Long Grove, IA
-- / 300ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Nice quick play

1    10/7/2012   10/7/2012
Review By: iblanchard
Pros: -Easy to get to from highway 61
-In a nice neighborhood
-For the most part easy to follow
-Some of the trees add difficulty
-not busy and all the playground equipment is away from the course.
Cons: -Didn't use the tee pads because they reminded me of a batters box in baseball at the end of the season and I didn't trust the footing
-I blew by the entrance to the park because it is sudden, but there was a sign for the park.
Other Thoughts: Id say if you are in the area and you wanted to play a quick nine this would be a nice course to stop at. Its nothing really special but nothing I really complain about either except the tee pads. It is a beginner friendly course with most of the holes in the 250-300 range.

Not horrible,but not great

1    9/1/2010   9/1/2010
Pros: 1) Disc golf sign at the parking lot directing you to the first tee. Signs like this help the disc golfers out and they also promote the sport to the rest of the park users. Otherwise people might not even know there is disc golf in the park.

2) Signs that have a general layout on them and the distance. Better than nothing.

3) Mach baskets are in pretty good shape. They have the number plates but because of the redesign it was hard to figure out which was which.

4) This course has the biggest oldest Hawthorn tree I have ever seen in my life. If you were to try and climb this tree, you might not dislodge yourself from some of the thorns. It was immense and dangerous, I was kidnof surprised I didn't see like 10 discs stuck up there.

5)This course is somewhat challenging. This is also a negative below, but at least making birdies isn't easy on every hole.

6) This courses biggest asset is the elation changes that it uses. There are some fun ripper holes and even an uphiller that dramatically shortens your drive because of the hill.

7) Trees are also available on every hole. Some of the trees are in akward spots, but a lot of time it is simply to help protect the basket, or protect the tee from an errant throw. Without the trees this course would be very mundane.

8) Beginner friendly from the standpoint that the holes aren;t super long and the risk of losing a disc is not real high.

9) I liked the arrows that were placed on top of the teeposts pointing to the basket. I think those had all been updated since the baskets had been changed.
Cons: 1) #1 basket is blind from the tee and there are dense shrubs about 5' away from the basket on 65% of the circle. The open 35% is on the left side which means you do not want to RHBH hyzer it around the trees liek I did. It's the only reason I didn't make birdie. I was 10' away but totally blocked from one of the shrubs. I think it need to be more clear as to the shape of the hole, or at the very least, bring the shrubs up slightly to allow for a low putt through them.

2) One thing or another on this course simply leave the holes feeling goofy. There are awkwardly placed trees and shrubs, there are blind shots, the layout is somewhat goofy even after it appears that the course has been altered recently. I enjoyed playing but I certainly felt a little akwardness about this design and the lay of the course.

3) Crossing fairways and tees throwing directly over other tees or baskets. Holes 3, 4, 5, and 6 had been changed to throw to different baskets. This redesign makes more sense than the original but it is also still somewhat goofy. I would simply have moved the baskets around, it can't be that hard to dig up the concrete sleeves and move them.

5) Natural teepads can create foot planting issues, but at least they werent wore downt o gravel and dirt.
Other Thoughts: All in all this course was allright. it was fun to play, but also annoying at the same time. Playing it another time would certainly help me overcome some of the awkwardness.

FORE!!!

1    3/31/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: xsjunkie
Pros: -Mach 2 Baskets
-Elevation changes add to course challenge
-Mature trees protect the majority of the pins
-Playground and soccer field for those who don't play disc golf
-By appearance, the course isn't played much, so if you're looking for a quick round in solitude, this could be the place.
Cons: -Natural Tee Pads, in most cases I had to throw from further back to avoid stepping in holes
-Course layout has tee pads and pins a little too close for comfort on several holes. I think it not a good thing to be preparing for a drive, and taking anothers disc to the back of the head, or any other part for that matter
-The majority of the course is in a valley. It was wet with little to no rain for the last week, hate to see what it's like when the sky opens up.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play over lunch. There were branches that were trimmed from the trees by the pins and along the fairways that were cut and left. I assume the City of Long Grove is responsible for the maintenance and that this condition is not the norm. Only get one chance for a first impression. I might play this one again, and I might not.

nice little neighborhood park

1    11/28/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -a great use of available elevation here. 5/9 holes use the valley as elevation.
-Decent hole length, one shorty (number 1) but the rest have decent hole length for the small course area around 250-300.
-Pins are well protected, almost all the pins are surrounded by trees, and many have overhanging limbs to force low shots. Hole 1 was almost surrounded by pines, and hole 8 had a nice line of scrub trees protecting it.
-Course stays away from other park activities. There is a soccer field and a playground which were completely avoided in the layout of the course.
-Some nice shot variety here, I pulled out a small arsenal of shots.
Cons: -Natural teepads, they were pretty slick when I played, but I played back from them and it was fine.
-This course has a ton of overlap in the fairways, some of the that I noticed were 7-8, 3-4-5, 9-4 (somewhat), if this course had more than a group on it, it would be dangerous.
-The course was built along a drainage ditch in the valley, so it was nasty soggy.
Other Thoughts: The course was fun, but I was rather unimpressed by the overlapping holes. As a recreational course, the whole point is to have multiple groups 'recreating', but I think it would just end up in a head injury. I would skip the course if it were being played. If not, it was fun so go play.

very good for small area

1    8/24/2009   8/27/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: A very nice little valley. Small amount of land used very well to grant nine good holes of disc. Very well maintained park, with no litter. I played barefoot and felt no pain from rough terrain or, fear of glass the entire round.
As we entered the last half of the course; I realized; because I was writing them down, hole lengths were very similar. It hadn't felt that way, because the holes provide nice variety in shot selection and elevation.
But, I did make these notes: #6 plays slightly longer than 300, due to a slight uphill finish. #7 Begins with a fairly low ceiling and is a long slight anheiser (rhbh).
#9 is only 270 ft., but has extreme uphill elevation for the first half of the hole; resulting in the shot playing more like 330 ft.
Tee signs are quite basic. However, a nice addition is arrows, on a metal plate, on top of the chest high tee posts, showing direction to bucket.
Unworn tees illustrate that this one is an escape from the crowds.
Cons: The use of this rather small parcel of valley; although magical, presents one troubling aspect.....any amount of people on the course at one time will make for dangerous play. Buckets are usually close to tees. Also, buckets themselves, are grouped pretty closely together. We had the course to ourselves in the middle of a weekday; and, the course seems rather unplayed; though, very well kept; so, for us, was not an issue.
Other Thoughts: As hole lengths indicate; this is a 300 foot per hole course. No real long ones and only one 210 ft., MUST, bird. If this is a challenging range for you; you will enjoy the layout.