Sacramento (Orangevale), CA
Shady Oaks Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #6 (Taken 2/2015)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
The Local Advantage

2-4    3/15/2015   3/16/2015
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: The design of this course is really something amazing. There are no holes that look the same and the land used is used in such an incredible way that it is really something special. The tee pads are nice and big and the baskets are consistent. The tee signs look nice and have accurate information. Final 9 sports is right there on location offering discs and other accessories. There are a lot of locals that clearly love this course and keep improving the course over time as they can. The flow of the course is good. There is a lot of fun and interesting shots on this course. As far as scoring separation from a good shot and a bad shot, this is one of the best courses I have seen. There is a very nice picnic area and practice area near Final 9 sports and teh first tee. There is a good amount of signage in order to find the next tees. There are several places on this course that simply look beautiful, as in the course itself looks beautiful. There are lots fo nice bridges and stepping stones to get over water features or other areas that become muddy. There are multiple basekt locations and a few alternate tees.
Cons: The baskets are older and could use an upgrade to the newer, better catching baskets. There are lots of places to potentially find poison oak. There are several holes that are very not begginner friendly. In talking with locals, I learned that the crowds on this course can be very bad, especially on the weekends. This along with the fact that several holes are on top of each other or have blind elements, there can be some serious issues. There is also tennis courts near Final 9 and the first tee with very run down bathrooms right there, only adding to the frustrations with crowds. The parking lot is not big enough to handle what I imagine to be the crowds that will be at this course. There are a couple of longer ish walks between holes that would be confusing without signage. There are some drainage ditches that provide some awesome water features when there is water in them, but I never saw water in them. There are some walking paths to go through the course, which may have people walking them without really know what is going on with the disc golf course.
Other Thoughts: The design of this course is really good.and props goes to the locals that make this course home. The experience is really enjoyable and I would highly reccomend playing this course. Playing this course consistently will make you a better player. I feel like this course is only going to get better as improvements are continually made. The pyramid hole is something I was told was a new addition to the course and I thought was very well done and made the course that much more interesting. Even after a few rounds on this course, there are still holes that I am replaying in my head. There has to be a way to figure out how to play this course, but it is not necessarily a course that one can just figure out in one round, which will always keep things interesting. I was fortunate enough to play this course as part of the 2015 St. Patty's Classic tournament. I would highly reccomend playing in tournaments run by the same people on this course or other courses as they did a wonderful job. Really there are not enough good things to say about the people associated with this course in one way or another.

Where I learned to pay.

5+    10/8/2014   11/19/2014
Review By: Taz Michael
Pros: Very few hikers, bikers, etc to get in your throwing area. Lots of obstacles and water hazards. Not a beginner course, for sure.
Cons: Very popular course, so wait time can be a pain. The placement nails (for hole placement guide) are often wrong, so you throw blindly to a few holes.
Other Thoughts: The pro-shop is awesome. Very friendly staff and average pricing on their equipment.

Classic Course for the Area

5+    7/13/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: MrSpectroscopy
Pros: Technical
Good variation (doglegs L+R, distance, etc)
Pro shop on site
Good signage
Large cement teepads
Elevation changes
Cons: Crowds
Summer heat
Other Thoughts: Great course. The local club provides a good atmosphere. The course is well-maintained with bridges that span the creek and stepping stones in potentially muddy areas. Benches at every hole.

Shady Oaks - Me likey

1    1/25/2014   1/31/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: Great selection of shots. Since I am new to the game (only about a year playing) I decided to play this course for the 1st time. I was intimidated going in, but that went away after a few holes. Love the layout: Long, short, dogleg left, dogleg right...etc. Lots of trees, probably why it has the name of Shady Oaks. Great scenery and they have a Final 9 to get supplies before you play or after the 9th.
Cons: SO MANY PEOPLE!! If you time it right on the weekend, you can get there before the regulars get up and out of bed. Small parking lot and really hard if there are lots of people to find a place to park. Water hazard can be a bit of a pain, but there would have to be rain in the area for that to happen.
Other Thoughts: When taking a large group of people to play here; more than 5 or 6, please be nice and let those that have smaller groups play through or at least hang back and let them go. I was behind a group of people that were there to talk, drink and not play really. It was kind of a pain, but only lasted until hole #3.

still my favorite course

5+    12/30/2013   1/1/2014
Review By: adamtheviking5
Pros: To start there's a pro shop on site with almost every disc imaginable as well as refreshments. There's a practice basket set up for around the wirld and 2 more in a horseshoe pit set up so you can throw back and forth. The course is 18 great holes through an oak grove right in the middle of town but once your on the 3rd hole you forget your not in the woods somewhere. There's a cool creek that snakes through many of the holes. The shots are long short medium left right straight and even some up and down. Some risk/reward and lots of fun. Great locals make this a cool place to visit. Restrooms on site.
Cons: Lots of people play here and if you go in the afternoon or on weekends you should expect a wait. Undercover cops looking for drugs and alcahol. When the creeks full there's risk of loosing discs.
Other Thoughts: I lived in the area for a long time and this was my favorite course. I've moved away and played 70 other courses and guess what....still my favorite. Stop here if your in norcal and patronize the shop. Jims the gyt who runs it and hes a grump but even grumps gotta eat.

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: krife
Pros: Great variety of terrain, elevation, baskets, long and short holes. Although there are no big arm-wrenching par 4's or 5's, there are a few that really tested my arm. Technical holes aplenty. The creek clearly adds a whole new dimension of difficulty when it is running.
Cons: As many others have said, this place is crowded. I spent at least 5 minutes waiting on most of the tees, and my round lasted 2 1/2 hours. I would also like to see some alternate tee pads, but with as many as 4 basket locations I doubt regulars get bored often. Poison oak on a couple of holes on the back 9.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while visiting Sacramento for a wedding from Seattle. My cousin and I certainly felt some animosity from the locals (especially in the pro shop) which was likely due to the fact I was rocking my Seahawks hat, lol. However, we ended up playing with two other twosomes who were very friendly and great course guides, pointing out holes where you need a spotter on your tee shots #3 comes to mind). Big thanks to Taz and Chili for showing us around, sharing the kind, and most of all pointing out the poison oak (which I was seconds away from trampling into)! Shady Oaks is one of the coolest courses I've played.

A personal Favorite

5+    8/15/2012   5/20/2013
Review By: toomanymoose
Pros: This was the course I learned to play on. After playing several other course I still put this at the top of my list.
The course offers a variety of challenges from wooded areas to a few wide open holes.
During the summer the fairways tend to be really dry so big skips and rollers are common. That could fall in the cons depending on your playing style.
The only course I have been to with a pro shop located on site.
They also have multiple pin placements which they change fairly frequently so your always getting a new challenge
Cons: The course is very popular so get there early to avoid crowds.
They are some who come who dont respect the rules, environment, etiquette, etc, and odds are on a busy day you will run into them.
When the water is running(or standing) there are a few places you may find yourself in a deep dirty water hazard and discs can be hard to find.
Other Thoughts: Still one of my favorite places to play. They have been cracking down more and more over the years on drinking/smoking, so if you chose to do so, try to avoid the areas where houses and other park patrons are around. There is no need to carry a 30 pack with you and be smoking next to a family having a day out at the park. I have seen this happen many times and that is a big reason why they are getting upset. Compared to other courses i would say this is the least lax course in that sense, that's why i at least wanted to say a few words about it.
Overall, if your looking for a challenging course that is fun to play, I recommend checking it out

Technical Course

1    1/26/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: JonCatch
Pros: Great layout. Numerous Trees to keep you guessing. Very removed from urban environment.
Cons: A small creek runs right down the middle of many holes and you might be fishing.
Other Thoughts: Lots of right bends, so make sure you bring your anhyzer game.

Thank the shade of the oaks!

1    7/27/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 8/3/2012
Pros: A very challenging course that has a creek that runs through much of the layout (creating more challenge and thoughtful shot selection). A little elevation is thrown into the mix on a dusty track (in summer) and replace this dust with a mix of grass & tall grass in the winter. The multiple pin placements were pointed out by the locals and had me drooling for more.

Though it was a busy day and I reached a log jam on hole #5 (see cons), the group ahead of me offered to let me play with them which added much enjoyment to my round. It always having good company (and course guides!).

Fantastic amenities - Pro shop, Around the world putting course, 2 other practice baskets, and restrooms!

Cons: A very popular course - so be patient and expect to wait a bit at the tee pads. Though other reviewers claim that people won't let you play through, I did not have this issue. Hole #5 is a typical spot for a log jam - due to the difficulty level of 5 & 6, and intersecting fairways. Beyond that, the waits were not bad.

The creekbed was dry when I played, but I was told that when wet, it is very swampy and easy to lose a disc in the deep water. I don't like losing discs (does anyone?), but some of the fairways are just waiting to gobble your discs - even with a seemingly decent drive.
Other Thoughts: Get good on this course in the summer, and then you will have the confidence to challenge that creek in the winter. I'm telling you, my shots would have changed to a far more conservative game if that creek had been running. At the same time, I look at that as a positive - I like to have holes that require some finesse instead of just blasting every shot.

Holes 13-18 seemed very quiet compared with the rest of the course - I played this convenient loop a couple of times late in the day, instead of playing the crowded front 9.

Valley Jewel

5+    4/22/2012   4/25/2012
Review By: Steve G
Pros: As mentioned before, lots of challenging holes and plenty of variations. Pretty good bunch of folks that frequent the place. Used by many age groups and ethnic backgrounds.
Cons: Beware of walkers, joggers, horses, family's etc.
Drinking, cigs and 420 have cast a shadow, unfortunately. Citations are not unheard of and the tolerance level by the neighboring home owners is growing thinner. The course post warnings to violators at the 1st tee.
Other Thoughts: I love the diversity of this course. The dog legs and tricky basket placements keep you on your toes. The creek comes into play often and creates plenty of risk reward shots. I spent 15 minutes, knee high in the creek for 15 minutes, two weeks ago, and never found my Orc! Love that disc. Two day's later it was waiting for me in the pro-shop. Good karma to whoever you are =)

< Prev 1 2 3 4