Course Extinct
Dunedin, FL
Saint Andrews Links Golf Course Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #18 (Taken 9/2009)

waste of gas

1    5/23/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: JohnPSI
Pros: none
Cons: n/a
Other Thoughts: Course was removed during change of management, apparently some sort of dispute over the dg course equipment's value. Thanks for updating the website so people don't drive an hour to play for no reason. Too bad, I was looking forward to playing this course

Change of Pace

1    7/2/2009   4/20/2010
Review By: Pro-Am
Pros: Greens and sand traps are OB (increases difficultly)
Carts
Beverages
Longer than the average
Cons: $6 to play +$12 cart
Slippery Tee pads
Water hazard retrieval
Other Thoughts: I went and played with a disc golf pro who coached me through the course. His guidance on how to throw each hole made it enjoyable. Greens and sand traps are OB which increase difficulty.

This course would not be a regular one for me even if I lived near by because of the expense. But it is definitely one I would recommend if you have never played one like it . And I will enjoy revisiting on occasion.

Unhappy to Pay to Play

1    8/18/2009   3/25/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This was not a terrible course, but not one of my favorites by any means. The positive sides of this course are as follows:

- I enjoy a big drive and I have a big arm, so the ability to grip and rip was fun.

- There were nice facilities throughout for seating, ice cold water, and good restrooms at the pro shop.

- There were some fun challenging holes that made you choose to go big or lay up. I went big a couple of times and paid for it by losing my favorite approach/overhand disc (Innova Leopard)
Cons: Now, the cons. I hate to rate a disc golf course negatively because it is really exciting to see how the sport is growing and becoming more mainstream, but I don't want you to be too excited about playing this course.

- The grip and rip I listed as a pro would be much better if you didn't feel like you'd die on the slippery tee pads.

- There are golfers there and the course follows the actual golf holes exactly. The tee pads are off to the side of the golf tee pads and the baskets are somewhere near the green (usually).

- The course is terrible after a rain, which is supprising because it's a golf course. I went after a moderate rain the day before and it was sloshy all over.

- Not that one would expect a lot of elevation change with a course in cental Florida, but you should make up for that with interesting challenges on your fairway design. Since this is a golf course you won't get any big hyzer or anhyzer shots here to diversify your round.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I would not play this course again. If you live in the area you might as well go to say you played, but if you're traveling through and are looking for a fun round I would recommend North East Coachman Park. That is a very diverse course and a lot of fun. It seems like a local favorite because I have played there a few times and it always has a lot of people playing (both novice and advanced).

Average Course

1    1/6/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: Roller Coasters
This review was updated on 1/9/2010
Pros: The ability to get a cart and buy beverages, although I didn't take advantage of either of these amenities. There is a selection of discs available. The baskets are very old, but have a extremely wide catching area. The baskets also have very large visible flags on top that help with visibility. The front nine have red flags and the back nine have white flags. There is a good course map and an accompanying disc golf map.
Cons: It costs $6.00 to play each round. I wouldn't mind paying the money if the course were in better condition. Many of the Fly 18 pads were in pretty bad shape. Also, I could not find the pad on hole #1. The disc golf scorecard lists a pro and an amateur distance for each hole, but I could not find a second tee area for any hole. The disc golf scorecard also has information as to where the pad and basket was for each hole. Because of the way it was copied, only holes 1-5 and 10-14 were legible. The course was in very bad condition. It was very wet and muddy and this is the dry season in Florida. Also, holes 4 and 5 were closed because the bridge that leads to them had been condemned. I'm sure that the course will fix this, but it speaks to the condition of the course.
Other Thoughts: I was really looking forward to this course, but was severely disappointed. It is extremely long and if I were a big bomber, I'm sure that I would have liked it better. For most average players, however, it will follow a formula - Throw it as far as you can and then try to get a 200 foot approach shot close. The only danger on the course is water. There are a couple of holes that have a very long water clearance over 250 feet or more. Disc golf is definitely not the main purpose for the course and the ball golfers weren't very aware. It took three holes before a threesome realized that I was also playing the course and let me play through. It then took two more holes for the foursome in front of them to let me play through even though I was playing alone.

I have played on a disc golf course set up at a Par 3 ball golf course before at the Sarasota Amateur tournament and enjoyed it very much. The lack of variety here though made this a very forgettable round. I would pay $6 to play Cliff Stephens, but I think that I will let the ball golfers enjoy Saint Andrews and hit the other great courses in the area instead.

Coronas Carts and Lost Discs

1    8/3/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: slifritz
Pros: Just to witness and participate and play along side ball golfers and drive a cart while sipping on cold libations was deluxe.
Cons: Tee pads were a bit slippy in the morning dew at 7:30 am and certainly effected by the aforementioned PRO of having legal drink.
Other Thoughts: The water was not easily disc retrievable nor inviting..even if you were to decide to go in after your favorite disc you thought for sure you could clear the mere 306 feet of water in front of the pin with!!!

What could be better....

1    3/19/2009   3/19/2009
Review By: Dscgl4
Pros: ...than driving a cart, having a (legal) beverage of choice, and beating a ball golfer, all at the same time. :)

The course does favor a big arm, but anyone wanting to play at the "pro" level needs a big arm. There are water hazards and at least one nice traditional technical hole. There's a variety of heizer and anheizer shots, and if you play the greens and sand traps as OB, the technicality sky rockets. Lots of sensible (not manufactured) OB too. The ball golfers love to watch you throw here, and are stunned at what we can do with a disc. That, and you can say you've played the links at St. Andrews!
Cons: You do have to pay, but at $6.00, the fee is minimal.
Other Thoughts: $12.00 gets you a cart, and they have stamped discs for sale too. It's a great way to have fun and be an ambassador of the sport.

A nice, long course to really air them out.

5+    7/19/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: Marv Vega
This review was updated on 8/25/2008
Pros: It's located in Dunedin on an executive golf course, carts are available for rent. Most of the holes are long and open, you can drive with reckless abandon on most. Water comes into play on a few holes, bring a floater. A couple of holes tee off over water. The course is nicely groomed and never seems to be too crowded. It's fairly hard to lose a disc here, unless you're my brother-in-law. The tee's and baskets are very easy to locate. The ball golfers and staff are always very friendly. Discs are for sale in the pro shop but they're a little over-priced.
Cons: I'm personally not a fan of the fly -18 rubber tee's, we usually play from the ball golf tee areas. Most of the holes are just long straight shots, not a lot of variation, elevation of obstacles.
Other Thoughts: It's nice to be able to use a cart, especially on a hot, humid summer day in Florida. We've been stuck behind some slow ball golfers on occasion in which case we jump ahead of them and go back to play the missed hole(s) later.

Fun for a change of pace

5/28/2005   5/28/2008
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Fly-18 course on an executive golf course. Carts are available. A couple picuresque holes involving water.

Almost no schule.
Cons: Overly crusher-friendly. Only one set of tees (blue/gold level). Very little technical skill required. A bit of strategy comes into play for those that can drive over 400 ft., but it's fairly boring for those that can't.
Other Thoughts: A couple quick notes that pertain to all my course reviews:

I don't use a numerical "system" for coming up with a final rating, such as 20% for aesthetics, 20% for challenge, 30% for safety, and 50% for amenities, or the like, except for the fact that I automatically deduct .5 for all 9-hole courses. I've established a base "criteria" based on the fact that more courses will receive a 3 than any other rating. I've created my number standards by grouping "like calibre" courses together and then comparing them to other groups of courses.

A few things that do weigh heavily in my mind are ease of course navigation, degree of nasty schule, likelihood of losing discs, degree of on-course crime, property aesthetics, hole variety, and good score distribution for a standardized gold, blue, white, or red skill level.

Using the 1-5 scale with a "normal" distribution in mind, most courses will fall in the 2.5-3.5 range and nearly all courses will fall in the 2-4 range. I believe that we've yet to create a "5" disc golf course. With that in mind, my highest rating rating given thus far is a 4.5, given to Idlewild. I'll never give an "all par 3's" course higher than a 4 rating.

My reviews are not meant to hurt the feelings of any designers and/or clubs, but I honestly believe that some of our courses do more harm for the sport than good. These courses have received ratings in the 0-1 range.