One of WI's first.
Pros: Concrete tee pads on most of the holes. Baskets on every hole, though most are in very poor shape. Park area available was used to the best of its ability. Navigation is sketchy. Multiple opportunities for ace runs. Holes extremely short in front nine. A small creek comes into play on numerous holes on the front nine. This is one of the original disc golf courses in WI so the short distances can somewhat be attributed to this. Many ace opportunities. Solid wooden tee signs, with hole number, basic hole layout and distance. Tons of ace runs.
Cons: Baskets! All baskets are present, however, they are almost all in VERY poor condition on the original nine. Tee pads extremely short when present. Distance is a joke. Many other park activities come into play on many of the 15? holes on this course. Ridiculously short holes. Baskets in horrendous shape on original layout. Not that anyone plays here, but if they did, there would be major issues with hole overlap, causing safety concerns to golfers and park users alike. It appears they use chickenwire to patch up baskets as well. Extremely short holes, bordering on absurd. Playground and volleyball courts come into play on many holes, which can be a safety issue.
Other Thoughts: One of the first disc golf courses in WI, and you can tell. EXREMELY short.
Shuster and Sweet
Pros: 1) I am a sucker for short tight and technical courses . . . so I was hooked right away.
2) Elevation change is essential to this design . . . it makes the tight wooded holes even more fun and challenging.
3) Nice use of the flowing river and also what looks like a drainageway on the first few holes . . . not always running water, but I thin it adds come character to the holes.
4) Good variety in tree usage and foliage density . . . some slightly more open with key trees, some tight tight tight and technical, some parklike holes with turfed areas and only a couple of obstacles to avoid.
5) Decent concrete teepads . . . always a plus . . .especially in winter.
6) SIgns have Hole #, Par, Distance and the holes are short enough you can usually figure out the general layout of the hole from the tee.
7) Challenge is everpresent even on the open holes . . . the wooded holes might require a little luck, but if you execute a good shot you will be reqrded usually.
Cons: 1) Requires a little too much luck on a few shots . . .I wouldn't recommend cutting trees down and opening the course right up, but you do need luck on a few shots to avoid a couple late trees.
2) Baskets are homemade and aren't just the quality I would like to see, but this is an old park and a small town so it will do just fine for here.
3) No garbage cans available, but the course seemed pretty clean regardless.
4) A couple of dangerous areas for park users, vehicles, etc . . .it is an old course when less land was needed back in the day but not anymore, perhaps some screens wether natural or unnatural should be put up . . . or baskets or tees moved.
5) A few areas where compaction and erosion are taking place . . . all in all not bad, but it is noticable . . . probably because it is an old old course.
6) Missing basket on either #12 or #15. . . it hink #12 was missing so we played to #15 instead.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course . . . old, historic, wooded, technical, elevation, creek/drainageways, and lots of trees . . . all in all it has enough to bring me back . . . nothing so memorable to make it an unmissable hole, but when you hit your line and park a few of the baskets you will remember that shot you executed perfectly. That is rewarding too!
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: -Great signs with hole number, par, and distance clearly marked.
-Almost all holes have little stickers on the basket pointing to where the next tee is.
-All of the tee pads except for one are very large concrete tee pads.
-The course is very clean and well kept.
Good mix of very wooded and moderately wooded holes.
Cons: -The pars provided are way too high for such a small course.
-No garbage cans throughout the course.
-Baskets are very old and only have one row of chains.
-Holes are very short.
-Hole 15 gets very close to children's play equipment.
Other Thoughts: It is one of the original courses in the state of Wisconsin. The holes are very short but it is a very fun course to play. The course has lots of history but if you are looking for a challenging course look someplace else.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Recently (2008) added 3 holes; as well as new/longer tees on other finishing holes.
Cons: Very short tees on most of the original nine. More than once, a family reunion type event at the pavilion has brought people into play.
Other Thoughts: Installed in 1988, so, one of original courses in state. Therefore, old style course with lots of holes under 300 foot. Some decent elevation and woods provide decent challenge. Play this one because of historical value and to see a nice park. If you're after championship caliber, this is not the place.
4 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.