One of WI's first.
Pros: Concrete tee pads on all of the holes. Though hole 4's can't really be called a tee pad, more like a tee block since it's about 2 feet by 3 feet. the rest are small but sizable enough for these holes. Baskets on every hole, though many are in very poor shape. Park area available was used to the best of its ability. Navigation is sketchy for first time players. Hole 1 starts on the north side of the pavilion with 2 being across the street to the north. Multiple opportunities for ace runs. Holes extremely short in front nine. A small creek comes into play on numerous holes on the front nine. This is one of the original disc golf courses in WI so the short distances can somewhat be attributed to this.There are added on holes in the playground section of the park I would guess. These newer holes over some better distance which rounds out the course more evenly. Solid wooden tee signs, with hole number, basic hole layout and distance. Tons of ace runs. There's a pretty decent bit of elevation, tight tight fairways and thick rough and rollaway potential too.
Cons: Baskets! All baskets are present, however, about 6 or 7 must be homemade that catch terribly. I've had quite a few nice putts land in the bottom cage and actually fall through the bottom. The rest of the baskets are Mach looking pins that catch just fine though. Distance is a joke on a few signs. Hole 4 says it's 131' I believe and it can't be more than 70'. Many other park activities come into play on many of the 15 holes on this course. Ridiculously short holes. Baskets in horrendous shape on original layout. Not that It's ever too busy here, but if it was, there would be major issues with hole overlap, causing safety concerns to golfers and park users alike. It appears they use chickenwire to patch up baskets as well. A couple extremely short holes, bordering on absurd. Playground and volleyball courts come into play on 3 holes and a pavilion and walking trail can come into play on 4 others, which can be a safety issue.
Other Thoughts: One of the first disc golf courses in WI, and you can tell. EXREMELY short on what I would guess is the original layout. It's nice that they added length with the additional holes. However I prefer the original tight wooded holes. It's actually challenging to hit your line through the tight lanes and not way overthrow the pin.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Shuster and Sweet
Pros: 1) I am a sucker for short tight and technical courses . . . so I was hooked right away.
2) Elevation change is essential to this design . . . it makes the tight wooded holes even more fun and challenging.
3) Nice use of the flowing river and also what looks like a drainageway on the first few holes . . . not always running water, but I thin it adds come character to the holes.
4) Good variety in tree usage and foliage density . . . some slightly more open with key trees, some tight tight tight and technical, some parklike holes with turfed areas and only a couple of obstacles to avoid.
5) Decent concrete teepads . . . always a plus . . .especially in winter.
6) SIgns have Hole #, Par, Distance and the holes are short enough you can usually figure out the general layout of the hole from the tee.
7) Challenge is everpresent even on the open holes . . . the wooded holes might require a little luck, but if you execute a good shot you will be reqrded usually.
Cons: 1) Requires a little too much luck on a few shots . . .I wouldn't recommend cutting trees down and opening the course right up, but you do need luck on a few shots to avoid a couple late trees.
2) Baskets are homemade and aren't just the quality I would like to see, but this is an old park and a small town so it will do just fine for here.
3) No garbage cans available, but the course seemed pretty clean regardless.
4) A couple of dangerous areas for park users, vehicles, etc . . .it is an old course when less land was needed back in the day but not anymore, perhaps some screens wether natural or unnatural should be put up . . . or baskets or tees moved.
5) A few areas where compaction and erosion are taking place . . . all in all not bad, but it is noticable . . . probably because it is an old old course.
6) Missing basket on either #12 or #15. . . it hink #12 was missing so we played to #15 instead.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course . . . old, historic, wooded, technical, elevation, creek/drainageways, and lots of trees . . . all in all it has enough to bring me back . . . nothing so memorable to make it an unmissable hole, but when you hit your line and park a few of the baskets you will remember that shot you executed perfectly. That is rewarding too!
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.