Fairmont, WV
Seth Burton Memorial DGC Share

Fun and Interesting Course!

1    8/22/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: This course is very well maintained and has a unique mix of holes. I wasn't expecting this course to be anything more than a warmup for Orange Crush. What I found was that it was a very unique mix of situations requiring just about everything in my arsenal, many of which I rarely use and aren't polished as a result. My favorite hole was the short downhill par 3.
Cons: There are no real cons to this course. The one thing that I wasn't sure I was going to like before playing itw as the close proximity to the road for just about the entire course. I only recall a dozen or so cars passing us for our entire 2.5 hour round, so it wasn't an issue at all.
Other Thoughts: This is a great counterpart for it's sister course, Orange Crush.

2-4    7/8/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: lilniners
Pros: The tee pads are nicely labeled with maps as well as long and short.

The course tests your big arm while also bringing plenty of trees as obstacles into play.

The holes have flags on top to help gauge the placement and distance.
Cons: The holes are not marked to show where the next tee pad is located (although there are maps provided at tee pad 1).

Accuracy does not play a major role on this course. I like courses that require distance and accuracy.
Other Thoughts: This park has a great mix of courses between the Orange Crush and Seth Burton Memorial. One requires a big arm while the other requires accuracy.

I like to call this course the Lemon Squeeze to complement the Orange Crush.

My Right Leg Needed a Stilt

1    5/2/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: A unique course that plays along the top of a pretty mountain park with mature hardwoods, maintained lawns and an ever sloping hillside from left to right for 13 of the 18 holes. There are 3 holes that slope to the left and the other 2 go straight up and down. There are no true downhill drives here, but the elevation is constantly present providing for tricky footing, fast roll aways (hint:watch your disc in flight and continue to watch it after it hits the earth as often mine would roll to another zip code altogether..a few times I bent down to pick up my bag and was mystified at how my disc ended up 100 feet from where I thought it landed) A road that doubles as a walking route is also a factor in shot placement on 15 of the holes. So there is challenge deriving from sloping geography, roads, hardwoods, and some moderate distance considering all the oob danger and trees. There are 2 longer holes 12 & 14 and 2 very fun hill holes 8 going straight up to a hilltop green and 9 straight back down short floater with danger oob (road) behind the basket.Very scenic old park with interesting stonework throughout. Bathrooms and water available. I threw a good mix of discs. I found the stretch of holes from 8-14 to be the most enjoyable and unique on the course. 10 had a tricky basket perched on a bank next to the road,11 was a delightful downhill drive through the hardwoods, 12 was a grassy more open hole away from the road finally, 13 was a perfect hyzer line followed by 14 which was a perfect long anyzer line. Plenty to think about and execute while you are huffing and puffing trying to keep your balance. Orange Crush is nearby which adds to the overall site. 16 offered a great risk/reward as you could dare yourself to go for it by driving right up the gut and risk hyzering/tree plinking off the hillside to oob hard left or play a safer wider line and hyzer within approach range. Tunnel Shot of 17 is quite challenging as well.
Cons: I got sick of the ever present slope and the never ending road. It just seemed that too often I was hitting my drive only to hit a tree and hit street or worse land perfectly but then roll 100+ feet into the road. Cruel and not really fair.(not whining it's just too random for my tastes..I don't mind such holes sprinkled occasionaly on a course but when every hole plays the same way it gets tiresome) Effort was made in most cases to put the basket on flatter ground..but there really is no truly flat ground in West Virginia. Much of the course plays in a drive approach and putt manner in which birdies and bogeys would be rare for seasoned players. 17 is a bitch of a hole..probably best played by intentionally playing the fence or throwing short controlled putts rather than risk the steep and incredibly thick woods to the right. (what is it about West Virginia...it has the thickest spindly tree masses I have ever seen...difficult to walk through these woods let alone find an errant toss) 18 is a bummer of a final hole...I kept waiting for something special to materialize but I got letdown here. The steep incline walk from 14 to 15 would have been a great spike hyzer shot or steep anny IMO....would have been a chance to do something different rather than the same type of hole over and over.
Other Thoughts: This is a course that will challenge you and provide some thrills. A regular player here will refine his game as many types of skills are needed here. It's well maintained and only a handful of times will the thick forest come into play. I would avoid this one if it was wet or icy. I slipped and fell a handful of times.....I really don't understand the obesity rate in West Virginia...seems everyone should be in remarkable shape with all these crazy hills everywhere!

LeVar Green

2-4    4/3/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Multiple concrete tee locations for most holes. Same site as the 18-hole, more densely-wooded Orange Crush course.
Cons:
Steep walk from #15 to #16 - treacherous when wet. Broad walking path used by many non-players comes near flightpaths on some holes.
Plays in a counter-clockwise direction, mostly around, sometimes on top, of the large hill that forms this public park just a couple minutes off of I79. The hardwood trees scattered across the hill are very tall, so their trunks, vice their branches, are what will typically come into play. Primarily plays flat/across gentle portions of the slope, with some downhill shots, only one significantly so.

No long tee for #3 and #5. No short tee for #12. The long tee for #14 is not concrete, but was simple enough to locate. Tee signs, for the most part, are near the short tee locations, and indicate where the long tee is located.

Favourite hole: #13. Slightly down-slope, subtle left-turner - put it through the Y-shaped gap of the large tree about half between the tee and basket (field goal!), and you might park it.
Least favourite hole: #17. Steep, tree-filled slope to your left, long-n-high tennis court (defunct) fence to your right, requiring one very long, very straight drive - with a tree at the end of it, and the basket farther along and to the right,

Good course with decent length, mixture of mostly-to-moderately open/flat-to-downslope, slightly left-turning biased.

Mountain Goat

2-4    3/18/2010   3/19/2010
Review By: slmcdonald21
Pros: Excellent course that forces you to forehand, backhand, hammer, roll, and any other throw you can think of to get a great score. The course had a good variety of let-it-rip holes and tight precision holes. Several of the holes are rather intimidating like #8 and #9. #8 is only 231ft, but it is the steepest uphill shot I have ever had to make. Hole 9 is just as steep, but it is downhill. The slightest mistake will have your disc sailing OB.
Cons: They were out of score cards when I went, so I did not have access to a map. It was very easy to get lost between a few holes. I luckily found a scorecard that had fallen out of someone's bag. The map makes it some easier.
Other Thoughts: It is WV, so you feel like a mountain goat while traversing the course. Be prepared to be worn out at the end of your round. Make sure you have good shoes.
The locals obviously care about their course and maintain it well.

my adopted home

5+    2/4/2010   2/11/2010
Review By: allinpflop
Pros: Very nice tees, baskets, and signage. The course is layed out in a very logical way, almost no chance to get lost. Given the fact that the park is nearly flat (especially by WV standards) good use of limited elevation. Other park facilities available are a big plus for me. Bathrooms and water available except in winter. Everyone I have ever talked to at the course has been very nice and have had discs returned that I left behind.
Cons: Lack of variety as stated by others several holes feel vary similar in type of shot required and total length of hole. No par 4s or par 5s. Somewhat RHBH favored (good for me but no fair for all). At least for me many holes I can make my 3 and move on regardless of my tee shot and really have no chance to make the 2. Would prefer more scoring variance per hole. The holes have 2 pin positions but it doesn't seem like the local club moves them very often.
Other Thoughts: This course can be summarized as a fairly open course with lots of OB from park roads providing the challenge. As mentioned by others, the park has another 18 hole course that make for a great but exhausting day of disc golf. If you are in the area you owe it to yourself to give this course a try.

Hate #17... but that's my own fault!

2-4    6/17/2008   1/2/2009
Review By: Jimb
Pros: Course is in a nice park with other activities available (playgrounds, walking paths, run-down tennis and basketball courts). Seth Burton is on the same site as 18 more holes at Orange Crush.

Nice concrete tee pads and signage. When using the course map, just try to use it to tell you which side of the road the tees are on and walk counter clockwise around the big hill to your left. Otherwise, the map can be a bit confusing.

A nice variety of shot-making skills is required to score well here. The length alone isn't short, but it isn't overwhelming either. Most every hole presents many obstacles (trees mainly) preventing a direct path to the pin. You have to be confident with both hyzer and anhyzer shots. "Trick" shots shouldn't normally be needed unless you find yourself well off of the nicely groomed fairways. There are a few holes that present serious roll-away possibilities on hard landing approaches so you have to haave nice touch around the greens. The course presents a nice cardio workout as you're constantly moving up and down over the rolling hills of the course.
Cons: The course basically runs counter clockwise around a big hill. So several of the holes do play similar to others on the course. About half of the holes tilt down from left to right. This is just nit-picking, though.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course to play. My title about hating #17 is really tongue in cheek. The hole kicked my butt all three times I played it. It's a "tunnel" shot of about 250' between a tennis court fence to the right and a severe dropoff into the woods on the left. The hole just spooked me each time I played it and the fence ate up my drives each time. I look forward to getting some payback on that hole next Summer. The highlight of my rounds was on #12, a 515' foot hole between the woods on the right and OB road on the left. It rolls over a couple nice knolls. At the time I played it, my drives were limited to about 250' So when I cranked out a 250' drive I was happy. But when I parked my 265' approach within 3' of the basket for an easy 3 (Pro PAR) I was thrilled.

If you're travelling up I79 through West Virginia, definitely check it out. If you're near Morgantown, WV (WVU), definitely check it out. If you're within 100 miles or so, definitely check it out. You shouldn't be disappointed.

1    12/27/2008   12/29/2008
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
This review was updated on 9/9/2011
Pros: Hole Variety/Course Layout--
Slight elevation is used on almost every hole (A couple holes with very good elevation change). Alot of the time the holes play on the side of the parks main hill. The course for the most part follows a walking trail in a circle around the park (The walking path gets in the way sometimes and you have to wait for people to pass before you throw).

Course Atmosphere--
Nice park on top of a huge hill. Theres alot of old stairways, bridges and random brick structures. You can even see the original cobelstone road under the concrete on parts of the road leading up to the park. You feel like your playing in an old pilgrim park or something.

Course Maintenance--
Good, I didnt see vandalism anywhere and it was always clean. Also baskets and signs were in good shape. There are concrete tee pads on every hole.
Cons: Course Navigation--
Theres a clear sign how to get to hole #1 and maps are available. The map isnt the best though, it can even confuse you worse at times.
Other Thoughts: Hazards--
Water on a couple holes, although it would be hard to lose a disc it is still very possible.

Traffic--
We saw only one group of golfers but theres alot of people who walk the circle path in the park.

--There are no "B baskets" like it says on the signs and map. Theres only one basket per hole. Also unlike most of the pictures, the signs have been moved off the tees

--Besides the course itself, "Morris Park" is a nice park with a basketball court, tennis courts, playgrounds, and nice walking paths, with some cool views from hill tops.

--The entrance to the park is very easy to miss. Coming from both directions there are little browns signs that say next left/right. And the signs are not lying, you literally want to take the next turn. Its a steep uphill road with brick pillars on both sides. We missed it the first time because it looked like the entrance to a cemetery.

A great place to play

5+    9/21/2008   9/30/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
This review was updated on 9/26/2014
Pros: Great mix of holes that will challenge your accuracy. 2 sets of tees and pins allow all levels of players an enjoyable time at this course. Another great Johnny Sias designed course. The Orange Crush course is in the same park as this course, which makes for a great day of disc golf. One of my favorite places to play. Cool old park with giant trees and neat stonework and other cool features.

I bumped up my rating to a 4.5 after playing here again recently. I've played about 50 rounds on this course over the years and I absolutely love it. One of my favorite courses of all time. With the 2 sets of permanent pins, the course gives you everything you could ever need in a course. This truly is one of the best courses in the world. Orange Crush is awesome, but hard to maintain. The original Seth Burton is just a classic Johnny Sias designed course that is usually perfectly manicured.

Cons: The whole course slopes to the right. OB road on every hole (not a con, but it's there)
Other Thoughts: If you are ever driving on I-79 through West Virginia, you should most definitely stop and play the 2 courses in this park. You will not regret it. The Seth Burton Course is one of the most enjoyable places to play disc golf that I know of. The locals are cool people too, so check out their webpage and try to play in their league or events.

www.wvdiscgolf.org

1    7/31/2008   8/31/2008
Review By: Qwikstreet
Pros: Great distance, plays like my home course (Lehigh Parkway), multiple tees and basket positions
Cons: Dangerous entrance way to the park!!!