immaculate condition. On same site with another 18=hole course, 9=starter course, and well-stocked clubhouse.
Cons:
Either the signs exaggerate the distances a bit, or the Maine air added 75' to my throws! Some of the turns at the holes are sharper than indicated by the signs.
The course has an excellent clubhouse, with plenty of discs, beverages, and snacks for sale and lots of outdoor seating. The tee areas have all the amenities - long-n-wide-n-flat concrete teepads, good signage, benches, trashcans, place for cigarette butts. The fairways were either low cut grass on the open holes, or fine gravel on the wooded holes. The excellent baskets were surrounded by a thick spread of mulch, and the course was a cinch to navigate - didn't even realize there was a map on the back of the scorecard. Didn't see a bit of trash anywhere.

With five holes ~200' or less, and an equal number greater than 500' in length, there is good variety in distances, from up-n-over-a-small-rise-to-a-basket-near-a-shallow-creek 169' #6, to long-n-wide-open 646' #14. The course is fairly flat, except for the holes (2,3,6,7,8) that play down towards or up from the creek, and even the elevation changes on these holes is moderate. While mostly straight shoots are needed from the tee, there will be occasion for a sharp right or left turn. Trees come into play from time-to-time, and, excluding around-the-woods right-turning number-12, the "wooded" section of the course are holes 7-13, although none of the required lines would be considered tight.

Favourite hole: 555' #2. After quickly exiting a pocket of trees, must avoid the parallel treeline to the left while not hitting a tree in the scattered perpendicular line of trees coming in from the right. The approach from the open space must clear to right-side treeline yet not be too long into the next pocket of woods, needing to dip down and to the right to reach the basket

As a single player, I had to play through a lot of different groups, and as I interacted a bit with each group, they all shared one thing in common - they all seemed to be enjoying themselves tremendously. There is a very positive/fun "vibe" at this course, with minimal/no chance to get lost or lose a disc, well-groomed tees/fairways/baskets, and fun holes offering some challenges, appealing to a wide spectrum of players.