Course Extinct
Dunedin, FL
Saint Andrews Links Golf Course Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #12 (Taken 9/2009)

Average Course

1    1/6/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: Roller Coasters
This review was updated on 1/9/2010
Pros: The ability to get a cart and buy beverages, although I didn't take advantage of either of these amenities. There is a selection of discs available. The baskets are very old, but have a extremely wide catching area. The baskets also have very large visible flags on top that help with visibility. The front nine have red flags and the back nine have white flags. There is a good course map and an accompanying disc golf map.
Cons: It costs $6.00 to play each round. I wouldn't mind paying the money if the course were in better condition. Many of the Fly 18 pads were in pretty bad shape. Also, I could not find the pad on hole #1. The disc golf scorecard lists a pro and an amateur distance for each hole, but I could not find a second tee area for any hole. The disc golf scorecard also has information as to where the pad and basket was for each hole. Because of the way it was copied, only holes 1-5 and 10-14 were legible. The course was in very bad condition. It was very wet and muddy and this is the dry season in Florida. Also, holes 4 and 5 were closed because the bridge that leads to them had been condemned. I'm sure that the course will fix this, but it speaks to the condition of the course.
Other Thoughts: I was really looking forward to this course, but was severely disappointed. It is extremely long and if I were a big bomber, I'm sure that I would have liked it better. For most average players, however, it will follow a formula - Throw it as far as you can and then try to get a 200 foot approach shot close. The only danger on the course is water. There are a couple of holes that have a very long water clearance over 250 feet or more. Disc golf is definitely not the main purpose for the course and the ball golfers weren't very aware. It took three holes before a threesome realized that I was also playing the course and let me play through. It then took two more holes for the foursome in front of them to let me play through even though I was playing alone.

I have played on a disc golf course set up at a Par 3 ball golf course before at the Sarasota Amateur tournament and enjoyed it very much. The lack of variety here though made this a very forgettable round. I would pay $6 to play Cliff Stephens, but I think that I will let the ball golfers enjoy Saint Andrews and hit the other great courses in the area instead.