Georgetown, TX
San Gabriel Park Share
Uploaded By: Cody Hole #9 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #9 Tee: Down a slight hill

Mixed Emotions

2-4    8/2/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: redsealking
Pros: Located in a beautiful park along the San Gabriel river with tons of amenities for all walks of life. Some shade and a nice breeze. Was not crowded any of the times I played it. Course made good use of space provided.

Hole #2 was sweet. Forced you to throw super low and far, or throw a controlled S around huge guardian tree.

Hole #4 I liked. It required a long controlled drive to a landing area with a shorter controlled up just to get the three.

Hole #7 was a good golf hole. A long drive would land you at the base of a side-sloped fairway with the basket perched atop. A controlled up shot that doesn't roll away with card you a three.
Cons: Holes 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9 were super short and had very few obstacles to traverse. There was one point where you had to cross hole 3's fairway.

Some holes just had not much to offer. Wide open tees and baskets in open space.
Other Thoughts: Park itself was awesome. My wife and daughter were able to play at a fabulous play area while I threw. Being somewhat Austin area, I expected it to be super crowded but it wasn't. Course played super fast, so it would be easy to fit in a lot of golf.

This is my home course

5+    8/9/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Great changes in distance a little elevation change but not much. Hole one is fun to drive on and if you have a big arm its good open practice for your slower discs. Hole two is excellent design, over a creek, clear a hill, land past or in between two large oaks.I love pointing the basket out to new players. Hole three is short and a good ace opportunity with a couple angles around well placed trees and a basket just over a creek. Hole four is long but holds obstacle enough to stop you after just over 300 feet, a well placed shot after can land you birdie. Hole five is short and simple but can be damaging if the creek is full. Hole six is awesome basket placement. I haven't seen a basket placed directly in between two trees with only inches of leeway any where else. Hole seven Is a nice dive with a great hill and basket placement. Hole eight is short but requires a little accuracy with some annoying trees. Hole nine is down a hill and is very open. I love to play hole one and nine for a short bit of practice and if you only have a few minutes you can play a short circuit with holes one, two, three, eight, and nine. The course is in a figure eight witch allows quick play.Excellent 9 hole.
Cons: A little easy and not to much variety.
Other Thoughts: This course has a special place in my heart. I recommend it for Georgetown and Round Rock players looking for a fun and quick place to play.

Pretty good re-design

5+    4/30/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: Cody
This review was updated on 3/5/2010
Pros: All the tees are very easy to find and marked with posts after the re-design; still dirt though.
Glad they at least have one amateur par 4 on it which is # 4.
I like the openness as before, and there still are a few tighter shots to be had in that rolling field of old oaks.
Cons: My only gripe is that I wish they would've put the # 7 basket where # 5 used to be; the tee is the same though. There's no reason that they couldn't and it would've added ~80' more to the hole making it an amatuer par 4, in my book anyways, (just like # 5 used to be). # 8 really wasn't a par 4 before, so I guess we still wind up with the same overall par anyway.
Other Thoughts: I just corrected the measurements and par for each hole today by using the very scientific method of "big steps" ( 1 big step = 1 yard). Feel free to re-measure if you've got better methods than that....

1    2/22/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: biggio1
Pros: It had very nice dirt tees, well nice for dirt. some length and trees. A nice creek that was dry when I played. Was easy to navigate.
Cons: Was a little difficult to find at first but we got there.
Other Thoughts: Very close to the awesome Rivery Park. About 3-4 miles.

5+    7/15/2008   7/16/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 12/17/2009
Pros: A beautiful little course on rolling hills (elevation changes) and massive live oak trees (low canopies and great shade) along a seasonal creek (water hazards on 7 of 9 holes after a rain).

Hole #2 has become my favorite hole of the new design but #3, #4, #6, #7, and #7 are also excellent holes.

The only good thing about the re-design is that the course now starts and finishes at the parking area.

The course is always mowed and never crowded.
Cons: Dirt tee pads.

The signs have no info other than hole #.

No trash cans.

#1, #5, #6, and #9 are now just short, wide open holes that just don't offer the challenge that this course did before it was re-designed.
Other Thoughts: With the re-design I had to lower my rating from excellent to good.